Kiling live pigeons for sport.

Sports hunters often bring home trophies and eat the pigeons they shoot:

Pigeon Pie (heirloom)Take half a dozen pigeons; stuff each one with a dressing the same as for turkey; loosen the joints with a knife, but do not separate them. Put them in a stewpan with water enough to cover them, let them cook until nearly tender, then season them with salt and pepper and butter. Thicken the gravy with flour, remove and cool. Butter a pudding dish, line the sides with a rich crust. Have ready some hard-boiled eggs cut in slices. Put in a layer of egg and birds and gravy until the dish is full. Cover with a crust and bake.

Another:

[FONT=verdana, arial]Pichones Con Guisantes (pigeon with Peas)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]2 ea Pigeons; cleaned[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]1 Onion; finely chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]1 lb Peas; shelled[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]1 tb Mint leaves[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]2 tb Olive oil; (2-3 tb)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]1/4 pt White wine[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]1/2 c Water[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]Cut the pigeon into quarters and season with salt. Heat olive oil in a saucepan and fry pigeon quarters until golden. Sprinkle with wine, leave to simmer for 2-3 minutes and remove. Fry the onion in the same oil. As soon as it begins to colour, add water and mint leaves. Bring to the boil, season with a little salt, put in the peas and the pigeons, add a little more water if necessary and cook gently until the peas are ready.[/FONT]

Roast Pigeon and Goose Liver on Truffle Potatoes3 Squab pigeons
3 40 g; (1 1/2oz) slices fresh goose liver
90 g Frozen broad beans; (3oz)
400 ml Jus; (15fl oz)
4 tb Truffle oil; (50ml)
20 g Black truffles; (3/4oz)
450 g Potatoes; (1lb)
Roast the squab pigeon. Cook the potatoes in their skins. Cook the broad beans and skin. Peel the potatoes and crush with oil and truffle. Section the pigeon and dress dish.

Pigeons have dark meat and low fat. Additionally, pigeons may be trained and used as communications agents in a pinch. They're also off the grid.

I wish freedombecki was a pigeon, I wish freedombecki was a pigeon.:evil:
You're the one who said it was a sport. Good sports make the most of their wins by taking them home for mama to cook.

Back in Colonial days, many people would have starved to death in winter if it weren't for small game like pigeons to shoot and eat in bad years if crops failed.

What the commentator didn't say is that South Carolina was the 9th states to sign up and sent many sons into the Revolution to earn their freedom. That tradition likely started long before we became a nation, and pigeons may have saved the lives of people in that county in one poor growing season or another. People were subjected to years of such bad weather crops could fail two or three years in a row due to hurricanes, droughts, and all things Mother Nature had up her sleeve to reduce populations to only the fittest. Back then, humans had no exemption from the fury of nature, except possibly the trying times of war. Except for their determination to survive. Something tells me their tradition of shooting pigeons likely is associated with survival through one of those times by way of pigeon. Most people still are not vegans. If we were, this planet would truly be in trouble. Animals provide fertilizer that enriches soil and prevents erosion to bedrock. They found that out by expanding the Sarhara when they killed off all the wild beasts to grow plants, and after a couple of decades, the desert crept in and the creeks dried up, pushing the desert by leaps and bounds further south into Africa. It wasn't until someone noticed that the herdsmen's land didn't dry up that they realized the error of demanding plants for vegans by destroying the local hooved beasts that was causing the great drought. Now, savvy ecologists are reintroducing livestock into drought areas and finding nature restoring itself back to a greener ecosystem where desert winds howled in decades of crop management failure. You must have animals to make the land right, whether they are wild stock or livestock. They enrich the soil to make our planet able to use the land for growing, and rainfall follows areas where animals live, too. There is a reason the Bible rewards animal people and disses vegans. It has to do with life on this planet, and the acceptance of that. Converting lands to vegetable use only results in deserted land when it fails after just a very few years. The land requires balance, and it also requires wise stewardship when humans live in it.

People ignore what is written in ancient times because then, people relied on accurate word of mouth before print. Print in addition to doing good also allows stupidity to bring unproven, untested ideas to the forefront, ideas which have played havoc in years past, yet are faithfully recorded in the good book. Balance in nature seems gently recommended in the Book of Genesis when it should say, "Yo, ye dummies! Pay attention!" Oh, wait. It saves that for the Proverbs. :lmao:

/lectio divinia

First, I didn't see douche ever quote the law that was being broken.

