LA Teachers Strike: $73K Is Not Enough

In LA it probably isn't. I make way more than that and if we moved to LA we'd definitely struggle given the cost of living.
depends on were you live.....the wealthy coastal areas and some inland areas it may just be getting by....but anywhere else you would be living fairly good.......
Average salary in LA is $62k. That puts teachers in the upper end and only work a fraction of the time what everyone else must work. And then huge pensions, and impossible to fire for doing a crappy job.
62 k is shit if you live in a area were the avg income is 75 k +
Learn to read.
you learn to read....62k is not "upper end" in many parts of the state....
Over $100,000 is considered poverty level in some parts of the Bay Area.
HUD: $117,000 Now ‘Low-Income’ In 3 Bay Area Counties

I guess in fly over country, $73 thousand could be considered a lot of money.

But in a modern, advanced region it’s really not.

For working 180 days?

Who gave you the stupid idea that teachers work 180 days?

Students go for 180 days. I just Did the math

So you think there teachers only work when the students are there?
How is it a teacher can call in sick every Monday for over a decade and cannot be fired?

Dismantling the Myths About Teachers and Public Education - NEA Today

You need to get to an AA meeting as soon as possible. Drinking this early on a Saturday morning in unacceptable.

There is no way you should have missed the post to which I responded. Now, go somewhere and sober up, and stop drunk-posting!

For working 180 days?

How is it a teacher can call in sick every Monday for over a decade and cannot be fired?

Dismantling the Myths About Teachers and Public Education - NEA Today
When 300 qualified teachers apply for one opening, the compensation is too high.

Inability to fire a teacher for poor performance is a problem, not a feature.

For working 180 days?

Why else would they work?

You need to get to an AA meeting as soon as possible. Drinking this early on a Saturday morning in unacceptable.

There is no way you should have missed the post to which I responded. Now, go somewhere and sober up, and stop drunk-posting!
Tenured teachers cannot be fired for performance.

You want to keep dodging the key issues, idiot me thought you were finally willing to answer my questions.

depends on were you live.....the wealthy coastal areas and some inland areas it may just be getting by....but anywhere else you would be living fairly good.......
Average salary in LA is $62k. That puts teachers in the upper end and only work a fraction of the time what everyone else must work. And then huge pensions, and impossible to fire for doing a crappy job.
62 k is shit if you live in a area were the avg income is 75 k +
Learn to read.
you learn to read....62k is not "upper end" in many parts of the state....
Over $100,000 is considered poverty level in some parts of the Bay Area.
HUD: $117,000 Now ‘Low-Income’ In 3 Bay Area Counties
Leftists like to keep the Serfs out of the neighborhood.

For working 180 days?

I would say you need to drag your ass to a school and get yourself educated on what teachers do. Apparently, you have not darkened a school doorway since they threw you out in middle school for being too old. That is the only plausible reason for your ignorance.

You want to keep dodging the key issues, idiot me thought you were finally willing to answer my questions.

Oh, will you please stop with the stupidity!

Tenured teachers cannot be fired without due process!

My God, the fucking stupid is strong with you! You don't even know what tenure is, so shut up!

You claimed that a teacher called in sick Monday every day for a decade and did not get fired. I responded and then you deflected back to something else! You can't even carry on a conversation, so you must be drunk!

Oh, will you please stop with the stupidity!

Tenured teachers cannot be fired without due process!

My God, the fucking stupid is strong with you! You don't even know what tenure is, so shut up!

You claimed that a teacher called in sick Monday every day for a decade and did not get fired. I responded and then you deflected back to something else! You can't even carry on a conversation, so you must be drunk!
81% under 45 would fail the basic US citizenship test, LAUSD drops their competency test to graduate, no teachers ever get fired for poor performance, teacher compensation is well above the average for the private sector and you defend public education.

No wonder you’ve gone into personal attack mode.

Another glorious thing with public schools is how they budget. If they budget $5M for a new cafeteria and it turns out new books are needed for students but nothing was budgeted, they can’t touch that $5M to buy the books.

For working 180 days?

I would say you need to drag your ass to a school and get yourself educated on what teachers do. Apparently, you have not darkened a school doorway since they threw you out in middle school for being too old. That is the only plausible reason for your ignorance.

Yeah. Discussion over. You're just an evil bitter old man with dementia.

You have to understand how corrupt the salary pyramid is in these school systems. Tier 1 teachers with the most seniority VAMPIRE SUCK up all the money leaving table scraps for new teachers.

It gets better:

Let’s begin with the makeup of the school district: It boasts a $7.52 billion budget and more than 60,000 employees, including about 26,000 teachers, with the average annual salary being $73,000. While employment has gone up 16% since 2004, enrollment has dropped 10% in the same period.

According to the latest available data, California school funding surged by nearly 10% from 2015 to 2016. If you examine a five-year period (2011 to 2016), school funding in the state is up a whopping 26%. Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA) has further proposed the “largest ever investment” in the LAUSD.

Plus, the district already offered LAUSD educators a pay raise of 3% this year and another 3% in 2020. It was rejected.

But the school district can’t afford another pay hike. Next year, LAUSD will have a $422 million budget deficit, mainly because employee pension and health care costs represent a great portion of the budget – they will account for more than half within 10 years. Overall, it has $5.1 billion more in liabilities than in assets and another $15 billion in unfunded health care benefit liabilities for retirees and current workers.

LA Teachers Strike: 73K Is Not Enough.

So if you want to know why teachers can’t get a pay raise, it’s because of teachers.

Maybe the unions should elect different politicians.

It gets better:

Let’s begin with the makeup of the school district: It boasts a $7.52 billion budget and more than 60,000 employees, including about 26,000 teachers, with the average annual salary being $73,000. While employment has gone up 16% since 2004, enrollment has dropped 10% in the same period.

According to the latest available data, California school funding surged by nearly 10% from 2015 to 2016. If you examine a five-year period (2011 to 2016), school funding in the state is up a whopping 26%. Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA) has further proposed the “largest ever investment” in the LAUSD.

Plus, the district already offered LAUSD educators a pay raise of 3% this year and another 3% in 2020. It was rejected.

But the school district can’t afford another pay hike. Next year, LAUSD will have a $422 million budget deficit, mainly because employee pension and health care costs represent a great portion of the budget – they will account for more than half within 10 years. Overall, it has $5.1 billion more in liabilities than in assets and another $15 billion in unfunded health care benefit liabilities for retirees and current workers.

LA Teachers Strike: 73K Is Not Enough.

So if you want to know why teachers can’t get a pay raise, it’s because of teachers.

Maybe the unions should elect different politicians.
That's the funniest part about the strike. The unions got everyone they wanted into office. Los Angeles is the blue of blue cities.

Yeah. Discussion over. You're just an evil bitter old man with dementia.

You are stupid about education and somehow it is my fault?

Got it!

You have to understand how corrupt the salary pyramid is in these school systems. Tier 1 teachers with the most seniority VAMPIRE SUCK up all the money leaving table scraps for new teachers.
Yep. No one in the private sector even gets close to the retirement packages of teachers.

Retirement?

Teachers in my state get back the money THEY are required set aside to retire and are thus banned from collecting social security!

More ignorance spewed by the collectors of ignorance.

Yep. No one in the private sector even gets close to the retirement packages of teachers.

Did you know that one powerful teachers union forced taxpayers to guarantee a minimum 8% profit on their retirement fund stock market investments? And if they didn't earn at least 8% a year playing the stock market that taxpayers had to make up the difference? THAT'S how corrupt it is.

Forum List

Back