Kasich-Hickenlooper eye Bid for 2020: Mixed Ticket for President and VP?

Do you support this bipartisan platform? Or the same concept but with other leaders? Who?

• 1. Yes, I'd vote for this concept and candidates. Or others (please specify)

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • 2. No, this is more collusion with party politics and not the right direction

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • 3. Yes and No (please specify) I want change but not like this

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 4. Other

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Though I'm almost certain Trump will face a primary challenge, I fear that too many Republicans will enter the race and allow the incumbency effect to carry Trump to his second GOP nomination.
This would be an opportune moment for Democrats and Republicans alike to figure out what in hell REALLY happened that got Trump elected. We've had plenty of pointing at the surface issues. But how he manipulated the media and ran an overwhelmingly successful campaign based on television hype and fairly standard sales techniques has to be analyzed. He just filled a niche and spoke to a large constituency that had not been recognized in a long time. And then there was the explosion of fake news against the Dems. Obviously, he didn't win on the basis of his character, his credentials or the potency of his ideas. He won on celebrity.
Figure it out, everyone, before we rinse and repeat.
He just filled a niche and spoke to a large constituency that had not been recognized in a long time.

That pretty well summarizes his strategy. It's not a novel strategy, but it is the strategy that best describes how Trump won.

Politics is nothing but the marketing of ideas, namely public policy ideas. Trump is a decent enough marketer. It's not much of a leap to apply service marketing principles to the end of marketing ideas and oneself. A major problem with Trump is that he is like a person who interviews really well and gets hired and who, upon completing their training, shows that for as strong an interviewer as they are, they are lousy (for whatever reason(s)) at actually doing the job. The job at which Trump stinks is governing.
I think Trump really appealed to the working people left out of left-wing politics.
Xelor it's the liberals who have been able to market their political agenda.

That's why all the media keep pushing Obamacare while working ppl on Both Left and Right were Silenced in our protests and demands to end corporate insurance benefits "sold to the public" as health care reforms. Even the Democrats were split over this, demanding REAL universal care but being silenced politically by leftist elitists selling out the party to get votes only.

Trump capitalised on this corruption and rallied working ppl to vote for him. That proves the liberal media was wrong, and there wasn't mass support for bureaucracy that costs taxpayers more.

Just like Obama , ppl voted for change. There were enough ppl fed up with Both parties selling out. Clinton and Sanders both push for more dependence on govt. Cruz was the front runner pushing for Constitutional reforms of govt, but he couldn't play the media bullying games as well as Trump did who even outdid the Democrats. Hillary played the game enough to beat Sanders, where Hillary had more support from Republicans crossing parties as did Democrats votijg for Trump.
Between Clinton and Trump, Trump was still deemed the lesser of two evils. At least Trump will listen and back down to Constitutional rebukes by opponents among his own constituents; while Hillary wouldn't listen but silenced opposing Democrats. Unlike Clinton, Trump was able to reconcile enough with Cruz to enforce Constitutional policies. Hillary and the high end Democrats still aren't fully representing the grassroots progressives including the Sanders supporters calling for exit.

At the DNC chair convention in Houston, candidates there acknowledged they lost touch with working ppl turned away by the political rhetoric with no real results. Trump and Cruz are fighting a battle to stop co opting of the GOP by career politicians and sellouts. The Democrats face a similar battle but it's the rich oppressing the poor from within. If the Republicans kick out their liars and unite the real leaders first, they may get to unity first. The Democrats have to renounce and quit playing the lying games, push for transparency, and real solutions to prison, health care, and immigration reform, or it's just more "battle of the bullshit" in the media. Trump is fighting that battle with the Democrats; and where it looks like a deadlock, all the public loses. We waste our energy, resources and attention which means real solutions go neglected and unfunded.

The real fate and future of the country depends on leaders from all parties working together transparently on solutions that require all of us to work out. Not hateful negative campaigns through the media just to get ppl to the polls. But real life longterm business and reform plans we agree to invest our taxes in.

See other msg on prison reforms, on Zuckerberg and other liberals,
Liberal movement for Prison reforms? Mark Zuckerberg, Durrel Douglas, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee
that can change how health Care is funded to work toward universal care.
Xelor it's the liberals who have been able to market their political agenda. That's why all the media keep pushing Obamacare while working ppl on Both Left and Right were Silenced in our protests and demands to end corporate insurance benefits "sold to the public" as health care reforms.

Some "working ppl" allowed themselves to be "silenced." (I'd call it "marginalized," not "silenced," but that's me.) Working people like me, like many other individuals I know well are routinely heard when they want to be. Other working people I know make no effort to be heard despite their having strong views on a specific or assortment of issues. Nobody did that to those people; they allow it to happen even though they don't have to.

There were enough ppl fed up with Both parties selling out.

Did they really "sell out?" I don't think so.

I posit that instead that many members of the electorate have an errant sense of what the two major parties indeed stand for nominally versus pivotally. Furthermore, from what I can tell, the individuals and organizations that most strenuously express and exercise their political preferences do so with a degree of focus and coherence of principle and ends that few individual voters even conceive of having, let alone actually have.

