Kid With Fake Gun Killed By Cops

Tank

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2009
A Northern California community is anguished over the fatal police shooting of a popular, 13-year-old boy who had been carrying a pellet gun that looked like an assault rifle.

Sonoma County sheriff's deputies had repeatedly asked the boy, Andy Lopez, to drop the weapon, but instead he raised it in their direction, police said at a news conference Wednesday.

Only after the shooting did deputies realize the gun was a replica that looked strikingly similar to a real AK-47 assault rifle.

Calif. Sheriff's Deputies Shoot, Kill 13-Year-Old - ABC News

Last edited:
He shouldn't have even been bothered in the first place. In a free society, the right to keep and bear arms would be respected. It would not confined to keeping guns locked in a vault in your home, only if they look a certain way, only after paying the government for a permission slip, and only after giving them details about everything you own. What citizens own, and the manner in which they carry it, is not the government’s business.

So how many wild animals, birds, pets, windows did this kid shoot with that pellet gun?
My kid wanted a BB gun when he was 13. I said no. He can do what he wants when he is of age (18) but not while under my roof will he ever have a weapon. I know kids. I know what they do because I was a kid once myself. I killed a bird when I was a kid...with a BB gun. Where were my parents? At work. They didn't know.
I put the BB gun back and cried all day because it seemed "fun" to aim at a bird and shoot it to see if I could actually hit it. I didn't think about the death of it.

So if this kid had a bowie knife, would that be ok? No? How about a razor knife? No? Box cutter in his back pocket? A gun that can kill or main something or someone?

Kids don't need weapons.

A Northern California community is anguished over the fatal police shooting of a popular, 13-year-old boy who had been carrying a pellet gun that looked like an assault rifle.

Sonoma County sheriff's deputies had repeatedly asked the boy, Andy Lopez, to drop the weapon, but instead he raised it in their direction, police said at a news conference Wednesday.

Only after the shooting did deputies realize the gun was a replica that looked strikingly similar to a real AK-47 assault rifle.

It looked lifelike, and from the distance, no one could tell it was fake. He didn't put the 'gun' down when asked, police acted.

Its sad, but the kid was ignorant and shouldn't have been acting like a dickhead.

It looked lifelike, and from the distance, no one could tell it was fake. He didn't put the 'gun' down when asked, police acted.

Its sad, but the kid was ignorant and shouldn't have been acting like a dickhead.

You're assuming the police account of the incident is truthful.

You buy your child a weapon like that and don't teach him how to handle it responsibly you are responsible for what happened to him

The cops did their job. Too bad the kids parents didn't teach him to respect and obey the law.

You're assuming the police account of the incident is truthful.

Until a new account emerges that's all anyone can go by.

The one making an assumption is you.

If you buy your kid a fake gun or a realistic looking pellet gun and send him out on the streets with it you are irresponsible

On the day after a kid shot up a school and the same day another kid murdered a teacher, you have your kid walking the streets with a pellet gun that looks like an AK-47

Ever hear of parental supervision?

Perhaps there should be a huge red line painted on BB guns to indicate they are not real. What a sad story.

You buy your child a weapon like that and don't teach him how to handle it responsibly you are responsible for what happened to him

It's hardly a weapon. And what evidence is there that his parents purchased it for him?

Hardly a weapon? We had a cop's kid in our neighborhood with a BB gun...when parents weren't home, he and a friend stood in their backyard and shot thru the cul-de-sac park at our daughter and a friend playing in our front yard. The kids ran in and told us and we FINALLY got a hold of the parents and told them what happened. The boy denied it and the father backed him....UNTIL we dug the BBs out of our stucco wall. We understand the father, in a fit of rage, smashed the BB gun on the floor in front of his son. Maybe we should have called the cops...........:eusa_eh:

It's not that the kid shouldn't have had it, it's that the parents should have excercised parental control. Lock the thing up and only allow the kid to play with it when one of the parents is present. As crazy as the world is today,you can't do any less. How was the cop supposed to know what's pointed at him is a bebe gun when there are 13 year olds with the real thing.

It's hardly a weapon. And what evidence is there that his parents purchased it for him?

Hardly a weapon? We had a cop's kid in our neighborhood with a BB gun...when parents weren't home, he and a friend stood in their backyard and shot thru the cul-de-sac park at our daughter and a friend playing in our front yard. The kids ran in and told us and we FINALLY got a hold of the parents and told them what happened. The boy denied it and the father backed him....UNTIL we dug the BBs out of our stucco wall. We understand the father, in a fit of rage, smashed the BB gun on the floor in front of his son. Maybe we should have called the cops...........:eusa_eh:

The story I read said it was a replica. Besides a BB gun isn't a firearm.

Tell me how many people has BB guns killed?

They should paint all replica guns pink, that way they can easily be identified and support breast cancer awareness month at the same time.

If you buy your kid a fake gun or a realistic looking pellet gun and send him out on the streets with it you are irresponsible

On the day after a kid shot up a school and the same day another kid murdered a teacher, you have your kid walking the streets with a pellet gun that looks like an AK-47

Ever hear of parental supervision?

Hey moron, the parent of this child did not buy him the replica gun. Now I know that it doesn't fit your preconceived notions but facts are a bitch, especially to you idiot libs.

From the article you apparently didn't read.

Andy's father, Rodrigo Lopez, told the newspaper that he last saw his son Tuesday morning. He also said the gun was a toy that belonged to a friend of his son's.

It's not that the kid shouldn't have had it, it's that the parents should have excercised parental control. Lock the thing up and only allow the kid to play with it when one of the parents is present. As crazy as the world is today,you can't do any less. How was the cop supposed to know what's pointed at him is a bebe gun when there are 13 year olds with the real thing.

Before you blame this kid's parents. READ the article!!!

Forum List

Back