Second, I didn't see where it was claimed that the pigeons weren't consumed...pigeon is good eatin'.

This story made me sick. It seems some folks in SC are shooting live pigeons instead of skeets.

The "cop whores" are protecting them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDvg1JeHjLw

Hell yes pussy face! I shoot all the barn pigeons I can. They crap all over our farm, equipment, you name it they are nothing but free loading crappers with wings. Don't like it well then F*** yourself some more. Ever been to the big city? well take a look at the parks and buildings, pigeon crap everywhere. I had the opportunity to meet a hawk trainer that is paid major bucks to turn his hawks loose on those sweet little winged crappers at resorts and hotels in Las Angeles. Dam ,nothing left but a pile of feathers floating to the ground after one of his hawks hit them in the air. Don't like hunting, then stay in your filthy city, eat your veggies and smoke some more hemp. Oh by the way these are not wild but domesticated pigeons living in the wild, like those dogs and cats city pukes get tired of and dump in the country.

When are we going to start prosecuting the Santeria for animal sacrifice? Put a few in jail for a couple of years.

This story made me sick. It seems some folks in SC are shooting live pigeons instead of skeets.

Hell yes pussy face! I shoot all the barn pigeons I can. They crap all over our farm, equipment, you name it they are nothing but free loading crappers with wings. Don't like it well then F*** yourself some more. Ever been to the big city? well take a look at the parks and buildings, pigeon crap everywhere. I had the opportunity to meet a hawk trainer that is paid major bucks to turn his hawks loose on those sweet little winged crappers at resorts and hotels in Las Angeles. Dam ,nothing left but a pile of feathers floating to the ground after one of his hawks hit them in the air. Don't like hunting, then stay in your filthy city, eat your veggies and smoke some more hemp. Oh by the way these are not wild but domesticated pigeons living in the wild, like those dogs and cats city pukes get tired of and dump in the country.
Pussy face?:eek:
I have never been so humiliated in my life.:redface:

True story :)

Growing up on the Farm in Iowa (I know, I know, but its true) we would wait until just before dusk....the pidgeons would fly into the barn for the night.....we would close all of the doors and then throw corn cobs at them and knock them from the air...it made us very good ball players.

Growing up on the Farm in Iowa (I know, I know, but its true) we would wait until just before dusk....the pidgeons would fly into the barn for the night.....we would close all of the doors and then throw corn cobs at them and knock them from the air...it made us very good ball players.

I hear the people in Iowa are good corn haulers too.:razz:

I hear the people in Iowa are good corn haulers too.:razz:

We were good...if you can knock ANY bird out of the air with a corn cob you were a capable athlete.

But I digress....

I am still thinking of picking bird shot from your rear.

:(You people are going to hell!:evil:
The commentator invented a story. Then he took pictures to go along with his story. His story was about (1) authority hatred (2) vegetarianism good (it isn't) (3) hatred of the second amendment, and (4) hatred of people in a specific county in South Carolina. He fashioned it around killing helpless animals and a tradition he mayn't understand since it likely was about survival at a point in history so long ago it is dissed as hearsay or - heaven forbid - word of mouth.

The only problem was I didn't buy his farce devoid of the other side of the story.

I do not believe that the country people of South Carolina are all bad people. I am simply not buying the farm that guy paints. He omitted too many details.

The commentator invented a story. Then he took pictures to go along with his story. His story was about (1) authority hatred (2) vegetarianism good (it isn't) (3) hatred of the second amendment, and (4) hatred of people in a specific county in South Carolina. He fashioned it around killing helpless animals and a tradition he mayn't understand since it likely was about survival at a point in history so long ago it is dissed as hearsay or - heaven forbid - word of mouth.

The only problem was I didn't buy his farce devoid of the other side of the story.

I do not believe that the country people of South Carolina are all bad people. I am simply not buying the farm that guy paints. He omitted too many details.

What? The circle jerks the hunters did when they were through with the slaughter.

50 bucks says he's a damned Yankee.

Certainly no Carolina accent present.

You know the difference between a Yankee and a damned Yankee.

A Yankee eventually goes home. :D

Hell, we sit by the entrance to the barn and grain bins, crack open a beer, and pop em. Once you thin them out, more arrive. How they can find us in the middle of nowhere is amazing, but they do. We used to use Owl decoys to scare them off, heck they would learn it never moved and perch and crap on top of the dam thing.

Forum List

Back