Jodi Arias Penalty

But how could she get in a fight if she's in closed custody solitary?

I think that's old from her last fight and the reporter was incorrect. She has all the deputies because she's a convict now.

But she's been a convict since the verdict reading. Why is now different than the last penalty phase?

And also don't they need to start picking a new jury.. I suspect that's going to take a long time. We probably won't have the retrial for months.

I guess they don't want jurors selected ahead of time, who might want to do their own research, while waiting for the trial to start.

Maybe HLN will cover it later? But how will they with no correspondents?

But how could she get in a fight if she's in closed custody solitary?

I think that's old from her last fight and the reporter was incorrect. She has all the deputies because she's a convict now.

But she's been a convict since the verdict reading. Why is now different than the last penalty phase?

And also don't they need to start picking a new jury.. I suspect that's going to take a long time. We probably won't have the retrial for months.

I don't know. Also, there were other people waiting for court in the courtroom, this wasn't like a full Jodi day, this was one hearing in the middle of a docket of hearings.

Was WAT there?

Yes; I saw WAT tweeting on the ABC15 feed.

There was a feed? I thought there wasn't going to be a feed. Oh well, got work done.

Yep, but it was only for comments from the media (ABC15 link).

Live Video | ABC15.com | Phoenix, Arizona | KNXV-TV | Local and Breaking News, Weather, Radar, Traffic, Life, Sports

Jodi Arias sentencing: No ruling from judge on postponement of penalty phase

"PHOENIX - A judge on Thursday announced she will not rule on a motion to postpone the Jodi Arias sentencing phase to January 2014.
Judge Sherry Stephens set another court date to July 18.
Arias arrived in the courtroom wearing jailhouse stripes and went into the judge's chambers shortly after 8:30 a.m. with attorneys and the aunt of victim Travis Alexander.
Judge Stephens heard motions from both sides in the judge's chambers and was expected to issue a ruling.
Prosecutor Juan Martinez asked Judge Stephens earlier this month to reject the defense team's request to delay until next year, saying none of the reasons offered in their motion warrants a postponement.

Arias' attorneys asked for a postponement to allow their client time to gather witnesses to testify on her behalf.
They also have said they have scheduling conflicts with the current July 18 date set for retrial.
Arias was convicted of first-degree murder May 8 in the June 2008 death of her former boyfriend, Alexander.
About two weeks later, the same panel failed to reach a unanimous decision on whether to her punishment."

Notice what I highlighted in RED. The hearing for the motion is re-set for July 18, same day the 2nd round of the penalty phase was to begin. So if they have schedule conflicts with that date for the retrial, why are they ok with a ruling on the motion that day? HMMMMMMM :eusa_whistle:

There was a feed? I thought there wasn't going to be a feed. Oh well, got work done.

Live Video | ABC15.com | Phoenix, Arizona | KNXV-TV | Local and Breaking News, Weather, Radar, Traffic, Life, Sports

"PHOENIX - A judge on Thursday announced she will not rule on a motion to postpone the Jodi Arias sentencing phase to January 2014.
Arias arrived in the courtroom wearing jailhouse stripes and went into the judge's chambers shortly after 8:30 a.m. with attorneys and the aunt of victim Travis Alexander.
Judge Stephens heard motions from both sides in the judge's chambers and was expected to issue a ruling.
Prosecutor Juan Martinez asked Judge Stephens earlier this month to reject the defense team's request to delay until next year, saying none of the reasons offered in their motion warrants a postponement.

Arias' attorneys asked for a postponement to allow their client time to gather witnesses to testify on her behalf.
They also have said they have scheduling conflicts with the current July 18 date set for retrial.
Arias was convicted of first-degree murder May 8 in the June 2008 death of her former boyfriend, Alexander.
About two weeks later, the same panel failed to reach a unanimous decision on whether to her punishment."

Notice what I highlighted in RED. The hearing for the motion is re-set for July 18, same day the 2nd round of the penalty phase was to begin. So if they have schedule conflicts with that date for the retrial, why are they ok with a ruling on the motion that day? HMMMMMMM :eusa_whistle:

I'm guessing there will be another motion or delay but why not just say something today? Maybe Wilmott will just handle the motion while Nurmi is out of town. She can handle the motion alone its not the same as picking a new jury where they both need to be there.

OT: I'm having a 100 comment smack down on my FB wall about Miley Cyrus' new trash/bi/WTF video.

Laughing out loud.

I noted your red earlier and went back and red the original motion which included THAT DATE. mmm-hmmm.

Tink - the point on that, is if JW is going to handle it, why file the motion they had to postpone due to that, then schedule the date for that date cited in the motion. yep. whatevah.

I figured it was something like, get your witnesses and we'll see what your progress is in a month before she rules. Dang, if you can't get some witnesses in 30-60 days, how you going to get some by January? Waiting for the niece/nephew to grow old enough to testify on her behalf?

Testy, Dr. Drew is going to have Zimmerman's bro on tonight. I'm not interested, but I know you are.

I noted your red earlier and went back and red the original motion which included THAT DATE. mmm-hmmm.

Tink - the point on that, is if JW is going to handle it, why file the motion they had to postpone due to that, then schedule the date for that date cited in the motion. yep. whatevah.

I figured it was something like, get your witnesses and we'll see what your progress is in a month before she rules. Dang, if you can't get some witnesses in 30-60 days, how you going to get some by January? Waiting for the niece/nephew to grow old enough to testify on her behalf?

Maybe they are trying to get, ahem, "expert" witnesses to commit to a time?

Forum List

Back