Justice Scalia Thinks Black Students Belong In 'Slower-Track' Schools

He made the comments during a major case about affirmative action at public universities.

WASHINGTON -- Do black students matter to Justice Antonin Scalia?

During oral arguments on Wednesday in Fisher v. University of Texas, a contentious affirmative action case, the conservative justice seemed to call their abilities into question.

"There are those who contend that it does not benefit African-Americans to get them into the University of Texas, where they do not do well," Scalia said, "as opposed to having them go to a less-advanced school ... a slower-track school where they do well."

Scalia was engaging former U.S. Solicitor General Gregory Garre, who is now representing the University of Texas at Austin as the school defends its ongoing consideration of race as one of many factors in its admissions program.

Pointing to a brief the court received before oral arguments, Scalia noted "most of the black scientists in this country don't come from schools like the University of Texas."

Garre tried to interject, but the justice continued. "They come from lesser schools where they do not feel that ... they're being pushed ahead in classes that are too fast for them," Scalia said.

More: Justice Scalia Thinks Black Students Belong In 'Slower-Track' Schools

This is really sad coming from a Supreme Court Justice - even from a NaziCon neanderthal like Scalia.

Neil deGrasse Tyson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Alma mater Harvard University (A.B.)
University of Texas at Austin (M.A.)
Columbia University (M.Phil., Ph.D.)"

Oops.

I'll bet Neil deGrasse Tyson understands the meaning of the word "most". Probably why he's a scientist, and you're not.
It takes more than understanding the meaning of the word "most" to be a scientist. Scalia even referred to black scientists as slow. What an ignorant twit.

There are no slow scientists. To be a scientists first takes an incredible amount of learning. And that's just the beginning.

How many times on the USMB have Republicans said scientists have no common sense or no integrity? The most ignorant and close minded people in the world criticizing the most productive and most brilliant. I could never understand how they have the nerve.

Carl Sagan put it: THE ONLY SACRED TRUTH IN SCIENCE IS THAT THERE ARE NO SACRED TRUTH IN SCIENCE.

Just the fact that right wingers constantly use the phrase "settled science" demonstrates a total lack of understanding.
Do you or do you not believe what the 'scientists' have determined visa vi the general IQ levels of various races?
I know I'll never get an honest answer from you and that proves the point.
Oh, there's an honest answer all right. One racist stupid fucks never want to hear.

Genetically Speaking, Race Doesn't Exist In Humans

Humans are one of the most genetically homogenous species we know of. There's lots of genetic variation in humanity, but it's basically at the individual level. The between-population variation is very, very minor."

Among Templeton's conclusions: there is more genetic similarity between Europeans and sub-Saharan Africans and between Europeans and Melanesians, inhabitants of islands northeast of Australia, than there is between Africans and Melanesians. Yet, sub-Saharan Africans and Melanesians share dark skin, hair texture and cranial-facial features, traits commonly used to classify people into races. According to Templeton, this example shows that "racial traits" are grossly incompatible with overall genetic differences between human populations.
Why didn't you address the scientific fact that the negro race generally has lower IQs than the White and Asian races?
Because YOU would have to fucking claim your precious 'scientists' are wrong.
Facts are facts asshole. Negroes generally have IQs in the low eighties. Whites generally have IQs around 120.

As to Shitting Bull's OP:

The poor sot (Dorkhota) doesn't grasp that what Scalia ASKED at oral arguments was a question that was raised during the case itself.

It DOES raise one of the basic (pretty fundamental) problems with all of Affirmative Action. It has a tendency to stigmatize those who "benefit" from it.

If a particular black student happens to be less academically qualified than some other student, then it may not prove to be such a blessing to get accepted into a more academically rigorous school. That happens NOT to be a slam directed at blacks in general. It is a point directed ONLY at that one particular student.

The shrieks and howls directed at Scalia are not just misguided, but they are orchestrated by the left wing propaganda machine and are effectively lacking in validity.

As to Shitting Bull's OP:

The poor sot (Dorkhota) doesn't grasp that what Scalia ASKED at oral arguments was a question that was raised during the case itself.

It DOES raise one of the basic (pretty fundamental) problems with all of Affirmative Action. It has a tendency to stigmatize those who "benefit" from it.