For instance:
A business that lobbies Congress will do so for every proposed and actual piece of legislation and legislative provision. The business' stance will, without exception, derive from the one thing that a business exists to advance: the earnings it produces for its owner(s). Quite simply, businesses don't care whether the elected office holder is a Democrat or a Republican; they care whether they get what they want. Even if it doesn't get what it wants, business managers nonetheless look at the actual policy outcome, ask themselves "how can I make what did result 'work' for this firm?", and then they go about making it work. (If there happens also to be a cadre of individuals who press for alteration of the enacted policy, a business may out of convenience join the push, but even as it does so, it's moving forward with availing itself of the opportunity(s) made available by the enacted policy, even though it's not the one the business preferred.

Individuals, in contrast are not nearly so focused. Individuals quite often are "single issue" rather than "single purpose" voters. Far too many individual voters simply do not develop a set of compatible, cogent and coherent principles that in turn guide their political choices and activities. Individuals' combined sloth and predilection for political incoherence makes it (1) hard for them to clearly and accurately understand the true nature of parties and the candidates elected in association with the parties, and (2) easy for candidates, parties, political action groups, etc. to misrepresent, well, frankly, pretty much anything. Most issues have enough "angles" that it's just a matter of finding out what "angle" appeals to the most people "right now," and then show them that angle.

That's what happens when one is (1) grounded by nothing, (2) grounded by sophistry, or (3) "grounded" by too many things. The thing is that that is nobody's fault but the individual's. The individuals and organizations that are aptly and clearly focused, ideologically coherent, etc. know it and and they use individuals' multifurcation to their advantage; one cannot really blame them for doing so.​

Trump will listen and back down to Constitutional rebukes by opponents among his own constituents

Are you serious? Is the 4th Amendment and utter disregard of it not in your mind a Constitutional matter. I'm certain Trump heard the recent resounding 4th-related admonishments from attorneys and Constitutional scholars in his own party, and yet Trump has completely abrogated the 4th and the rule of law, behaving not like a president, but like a monarch, and it's not the first time he's done so. Hearing someone and heeding the input of one's subject-matter betters are not the same things.

Trump was still deemed the lesser of two evils.

No, he was not. He won the electoral vote, not the popular vote. What that means is he is lawfully the POTUS; however, most voters did not consider him "the lesser of two evils;" only the right voters in the right places did. That produced a win, but not a win that supports the assertion you've made.

At the DNC chair convention in Houston, candidates there acknowledged they lost touch with working ppl turned away by the political rhetoric with no real results. Trump and Cruz are fighting a battle to stop co opting of the GOP by career politicians and sellouts.

What everyone should be fighting to correct is an electoral model wherein the qualities that make one successful as a candidate are not the qualities that make one successful as a governing head of state. The former is all about effective marketing. The latter is all about effective leadership and management. People who are very good at one may or may not be good at the other. I think you see as much too, but your statements just above refute the notion that you do even as the remark below supports it.
The real fate and future of the country depends on leaders
When you talk about co-opting and "selling out," you must necessarily also have some notions of accountability. How about the notion of one's being accountable for their published statements of position? If you think politicians are rightly held to those positions, I bid you go find Trump's campaign positions on his website. Of course, you won't be able to. (Hillary's positions -- and in all their detail, something which Trump's statements never approached matching -- on the issues of the 2016 campaign are still there for all to see.)
Dear Xelor what matters with Trump or any federal official is they uphold their oath to defend the Constitution and due process of laws there under. If Trump keeps pushing wall or other immigration policies that don't solve the problem s but create more, of course, those versions of the reforms are going to fail if they don't meet Constititionalist standards. Trump and all govt officials need to enforce the Constitution, not violating it left and right!

Note: Obama violated the Constitution by passing and enforcing ACA mandates that violated Constitutional beliefs. Roberts has also been contested for ruling on this as a tax when it wasn't passed by voting on it as a tax. Clinton abused power to obstruct Justice and bypass due process of laws regarding breaches of security policy with classified information which doesn't require "criminal intent" to establish negligence.

Trump should not be able to see any wall policy or health care reform except it is laid out and corrected Constitutionally.

Loyalty must be to the Constitution before party and no personal word can be enforced before oath of office. See code of ethics for govt service: www.ethics-commission.net Democrats keep pushing party beliefs and agenda Before oath of office to defend people of ALL beliefs and Creed's equally by the Constitution. Trump won't get anything done unless it satisfies all the people because he gets checked by both Democrats putting party and populist approach first before the Constitution, and Republicans and Libertarians who put their party and Constitutional principles first. Trump gets stopped from both sides. His promised proposals can only go through if they are revised to be fully Constitutional and inclusive of all parties beliefs.

Rhetorically, the post above is just all over the place, that is incoherent, and I'm almost certain I should not endeavor to respond in substance to any statements in it. How is it incoherent? Well, here're three examples:
  • You mention "wall or other immigration policies" with regard to constitutionality, and mention not one constitutional provision that you think supports or that you think is violated by any "wall or other immigration" policy.

I get the general theme of constitutionality needing to be maintained, and I don't disagree with that. Who would? To actually consider and subsequently discuss your remarks about the constitutionality of Trump's "wall or other immigration policies," don't you think you need to at least identify one or several specific policy points and the respective provisions of the Constitution that support them or that they violate?

