Keeping guns from criminals - liberals, what is your plan?

This is how easy it is to get an illegal, fully auto rifle in Europe....

As Europe struggles to crack down on illegal weapons, some police recruits face a new training exercise: Go buy a Kalashnikov rifle. Donald says that in “a city in Europe,” which he would not name, “very young officers with no training or experience” were recently told to go find an assault weapon on the streets from an illegal arms dealer. “One came back two hours later with an AK-47,” Donald says. “He bought it for €1,000.”

So please......tell them they are wrong and you are right....

Oh, so one did. Therefore it's easy for all criminals. Especially criminals who don't have one thousand euros to their name.

I didn't say it wasn't possible to get guns. We've been through this before and you keep coming back with ONE EXAMPLE of someone getting a gun, and making no comparison with how easy it might be in the US to do the same thing.

You say this "very young officer" had "no training or experience", no training or experience with what? For all you know he might just have known people, or something else similar.

Again, for criminals in europe guns are generally going to cost more. That doesn't mean in every case this is going to be so, but on the whole it will be so. Also, it will be harder to get guns. Doesn't mean it will be impossible, it means it will be HARDER.
Anywhere in the world where there are guns it's easy for criminals to get them. Gun control only makes it HARDER for law abiding citizens to get them. This is why statistics show that crime is less where there is less gun control and vice versa. Anyone who can't see this as common sense has no common sense.

I agree with you in the part that I'm against invading Iraq and that's a big waste of money. But your view about how little the actual defense part costs is overstated. We are a global power, the cost is higher than you give credit to the underlying defense.

I'm not sure what you mean here. So, the US is a global power which spends a hell of a lot of money on its military. How much was spent on Iraq and Afghanistan? How much is spent keeping Israel's military up too? That's like $4 billion a year.

In the Cold War it wasn't the US which was facing threat of invasion, it was Europe, mostly Germany and military spending reflected this. However Europe has become closer since, with very few countries being outside of the loop, Russia, Belarus, Ukraine sometimes, and not many others to be honest. So what's with the need for defense spending when the threat is so low. The biggest threat to Europe has come from the fallout of the Iraq war.

Haven't followed the Ukraine, have you? Europe has

As Europe struggles to crack down on illegal weapons, some police recruits face a new training exercise: Go buy a Kalashnikov rifle. Donald says that in “a city in Europe,” which he would not name, “very young officers with no training or experience” were recently told to go find an assault weapon on the streets from an illegal arms dealer. “One came back two hours later with an AK-47,” Donald says. “He bought it for €1,000.”

Oh, so one did. Therefore it's easy for all criminals. Especially criminals who don't have one thousand euros to their name.

I didn't say it wasn't possible to get guns. We've been through this before and you keep coming back with ONE EXAMPLE of someone getting a gun, and making no comparison with how easy it might be in the US to do the same thing.

You say this "very young officer" had "no training or experience", no training or experience with what? For all you know he might just have known people, or something else similar.

Again, for criminals in europe guns are generally going to cost more. That doesn't mean in every case this is going to be so, but on the whole it will be so. Also, it will be harder to get guns. Doesn't mean it will be impossible, it means it will be HARDER.

European countries also don't have open borders like the US does where people can walk across them freely carrying drugs, guns, whatever they want

No, Europe doesn't have the Schengen Agreement. It's false, fake. Never happened. I've never walked across the border of various countries without being stopped. Like the Spain/Portugal border, I forgot my passport, didn't matter, no one was there to check it. Or the Austrian/German border, the Austria/Slovakian border, to name a few. Others I've gone over with transport, quite a few actually, Norway/Sweden, France/Belgium, Belgium/Germany/Germany/Holland etc etc etc

655px-Schengen_Area_participation.svg.png

Note, this map doesn't exist because you say so. Not because it doesn't actually exist.

I agree with you in the part that I'm against invading Iraq and that's a big waste of money. But your view about how little the actual defense part costs is overstated. We are a global power, the cost is higher than you give credit to the underlying defense.

I'm not sure what you mean here. So, the US is a global power which spends a hell of a lot of money on its military. How much was spent on Iraq and Afghanistan? How much is spent keeping Israel's military up too? That's like $4 billion a year.

In the Cold War it wasn't the US which was facing threat of invasion, it was Europe, mostly Germany and military spending reflected this. However Europe has become closer since, with very few countries being outside of the loop, Russia, Belarus, Ukraine sometimes, and not many others to be honest. So what's with the need for defense spending when the threat is so low. The biggest threat to Europe has come from the fallout of the Iraq war.

Well actually I have followed the Ukraine, and I've been to the Ukraine and I understood the Ukraine BEFORE the whole thing kicked off and I understand why the Ukraine happened and why it wouldn't happen anywhere else. But then, knowing stuff shouldn't get in the way of a bad argument, should it?

