Larry Hogan on likelihood of third party candidate if it’s Biden and Trump

How and why does one set the record for most votes and in less than two short years, post one of the lowest approval ratings? People are not happy with the presumed choices, Biden and Trump.

People are never "happy".

A DeSantis-Newsom battle would get the electorate more excited.

NOt really. Let's be honest what Trump's "appeal" is. He's an entertaining train wreck. Who wants to listen to boring old DeSantis talke about fiscal responsibility when Trump can scream all sorts of crazy stuff.

Now, personally, I would like it if Biden stepped aside in favor of Newsom, for no other reason than at 82, he's too old. In fact, I think we need to have an upper age limit to ALL public offices.

But I'll take Biden at his worst Senior Moment day than I would Trump at his batshit level crazy, thanks.

People are never "happy".

NOt really. Let's be honest what Trump's "appeal" is. He's an entertaining train wreck. Who wants to listen to boring old DeSantis talke about fiscal responsibility when Trump can scream all sorts of crazy stuff.

Now, personally, I would like it if Biden stepped aside in favor of Newsom, for no other reason than at 82, he's too old. In fact, I think we need to have an upper age limit to ALL public offices.

But I'll take Biden at his worst Senior Moment day than I would Trump at his batshit level crazy, thanks.
Democrats best hope to retain the White House is a Biden-Trump rematch. Trump hatred is a far easier sell compared to getting people excited solely on four more years of Biden

If it is Trump vs Biden, there is a majority that doesn't want either.

A Third Party candidate, not Hogan, but a good one, can win.
I might be tempted to vote for Joe Manchin as a 3rd party candidate.
His fix for SS is removing the cap. That's better than either party has committed to do.

The duopoly has it set up so that it always wins. Nonetheless, strange things do happen.

Democrats best hope to retain the White House is a Biden-Trump rematch. Trump hatred is a far easier sell compared to getting people excited solely on four more years of Biden

Honestly, the real problem your side has is that ALL your candidate suck and your ideas are crazy. you haven't won the popular vote since 2004 (barely) and you had to scare the hell out of the country to do it.

Trump won on a fluke that enough dumb people voted for third parties because all the pollsters told them that Hillary had it the bag, and we are still using this crazy anachronism from the 18th century to pick presidents.

That just isn't likely to happen again. Given a choice between Biden and the Hellscape that would be a second Trump presidency, Biden will win, easily. .

Third party candidates are only viable if he media lets them be.

The media will hype another Ross Perot, if one comes along that could win anti-Biden Republicans to aren't that thrilled about Trump either.

They may even recruit one.

Third party candidates are only viable if he media lets them be.

The media will hype another Ross Perot, if one comes along that could win anti-Biden Republicans to aren't that thrilled about Trump either.

They may even recruit one.

Again, unlikely.

Ross Perot kind of created his own legend, and got too little scrutiny, to be honest.

But let's look at that. Was Ross Perot "Viable". True, at one point he was running equal with Bush and Clinton, then reality set in and he only got 17% of the vote despite the millions spent and didn't win one elector...

The last third party candidate to win electors was George Wallace because the Southern Racists were leaving the Democratic Party before the Republicans welcomed them with open arms.

Again, unlikely.

Ross Perot kind of created his own legend, and got too little scrutiny, to be honest.

But let's look at that. Was Ross Perot "Viable". True, at one point he was running equal with Bush and Clinton, then reality set in and he only got 17% of the vote despite the millions spent and didn't win one elector...

The last third party candidate to win electors was George Wallace because the Southern Racists were leaving the Democratic Party before the Republicans welcomed them with open arms.
All three candidates were at about 33 % before Perot quit. Then he got in again and got 18% or so. The problem was is that he may have won some states and the 270 electoral votes would not be achieved. Let's face it. It looked better with a Dem winning after 12 years of R. And of course, George senior was a globalist anyway.

Honestly, the real problem your side has is that ALL your candidate suck and your ideas are crazy. you haven't won the popular vote since 2004 (barely) and you had to scare the hell out of the country to do it.

