Kavanaugh/Ford Opinion Thread Merge -- Tuesday Sept 25th 2018

Are Establishment GOP Operatives Throwing The Kavanaugh SCOTUS Nomination?

• Yes

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • I am undecided, but they are turning this in to a circus.

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters
Like Feinetein sitting on it since July. Making it leak right at the vote. Then using any stall tactic they can find.
At least she released the letter. What about the over 100,000 documents the WH has refused to release about Kavanagh?
Dems got more documents on Kavanaugh than any other nominee in history.

So?

The whole record should be scrutinized. If there was a police report, investigation, finding of fact, complaint filed etc... from 1983...it should be scrutinized. Lifetime appointments should come with lifetime scrutiny; don't you think? That there wasn't any such police report, investigation, finding of fact or complaint filed pretty much confirms that there was nothing to investigate, fact find, or complain about.

If Blasey threw a tantrum Like Kavanaugh did, repubs would call her a hysterical shrill.

If you're an "on the fence" Republican, after his lashing out at the Democrats and ONLY the Democrats on the committee, you would have to conclude that he has shown his partisan colors and cannot be impartial on the bench.

That is if you're wanting an impartial justice--which is what we should want.

If you want a conservative Republican on the bench; he's your guy and he's wearing that cloak proudly. Would this be a novel approach to voting to appoint a Justice? No. But don't claim impartiality is the goal and vote for Kav. He's shown himself to be quite partial. And I can't blame him one bit frankly.

If Blasey threw a tantrum Like Kavanaugh did, repubs would call her a hysterical shrill.

If you're an "on the fence" Republican, after his lashing out at the Democrats and ONLY the Democrats on the committee, you would have to conclude that he has shown his partisan colors and cannot be impartial on the bench.

If you want a conservative Republican on the bench; he's your guy and he's wearing that cloak proudly. Would this be a novel approach to voting to appoint a Justice? No. But don't claim impartiality is the goal and vote for Kav. He's shown himself to be quite partial. And I can't blame him one bit frankly.
The GOP doesn’t give a shit about integrity. All that matters is that their political will is enforced.

upload_2018-9-28_2-1-31.png

When they asked her to stand to be sworn in she looked to her lawyer for what to do. You can see him point to her hand to raise it.

This makes me think this is all an act.

How in the hell does someone get a Phd and act as someone who has to be told "Your right hand".

The GOP doesn’t give a shit about integrity. All that matters is that their political will is enforced.

In the case of this confirmation hearing, the Democrats have zero credibility, Senator Finestein in particular. The silence of her fellow Democrats concerning her tactics with the letter from Dr. Ford is shameful to say the least.

As for political will, this is what happens when you one party controls the Presidency and the Senate thanks to Harry Reid getting rid of the 60 vote threshold for cloture.

In the case of this confirmation hearing, the Democrats have zero credibility, Senator Finestein in particular. The silence of her fellow Democrats concerning her tactics with the letter from Dr. Ford is shameful to say the least.

As for political will, this is what happens when you one party controls the Presidency and the Senate thanks to Harry Reid getting rid of the 60 vote threshold for cloture.
Not that I think democrats wouldn’t want to try and orchestrate a political shitstorm, but are you suggesting Blasey isn’t credible?

Not that I think democrats wouldn’t want to try and orchestrate a political shitstorm, but are you suggesting Blasey isn’t credible?

Didn't watch today's proceedings.
Do not know if she is credible or not.
I do not care.

What the facts are is this. Something obviously happened. Apparently it wasn't serious enough--by her standard--to tell anyone. There is no record of her notifying any authority figure about the incident. I am of the strong opinion that you cannot come back 35 years later and claim it was serious. In our system, you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. In the court of public opinion, whatever you wish to believe is valid and as specialized as the individual. If she thinks she was raped, she was raped. But I have to wonder why the 35 year delay.

Unlike a Hollywood starlet who is beholden to Harvey Weinstein or Les Moonves; Kav had no sway over her future prospects.

Unlike the Roman Catholic priests who are (or at least were) beyond reproach, a child of 6 had no hope of being believed at one point.

Unlike the highly selective process of Olympic athletes and other high profile sports, the coaches and trainers who could make you or break you are on far different soil than the HS student Kav was at the time.

So Whether she was credible or not is an opinion each of us hold--at least those who watched.
Her story isn't credible though; Again, if you and I are working tonight and we get into a fist fight. Then in the year 2053, you're nominated to the Supreme Court or Rock and Roll HOF or about to receive your Nobel Prize...I can't come back at you and say you assaulted me if I don't tell our boss, our security guard, or call the police and claim assault in 2018; can I?

As for the political shitstorm...uh..as far as I know, Senator Finestein alone knew about this charge from Dr. Ford and notified nobody. Is that not the case?

Didn't watch today's proceedings.
Do not know if she is credible or not.
I do not care.

What the facts are is this. Something obviously happened. Apparently it wasn't serious enough--by her standard--to tell anyone. There is no record of her notifying any authority figure about the incident. I am of the strong opinion that you cannot come back 35 years later and claim it was serious. In our system, you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. In the court of public opinion, whatever you wish to believe is valid and as specialized as the individual. If she thinks she was raped, she was raped. But I have to wonder why the 35 year delay.

Unlike a Hollywood starlet who is beholden to Harvey Weinstein or Les Moonves; Kav had no sway over her future prospects.

Unlike the Roman Catholic priests who are (or at least were) beyond reproach, a child of 6 had no hope of being believed at one point.

Unlike the highly selective process of Olympic athletes and other high profile sports, the coaches and trainers who could make you or break you are on far different soil than the HS student Kav was at the time.

So Whether she was credible or not is an opinion each of us hold--at least those who watched.
Her story isn't credible though; Again, if you and I are working tonight and we get into a fist fight. Then in the year 2053, you're nominated to the Supreme Court or Rock and Roll HOF or about to receive your Nobel Prize...I can't come back at you and say you assaulted me if I don't tell our boss, our security guard, or call the police and claim assault in 2018; can I?

As for the political shitstorm...uh..as far as I know, Senator Finestein alone knew about this charge from Dr. Ford and notified nobody. Is that not the case?
I think you should be more sensitive to the idea that 2/3 of sexual assault victims do not report their crimes. In her case, it was only attempted rape. As a 15 year old, it would have been very hard for her to tell an adult about it. Moreover, she probably didn’t think it was worth the effort of reporting as she became an adult because it was just an attempt and it happened years prior. It likely didn’t hit home for her until Kavanaugh came into the public eye. It’s not even like she was attempting actual legal action.

Forum List

Back