Judge: Detroit bankruptcy dishonors Obama

We're seeing the same bullshit here in Barfalo:

State orders Buffalo to send students from 2 failing schools to BOCES - City & Region - The Buffalo News

To top it off, the Buffalo Fire Department'ws firefighters just got a new contract after twelve fucking years!! But the kicker is there's a new "dynamic staffing" program in place. Here's how it works. If five or more firefighters call of in one shift, one company closes (usually an Engine or Truck ).

After the Republicans and wall street crashed the economy in 2008, there's less money to provide fire protection.
Hey asswipe. Buffalo had not had one single Republican mayor since Chester P. Kowal in the early 1960s. The ONLY time Buffalo was ever solvent was when we had a CONSERVATIVE mayor in James D. Griffin!!!

You mean before Republican business owners pulled steel manufacturing.The Republicans/wall street crashed the economy (auto manufacturing)? You guys have been really screwed by Republicans. No wonder Chester got the boot!

After the Republicans and wall street crashed the economy in 2008, there's less money to provide fire protection.
Hey asswipe. Buffalo had not had one single Republican mayor since Chester P. Kowal in the early 1960s. The ONLY time Buffalo was ever solvent was when we had a CONSERVATIVE mayor in James D. Griffin!!!

You mean before Republican business owners pulled steel manufacturing.The Republicans/wall street crashed the economy (auto manufacturing)? You guys have been really screwed by Republicans. No wonder Chester got the boot!
Hey shit for brains. Sedita, Makowski, Griffin, Masiello, and now Brown are all Democrats, idiot! All but one of these were or are Liberals. And as I stated, Griffin was the only one out of that batch that got the city solvent. And he was a staunch pro-life Conservative!!!

Yes, and he'll use the same methods to save the economy of the U.S., so brace yourself.

If you don't vote out Republicans it will be.

So you support one party Leftist rule? gotcha Communist!

No. I'm pro middle class.

Question: In the last forty years, how many Republican law makers wrote a bill benefiting the middle class and poor without giving the rich much, much more.

Answer: NEVER

Hey shit for brains. Sedita, Makowski, Griffin, Masiello, and now Brown are all Democrats, idiot! All but one of these were or are Liberals. And as I stated, Griffin was the only one out of that batch that got the city solvent. And he was a staunch pro-life Conservative!!!

Buffalo lost it's employment base....pure and simple.

Question: In the last forty years, how many Republican law makers wrote a bill benefiting the middle class and poor without giving the rich much, much more.

hey Communist, I will never begrudge anyone keeping more of their money.

Neither will I, but how it's done is always questionable.

hey Communist, I will never begrudge anyone keeping more of their money.

Neither will I, but how it's done is always questionable.
Ahh, so taxing the rich into oblivion revitalizes the middle class>> :eek: :cuckoo:

Quantum Windbag: When I first read the headline that led me to this story I couldn't believe it was true, no one who actually graduated from law school could actually says something that stupid.

LadyGunSlinger LadyGunSlinger: This is why Liberals are known as ZOMBIES.. No brain material, no functioning thought process..

Katzndogz: She's appealing to obama in the same way a minor noble would appeal to the king. A county judge does not get to tell a federal bankruptcy court what to do. She will have to be sanctioned.

Ernie S.: Detroit judge dishonors her oath

OKTexas: A puney county judge has no say in a federal case. She may as well be pissing in the wind, maybe she's bucking for an appointment from her dear leader.

RetiredGySgt: Further this judge should be brought up on charges for her ignorant rant.

The T: If not removed and disbarred.

The T: Aren't they all? Just because one wears a black robe doesn't mean they have common sense and are better than any of us. Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes...even judges.

STATE CONSTITUTION (EXCERPT) CONSTITUTION OF MICHIGAN OF 1963
Article IX § 24

§ 24 Public pension plans and retirement systems, obligation.

Sec. 24.

The accrued financial benefits of each pension plan and retirement system of the state and its political subdivisions shall be a contractual obligation thereof which shall not be diminished or impaired thereby.

