Krugman opinion: "Yes, he could"

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/16/o...e-and-climate-president-obamas-big-deals.html

You should judge leaders by their achievements, not their press, and in terms of policy substance Mr. Obama is having a seriously good year. In fact, there’s a very good chance that 2014 will go down in the record books as one of those years when America took a major turn in the right direction.

First, health reform is now a reality — and despite a shambolic start, it’s looking like a big success story. Remember how nobody was going to sign up? First-year enrollments came in above projections. Remember how people who signed up weren’t actually going to pay their premiums? The vast majority have.

We don’t yet have a full picture of the impact of reform on the previously uninsured, but all the information we do have indicates major progress. Surveys, like the monthly survey by Gallup, show a sharp drop in the percentage of Americans reporting themselves as uninsured. States that expanded Medicaid and actively promoted the new exchanges have done especially well — for example, a new survey of Minnesota shows a 40 percent drop in the number of uninsured residents....

....Then there’s climate policy. The Obama administration’s new rules on power plants won’t be enough in themselves to save the planet, but they’re a real start — and are by far the most important environmental initiative since the Clean Air Act. I’d add that this is an issue on which Mr. Obama is showing some real passion.

Oh, and financial reform, although it’s much weaker than it should have been, is real — just ask all those Wall Street types who, enraged by the new limits on their wheeling and dealing, have turned their backs on the Democrats.

Put it all together, and Mr. Obama is looking like a very consequential president indeed. There were huge missed opportunities early in his administration — inadequate stimulus, the failure to offer significant relief to distressed homeowners. Also, he wasted years in pursuit of a Grand Bargain on the budget that, aside from turning out to be impossible, would have moved America in the wrong direction. But in his second term he is making good on the promise of real change for the better. So why all the bad press?

Part of the answer may be Mr. Obama’s relatively low approval rating. But this mainly reflects political polarization — strong approval from Democrats but universal opposition from Republicans — which is more a sign of the times than a problem with the president. Anyway, you’re supposed to judge presidents by what they do, not by fickle public opinion...

:thup:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I suspect that history is going to smile upon this president, when all is said and done.

Now, feel free to discuss. I suspect that some of you will probably scream. Carry on.

:D

Yeah... One hast to wonder why not the full implementation of Obamacare as written?...I mean, if it's so great, the dems should surly take over the house and gain seats in the senate:dunno: Obama is very consequential i his attempts to transform Americas although "consequential" isn't always a good is it?

Last edited:
Ya know, it's misleading crap like that that makes lefties the laughing stock of this board.
The UE rate under Bush at his worst day was better than the entire first term of Obama's presidency. Take out the last year and Bush's economy looked pretty good.
ANd that's just one craptastic lie you've told. The rest of the post similarly.
Obama has delivered the worst recovery post war in history. That is simply fact.

Got it, You'll go for the false economy Bush put up as 'p[roof' of his 'good economy'. Weird, even stopping pre recession,weakest period post WW 2? LOL

WORST RECOVERY? OH RIGHT, FROM THE BUSH/GOP GREAT RECESSION :mad:

Actually it was the Bush recession and the Obama Depression. Just like FDR, Obama inherited a bad situation and immediately went about making it 10 times worse.
WHich one had the lower average unemployment rate?
Which one had a higher workforce participation rate?

I realize I am arguing with a total moron to whom figures mean nothing. But maybe you'll get the idea that your knowledge base on this forum is substandard.

I get it, don't look at the economy dumping 9%+ the last quarter of Bush and shredding 700,000+ jobs a month, just SAY Obama didn't fix the Bush/GOP recession fast enough or good enough

HOW MANY JOBS DID THOSE 'JOB CREATOR' POLICIES BUSH HAD FOR 8 YEARS WORK? LOL

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/16/o...e-and-climate-president-obamas-big-deals.html

You should judge leaders by their achievements, not their press, and in terms of policy substance Mr. Obama is having a seriously good year. In fact, there’s a very good chance that 2014 will go down in the record books as one of those years when America took a major turn in the right direction.

First, health reform is now a reality — and despite a shambolic start, it’s looking like a big success story. Remember how nobody was going to sign up? First-year enrollments came in above projections. Remember how people who signed up weren’t actually going to pay their premiums? The vast majority have.

We don’t yet have a full picture of the impact of reform on the previously uninsured, but all the information we do have indicates major progress. Surveys, like the monthly survey by Gallup, show a sharp drop in the percentage of Americans reporting themselves as uninsured. States that expanded Medicaid and actively promoted the new exchanges have done especially well — for example, a new survey of Minnesota shows a 40 percent drop in the number of uninsured residents....

....Then there’s climate policy. The Obama administration’s new rules on power plants won’t be enough in themselves to save the planet, but they’re a real start — and are by far the most important environmental initiative since the Clean Air Act. I’d add that this is an issue on which Mr. Obama is showing some real passion.