I certainly do, if for no other reason than to reign-in the scope of the discussion, which given the thread title probably should be contexted around something having to do with whether Trump will face a 2020 election campaign challenge...I'm certainly not going to just launch into a discussion of every aspect of Trump's "wall or other immigration policies" and their constitutionality (or lack thereof) merely to ensure I address whichever one(s) you happen to have in mind. Even given my willingness to comprehensively discuss my/other's ideas, that's more than I'm going to undertake.
  • In your post you make several remarks alluding to various provisions of the Constitution, including the 1st, 5th, and 14th Amendments and yet you completely ignore Article I, Section 8, which isn't an amendment to the document, but rather a standing core component of it. For some of those statements, "empty" is a better description of your assertions themselves than is "incoherent," for the incoherence is seen only upon trying to see how they relate to something specific vis a vis the topic and remarks that spurred you to make the statements.
    • 1st Amendment reference -- "defend people of ALL beliefs and Creed's equally"
    • 5th & 14th Amendment references:
      • " what matters with Trump or any federal official is they uphold their oath to defend the Constitution and due process of laws there under"
      • "Clinton abused power to obstruct Justice and bypass due process of laws"
  • Multiple times you expressed notions of, what for want of a term, I'll call "idealistic absolutism," that is the "all or nothing" theme implicit in several of your remarks. You several times referred to satisfying all the people or parties. It's absurd to think that is going to happen. Broad spectrum policies such as those we ponder in politics satisfy (displease) by degrees. You also several times asserted as to what is, when the things you aver are, simply are not.
I've grown to expect that sort of rambling mess from many members, you're not among them, and I'm thus vexed over how to respond to your comments....

what matters with Trump or any federal official is they uphold their oath to defend the Constitution and due process of laws there under.

Agreed.

If Trump keeps pushing wall or other immigration policies that don't solve the problem s but create more, of course, those versions of the reforms are going to fail if they don't meet Constititionalist standards.

The premise here is just absurd. The substance of your statement is "if policies create problems, they are unconstitutional and thus will not be be enacted." Well, that's clearly not so. U.S. history gives us multiple examples of laws that created problems, problems that were foreseen prior to the laws' enactment, and that were yet enacted.
  • The 18th Amendment
  • The Constitution itself was enacted such that under it slavery was permitted. The 13th Amendment removed that allowance.
  • The end of 20th century saw the climax of Washington's war on the tobacco industry that treats us all like children in order to stop kids from smoking. Yet Washington had subsidized tobacco for decades. What sort of problems did tobacco subsidies engender? More than the direct cash cost of the subsidies, to say the least.
  • In the realm of healthcare one finds the laws that established the laws and policies that encourage(-d) business to offer comprehensive, first-dollar insurance policies to workers, and Medicare/Medicaid, the government’s massive fee-for-service insurance programs for the elderly and poor, have resulted in three of every four dollars of medical care being directly paid by someone other than the recipient of the goods/services. The natural result has been rising demand, exploding costs, and increasing bureaucratization as private insurers and government alike attempt to restrict patient choice.

The single biggest problem with health care and health insurance is, IMO, that we, the whole world really, has implemented a model whereby individuals receive and benefit directly from the services provided, but they don't at all pay anything close to the selling price of those services. Now, sure as I see that is the root problem, I also realize there's likely no way to fix it. Most "stuff" that people want and need is priced such that most consumers can afford to buy it. No so health care, and I cannot imagine that medical service and equipment providers/producers are at all willing to accept lower rates of remuneration. Indeed, it's so "not so" that many people don't perceive that they are buying something (except, of course, when they're ticked off with a health care provider). (The increase in high deductible plans helps resolve the economic problem I've described by making consumers of health care pay more of the cost of the care they purchase/receive. Of course, they also reduce demand for health care services/goods. That, however, may not be a bad thing.)

Quite frankly, I don't completely oppose the notion of health insurance, but I absolutely oppose the notion that any tax dollars go to pay for the health care of individuals who routinely exhibit behaviors that are detrimental to good health: smoking, being more than ten pounds overweight, using alcohol and recreational drugs. I don't have any desire to actively proscribe those behaviors, but I would surely prefer our system provide no subsidized (regardless of who/what organization provides the subsidy) health insurance/health care to people who practice those things.
Obama violated the Constitution by passing and enforcing ACA mandates that violated Constitutional beliefs.

The fact of the matter is that what is and is not constitutional at any given point in time is determined ultimately by the SCOTUS. To the extent the SCOTUS has upheld O-care provisions, those provisions were and are constitutional.

Roberts has also been contested for ruling on this as a tax when it wasn't passed by voting on it as a tax.

Unlike Donald Trump this past Friday, Justice Roberts took no unilateral action, he ruled with other justices on the nine member panel called the SCOTUS. The justices' very job is, in part, to decide what is and is not constitutional. They made their decision. SCOTUS justices make some decisions I like and some I don't. All their decisions, until reversed or superseded by an amendment to the Constitution, are by the terms of the Constitution, constitutional.