If a particular black student happens to be less academically qualified than some other student, then it may not prove to be such a blessing to get accepted into a more academically rigorous school. That happens NOT to be a slam directed at blacks in general. It is a point directed ONLY at that one particular student.

The shrieks and howls directed at Scalia are not just misguided, but they are orchestrated by the left wing propaganda machine and are effectively lacking in validity.
You all would be very interested to learn that the basic curriculum at predominantly negro universities has been 'dumbed down' so the students with IQs in the low eighties can pass the tests.
You all will also be interested to know that when a negro 'earns' their degree at one of these universities the chances of getting the job are actually decreased.
" I see on your application you got your degree at Alabama State. Thanks for coming to the interview. Yes, we'll be sending all four hundred applicants a letter. (You can expect yours in the mail tomorrow!)"

I would be interested in the non racist views of intelligent people. So, no.

I'm not much interested in the posted offerings of the likes of dannyboy.

I would be interested in the non racist views of intelligent people. So, no.

I'm not much interested in the posted offerings of the likes of dannyboy.
So are you claiming negroes and White have generally the same IQ quotients?
Come on! Let's have a 'dialogue'.
If there's a room full of 'Special Needs' people and a room next door full of your average Whites with generally IQs of about 120 is it somehow wrong to point out the "Special Needs' group should not be expected to achieve like the people in the other room.
Isn't in fact doing the 'Special Needs' people a disservice by 'pretending' everyone in both rooms are on the same intellectual par?
Of course it is.
And yes the negro race does have generally IQs in the low eighties and Whites generally have IQs in the 120s. If you don't think this has a major impact on both races in an ever increasingly more competitive world you are delusional at best.
What is 'AA' if it's not saying: 'We know you don't qualify for the job but because of the color of your skin we're going to give you the job.
Are you aware of the failure rate of people who were put into jobs they were not qualified for? Goggle it .
Here's some light reading on the subject from the NYT. But I guess you think the NYT is 'racist' too.
The Black-White Test Score Gap

I wonder what Thomas thinks of Scalia's remarks. Abraham Lincoln said that blacks are inferior to whites too.

his remarks during the fourth Lincoln-Douglas debate at Charleston, Illinois, on September 18, 1858
"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races — that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."-Abraham Lincoln
https://cwcrossroads.wordpress.com/2...text-part-one/

The republicans have always believed that the GOP is the "Master Race"

A better way of saying what Scalia said would have been "Students who are failing at a higher than average rate and have entered into a college based on a system of preferences should consider other options."

Scalia Was Right About Race Preferences
If you want to make sure a negro fails just pretend that the negro can perform academically in elite institutions like MIT on par with a White student.
Some day all you LIB assholes pretending all races are equal are going to wake up.
Take note: Why is this 'conversation' even taking place if all the races are really equal when it comes to competing on a level playing field?

A better way of saying what Scalia said would have been "Students who are failing at a higher than average rate and have entered into a college based on a system of preferences should consider other options."

Take a look at this article agreeing that Scalia may have a point, even if he worded it poorly.

Affirmative action: Scalia had a point (Opinion) - CNN.com

Yet the discussion of affirmative action implies that the choice is somehow between Yale or jail. But here's what happens on the ground. At the University of California, San Diego the year before racial preferences were banned in the late '90s, exactly one black student out of 3,268 freshmen made honors. A few years later after students who once would have been "mismatched" to flagship schools UC Berkeley were now admitted to schools such as UC San Diego, one in five black freshmen were making honors, the same proportion as white ones.

What civil rights leader of the past would have seen this as racism? Who in the future will? Or why are we tarring Scalia as a bigot for espousing outcomes like this in the here and now?

Our national conversation on racial preferences is underinformed and mean when founded on an assumption that anyone who seriously questions racial preferences is naive at best and a pig at worst. Affirmative action is a complex matter upon which reasonable minds will differ. With the well-being of young people of color at stake, we can't afford to pretend otherwise.

It's a classic case of LIB stupidity. Demand that people with IQs generally in the low eighties be placed in a competitive environment with people with IQ's generally around 120 and when the results are obviously skewed in favor of the higher IQ people the LIBs scream 'racism' and discrimination.
How fucking stupid is that?
If there wasn't unbiased scientific data proving the negro race has generally substantially lower IQ's than Whites generally we would not be having this conversation. Think about that.

