Justice Scalia Thinks Black Students Belong In 'Slower-Track' Schools

Sadly, this is the imagine Affirmative action has made of blacks. A merit based system where everyone competes equally would erase this.
Anybody for affirmative action in the NBA? Just give the white guys a chance. They can dunk basketballs too if given a chance.
There are plenty of white guys in the NBA. They just dont happen to be american.
How would you like White Americans Affirmative Action for the NBA. The whites wouldn't be as gifted as the rest of the team, but they should be allowed to play to "even the playing field."

A truly underrepresented minority in the NBA....Japanese, and Filipino Americans............they should be allowed to play regardless of talent...or even desire to play....in fact...we should have them rounded up and made to play basketball to make up for past discrimination in the NBA.....

One does wonder why Obama's academic records and work are all sealed.
Because its none of your business probably.
I think there is a bigger reason that that.
Like what?
He would not have been going to Harvard, Columbia or Yale if it hadn't been for AA.
That sounds to me like it falls under the "none of your business" category even if thats true.

Sadly, this is the imagine Affirmative action has made of blacks. A merit based system where everyone competes equally would erase this.
Anybody for affirmative action in the NBA? Just give the white guys a chance. They can dunk basketballs too if given a chance.
There are plenty of white guys in the NBA. They just dont happen to be american.
How would you like White Americans Affirmative Action for the NBA. The whites wouldn't be as gifted as the rest of the team, but they should be allowed to play to "even the playing field."

A truly underrepresented minority in the NBA....Japanese, and Filipino Americans............they should be allowed to play regardless of talent...or even desire to play....in fact...we should have them rounded up and made to play basketball to make up for past discrimination in the NBA.....
Let me know when the NBA becomes a non private business and I will see what I can do.

Not really. 400 years of AA for white males has created a situation where the concept of a merit based system would be disproportionately beneficial to whites. Similar to how AA today is more beneficial to white women. Thats like having a merit based system for joining the NBA and expecting american white guys to be equally represented.

Yes......in order to end discrimination based on race........we must discriminate against people based on race.....

Bravo...bravo......
So whats your solutions seeing that whites have a 400 year head start towards having more merit?
And native Americans have more of a head start than whites. So what? We are living in a society that everyone should prove themselves to be worthy. We are not allowing for work ethics and working your ass off.
Who told you NAs had more of a head start than whites? They were discriminated against as well.
Oh, the discrimination card. OK, whites are now being discriminated against and passed over to allow blacks to get a head start. When do whites get to cry about that? That's why I say throw out AA and allow a person's efforts and accomplishments to be real. No one needs to be artificially ahead of others because of race.

One does wonder why Obama's academic records and work are all sealed.
Like what?
He would not have been going to Harvard, Columbia or Yale if it hadn't been for AA.
That sounds to me like it falls under the "none of your business" category even if thats true.
He's the leader of our country. We should know everything about him to make a sound decision whether or not to vote for him.

Not really. 400 years of AA for white males has created a situation where the concept of a merit based system would be disproportionately beneficial to whites. Similar to how AA today is more beneficial to white women. Thats like having a merit based system for joining the NBA and expecting american white guys to be equally represented.

Yes......in order to end discrimination based on race........we must discriminate against people based on race.....

Bravo...bravo......
So whats your solutions seeing that whites have a 400 year head start towards having more merit?
And native Americans have more of a head start than whites. So what? We are living in a society that everyone should prove themselves to be worthy. We are not allowing for work ethics and working your ass off.
Who told you NAs had more of a head start than whites? They were discriminated against as well.
Oh, the discrimination card. OK, whites are now being discriminated against and passed over to allow blacks to get a head start. When do whites get to cry about that? That's why I say throw out AA and allow a person's efforts and accomplishments to be real. No one needs to be artificially ahead of others because of race.
You get to cry after 310 years of slavery and 60 years of Johnny Bluejay. Whites were artificially ahead of everyone for centuries.