Democrats keep pushing party beliefs and agenda Before oath of office to defend people of ALL beliefs and Creed's equally by the Constitution.

I have news for you: all beliefs are not defensible. The fact that one has a belief (or several) of some sort does not at all make that belief sound and thus defensible, let alone soundly defensible given the terms of the Constitution. What do I mean?

Locke’s approach to toleration is not defensible today. Jeremy Waldron defines toleration as “an argument which gives a reason for not interfering with a person’s beliefs even when we have a reason to hold that those beliefs or practices are mistaken, heretical or depraved.” Locke’s doctrine of toleration explicitly excludes certain groups from being tolerated, namely, atheists and Catholics.

For example, Locke says that “those are not at all to be tolerated who deny the being of God…the taking away of God though but even in thought, dissolves all.” Although Locke’s idea of toleration does exclude certain groups, one can very credibly argue that it is defensible because, as Locke argued, exclusion is necessary to maintain a civil society. As Alex Tuckness argues, “the principle [Locke] derived was not ‘suppress beliefs you think harmful to the public good…’ but rather ‘suppress only those beliefs that would make civil society impossible if widely held.’”

Locke’s toleration doctrine, when applied to modern society, would not necessarily target Atheists and Catholics, but other modern groups that pose a threat. For example, the American government uses this principle to justify if not explicit intoleration, then discrimination against groups of people they believe to be a threat to the United States. They discriminate when drafting laws regarding airport security, military detention, and personal surveillance.

In the United States, established law regarding religious freedoms considers the effects of a secular law by striking it down when it either advances or inhibits religion. This is necessary because, as Waldron points out, secular or neutral laws “may discriminate unequally…against a particular group.” Locke’s theory of neutrality does not protect citizens against this possibly unintentional, but still restrictive, discrimination, nor should it if civil society is to be maintained. We see as much manifest in our tolerance, for example, of Muslim belief, but draw the line at allowing Sharia Law to, in courtrooms, supersede the Constitution.

The effects of secular laws are, in the context of tolerating belief, irrelevant for any acts of the magistrate to force his religion on others be in vain. As Locke says, “true and saving religion consists in the inward persuasion of the mind…it cannot be compelled to the belief of anything by outward force.” Secular law that unequally affects or restricts a particular religion could in no way have an impact on any follower’s belief or, therefore, religious freedom.

The key, however, is that freedom of belief and freedom of action are different and that difference is well established in our code of laws via the concepts of actus rea and mens rea. You are free to believe, for instance, that I should be killed, or whatever else you care to believe. You are not free to act on that belief. The same reasoning applies to a host of criminally and civilly proscribed behaviors. Similarly, one's beliefs need not even be reflective of what is so demonstratively.

Trump won't get anything done unless it satisfies all the people

I can assure you that simply is not the case. It has not been the case for any president. Satisfying all the people is a pipe dream and insisting upon doing so is a prescription for failure.

His promised proposals can only go through if they are revised to be fully Constitutional and inclusive of all parties beliefs.

Again, that simply is not so. It's not ever going to be.

Clinton abused power to obstruct Justice and bypass due process of laws regarding breaches of security policy with classified information which doesn't require "criminal intent" to establish negligence.

As noted above, you are free to believe that is so, but you are wrong in asserting that is so. The relevant standing SCOTUS ruling requires mens rea and actus rea be proven to obtain a guilty verdict with regard to the statutes Mrs. Clinton's actions violated.
Section 793(f), the law under which Mrs. Clinton might have been prosecuted, makes it a felony for any person “entrusted with… information relating to the national defense” to allow that information to be “removed from its proper place of custody” through “gross negligence.” On its face, the law does not appear to require intent, but it turns out the key phrase in 793(f) is not “gross negligence.” The key phrase is “related to the national defense.”

Section 793(f) is a subsection of the Espionage Act, a controversial statute enacted during World War I in order to combat efforts by German agents to undermine the American war effort. The Act has been amended and renumbered many times, but its core provisions have not substantively changed. The Espionage Act has only sparingly been used to file criminal charges, but when it has been used it is often in high-profile cases. Eugene Debs was jailed under the Espionage Act for anti-war activities during World War I. The Rosenbergs were charged under the Espionage Actwhen they sold nuclear secrets to the Soviet Union. More recently, both Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden were charged under the Espionage Act for providing classified material to WikiLeaks.

The law has been controversial since its inception and prosecutions under the Act have been challenged as unconstitutional in several instances. The most famous of these cases is probably Schenck v. United States (1919), where the government charged two men with obstructing registration for the military draft by distributing leaflets urging young men not to register. The Supreme Court heard the case and unanimously upheld the convictions and the statute. It was in Schenck that Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes famously wrote that it is not protected speech to “yell fire in a crowded theater.”

But as time went by, feeling towards the Espionage Act began to sour. Later in 1919, the Supreme Court heard Abrams v. United States. That case involved the distribution of leaflets by anarchists who urged factory workers to refuse to participate in production of war materiel. In Abrams, the Court again upheld the convictions, but this time the decision was not unanimous. Holmes, who had written the majority opinion in Schenck, was one of the dissenters. Two years later, the Sedition Act, a 1918 amendment to the Espionage Act that imposed criminal sanctions for anti-war speech, was repealed by Congress in its entirety.