Oh, and financial reform, although it’s much weaker than it should have been, is real — just ask all those Wall Street types who, enraged by the new limits on their wheeling and dealing, have turned their backs on the Democrats.

Put it all together, and Mr. Obama is looking like a very consequential president indeed. There were huge missed opportunities early in his administration — inadequate stimulus, the failure to offer significant relief to distressed homeowners. Also, he wasted years in pursuit of a Grand Bargain on the budget that, aside from turning out to be impossible, would have moved America in the wrong direction. But in his second term he is making good on the promise of real change for the better. So why all the bad press?

Part of the answer may be Mr. Obama’s relatively low approval rating. But this mainly reflects political polarization — strong approval from Democrats but universal opposition from Republicans — which is more a sign of the times than a problem with the president. Anyway, you’re supposed to judge presidents by what they do, not by fickle public opinion...

I suspect that history is going to smile upon this president, when all is said and done.

Now, feel free to discuss. I suspect that some of you will probably scream. Carry on.

Yeah... One hast to wonder why not the full implementation of Obamacare as written?...I mean, if it's so great, the dems should surly take over the house and gain seats in the senate:dunno: Obama is very consequential i his attempts to transform Americas although "consequential" isn't always a good is it?

GOP GERRYMANDERRING

GOP Memo: Gerrymandering Won Us The House Majority

THE US STILL IN TWO UNFUNDED WARS? How about losing 700,000+ jobs a month?

LOL

Its tough to have war & recession, but somehow Bush II managed. :D

Yes, managed to get US into two of BOTH, UNFUNDED of course, one on false premises

Hmm. who passes legislation funding such things? Yeah, the president? Nope, don't think so.

Who asks for FUNDING OF SUCH THINGS?

Never in the history of this country have we started a war, let alone two wars and cut taxes. Until......................

GOP GERRYMANDERRING

LOL

What does that haft to do with my question?:confused:

GOP GERRYMANDERRING

LOL

Don't understand how legislation, over 1/7th of the US economy is ran huh? It's called EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE and OVERSIGHT responsibility. Liker how Bush had oversight responsibility of the Banksters as he cheered them on in the ponzi scheme, or how Bush forced Fannie/Freddie to buy $434 BILLION in MBS's to meet his 'goals' 2002-2007

Check it out sometime, rules are OFTEN changed by the guys with OVERSIGHT

Last edited:
Got it, You'll go for the false economy Bush put up as 'p[roof' of his 'good economy'. Weird, even stopping pre recession,weakest period post WW 2? LOL

WORST RECOVERY? OH RIGHT, FROM THE BUSH/GOP GREAT RECESSION :mad:

Actually it was the Bush recession and the Obama Depression. Just like FDR, Obama inherited a bad situation and immediately went about making it 10 times worse.

I realize I am arguing with a total moron to whom figures mean nothing. But maybe you'll get the idea that your knowledge base on this forum is substandard.

I get it, don't look at the economy dumping 9%+ the last quarter of Bush and shredding 700,000+ jobs a month, just SAY Obama didn't fix the Bush/GOP recession fast enough or good enough

Actually a lot more than Obama has produced. The number of people working when Bush left office was about what it iis now, after 5 years of enormous deficits. And we didnt owe $17T either.

You're really worthless at this, arent' you? It's what happens when you let Daily Kos and that ugly dyke become your main sources of "news."

GOP GERRYMANDERRING

LOL

Don't understand how legislation, over 1/7th of the US economy is ran huh? It's called EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE and OVERSIGHT responsibility. Liker how Bush had oversight responsibility of the Banksters as he cheered them on in the ponzi scheme, or how Bush forced Fannie/Freddie to buy $434 BILLION in MBS's to meet his 'goals' 2002-2007

Executive privilege allows Obama to run 1/7th of the economy, which includes gerrymandering districts?
You're not just uninformed. You're fucking whacko. We know what to do with fucking whackos.

Actually a lot more than Obama has produced. The number of people working when Bush left office was about what it iis now, after 5 years of enormous deficits. And we didnt owe $17T either.

You're really worthless at this, arent' you? It's what happens when you let Daily Kos and that ugly dyke become your main sources of "news."

