Lawsuit alleges Burger King sandwich sizes in ads mislead customers

There is no question that the ads rarely reflect the real product. I can deal with how inaccurately perfect and glossy these fast food companies make their food appear (do research on the methods they employ to make them look so scrumptious), within reason, the close up panning of the burger to make them appear twice as large as that which sold in their restaurants is false advertising in my opinion.

Well, duh, is this really a Burger King problem? Don't all these places do that? You can't advertise a Lexus and sell people a Yugo, so why doesn't Congress have honesty in advertising laws to regulate all these food advertisers? Burger King is no worse than Wendy's, Arby's or anywhere else I've been.

I rarely eat at fast food places but recently had occasion to eat at Wendy's with a friend. I see the TV ads from these places all the time. In no way does the sandwich you get resemble what they advertise on TV or in ads and pictures. None of them. You're lucky if the actual sandwich is half what they show you, so, you get hungry for what you see, then you get a pile of greasy slop wrapped in a foil sheet about half the size.

If they showed actual photos of what they served their customers for their ads, they'd probably lose half their business because a picture of what they serve you probably wouldn't make you hungry for one!

I've toyed with a little commercial photography where you set things up very precisely, and I can tell you they have companies who do nothing but specialize in photos for ads. Next time you see an ad for a burger and fries, look at the photo: Every sesame seed, every drop of mustard, every drop of juice, every lettuce leaf, the position of every fry, the little peak on top of the creamy milk shake, are meticulously planned, selected, story-boarded, arranged in the tiniest detail over and over for days until they get everything looking just right, then photographed with optimal lenses, lighting, then post-processed with exaggerated colors to make the food shown look absolutely delicious and appealing to maximize your hunger.

Next time you see a food ad, always notice how you get immediately hungry for one? You probably say: "Gee, that looks good," or, "I could go for one of those right now." That is no accident, they literally use psyops in tricking your brain and turning on your hunger. They spend millions and millions of dollars figuring out how to make you want to buy their product.

Subway does the same thing with their sub sandwiches-- -- the meat, veggies and cheese are literally bursting out of the bun. Not even close to what you actually get. Where else can someone advertise a product then sell you something far removed? That is called BAIT AND SWITCH. Why are all these companies prosecuted?

With all the oversight and regulations today, I can't believe government lets them get away with this that private people have to sue themselves.

Fast food is a total fraud.

the close up panning of the burger to make them appear twice as large as that which sold in their restaurants is false advertising in my opinion.

I've seen that. They even sometimes shoot at an upward angle as if the burger is so big that you have to look up at it! It towers over you! Complete with this big fat piece of breaded chicken that looks 2 inches thick (25mm to you metric blokes) sticking way out from the bun.

Then you get home with yours and you have to lift the top bun off to find the meat.

Please let me know the next time anyone actually gets a burger looking like these, much less for a $1 apiece.

wendys-1024x540.png

Why is it that they wouldn't sue all food companies? They all do it. (as do others)

Honestly, if you think that the food that is going to be served to you should look exactly like the ads, then the problem is with you.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but if you think a zoomed image of a burger is what the burger should actually look like and be that size, then you are a fucking idiot. Get a keeper.

Forum List

Back