The Espionage Act was left on the books, however, in the years after the war it was used only sparingly. When it was used, it was often controversial because it resulted in prosecutions that civil libertarians believed infringed on press freedom and the right to political protest. Perhaps the most famous of these cases is the prosecution of Daniel Ellsberg for leaking the Pentagon papers The courts too grew wary of the Espionage Act and as a result their readings of it narrowed the scope of the law and limited when it could be used.

This helps provide context as to why James Comey insisted that intent was required to satisfy the requirement of 793(f). Even though the plain language of the statute reads “gross negligence,” the Supreme Court has essentially rewritten the statue to require intent to sustain a conviction.

In Gorin v. United States (1941), the Supreme Court heard a challenge to a conviction of a Navy intelligence official who sold classified material to the Soviet Union on Japanese intelligence operations in the United States. In that case, the defendant was charged with selling information “relating to the national defense” to a foreign power. The defendant argued on appeal that the phrase “relating to the national defense” was unconstitutionally vague, so much so that the defendant was deprived of the ability to predetermine whether his actions were a crime.

Justice Stanley Reed, a conservative justice, wrote the majority opinion and disagreed that the law was unconstitutionally vague, but only on the very narrow grounds that the law required “intent or reason to believe that the information to be obtained is to be used to the injury of the United States.” Only because the court read the law to require scienter, or bad faith, before a conviction could be sustained was the law constitutional. Otherwise, it would be too difficult for a defendant to know when exactly material related to the national defense. The court made clear that if the law criminalized the simple mishandling of classified information, it would not survive constitutional scrutiny, writing:

The sections are not simple prohibitions against obtaining or delivering to foreign powers information… relating to national defense. If this were the language, it would need to be tested by the inquiry as to whether it had double meaning or forced anyone, at his peril, to speculate as to whether certain actions violated the statute. In other words, the defendant had to intend for his conduct to benefit a foreign power for his actions to violate 793(f).

Without the requirement of intent, the phrase “relating to the national defense” would be unconstitutionally vague. This reading of the statute has guided federal prosecutors ever since, which is why Comey based his decision not to file charges on Clinton’s lack of intent. This is also why no one has ever been convicted of violating 793(f) on a gross negligence theory. It is also why Mrs. Clinton was not prosecuted even though she was found to have had classified material on her personal server.

See also:
Could charges have been levied, and we just see "how the dice fall?" Well, yes, but that's not how American jurisprudence works; moreover, a point of pressing charges is to prevail at trial. Given Gorin that wasn't going to happen. The charge would have been dismissed due to there being insufficient proof of the intent Gorin requires. Once the charge is dismissed, that's it. "Double jeopardy" prohibitions rule out trying the matter again, and there is no other applicable statute. (AFAIK, there aren't any state or local statues that might have applied.)

Trump should not be able to see [enacted] any wall policy or health care reform except it is laid out and corrected Constitutionally.

Well, that's a normative statement, and frankly one with which I agree.

Attachments

• Subsidies and Prices.pdf
    180.9 KB · Views: 12
Nikki Haley and Joseph Manchin ... reasonable reps from both parties. A little sanity wouldn't hurt anyone.
Whoa, two more reasonable, thoughtful legislators who piss off the crazies in their parties.

I like it.

From what I have seen and heard of him, I wonder why a reasonable person like Joseph Manchin is a Democrat.

I hope (and predict) that he changes party affiliation

Nikki Haley and Joseph Manchin ... reasonable reps from both parties. A little sanity wouldn't hurt anyone.
Whoa, two more reasonable, thoughtful legislators who piss off the crazies in their parties.

I like it.

From what I have seen and heard of him, I wonder why a reasonable person like Joseph Manchin is a Democrat.

Well, he's pretty much a man without a party right now. He's too moderate for both parties.

So why bother? Plus he'd have to change all his stationery.

So Kasich wants to give Trump a second term?

Cause that's what will happen.

Think about it. Kasichs appeal is to the left. Most of the Republicans already backed Trump over Kasich, which is why he wont the primary. Kasich has almost zero likeability among Republicans. Conservatives who went third party wont be going to Kasich, they will likely remain third party unless trump does better than expected.

So Kasich will appeal to the less radical left. He might do better running as a Dem. But if independent it is he syphons off dems more than Republicans.

He might even put Cali in play if the left is divided between the Dem and Kasich

If Kasich had dropped out earlier Cruz may have managed to beat Trump. Ironic if he gives us a second term for trump

You are correct that Kasich lost a lot of credibility with Republicans. I voted for him for reelection because he's done some good things here in Ohio. However, after seeing his petulant personality during the Republican presidential debates, I lost a lot of respect for him and regretted my vote.

Kaisch is a guy around my age. We were raised with the belief a mans word is as good as a contract. Once you renege on your word, you lost all dignity.

Not only did he renege on his promise to support whoever the Republican nominee was, when the convention was held here, Kasich was nowhere to be found. Like I said, the man is childish. He couldn't support a city in his very own state.

Afterwards he's made several statements bashing our President. His name is mud here in Ohio among most Republicans.