Financial benefits arising on account of service rendered in each fiscal year shall be funded during that year and such funding shall not be used for financing unfunded accrued liabilities.

History: Const. 1963, Art. IX, § 24, Eff. Jan. 1, 1964

2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(2q...x?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-Article-IX-24

The Governor of Michigan, who initiated these bankruptcy hearings, the OP and his supporters are obviously unfamiliar with the Michigan Constitution, Article IX § 24 - and we all know how vigilant our conservatives "friends" are when it comes to upholding Constitutions!

The judge in denying the Detroit's right to declare bankruptcy is merely upholding Section 24 of the Michigan Constitution which states that "The accrued financial benefits of each pension plan and retirement system of the state {Michigan} and its political subdivisions {Detroit} shall be a contractual obligation thereof which SHALL NOT BE DIMINISHED OR IMPAIRED THEREBY."

Section 24 goes on to state and its divisions are also obligated to set aside the funds necessary to provide for these pension plans and retirement systems in the years in which they are accrued, and that these funds cannot be diverted to fund other government liabilities.

Obviously both Detroit and Michigan politicians have long been derelict in their duties and if the city can no longer meet its financial obligations, they will ultimately revert back to the state - who afterall bears the legal responsible for ensuring that its "political subdivisions" are adhering to the Michigan Constitution.

How can the Governor of Michigan and state politicians, who have all sworn to uphold the Michigan Constitution in their oath of office, now appeal a court ruling that is based on that same Constitution?

Last edited:
If you don't vote out Republicans it will be.

Why don't you ask yourself the same question about Democrats? Is it because, if you did, and applied the same standards, you would end up with the same answer?

STATE CONSTITUTION (EXCERPT) CONSTITUTION OF MICHIGAN OF 1963
Article IX § 24

§ 24 Public pension plans and retirement systems, obligation.

Sec. 24.

The accrued financial benefits of each pension plan and retirement system of the state and its political subdivisions shall be a contractual obligation thereof which shall not be diminished or impaired thereby.

Financial benefits arising on account of service rendered in each fiscal year shall be funded during that year and such funding shall not be used for financing unfunded accrued liabilities.

History: Const. 1963, Art. IX, § 24, Eff. Jan. 1, 1964

2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

Michigan Legislature - Article IX § 24

Ernie S.: Detroit judge dishonors her oath

A puney county judge has no say in a federal case. She may as well be pissing in the wind, maybe she's bucking for an appointment from her dear leader.

The Governor of Michigan, who initiated these bankruptcy hearings, the OP and his supporters are obviously unfamiliar with the Michigan Constitution, Article IX § 24 - and we all know how vigilant our conservatives "friends" are when it comes to upholding Constitutions!

The judge in denying the Detroit's right to declare bankruptcy is merely upholding Section 24 of the Michigan Constitution which states that "The accrued financial benefits of each pension plan and retirement system of the state {Michigan} and its political subdivisions {Detroit} shall be a contractual obligation thereof which SHALL NOT BE DIMINISHED OR IMPAIRED THEREBY."

Section 24 goes on to state and its divisions are also obligated to set aside the funds necessary to provide for these pension plans and retirement systems in the years in which they are accrued, and that these funds cannot be diverted to fund other government liabilities.

Obviously both Detroit and Michigan politicians have long been derelict in their duties and if the city can no longer meet its financial obligations, they will ultimately revert back to the state - who afterall bears the legal responsible for ensuring that its "political subdivisions" are adhering to the Michigan Constitution.

How can the Governor of Michigan and state politicians, who have all sworn to uphold the Michigan Constitution in their oath of office, now appeal a court ruling that is based on that same Constitution?

I love it when people assume stuff about me. What evidence do you have that I am unfamiliar with the Michigan Constitution? Are you aware that the federal courts recently declared a portion of the Constitution of the State of California to be unconstitutional? Is there some reason you thing the Michigan Constitution trumps federal bankruptcy laws and court precedents?

