Justifiable use of deadly force or not?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Justified. If the guy on the ground was in fear of his safety.

Didn't watch the video, did you? I'm a strong second amendment supporter, but that was just murder. There was no rational self defense. I'd call it first degree murder given that the guy clearly was trying to create that exact situation
Of course I watched the video. We cannot hear what was said if anything but it happened fast. I don't think the the shooter was wrong. Did he have to shoot him? We don't know, maybe not, but what we do know is that he did shoot him after being violently knocked to the ground. If that had not happened, he would not have gotten shot. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree! ;)

Not really. I believe in guns for self defense, not to turn the country into the wild west.

Again, particularly that he continually staged that event.

An armed man keeps harassing people over the same parking spot. He's armed, angry and on a cause. And it's not his store, he's just adopted it to fight with people who park in that spot. And obviously he's aiming to kill.

You tell me how that's going to end any other way. You're seriously defending someone who wanted to kill someone and worked to make it happen? He created a scenario that would not end any other way than someone getting killed

In the link below is an article with a video that shows a "stand your ground" incident in Clearwater Florida. A women illegally parked in a handicapped spot and got into an argument with a man who confronted her about it. The women's boyfriend, who was in the store at the time, comes out to see the argument and pushes the man to the ground. With the man on the ground he pulls out a gun and aims at the man who assaulted him. The man who committed the assault then backs up. Despite backing away, the man fires his gun anyways hitting the man in the chest. The injured man then runs into the store where he collapses on the ground and dies in front of his five your old son.

My opinion:

Both the women and her boyfriend committed illegal acts which led to the incident. But, I do not feel the man who was assaulted was justified in shooting his attacker. The Attacker had backed off after the gun was pulled. Parking in handicap spot and pushing someone to the ground or both illegal, but punishment for those actions would never warrant the death penalty. Had the attacker continued to assault or move towards the man pushed to the ground, then you might have a case where shooting the gun might be warranted. But that is not what happened. The attacker backed away after the gun was pulled. Then he was shot and killed, dying in front of his five year old son in the store. The man has two other children as well.

I've seen people get pushed to the ground like that in the school yard. Its wrong, you have a right to defend yourself. But in this case, taking another mans life was NOT justified. Call the police and the film of the incident would be enough evidence to punish the attacker in an appropriate manner.

The article and video of the incident are in the link below:

https://nypost.com/2018/07/20/stand...r-in-deadly-fight-over-parking-space-sheriff/

media link from youtube:

I say he’s guilty but a big young man can not be putting his hands on people. Everyone before him were just using their words. He escalated the incident

So if your son pushes another boy onto the ground in the school yard, its ok if the boy pushed to the ground pulls out a gun and shoots him, killing him?

Reasonable people do not view children pushing on yards = threat of great bodily harm or death.

Children cant lawfully posses firearms.

Fact, this could happen on a play ground because there are in fact children as big as the two men involved in this incident. In fact, you could even have a greater difference in size between attacker and victim on the play ground making the risk of death greater than this situation.

Yes, children can't lawfully posses firearms, but that is irrelevant to whether their use of a firearm in a given situation is justified. Being pushed to the ground on the play ground, definitely not justified. Being dragged into a car by pedophile, justified.

Tough guys who think this is justifiable should have their gun rights removed.

This guy was a threat to somebody's wife, and the store owner says he causes conflict all of the time and this particular time, the wife appeared so threatened that a bystander came into the store to report it..

the husband then rightfully pushed the threat away from the wife

then took 2 to 3 paces backwards

and was shot.

Its murder, and if youre unable to determine as much then youre a clear and present danger to society. Probably need a mental health background check, as well.

Let the court and a jury decide.

There will be neither as the shooter was not charged.

I thought it said they were still deciding. He should be charged minimum second degree murder. I'd convict him of first degree murder based on the film given that he was repeatedly trying to stage that scenario

I'm not sure how you can say he staged it,let alone repeatedly.
The store owner's testimony says as much.

Just went back and read the story again....
I didnt see anything like you're stating.
Some other link I'm missing?

Then let us watch as it plays out in the Fla court system

Stand your ground.
Case dismissed.

In my case, that is what happened. There was still a trial.

Not necessarily.
The video itself is enough to not press charges based on Florida law.

And, a court will decide that.
Again, there won’t be any trial.

From a local news source:

“Drejka is a legal concealed weapons permit holder and will not be charged because of Florida's Stand Your Ground law, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.”

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-pinellas/video-shows-deadly-shooting-over-parking-spot-at-clearwater-convenience-store

I thought it said they were still deciding. He should be charged minimum second degree murder. I'd convict him of first degree murder based on the film given that he was repeatedly trying to stage that scenario

Theres a video in the OP, with the store owner being interviewed and a video of the incident as well.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
This guy was a threat to somebody's wife, and the store owner says he causes conflict all of the time and this particular time, the wife appeared so threatened that a bystander came into the store to report it..

Yet she left the safety of the car after the attack ? Why to escalate / continue it ?

The news story said that the guy often argued with people at the store that parked in the handicap parking. It wasn't the first time.

I'm a supporter of concealed carry, but people that do so should be extra responsible to not be instigating confrontations.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

The news story said that the guy often argued with people at the store that parked in the handicap parking. It wasn't the first time.

I'm a supporter of concealed carry, but people that do so should be extra responsible to not be instigating confrontations.

That's exactly it. That's my issue. Had he been minding his own business and been confronted, then I would have a totally different opinion. Carrying a gun and repeatedly initiating hostility is not consistent with my pro-second amendment views

Yes, children can't lawfully posses firearms, but that is irrelevant to whether their use of a firearm in a given situation is justified. Being pushed to the ground on the play ground, definitely not justified. Being dragged into a car by pedophile, justified.

I child could not claim SYG protection in FL under any circumstance carrying concealed in a public space.

Yet she left the safety of the car after the attack ? Why to escalate / continue it ?
Its a responsible gun owner's responsibility to not be escalating situations ~ only an irresponsible child-minded dope with a gun takes it so non-seriously.....and because of that, a man...a human life was ended BACKING AWAY, after he pushed someone down who was a threat to his WIFE.

Theres a video in the OP, with the store owner being interviewed and a video of the incident as well.

Where's the interview from the store clerk?

The video of the shooting pretty much clears the shooter.

Go to the one minute mark of the video

Where's the interview from the store clerk?

The video of the shooting pretty much clears the shooter.
Its in the same video, wtf

And the shooter is cleared? The pushER was walking BACKWARDS.

Forum List

Back