Trump won on a fluke that enough dumb people voted for third parties because all the pollsters told them that Hillary had it the bag, and we are still using this crazy anachronism from the 18th century to pick presidents.

That just isn't likely to happen again. Given a choice between Biden and the Hellscape that would be a second Trump presidency, Biden will win, easily. .
You just made my point as to why the Democrats need Trump to run in ‘24 in order for Biden to have a shot - Trump Hatred. Further, if Biden were to win easily, he wouldn’t be struggling with his approval ratings nor would Trump be dragged into every courthouse up and down the East Coast.

If Trump drops out of the race, his legal battles significantly decline and Biden will need to run on his record.

The previous President certainly depended for getting elected upon how the media covered him.

All three candidates were at about 33 % before Perot quit. Then he got in again and got 18% or so. The problem was is that he may have won some states and the 270 electoral votes would not be achieved. Let's face it. It looked better with a Dem winning after 12 years of R. And of course, George senior was a globalist anyway.

When you say stuff like "Globalist", I have to seriously wonder about your medication level.

The problem with Perot was that he spent a lot of money on self-promotion, but had no depth.

You just made my point as to why the Democrats need Trump to run in ‘24 in order for Biden to have a shot - Trump Hatred. Further, if Biden were to win easily, he wouldn’t be struggling with his approval ratings nor would Trump be dragged into every courthouse up and down the East Coast.

Frankly, the other midgets in 2024 RNC don't look nearly as good as the midgets Trump beat in 2016.

Trump is getting dragged into courthouses because he doesn't think the law applies to him.

If Trump drops out of the race, his legal battles significantly decline and Biden will need to run on his record.
Oh, quite the contrary, they are going to keep coming after Trump after he's no longer running. We have to. We have to make an example out of him so on one tries that shit again.

The biggest tragedy in American politics was Ford pardoning Nixon. Nixon needed to answer to a jury.

Again, unlikely.

No, Ross Perot was never viable. Ross Perot was not intended to be viable. Ross Perot was intended to be a spoiler for Bush. Surprise surprise, it worked. And we got 8 years of Clinton.

If it is Trump vs Biden, there is a majority that doesn't want either.

A Third Party candidate, not Hogan, but a good one, can win.
A third party candidate's chances are slim and none because of all the partisan Republicans and Democrats.

No, Ross Perot was never viable. Ross Perot was not intended to be viable. Ross Perot was intended to be a spoiler for Bush. Surprise surprise, it worked. And we got 8 years of Clinton.
You mean we had 8 years of peace and prosperity? That's AWFUL! It was much more fun when we had riots in the streets, corpses being stacked in reefer trailers, and mass business closings.

You mean we had 8 years of peace and prosperity? That's AWFUL! It was much more fun when we had riots in the streets, corpses being stacked in reefer trailers, and mass business closings.
I was speaking of the effect of a third party candidate on election results.

Judging by economic results, I agree that Clinton was not a bad president. He did run as more conservative that Bush, who thought "we're going to have to raise taxes" was an applause line.

I believe having the opposition party in charge of Congress was a big part of keeping his worst Democrat impulses under control, other than with women subordinates. Clinton promised to end welfare as we knew it, and the GOP Congress finally forced him to keep that promise.

I was speaking of the effect of a third party candidate on election results.

Judging by economic results, I agree that Clinton was not a bad president. He did run as more conservative that Bush, who thought "we're going to have to raise taxes" was an applause line.

I believe having the opposition party in charge of Congress was a big part of keeping his worst Democrat impulses under control, other than with women subordinates. Clinton promised to end welfare as we knew it, and the GOP Congress finally forced him to keep that promise.

You mean he put in some cosmetic changes that were repealed the minute we got Gobsmacked by the next Republican Recession.

The problem was that we had to raise taxes no matter who was in office. Clinton actually got us closest to a balanced budget by doing so... and then Bush cut taxes and put a war on a credit card.

1692786849571.png

Forum List

Back