Joe Biden Delivers Christmas Address Without Saying the Word "Jesus" or "Christ"

According to Christians, Jesus is God they are one and the same.
I get that. And Biden made note that Christians believe that. That’s true.

What would have been wrong is if Biden said it was true. Then he is making a statement in which he says one specific religion is right, and that the others are wrong. I‘m sure his speechwriters were aware od the distinction and crafted an accepted sentence.

Technically, Biden was wrong to focus solely on Christianity. He softened it somewhat by saying Christians BELIEVE Jesus was the son of G-d (rather than stating it as absolute fact, as many Christians do when arguing disrespectfully with a Jew), but to REALLY keep to the Constitution, he should have said “during this, the Holiday season, when Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus, Jews celebrate the miracle of Hanukah” and so forth.

But I’m OK with the way he said it: he acknowledged what Christians believe - rather than state it as absolute fact, thus endorsing a specific religion.
Agree. As president, he represents all of us, and there are multiple important winter holi (holy) days that are not specifically acknowledged and even Christians do not celebrate Christmas on the same day, the orthodox churches celebrate it on January 7th. We are a nation of many religions, it is silly that folks get triggered over this.

I wonder if all the people who are getting butt hurt about Biden not specifically saying Jesus' name know that at one time, Christmas was banned in certain areas of the United States.

Namely Boston, and it was banned by the Puritans.

Well, I can understand that....And you're not wrong, I have witnessed that as well..However, what matters is how you respond to people when they show that intolerance? My approach is usually to just smile and tell them I hope they have a wonderful day....

I have never once experienced people getting bent out of shape over Holiday Greetings, but then I don't live in a country where even Christmas has been politicized.

There is not and has never been a "war on Christmas" as claimed by F0X News. This is just another attempt by Rupert Murdoch to inflame hate against the left. This doesn't happen in countries where Murdoch owns no media outlets.

I have never once experienced people getting bent out of shape over Holiday Greetings, but then I don't live in a country where even Christmas has been politicized.

There is not and has never been a "war on Christmas" as claimed by F0X News. This is just another attempt by Rupert Murdoch to inflame hate against the left. This doesn't happen in countries where Murdoch owns no media outlets.

Politicizing Christmas and saying that there is a war on it makes American conservatives happy. They aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about.

Did he say his white leg hair is as white and flowing as Santa's beard, and Elves love to stroke it?

There wasn't any friggin law being pass. It was the President being an asshole in a failed Christmas message.

Only Joe Potatohead can screw up a Christmas message. Just like Obama said in the only thing he ever got right; "never underestimate the ability of Joe to fuck something up".
I think you missed my original post. I was brining up the fact that having a purely religious based holiday like Chtismas as an official national holiday violates the first amendment due to the fact that it, by extention, equates the government recognizing Christian as official.

These aren’t “refugees”…. They’re just people looking to take the easy path in the US, instead of making their own country better.

How many people would walk for three months through the jungle, and call it an "easy path"? These people are fearing for their lives, because of your country's policies. They're experiencing famine, drought, earthquakes, and political upheaval.

They're not in a position to make "their own country better". They don't live in safe, western democracies. They live in corrupt, dictatorships, or in the case of Haitians, in complete ancharcy.

I think you missed my original post. I was brining up the fact that having a purely religious based holiday like Chtismas as an official national holiday violates the first amendment due to the fact that it, by extention, equates the government recognizing Christian as official.

No, it's recognizing that close to 70% of the country recognizes Christmas as a religious holiday, so everyone, not just Christians, but everybody, gets a holiday. Just like when I worked for Jewish firms, I was given the High Holidays off work, and told that even if I felt inclined to come into work, don't.

….or applying through regular immigration channels. Instead they try to pretend they are victims and make up bogus asylum claims.

There are no “regular immigration channels”. Trump dismantled the entire immigration and visa system. And cut staffing at the embassies.

But but I thought Biden was deeply devout religious Catholic.

santacut.png

And we look to the sky, to a lone star, shining brighter than all the rest, guiding us to the birth of a child — a child Christians believe to be the son of God; miraculously now, here among us on Earth, bringing hope, love and peace and joy to the world.

Sell stupid elsewhere.

Agree. As president, he represents all of us, and there are multiple important winter holi (holy) days that are not specifically acknowledged and even Christians do not celebrate Christmas on the same day, the orthodox churches celebrate it on January 7th. We are a nation of many religions, it is silly that folks get triggered over this.

These are the same folks that drop to their fainting couch over the imaginary 'war on Christmas'.

Getting triggered is kinda their jam.

How many people would walk for three months through the jungle, and call it an "easy path"? These people are fearing for their lives, because of your country's policies. They're experiencing famine, drought, earthquakes, and political upheaval.

They're not in a position to make "their own country better". They don't live in safe, western democracies. They live in corrupt, dictatorships, or in the case of Haitians, in complete ancharcy.
Not according to the questions they answer when given the opportunity...Most are coming here because of the promise of being able to make more money....That is not fleeing some sort of oppression that you fanaticize about...

Not according to the questions they answer when given the opportunity...Most are coming here because of the promise of being able to make more money....That is not fleeing some sort of oppression that you fanaticize about...

I have never seen a refugee interviewed who even mentioned the prospect of making money. They all talk about the terror of the gangs in their home countries. 0f gangs kidnapping their daughters, and a complete breakdown of law and order in their home countries.

You keep projecting your own thoughts onto people fleeing dangerous conditions. You've never seriously considered what you would do if there was a complete breakdown of law and order in your country, because you've never had to face that circumstance.

I heard one man say they were trying to get into the USA so they could go to Canada. His family want to live in Canada. Come ahead man. We're ready to take you and help you get yourself established here. Canada's immigration program is thriving. We are the #1 best country in the world to live in, and we are the most welcoming to immigrants.

I have never seen a refugee interviewed who even mentioned the prospect of making money. They all talk about the terror of the gangs in their home countries. 0f gangs kidnapping their daughters, and a complete breakdown of law and order in their home countries.

You keep projecting your own thoughts onto people fleeing dangerous conditions. You've never seriously considered what you would do if there was a complete breakdown of law and order in your country, because you've never had to face that circumstance.

I heard one man say they were trying to get into the USA so they could go to Canada. His family want to live in Canada. Come ahead man. We're ready to take you and help you get yourself established here. Canada's immigration program is thriving. We are the #1 best country in the world to live in, and we are the most welcoming to immigrants.

Good we should relocate all of them to Canada, then we‘ll see how welcoming you are.

No, it's recognizing that close to 70% of the country recognizes Christmas as a religious holiday, so everyone, not just Christians, but everybody, gets a holiday. Just like when I worked for Jewish firms, I was given the High Holidays off work, and told that even if I felt inclined to come into work, don't.
Except for the fact that if they gave any other religion's holiday official recognition as a national holiday, the vast majority of christians would be up in arms claiming that it violates their religious rights.

Except for the fact that if they gave any other religion's holiday official recognition as a national holiday, the vast majority of christians would be up in arms claiming that it violates their religious rights.
A fairer solution would to make Christmas and Easter regular working days, and then give everyone two personal religious days. Christians would use them for Christmas and Easter, and Jews could use them for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, and not have to use annual leave. People of other religions could use the two days how they chose.

It’s a win-win.

Forum List

Back