When I first read the headline that led me to this story I couldn't believe it was true, no one who actually graduated from law school could actually says something that stupid.

“It’s cheating, sir, and it’s cheating good people who work,” the judge told assistant state Attorney General Brian Devlin. “It’s also not honoring the (United States) president, who took (Detroit’s auto companies) out of bankruptcy.”

Aquilina said she would make sure President Obama got a copy of her order.

“I know he’s watching this,” she said, predicting the president ultimately will have to take action to make sure existing pension commitments are honored.

Ingham County judge rules Detroit bankruptcy be withdrawn; Schuette appeals | The Detroit News

Not only is Obama god, but he has magic money to use to make sure pensions survive despite reality.

..... I love it when people assume stuff about me. What evidence do you have that I am unfamiliar with the Michigan Constitution? Are you aware that the federal courts recently declared a portion of the Constitution of the State of California to be unconstitutional? Is there some reason you thing the Michigan Constitution trumps federal bankruptcy laws and court precedents?

If "Quantum Windbag" had read the Michigan Constitution, he would have known that the "Oath of public officers" (ARTICLE XI, Section 1) requires that "All officers, legislative, executive and judicial, before entering upon the duties of their respective offices, shall take and subscribe the following oath or affirmation: I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the constitution of this state ....."

He would have also known that both the Governor and the Judge have sworn to support the Michigan Constitution, including Article IX § 24: "The accrued financial benefits of each pension plan and retirement system of the state and its political subdivisions shall be a contractual obligation thereof which shall not be diminished or impaired thereby. Financial benefits arising on account of service rendered in each fiscal year shall be funded during that year and such funding shall not be used for financing unfunded accrued liabilities."

The Governor of Michigan and "Quantum Windbag" should have known that the by attempting to declare bankruptcy in Detroit, it would place the city and state in direct violation of its own constitution by not honoring the "pension plans and retirement system" that its employees had negotiated in good faith. Under the laws of Michigan, the Judge could make no other ruling, and was probably aghast that the governor and state officials appeared ignorant or chose to ignore such relevant sections of their own Constitution.

As for the recent Supreme Court ruling in California, gay rights (marriages) has nothing to do with a major city or state refusing to honor its contractual agreements with its own employees, as specified in the Michigan Constitution.

What the federal and Supreme Court may or may not decide in the future is strictly speculation - the Governor, state and local officials and the judiciary are obligated, however, to adhere to the current laws.

Any Governor or politician actively pursuing a bankruptcy case that would clearly contravene the state's constitution, that he/she has sworn to uphold, is inviting impeachment.

ARTICLE XI
PUBLIC OFFICERS AND EMPLOYMENT

§ 1 Oath of public officers.
Sec. 1. All officers, legislative, executive and judicial, before entering upon the duties of their respective offices, shall take and subscribe the following oath or affirmation:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the constitution of this state, and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office of .......... according to the best of my ability. No other oath, affirmation, or
any religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust.

History: Const. 1963, Art. XI, § 1, Eff. Jan. 1, 1964.
Former constitution: See Const. 1908, Art. XVI, § 2.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Michigan_Constitution_of_1963/Article_11

Last edited:
I didn't know that honoring a president was written into the bankruptcy laws. Gee, learn something new every day from these liberal judges. So, no bankruptcy and they have to magically come up with money to pay the promised pensions. Does this mean the American tax payers are going to bail them out again, then keep bailing them out year after year?

Obama bashed Romney, claiming he would allow Detroit to go bankrupt. I don't see where Obama, or decades of liberal policies have done a damn thing for Detroit or any other city or state. California must be near bankruptcy, too.