European countries also don't have open borders like the US does where people can walk across them freely carrying drugs, guns, whatever they want

No, Europe doesn't have the Schengen Agreement. It's false, fake. Never happened. I've never walked across the border of various countries without being stopped. Like the Spain/Portugal border, I forgot my passport, didn't matter, no one was there to check it. Or the Austrian/German border, the Austria/Slovakian border, to name a few. Others I've gone over with transport, quite a few actually, Norway/Sweden, France/Belgium, Belgium/Germany/Germany/Holland etc etc etc

655px-Schengen_Area_participation.svg.png

Note, this map doesn't exist because you say so. Not because it doesn't actually exist.

So you think walking between Germany and France is what I meant when I said they don't have open borders like we do?

Seriously?

Seeriousssssly, that's what you thought I meant. Again, I'm here now, I'm in the Netherlands

Explain who is Mexico in your clueless response. Yes, you can walk between developed countries here. I was talking about the ability for Al Qaeda to fly to Mexico City and cross our border. I was referring to Columbia and Afghanistan to ship drugs across our borders, that's unbelievable. I can't believe you actually came back with that

Anywhere in the world where there are guns it's easy for criminals to get them. Gun control only makes it HARDER for law abiding citizens to get them. This is why statistics show that crime is less where there is less gun control and vice versa. Anyone who can't see this as common sense has no common sense.

It's still harder for criminals, in general, to get guns in Europe than in the USA.

So you think walking between Germany and France is what I meant when I said they don't have open borders like we do?

Seriously?

Seeriously, that's what you thought I meant.

Explain who is Mexico in your clueless response, that's unbelievable.

You don't think having an open border between France and German is actually MORE OPEN than between the US and Mexico?

I mean, if you write stuff that's kind of vague, what do you think I have to go on? I'm not a fucking mind reader you know.

Well actually I have followed the Ukraine, and I've been to the Ukraine and I understood the Ukraine BEFORE the whole thing kicked off and I understand why the Ukraine happened and why it wouldn't happen anywhere else. But then, knowing stuff shouldn't get in the way of a bad argument, should it?

Swish.

I'm referring to Putin and the threat he is to his neignbors

LOL. I'm in the Netherlands right now. I'm working on a project and spend half my time here and half at home in the US.

They say their politicians all talk differently, but they don't do that much differently. And when they come to each election they keep promising the same things they promised in the last election without explaining why they never did it.

Sound familiar? Your trust in politicians is staggeringly naive

Politicians do talk differently. You might just not get it.

I didn't say I trusted in those politicians. Yes they use the same tricks, however it's not the tricks that are interesting. It's the fact that politicians actually look to real issues, whereas in the US it's generally issues that make sure people keep away from the real issues so the rich who control the govt can do what they like.

The US is controlled by political advertising. Europe has this so much less it's incredible.

You watch an election in Europe. It's short, sharp and generally full of politicians talking. In the US it's long, drawn out and full of adverts telling people what to think.

Seriously?

Seeriously, that's what you thought I meant.

Explain who is Mexico in your clueless response, that's unbelievable.

You don't think having an open border between France and German is actually MORE OPEN than between the US and Mexico?

I mean, if you write stuff that's kind of vague, what do you think I have to go on? I'm not a fucking mind reader you know.

Um...OK? You responded to me literally and completely whiffed on the actual point. The Schengen agreement is an agreement of developed countries. Al Qaeda can't fly to any of them with no border security. Columbian and Afghan drugs can't go to any of them without border security. Unlike our borders which have no security. Only the developed countries within the Schengen area can travel, they have security to the outside.

How do you not get that?

Again, who is Mexico in your response? Who can Al Qaeda fly to like Mexico City here where they can just walk across our border? Where do Al Qaeda fly to where their passport would never be checked like here?

Swish.

Putin has been a threat to poor countries with a sizable Russian population. The only countries at threat have been Georgia and the Ukraine because they meet these criteria.

Russia put up a nice thing of inviting ethnic Russians in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania a chance to go back to Mother Russia. Very, VERY few took up the offer because they know they're better off in the EU in these countries than in Russia. Putin doesn't have anything to go on.

Again, I understood the Ukraine issue long before Russia tried to take over. It doesn't surprise me that much that it happened. The Ukraine was a mess. When I last went it was as cheap as hell and now it's cheaper, the currency just kept dropping.

LOL. I'm in the Netherlands right now. I'm working on a project and spend half my time here and half at home in the US.

They say their politicians all talk differently, but they don't do that much differently. And when they come to each election they keep promising the same things they promised in the last election without explaining why they never did it.

Sound familiar? Your trust in politicians is staggeringly naive

Politicians do talk differently. You might just not get it.