Got it, after EIGHT YEARS OF 'JOB CREATOR' POLICVIES, Bush lost 673,000+ PRIVATE sector jobs, NOT counting the 4+ million lost in 2009 BECAUSE of his policies

Obama has a NET of 5+ million PRIVATE sector jobs since Jan 2009... But it's Obama policies that failed? lol

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

$17 trillion in debt? Oh right in conservative world policy costs stop the day the GOPer leaves office

Economic Downturn and Bush Policies Continue to Drive Large Projected Deficits

Just two policies dating from the Bush Administration — tax cuts and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan — accounted for over $500 billion of the deficit in 2009 and will account for nearly $6 trillion in deficits in 2009 through 2019 (including associated debt-service costs of $1.4 trillion). By 2019, we estimate that these two policies will account for almost half — over $8 trillion — of the $17 trillion in debt that will be owed under current policies

CBO NUMBERS SOURCED AT THE BOTTOM

Economic Downturn and Legacy of Bush Policies Continue to Drive Large Deficits ? Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Executive privilege allows Obama to run 1/7th of the economy, which includes gerrymandering districts?
You're not just uninformed. You're fucking whacko. We know what to do with fucking whackos.

Got it, you can't use critical thinking abilities. You must be a conservative

Of course anything complimentary to Obama was written by a "Hack". How disrespectful of people who have actually accomplished something in their lives.

What have you done, Meathead? I mean besides getting on here and running your mouth with wingnutty talking points?
Are you saying Krugman is not a hack?! Seriously?
J
Whatever I've done, I've little doubt that it trumps you or the OP. Post-graduate degree, good job and raising a very good kid, all without affirmative action or entitlements.

Things I'm sure you could not even dream of.

Just goes to show, education doesn't necessarily equate to being intelligent.

And I do have a post grad degree, raised two children that also got graduate degrees, have a good job and all while caring for a disbled spouse.

So, basically, all you've shown is that you have a big ego.

Obamacare is a disaster.

Are there really silver plans with 25,000 deductible. I read that but I still can't believe it.

There are still a bunch of people uninsured. And premiums are going up faster. And when the employer mandate hits......Obama will get the royal flush. Or else you really believe that he delayed implementation beyond the elections for some other reason than the elections. If so, I've got some beachfront property in Kansas to sell you.

And his rules on power plants will soon go away.

He's a turd and Krugman is just as much a turd.

Unemployment rate in Ohio dropped to 5.5%. The economy is starting to boom. The US is at the very beginning of an extremely long economic growth cycle. As our younger generations start having their own families, something they have delayed for a while, we are going to see a massive boom in the economy. This is very bad news for conservatives.

That's not critical thinking, dumbass.

You should be able to provide backup for your claim Nobody has to reason their way to the powers granted under the constitution. Madison states quite clearly that they are defined.

Unemployment rate in Ohio dropped to 5.5%. The economy is starting to boom. The US is at the very beginning of an extremely long economic growth cycle. As our younger generations start having their own families, something they have delayed for a while, we are going to see a massive boom in the economy. This is very bad news for conservatives.

Things are just rolling. :cuckoo::cuckoo:

Oh, and I still can't keep my health care plan even though I like it....nor my doctor.

You bet...things are just flying along.

Last edited:
Obamacare is a disaster.

Are there really silver plans with 25,000 deductible. I read that but I still can't believe it.

There are still a bunch of people uninsured. And premiums are going up faster. And when the employer mandate hits......Obama will get the royal flush. Or else you really believe that he delayed implementation beyond the elections for some other reason than the elections. If so, I've got some beachfront property in Kansas to sell you.

And his rules on power plants will soon go away.

He's a turd and Krugman is just as much a turd.

Yeah, the reason you find it hard to believe is because it's probably bullshit. There are plans where the OUT OF NETWORK FAMILY deeductable is $25,000. Cigna has one. That isn't surprising. You always go in network. In network is from $0 to $4,000.

I found a site that lists an individual plan at $26 a month with a $25000 deduct but it actually has "Obamacare" in the menu so that is bullshit. It isn't really called "Obamacare". It is the PPACA, Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. And no real insurance company calls is "Obamacare".

The other clue is that we have a somewhat competative free market. Every company charges about the same. If they didn't no one wouldbuy it. And plans simply aren't pricing at in network deductables of $25000 for silver plans. If Cigna it at $4000 in network silver family plan, then so is everyone else.

Now can you tell where the bullshit part of what you read is?

That's not critical thinking, dumbass.

You should be able to provide backup for your claim Nobody has to reason their way to the powers granted under the constitution. Madison states quite clearly that they are defined.

Got it, you are willfully ignorant.

Congress Passes Socialized Medicine and Mandates Health Insurance -In 1798

Congress Passes Socialized Medicine and Mandates Health Insurance -In 1798 - Forbes

Madison? Please tell me you aren't talking the ADVERTISEMENT (PROPAGANDA) the US Founders used to sell the US Constitution and to stop it?

The unemployment number doesn't mean much when the new jobs are lower paying,and part time. Massive growth in the economy would be a good thing, but Obama is keeping that from happening, because he wont expand our energy production, and he's stifling manufacturing in this country, driving it overseas with stupid new regulations, raising the cost of electricity, healthcare, fuel etc.. He's also keeping companies from bringing that money back the U.S. by taxing it hard when they do:cuckoo:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back