LA Teachers Strike: $73K Is Not Enough

You have to understand how corrupt the salary pyramid is in these school systems. Tier 1 teachers with the most seniority VAMPIRE SUCK up all the money leaving table scraps for new teachers.
Yep. No one in the private sector even gets close to the retirement packages of teachers.

Retirement?

Teachers in my state get back the money THEY are required set aside to retire and are thus banned from collecting social security!

More ignorance spewed by the collectors of ignorance.

That sounds similar to the railroad workers retirement, but I never heard of a state or local teachers retirement plan where people could not also draw social security retirement.

Who gave you the stupid idea that teachers work 180 days?

Students go for 180 days. I just Did the math

So you think there teachers only work when the students are there?
How is it a teacher can call in sick every Monday for over a decade and cannot be fired?

Dismantling the Myths About Teachers and Public Education - NEA Today
When 300 qualified teachers apply for one opening, the compensation is too high.

Inability to fire a teacher for poor performance is a problem, not a feature.

On average, every corporate job opening attracts 250 resumes

The compensation is not too high. It is a myth that you can't fire a teacher.

The median wage earned in the US does not have the education or experience these teachers have. You also failed to account for the higher cost of living in LA.
Education is the worst it’s ever been in US history.

Based on...?
Graduate knowledge and graduation rates. LA district even dropped its High School graduation tests and still gets only 70% to graduate.

Relative to population size? Factoring participation rates?

Got a link to all this?
Look up LA school district graduation rates and educate yourself.

Link?

You have to understand how corrupt the salary pyramid is in these school systems. Tier 1 teachers with the most seniority VAMPIRE SUCK up all the money leaving table scraps for new teachers.
Yep. No one in the private sector even gets close to the retirement packages of teachers.

Retirement?

Teachers in my state get back the money THEY are required set aside to retire and are thus banned from collecting social security!

That sounds similar to the railroad workers retirement, but I never heard of a state or local teachers retirement plan where people could not also draw social security retirement.

Thank you for admitting you don't know the truth. It is very refreshing!

Teachers with a separate retirement system in many states do not have Social Security taxes deducted from their paychecks and are ineligible to receive benefits upon reaching retirement age. The state took nearly $600 a month from my paycheck and then would ban me from SS.

Fortunately, I received enough credit for SS from the Navy and teaching in another state to allow me to get my SS when I am eligible, but they still reduce my SS because of my state retirement. Other people who stayed in the state all of their careers get NOTHING from SS.

How is it a teacher can call in sick every Monday for over a decade and cannot be fired?

When 300 qualified teachers apply for one opening, the compensation is too high.

I said QUALIFIED applicants.

I did hiring for decades, HR was always taking out the resumes of 18 year old taco bell employees applying for a senior electrical engineers job.

Education is the worst it’s ever been in US history.

Based on...?
Graduate knowledge and graduation rates. LA district even dropped its High School graduation tests and still gets only 70% to graduate.

Got a link to all this?

Link?
LAUSD graduation rates rise after exit exam is eliminated

They eliminated testing to graduate and STILL 26% did not graduate.

You may kiss my ass now.

I said QUALIFIED applicants.

I did hiring for decades, HR was always taking out the resumes of 18 year old taco bell employees applying for a senior electrical engineers job.

How do you know they were qualified?

Based on...?

Got a link to all this?

Link?
LAUSD graduation rates rise after exit exam is eliminated

They eliminated testing to graduate and STILL 30% did not graduate.

You may kiss my ass now.

Please explain why this is the teacher's fault.

Retirement?

Thank you for admitting you don't know the truth.

Teachers with a separate retirement system in many states do not have Social Security taxes deducted from their paychecks and are ineligible to receive benefits upon reaching retirement age. They took nearly $600 a month from my paycheck and then would ban me from SS.

Fortunately, I received enough credit for SS from the Navy and teaching in another state to allow me to get my SS when I am eligible, but they still reduce my SS because of my state retirement. Other people who stayed in the state all of their careers get NOTHING from SS.

Word of caution. The railroad retirement plan is a healthy well run plan with more than enough cash to pay benefits. Naturally that asshole Paul Ryan proposed taking all the money from the railroad retirement plan and spending it, and forcing the railroad workers into Social Security.

Why else would they work?

I would say you need to drag your ass to a school and get yourself educated on what teachers do. Apparently, you have not darkened a school doorway since they threw you out in middle school for being too old. That is the only plausible reason for your ignorance.

Yeah. Discussion over. You're just an evil bitter old man with dementia.

You are stupid about education and somehow it is my fault?

Got it!

I know what I see. If I am incorrect explain how. I have two kids in school now. I see what I see. Instead you insult me. Some teacher you were. I can See you in class. A student asks for help with a subject and you dismiss him while calling him an idiot. Thank you for your service but you are being an evil troll here.

Retirement?

Teachers get back MUCH more than they ever contributed into the system.

Just as with almost all Americans, my retirement is only what I said aside. ONLY.

Retirement?

Just as with almost all Americans, my retirement is only what I said aside. ONLY.

So why didn't you become a teacher? Couldn't handle the poor pay and bad working conditions, eh?

My retirement from my current company? Zero. No education requirement above a GED. I have more education that anyone else in the company.

My wife's retirement from her current company? Zero. No education requirement above a GED. My wife has a BA.

It's very difficult to fire a union teacher. They pretty much have to be guilty of child abuse or murder. There are many teachers just showing up and not working because of bad behavior and still getting paid; can't fire them and can't allow them to do their job. Very corrupt system that's bilking taxpayers of millions.

Retirement?

So why didn't you become a teacher? Couldn't handle the poor pay and bad working conditions, eh?
I wish my job was day shift, numerous paid holidays, and all summer off. Doesn't sound bad to me.

I guess in fly over country, $73 thousand could be considered a lot of money.

But in a modern, advanced region it’s really not.
upload_2019-1-19_12-10-3.png

Retirement?

Because the system ties hands of teachers. I have too much A personality to tolerate BS.

Retirement?

Because the system ties hands of teachers. I have too much A personality to tolerate BS.

So, you bedrugde them decent pay because you couldn't handle the job? Thanks for the honesty!

Retirement?

So, you bedrugde them decent pay because you couldn't handle the job? Thanks for the honesty!
If we had teachers who fought the BS so they could teach, education would be as good as it was 50 years ago. Today we just have wet noodles out for paychecks. I chose to fight other battles, not be surrounded by incompetence.

I am not an engineer, I have never been an engineer, I will never be an engineer, nor would I have any hope of being successful at it if I were one. I will admit to admiring engineers for what they are able to do. I don't understand how they do it, but it's amazing. But then, I'm not a know-it-all. I don't present myself as someone who has vast knowledge about something I've never been a part of. Weatherman, on the other hand, seems to have vast knowledge of teachers. He claims to understand to motivation of all teachers. Although he's not a teacher, he claims to know how easy the job is. If there is a bad teacher, he believes that means all teachers are bad. If a kid has a terrible home life, doesn't speak English well or at all, that's the teachers fault, according to him. I'm a little surprised that given his knowledge of the profession, he hasn't obtained a teaching license and entered the field

LA Teachers Strike: $73K Is Not Enough

In LA it probably isn't. I make way more than that and if we moved to LA we'd definitely struggle given the cost of living.
depends on were you live.....the wealthy coastal areas and some inland areas it may just be getting by....but anywhere else you would be living fairly good.......

In Los Angeles? Yeah, right!
yea even in LA....there are wealthy areas and not so wealthy....

Forum List

Back