So let him run. He won't win anything in this state, and you need the support of Ohio to win a presidential election. The man is a terrible campaigner. All he wants to talk about is what "he did" instead of what he would like to do. I don't care what you did. If I want to learn what you did, I'll Google it.

Kasich, Hickenlooper eye joint 2020 bid

YES! After a website went down that had been advocating to allow Mixed Tickets,
These two candidates may be able to pull that off if they run as Independents.

Wow. I had been pushing for this also: for Democrats to focus on the VP position
and manage programs by States through the Senate. While Republicans focus on
the Presidential position as Commander in Chief for national security, foreign relations and global economy. Split the White House responsibilities between Domestic policies and International.

Do you think we can start organizing this NOW?
Start collaborations between parties instead of divisive rhetoric to bully for dominance?

Are these the right leaders for the job?
Or do you see other people taking charge if parties start collaborating on public policy?

I want to see Ralph Nader and Paul Glover of the Greens in cabinet positions also.
Do you support these two candidates in pushing for inter-party collaboration?
Or others? Who?
===============

Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R) and Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper (D) — "the Johns," as insiders are calling them — have been making a flurry of joint appearances to talk about state-driven improvements to health care.

But Axios has learned that their duet is part of an alliance that's gaining momentum toward a possible joint independent bid for president in 2020, likely with Kasich at the top of the ticket:

Keep reading 346 words
  • The two, who got to know each other at conferences, plan to extend their joint platform from health care to two other hot policy areas: immigration and job creation.
  • On health care (with a detailed plan to be released soon), the two have broadened their efforts to a bipartisan group that includes 11 governors.
  • The Johns' jobs plan will focus on the coming displacement from automation, with prescriptions that include trade, workforce training — and an optimistic and hopeful message, balanced with an honest admission that some jobs just aren't coming back.
  • The two are talking to major media companies about a possible podcast or cable show to continue cementing their brand. Their conversations would include politics, policy, and pop culture.
  • In D.C. in early September, the two will hold a health-care conference that includes policy input from the American Enterprise Institute on the right and the Center for American Progress on the left.
  • Kasich, who's being advised by veteran consultant John Weaver, is keeping open all his options, including the possibility of primarying Trump in 2020.
  • Nothing subtle about any of this: Kasich has urged Hickenlooper to visit New Hampshire.
  • Both are 65 and both were born in the crucial electoral state of Pennsylvania, Kasich from the Pittsburgh side and Hickenlooper from the Philly side (corrected).
  • Both are proud policy wonks, and their staffs are said to get along famously.
Why it matters: National Dems so far haven't capitalized on Trump's record unpopularity and obsession with his base. But this is a creative coupling that'll get a ton of airtime, and maybe even traction.

The pushback: Some establishment Dems are apoplectic about the idea of Hickenlooper teaming up with a Republican. One top strategist told me: "No Dem wants Kasich anywhere near our ticket. Sounds like a No Labels fantasy, but moderate Dems would hate it."

But a veteran operative emails: "Our political system is completely broken. Something big and historic needs to happen to break the logjam. I'm a big Dem but I'm for anything that ... does away with this hyper-partisanship on both sides that is paralyzing our government."

It may work. America is tired of both parties. Donald Trump's 2016 victory was historic in that he ran against Democrats, Republicans, the Press and Washington as a whole. While the demonization of himself takes place daily, his Victory in 2016 makes a mixed ticket more possible.

Kasich, Hickenlooper eye joint 2020 bid

YES! After a website went down that had been advocating to allow Mixed Tickets,
These two candidates may be able to pull that off if they run as Independents.

Wow. I had been pushing for this also: for Democrats to focus on the VP position
and manage programs by States through the Senate. While Republicans focus on
the Presidential position as Commander in Chief for national security, foreign relations and global economy. Split the White House responsibilities between Domestic policies and International.

Do you think we can start organizing this NOW?
Start collaborations between parties instead of divisive rhetoric to bully for dominance?

Are these the right leaders for the job?
Or do you see other people taking charge if parties start collaborating on public policy?

I want to see Ralph Nader and Paul Glover of the Greens in cabinet positions also.
Do you support these two candidates in pushing for inter-party collaboration?
Or others? Who?
===============

Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R) and Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper (D) — "the Johns," as insiders are calling them — have been making a flurry of joint appearances to talk about state-driven improvements to health care.

But Axios has learned that their duet is part of an alliance that's gaining momentum toward a possible joint independent bid for president in 2020, likely with Kasich at the top of the ticket:

Keep reading 346 words
  • The two, who got to know each other at conferences, plan to extend their joint platform from health care to two other hot policy areas: immigration and job creation.
  • On health care (with a detailed plan to be released soon), the two have broadened their efforts to a bipartisan group that includes 11 governors.
  • The Johns' jobs plan will focus on the coming displacement from automation, with prescriptions that include trade, workforce training — and an optimistic and hopeful message, balanced with an honest admission that some jobs just aren't coming back.
  • The two are talking to major media companies about a possible podcast or cable show to continue cementing their brand. Their conversations would include politics, policy, and pop culture.
  • In D.C. in early September, the two will hold a health-care conference that includes policy input from the American Enterprise Institute on the right and the Center for American Progress on the left.
  • Kasich, who's being advised by veteran consultant John Weaver, is keeping open all his options, including the possibility of primarying Trump in 2020.
  • Nothing subtle about any of this: Kasich has urged Hickenlooper to visit New Hampshire.
  • Both are 65 and both were born in the crucial electoral state of Pennsylvania, Kasich from the Pittsburgh side and Hickenlooper from the Philly side (corrected).
  • Both are proud policy wonks, and their staffs are said to get along famously.
Why it matters: National Dems so far haven't capitalized on Trump's record unpopularity and obsession with his base. But this is a creative coupling that'll get a ton of airtime, and maybe even traction.