I guess when liberals rule unchecked, it tends to scare away tax payers. The population of Detroit went from over 2 million down to 600,000. They have at least 20,000 public sector retirees who were promised cushy pensions and benefits, as well as the current public employees. The city is billions in debt. I thought we bailed them out, but looks like all that TARP money was just a temporary fix. What a surprise. Now, Detroit needs billions to get caught up and then they need more to keep up payments to retirees, current employees and a growing welfare population. They seem desperately short on tax payers to steal from, so time to turn to Obama and see if he can't confiscate some cash on their behalf. Shame that none of Obama's policies created more jobs considering the country is in dire need of more people to steal from. Quite the dilemma, for sure. All that talk of saving Detroit and it turns out they are in worse shape than ever. How will the media spin this failure?

The sad part is they can't see it, their blind as bats...

I have to ask, where do they really come from? I'm dumfounded when this continues to happen and it is CLEAR as daylight these local and state governments are run by liberal policies, what are they missing here? This is not about a racist trial, nor is it about a racist POTUS, this particular case is about one of our greatest city's crumbling, dead, crippled beyond belief because liberal policy has finally caught up with it...

Are liberals really this stupid or are they just stuck in denial? In either case, they have ruined another once great American Icon...

I agree that Detroit is responsible for paying pensions, but how are they going to do that? The city has 100,000 creditors all due payment and no assets they are willing or able to liquidate to meet their obligations. It's not as if they could sell city hall, police stations and parks. Real estate in the city is essentially worthless. Hell! The museum made a stink and says they won't sell Howdy Doody for an expected $1,000,000.

They have obligated themselves right out of viability.

Detroit —An elite group of 13 city retirees has collected more than $1 million each in pension payouts, including former police chiefs Benny Napoleon and Isaiah “Ike” McKinnon, and could lose the most money if Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr succeeds in slashing benefits during the city’s restructuring.

They are the most notable names on a list obtained by The Detroit News that identifies retirees who have the most expensive pensions in a system that is underfunded by about $3.5 billion.

In all, two dozen retirees receive more than $100,000 annually, according to 2012 data released by the city’s pension funds. Napoleon, who is running for mayor, receives a $111,520 pension a year in addition to his approximate $130,000 salary as Wayne County sheriff. McKinnon gets $92,451 a year.

“I’ve been stabbed twice, shot at eight times and lived through dangerous times in the Police Department, so you want what you believe is due to you,” said McKinnon, 70, a tenured professor at University of Detroit Mercy who has collected $1,069,741 since retiring in 1998. “Is that fair?”

From The Detroit News: Big pension payouts threatened by Detroit crisis | The Detroit News

I agree that Detroit is responsible for paying pensions, but how are they going to do that? The city has 100,000 creditors all due payment and no assets they are willing or able to liquidate to meet their obligations. It's not as if they could sell city hall, police stations and parks. Real estate in the city is essentially worthless. Hell! The museum made a stink and says they won't sell Howdy Doody for an expected $1,000,000.

They have obligated themselves right out of viability.

Detroit —An elite group of 13 city retirees has collected more than $1 million each in pension payouts, including former police chiefs Benny Napoleon and Isaiah “Ike” McKinnon, and could lose the most money if Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr succeeds in slashing benefits during the city’s restructuring.

They are the most notable names on a list obtained by The Detroit News that identifies retirees who have the most expensive pensions in a system that is underfunded by about $3.5 billion.

In all, two dozen retirees receive more than $100,000 annually, according to 2012 data released by the city’s pension funds. Napoleon, who is running for mayor, receives a $111,520 pension a year in addition to his approximate $130,000 salary as Wayne County sheriff. McKinnon gets $92,451 a year.

“I’ve been stabbed twice, shot at eight times and lived through dangerous times in the Police Department, so you want what you believe is due to you,” said McKinnon, 70, a tenured professor at University of Detroit Mercy who has collected $1,069,741 since retiring in 1998. “Is that fair?”

From The Detroit News: Big pension payouts threatened by Detroit crisis | The Detroit News

Or cut state revenue so low that it's impossible to take care of themselves?
Or became so dependent on one industry, that when it suffered a decline, the entire state suffered?

It's interesting that a state so firmly in the grip of GOP rule allows it's major city to go bankrupt.

Funnier still that this gets laid at the feet of Democrats.

Forum List

Back