12391399_1109283282424944_5238122778598485276_n.jpg

Neil deGrasse Tyson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Alma mater Harvard University (A.B.)
University of Texas at Austin (M.A.)
Columbia University (M.Phil., Ph.D.)"

Oops.

I'll bet Neil deGrasse Tyson understands the meaning of the word "most". Probably why he's a scientist, and you're not.
It takes more than understanding the meaning of the word "most" to be a scientist. Scalia even referred to black scientists as slow. What an ignorant twit.

There are no slow scientists. To be a scientists first takes an incredible amount of learning. And that's just the beginning.

How many times on the USMB have Republicans said scientists have no common sense or no integrity? The most ignorant and close minded people in the world criticizing the most productive and most brilliant. I could never understand how they have the nerve.

Carl Sagan put it: THE ONLY SACRED TRUTH IN SCIENCE IS THAT THERE ARE NO SACRED TRUTH IN SCIENCE.

Just the fact that right wingers constantly use the phrase "settled science" demonstrates a total lack of understanding.
Do you or do you not believe what the 'scientists' have determined visa vi the general IQ levels of various races?
I know I'll never get an honest answer from you and that proves the point.
Oh, there's an honest answer all right. One racist stupid fucks never want to hear.

Genetically Speaking, Race Doesn't Exist In Humans

Humans are one of the most genetically homogenous species we know of. There's lots of genetic variation in humanity, but it's basically at the individual level. The between-population variation is very, very minor."

Among Templeton's conclusions: there is more genetic similarity between Europeans and sub-Saharan Africans and between Europeans and Melanesians, inhabitants of islands northeast of Australia, than there is between Africans and Melanesians. Yet, sub-Saharan Africans and Melanesians share dark skin, hair texture and cranial-facial features, traits commonly used to classify people into races. According to Templeton, this example shows that "racial traits" are grossly incompatible with overall genetic differences between human populations.
Why didn't you address the scientific fact that the negro race generally has lower IQs than the White and Asian races?
Because YOU would have to fucking claim your precious 'scientists' are wrong.
Facts are facts asshole. Negroes generally have IQs in the low eighties. Whites generally have IQs around 120.

Wikipedia reports the gap to be 15 to 18 points.

Significant, but not as extreme as you are claiming.

And yes, still enough to serious impact representation is college, including which colleges.

What Scalia is saying is that when it comes to Higher Education we got a nice little space for you inferior DNA Blacks in the back of the bus.......................
Scalia says it puts too much pressure on Blacks if they vote because they do not have the intellect of white people to vote with...............
19842128035_c320620806_o.jpg

What's better about it?

What Scalia is saying is that when it comes to Higher Education we got a nice little space for you inferior DNA Blacks in the back of the bus.......................
Scalia says it puts too much pressure on Blacks if they vote because they do not have the intellect of white people to vote with...............
19842128035_c320620806_o.jpg

Except that that has nothing to do with what he said.

Do you even understand what he said?

Take a look at this article agreeing that Scalia may have a point, even if he worded it poorly.

Affirmative action: Scalia had a point (Opinion) - CNN.com

Yet the discussion of affirmative action implies that the choice is somehow between Yale or jail. But here's what happens on the ground. At the University of California, San Diego the year before racial preferences were banned in the late '90s, exactly one black student out of 3,268 freshmen made honors. A few years later after students who once would have been "mismatched" to flagship schools UC Berkeley were now admitted to schools such as UC San Diego, one in five black freshmen were making honors, the same proportion as white ones.

What civil rights leader of the past would have seen this as racism? Who in the future will? Or why are we tarring Scalia as a bigot for espousing outcomes like this in the here and now?

Our national conversation on racial preferences is underinformed and mean when founded on an assumption that anyone who seriously questions racial preferences is naive at best and a pig at worst. Affirmative action is a complex matter upon which reasonable minds will differ. With the well-being of young people of color at stake, we can't afford to pretend otherwise.

A few years later after students who once would have been "mismatched" to flagship schools UC Berkeley were now admitted to schools such as UC San Diego, one in five black freshmen were making honors, the same proportion as white ones.

COOL! Good for them.

Forum List

Back