I didn't say I trusted in those politicians. Yes they use the same tricks, however it's not the tricks that are interesting. It's the fact that politicians actually look to real issues, whereas in the US it's generally issues that make sure people keep away from the real issues so the rich who control the govt can do what they like.

The US is controlled by political advertising. Europe has this so much less it's incredible.

You watch an election in Europe. It's short, sharp and generally full of politicians talking. In the US it's long, drawn out and full of adverts telling people what to think.

You didn't read my post. I said politicians talk differently, they don't do anything differently. And European politicans care about the people and finding real solutions, got it. You are naive, wow

Swish.

Putin has been a threat to poor countries with a sizable Russian population. The only countries at threat have been Georgia and the Ukraine because they meet these criteria.

Russia put up a nice thing of inviting ethnic Russians in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania a chance to go back to Mother Russia. Very, VERY few took up the offer because they know they're better off in the EU in these countries than in Russia. Putin doesn't have anything to go on.

Again, I understood the Ukraine issue long before Russia tried to take over. It doesn't surprise me that much that it happened. The Ukraine was a mess. When I last went it was as cheap as hell and now it's cheaper, the currency just kept dropping.

the Russian economy is in the toilet too, which makes them a far greater threat. The Balkans BTW are very worried even if you aren't, they keep trying to tie themselves closer to NATO

Um...OK? You responded to me literally and completely whiffed on the actual point. The Schengen agreement is an agreement of developed countries. Al Qaeda can't fly to any of them with no border security. Columbian and Afghan drugs can't go to any of them without border security. Unlike our borders which have no security. Only the developed countries within the Schengen area can travel, they have security to the outside.

How do you not get that?

Again, who is Mexico in your response? Who can Al Qaeda fly to like Mexico City here where they can just walk across our border? Where do Al Qaeda fly to where their passport would never be checked like here?

Fine. Let's take the borders around EU countries. I've travelled a few times through the Balkans, they don't really have border fences. If you wanted to walk from one country to another, you'd not have many problems at all.

You may also have noticed there is a large coastline. People smuggling seems to be quite easy, can't be harder to get guns and things in, can it.

If you can walk across the US/Mexican border, then you can just walk across the Serbian/Croatian border.

I've never had problems, never had much in the way of checks down there. I've been to most countries around there without having bags searched or anything like that.

Swish.

the Russian economy is in the toilet too, which makes them a far greater threat. The Balkans BTW are very worried even if you aren't, they keep trying to tie themselves closer to NATO

It makes them a threat if you understand what Putin's doing. If you don't, then you might make wrong interpretations.

The Balkans? Why? Serbia is a good friend of Russia, and none of the Balkans sits next to Russia. I'm confused.

Swish.

It makes them a threat if you understand what Putin's doing. If you don't, then you might make wrong interpretations.

The Balkans? Why? Serbia is a good friend of Russia, and none of the Balkans sits next to Russia. I'm confused.

Sorry, meant the Baltics

I'm just wondering how long a so-called liberal could go without uttering the phrase "gun violence".

:iagree:
i own a few guns, went to many gun shows, shopped at many gun shops and in over 60 years of being around guns, i have never seen or owned a "VIOLENT GUN", i doubt anyone else here ever has either. :up:

and good teachers can open schools and can do it because the poor in their community can afford to pay them....instead of having to work in government schools controlled by the education wing of the democrat party who graduate students at a rate of 50%. vouchers are also wanted by inner city parents...who know just how crappy public schools are.

And how often do good teachers choose to stay in poor areas?

Do you have any evidence at all that what you're suggesting has happened in any way shape or form?

I have posted articles quoting European law enforcement saying that guns are easily acquired...it isn't me saying it. and Europe is still less violent, except Britain, they just don't choose to use guns in their crime......they easily get guns....Europe is awash in guns...

Yeah, European law enforcement saying European criminals are getting guns "easily".

So, where's the comparison with the US? What a European Law Enforcement person thinks is "easy" might a lot different to what a US Law Enforcement person thinks is "easy".

Are you catching the drift here? Making basic sentences and expecting people to just accept something when it doesn't make much sense isn't going to help you.

Europe is less violent except Britain.

Have you even been to Britain, because you write like all you know is what you read, and what you read is done by just simply accepting what you read without actually thinking that there might be issues you need to think about before you decide they are actually true or not.

Again, for the third or fourth time, violent crime statistic vary from country to country, it depends what is in those statistics, that will determine what number you get out at the end, it depends how they're counted, it also matters how willing people are to come forward and report such statistics.

Murder statistics are much easier to compare between countries. A dead body is a dead body. Okay, people die in different ways, it's not always murder or homicide or whatever, and sometimes it is and isn't counted so. However it's far more reliable than violent crimes statistics. Do you understand this? Are you going to carry on telling people stuff that simply isn't true?

Forum List

Back