The pushback: Some establishment Dems are apoplectic about the idea of Hickenlooper teaming up with a Republican. One top strategist told me: "No Dem wants Kasich anywhere near our ticket. Sounds like a No Labels fantasy, but moderate Dems would hate it."

But a veteran operative emails: "Our political system is completely broken. Something big and historic needs to happen to break the logjam. I'm a big Dem but I'm for anything that ... does away with this hyper-partisanship on both sides that is paralyzing our government."

Warren/Collins ; )
Please don't take Collins from us--we're hoping she's running for Governor of Maine next year.

Then Warren/Murkowski, the rabids would implode.
I need to learn more about Warren. What I've seen of her on 20 second news clips during the 6 o'clock news have not been very impressive. Her name keeps getting thrown in the ring, though.

You need a personality to go along with your ideas to be President. One contribution to Hillary's loss was her personality. Then of course the multiple stories of how she treated her employees when the cameras were off. The woman came off as a bitch.

Warren is much worse than Hillary. Her party may like her, but again, her abrasive personality would never win the hearts of the American people. She would go down in flames if she ever ran.

I like it.

Well, he's pretty much a man without a party right now. He's too moderate for both parties.

As a Democrat I can say I'm more than happy with Manchin as senator in West Virginia, he's not too 'moderate'. It's not going to be the Democrats who take Manchin out, so seriously, stop with the 'both sides equal' bullshit.

I like it.

As a Democrat I can say I'm more than happy with Manchin as senator in West Virginia, he's not too 'moderate'. It's not going to be the Democrats who take Manchin out, so seriously, stop with the 'both sides equal' bullshit.
I've never said the sides are "equal". Ever.

Though I'm almost certain Trump will face a primary challenge, I fear that too many Republicans will enter the race and allow the incumbency effect to carry Trump to his second GOP nomination.
This would be an opportune moment for Democrats and Republicans alike to figure out what in hell REALLY happened that got Trump elected. We've had plenty of pointing at the surface issues. But how he manipulated the media and ran an overwhelmingly successful campaign based on television hype and fairly standard sales techniques has to be analyzed. He just filled a niche and spoke to a large constituency that had not been recognized in a long time. And then there was the explosion of fake news against the Dems. Obviously, he didn't win on the basis of his character, his credentials or the potency of his ideas. He won on celebrity.
Figure it out, everyone, before we rinse and repeat.

Trump connected to ordinary Americans, that's how he won. If you have discussions about politics with family, with coworkers, with friends at the bar, they talk exactly like Trump. No sugar coating, no worry about offending some people, just say it the way it is.

Trump came off as a bad ass. He didn't care about the media, he didn't care about what his foes had to say about him, he punched back twice as hard as he got hit. When was the last time we had any contender with those traits?

Trump showed the ability to give us real leadership. If any other politician says something the media tears apart, they come out with an apology, telling people it's not what they meant, cowering to the media. Trump didn't do that. When questioned about what Trump said about Mexico, he didn't apologize. He said Mexico is sending their criminals to this country and I meant it! Do you want me to say it again?

To be totally honest, I was disappointed when Trump caved into the media about Charlottesville. He said all hate parties were responsible and he should have stuck to it and not back peddled.

I like it.

'He's too moderate for both parties", that is factually incorrect.

I like it.

It's an opinion, not a fact.

It's a shame that partisans can no longer tell the difference.

It's an opinion, not a fact.

It's a shame that partisans can no longer tell the difference.

It's obviously an opinion and not a fact.

I'm all for some sort of Unity ticket, sounds good. Who wins the debates in the White House? Say abortion? The President or the Vice President who has little power?

What is the platform for a Kasich/Hickenlooper ticket? Wouldn't that matter before you blindly throw your support for this ticket based on name only?

When was the last time an incumbent Republican President faced a primary challenger? It doesn't happen very often with either party. Last one I recall was when Teddy Kennedy ran against Carter.

Warren/Collins ; )
Please don't take Collins from us--we're hoping she's running for Governor of Maine next year.
Dear Peach and OldLady
Thanks for giving specific names.
Yes I believe we need to plan ahead, with full transparency, which leaders need to serve in which roles. Why compete for the same slots while others go without a good contender? Why not create jobs for all leaders to serve to maximum capacity, instead of wasting millions when candidates from the same party run against each other! That money could have paid to create a whole separate job for someone to reform problem s directly instead of campaigning on promises that come out empty.