Like what?
He's the leader of our country. We should know everything about him to make a sound decision whether or not to vote for him.
Show me where its written he is obligated to provide his grades. Besides its too late. We already voted him in.

:)

Bravo...bravo......
You get to cry after 310 years of slavery and 60 years of Johnny Bluejay.
You're here instead of some tribe and your ancestors elected to stay here after slavery was illegal. Can't cry about it now.

He made the comments during a major case about affirmative action at public universities.

WASHINGTON -- Do black students matter to Justice Antonin Scalia?

During oral arguments on Wednesday in Fisher v. University of Texas, a contentious affirmative action case, the conservative justice seemed to call their abilities into question.

"There are those who contend that it does not benefit African-Americans to get them into the University of Texas, where they do not do well," Scalia said, "as opposed to having them go to a less-advanced school ... a slower-track school where they do well."

Scalia was engaging former U.S. Solicitor General Gregory Garre, who is now representing the University of Texas at Austin as the school defends its ongoing consideration of race as one of many factors in its admissions program.

Pointing to a brief the court received before oral arguments, Scalia noted "most of the black scientists in this country don't come from schools like the University of Texas."

Garre tried to interject, but the justice continued. "They come from lesser schools where they do not feel that ... they're being pushed ahead in classes that are too fast for them," Scalia said.

More: Justice Scalia Thinks Black Students Belong In 'Slower-Track' Schools

This is really sad coming from a Supreme Court Justice - even from a NaziCon neanderthal like Scalia.
Hey Einstein. He was talking about the slow students who get admitted via affirmative action. It's obvious you didn't get snapped up by MIT.

LOL

The problem of minorities ending up getting into schools that they cannot keep up in has been known for a long time.

And actually, I've read some interesting reports that this process does not just happen to AA minorities, but to anyone who scrapes into a "good" school in a certain field and then finds they can't keep up.

The discouragement often leads to people giving up, when really they just don't need to be in, for example, MIT.

MIT isn't the only place to study Technology.
Not everyone is cut out to be college students. When I was in high school there was the college prep path and business prep for others. That included more math, typing skills and of course there was Vocational ed.
Everyone qualified for something.

Certainly true.

BUT of those that are cut out to be college students, just because they can't handle MIT, doesn't mean they have to give up on their chosen Tech field.

Let me know when the NBA becomes a non private business and I will see what I can do.

Well.....it seems to me that if you can force a baker to make a cake, and florists to provide flowers...forcing the NBA to hire Japanese American players under 5' 2" should be just as easy.....

You're here instead of some tribe and your ancestors elected to stay here after slavery was illegal. Can't cry about it now.
Personally I would have rather been back in Africa. The fact my ancestors elected to stay after building the country to enjoy the fruits of their labor has nothing to do with the point. The point is that whites used AA for centuries while devising a system tailored to making them successful to the detriment of others.

Well.....it seems to me that if you can force a baker to make a cake, and florists to provide flowers...forcing the NBA to hire Japanese American players under 5' 2" should be just as easy.....
Youre getting mixed up. Customers and employees are not the same.

I think that is only fair! :)

Bravo...bravo......
You get to cry after 310 years of slavery and 60 years of Johnny Bluejay. Whites were artificially ahead of everyone for centuries.

Ummmm...not in Africa.....they had the whole place to themselves at the time Europeans were raising sheep......and then they enslaved their own people and sold them to the Europeans.....

Personally I would have rather been back in Africa. The fact my ancestors elected to stay after building the country to enjoy the fruits of their labor has nothing to do with the point. The point is that whites used AA for centuries while devising a system tailored to making them successful to the detriment of others.
So it only fair that blacks do the same.

Ummmm...not in Africa.....they had the whole place to themselves at the time Europeans were raising sheep......and then they enslaved their own people and sold them to the Europeans.....
Thats youre problem. Were talking about the US not Africa.

So it only fair that blacks do the same.
Its the fairest thing I can think of. Can you figure out how to implement a fair system when one portion of the populace already has the advantage?

People want equality and that is well and good, the problem is some want a leg up at the expense of others, that is not good

Forum List

Back