OldLady about Trump voters, we do need to focus on what are the real solutions that will redress taxpayers issues, not just what wins campaign votes. Where do taxpayers want to put our money, and what solutions will get our debts paid off or paid back? The solutions I see come from leaders from all parties. The reason I voted for Trump as a Democrat was that he would push for independent business plans and would be held in check by both parties not letting him get away with any Unconstitutional BS as Obama or Clinton would get away with without check. Trump is compelling the people to get involved in govt or else nothing will get done. Unless all sides agree , so we have to come up with solid financial solutions. It has to make sense to all sides, then we won't run into opposition. That's where America is heading.

I believe Cruz Libertarians and Constitutionalists will set up a grievance and settlement process to hold govt accountable for restitition and reimbursement for debts damages waste and corruption owed to taxpayers.

And it will take leaders and members of ALL parties to represent the programs and policies we each want to invest in both statewide and nationally. So which party leaders need to serve in which roles to coordinate between local state and national federal govt?

Can we hold a cross-party Constitutional convention and work out a network system of equal representation on issues? Why can't everyone fund jobs for the candidates and officers we want to hire you manage our programs? Isn't there enough work and demand to create jobs for all leaders who want to get involved?
Why compete for the same slots while others go without a good contender? Why not create jobs for all leaders to serve to maximum capacity, instead of wasting millions when candidates from the same party run against each other!
We're definitely on the same train there, Emily.

While our system may be termed 'wasteful' (I disagree, liberty costs more than authoritaranism) and 'sloppy', it is the best humans have developed, I would not trade our political system.
Does that mean you oppose the idea of having a Repub and a Dem on one ticket for Pres and VP?

What ticket will they run on? Not demofart. Not republican. Third party? Start something new? The Reject party.

I'm all for some sort of Unity ticket, sounds good. Who wins the debates in the White House? Say abortion? The President or the Vice President who has little power?

What is the platform for a Kasich/Hickenlooper ticket? Wouldn't that matter before you blindly throw your support for this ticket based on name only?
Probably the President - kind of like the Bush administration where Bush was against gay rights and Cheney was OK with them, seeing that his own daughter was lesbian. But Cheney deferred to Bush on the matter. That said, I doubt you would get a unity ticket where the candidates were widely apart on the issues.

Dear Peach and OldLady
Thanks for giving specific names.
Yes I believe we need to plan ahead, with full transparency, which leaders need to serve in which roles. Why compete for the same slots while others go without a good contender? Why not create jobs for all leaders to serve to maximum capacity, instead of wasting millions when candidates from the same party run against each other! That money could have paid to create a whole separate job for someone to reform problem s directly instead of campaigning on promises that come out empty.

OldLady about Trump voters, we do need to focus on what are the real solutions that will redress taxpayers issues, not just what wins campaign votes. Where do taxpayers want to put our money, and what solutions will get our debts paid off or paid back? The solutions I see come from leaders from all parties. The reason I voted for Trump as a Democrat was that he would push for independent business plans and would be held in check by both parties not letting him get away with any Unconstitutional BS as Obama or Clinton would get away with without check. Trump is compelling the people to get involved in govt or else nothing will get done. Unless all sides agree , so we have to come up with solid financial solutions. It has to make sense to all sides, then we won't run into opposition. That's where America is heading.

I believe Cruz Libertarians and Constitutionalists will set up a grievance and settlement process to hold govt accountable for restitition and reimbursement for debts damages waste and corruption owed to taxpayers.

And it will take leaders and members of ALL parties to represent the programs and policies we each want to invest in both statewide and nationally. So which party leaders need to serve in which roles to coordinate between local state and national federal govt?

Can we hold a cross-party Constitutional convention and work out a network system of equal representation on issues? Why can't everyone fund jobs for the candidates and officers we want to hire you manage our programs? Isn't there enough work and demand to create jobs for all leaders who want to get involved?
Why compete for the same slots while others go without a good contender? Why not create jobs for all leaders to serve to maximum capacity, instead of wasting millions when candidates from the same party run against each other!
We're definitely on the same train there, Emily.

While our system may be termed 'wasteful' (I disagree, liberty costs more than authoritaranism) and 'sloppy', it is the best humans have developed, I would not trade our political system.
Does that mean you oppose the idea of having a Repub and a Dem on one ticket for Pres and VP?

What ticket will they run on? Not demofart. Not republican. Third party? Start something new? The Reject party.
Maybe the pragmatist party that actually gets things done, instead of the nazicons and commiecrats who just argue and obstruct.

Probably the President - kind of like the Bush administration where Bush was against gay rights and Cheney was OK with them, seeing that his own daughter was lesbian. But Cheney deferred to Bush on the matter. That said, I doubt you would get a unity ticket where the candidates were widely apart on the issues.

Yeah, I just don't see a unity ticket with a Republican and Democrat that could actually win. Don't mean to shit on the idea, sounds nice, just in reality the best they could hope for is to play spoiler.

i'm for a unity ticket as well, Kasich and retirement.

When was the last time an incumbent Republican President faced a primary challenger? It doesn't happen very often with either party. Last one I recall was when Teddy Kennedy ran against Carter.

Carter and Kennedy were Republican?

Forum List

Back