Legal Help Needed: US Citizenship Claim Through Father with Limited Documentation

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to my father's birth certificate, and the lack of documentation is a major hurdle for me. The suggestion of DNA testing makes sense, but without his citizenship being confirmed first, I feel like I’m stuck in a catch-22 situation.

It’s frustrating to think that my connection to the U.S. could be so easily dismissed due to missing paperwork, especially when my father lived in the U.S. for so long and had a passport. It’s like the system is set up to make it as difficult as possible for people in my situation.

I’ll explore the DNA testing option, but I’m worried that even with that, I might not get the outcome I need.

Your father was born in the US? Or was he a naturalized US citizen?

Thank you for your response. My father was not in the US military. However, my grandfather (my father's father) lived in the United States for decades before moving to Germany with his children, including my father. I'm not sure why they moved back to Germany, but that's the situation.

Given this background, is there any other way I can prove my father's citizenship and secure mine? I'm really hoping to find a path forward. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
If your dad was born in the USA on our soil, then he is a citizen. Get his birth certificate....

What are the time requirements you speak about?

surada Meathead
I was born in Germany, and my father was also born in Germany. Unlike my grandfather, my father didn’t live in the US for an extended period. In fact, it was my grandfather who spent decades living in the United States before eventually moving back to Germany with his family. During my childhood, my father held a US passport, but unfortunately, I don’t have any documents that can prove his US citizenship now, which has made this whole process extremely challenging.

What complicates things further is that my grandfather likely served in the US military during his time in the States, though I don’t have direct documentation of this either. Given that he lived in the US for such a long time and possibly served in the military, I’m hoping that these factors might help establish my father’s citizenship and, by extension, my own eligibility for US citizenship.

I’m trying to navigate this situation with the limited information I have, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to proceed—whether that’s through military records, immigration documents, or any other means that could help prove the necessary connections to the US.

If your dad was born in the USA on our soil, then he is a citizen. Get his birth certificate....
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, just having his birth certificate isn’t enough in my case. The issue is that he didn’t meet the requirement of living in the US for at least 10 years, with 5 of those years after his 14th birthday. That’s where I’m getting stuck, and it’s why proving his citizenship through other means is so challenging for me.

surada Meathead
I was born in Germany, and my father was also born in Germany. Unlike my grandfather, my father didn’t live in the US for an extended period. In fact, it was my grandfather who spent decades living in the United States before eventually moving back to Germany with his family. During my childhood, my father held a US passport, but unfortunately, I don’t have any documents that can prove his US citizenship now, which has made this whole process extremely challenging.

What complicates things further is that my grandfather likely served in the US military during his time in the States, though I don’t have direct documentation of this either. Given that he lived in the US for such a long time and possibly served in the military, I’m hoping that these factors might help establish my father’s citizenship and, by extension, my own eligibility for US citizenship.

I’m trying to navigate this situation with the limited information I have, and I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to proceed—whether that’s through military records, immigration documents, or any other means that could help prove the necessary connections to the US.
Go to the nearest American embassy or consolette with whatever you have.

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, just having his birth certificate isn’t enough in my case. The issue is that he didn’t meet the requirement of living in the US for at least 10 years, with 5 of those years after his 14th birthday. That’s where I’m getting stuck, and it’s why proving his citizenship through other means is so challenging for me.
Definitely seek the advice of an immigration lawyer, and yes...do it now....it will make the process easier and attainable...you can't do this, by yourself....

Go to the nearest American embassy or consolette with whatever you have.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I’ve already tried going to the consulate in Munich. Unfortunately, they’re not very flexible—they insist on having all the required documents before even considering my case. It feels like they don’t really want to help me get the passport at all. I can’t even get an appointment without the necessary paperwork… it’s pure bureaucracy.

And with the current situation, if Germany were attacked because of its involvement in the Ukraine conflict, I’d be completely stuck. It’s frustrating and honestly, I’m running out of options.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I’ve already tried going to the consulate in Munich. Unfortunately, they’re not very flexible—they insist on having all the required documents before even considering my case. It feels like they don’t really want to help me get the passport at all. I can’t even get an appointment without the necessary paperwork… it’s pure bureaucracy.

And with the current situation, if Germany were attacked because of its involvement in the Ukraine conflict, I’d be completely stuck. It’s frustrating and honestly, I’m running out of options.
I think perhaps you're a bit paranoid. Putin's not going to Germany.

I think perhaps you're a bit paranoid. Putin's not going to Germany.
I get that it might sound a bit paranoid, but there have already been plans detailing where nuclear warheads would strike if Tomahawk cruise missiles were stationed here. It’s a real concern, especially with the current tensions. But honestly, it’s not just about that—I have other reasons for wanting to leave as well. The increasing instability, the bureaucratic nightmare I’m dealing with, and the uncertainty about the future are all pushing me to find a way out.

To make matters more complicated, I do have family connections in the US—my aunt lives there, but I have no idea how to contact her. I also have another aunt who’s in Dubai and holds a high position there, but that doesn’t help me with my situation here. It’s like all the pieces are there, but I’m struggling to put them together in a way that gets me where I need to be.

surada Meathead

Where did your dad live in the US?

I get that it might sound a bit paranoid, but there have already been plans detailing where nuclear warheads would strike if Tomahawk cruise missiles were stationed here. It’s a real concern, especially with the current tensions. But honestly, it’s not just about that—I have other reasons for wanting to leave as well. The increasing instability, the bureaucratic nightmare I’m dealing with, and the uncertainty about the future are all pushing me to find a way out.

To make matters more complicated, I do have family connections in the US—my aunt lives there, but I have no idea how to contact her. I also have another aunt who’s in Dubai and holds a high position there, but that doesn’t help me with my situation here. It’s like all the pieces are there, but I’m struggling to put them together in a way that gets me where I need to be.
As a German citizen you can go to the US at will and find the authorities that can help you. If you dad had American citizenship and you can prove he's you dad (birth certificate) you should have few problems.

Meathead
I appreciate the advice, but it's not as simple as it sounds. Even though I can travel to the US as a German citizen, without the proper documentation proving my father's US citizenship, I'm concerned that I'll just run into the same bureaucratic roadblocks there. I have my birth certificate to prove he’s my father, but without proof of his US citizenship, the consulates here in Germany have been very rigid about not moving forward with my case.

I’m also worried about going to the US without any guarantee of success and possibly getting stuck in an even more difficult situation. It feels like I’m in a Catch-22, and every option seems to come with its own set of challenges.

surada
My dad didn’t actually live in the US for an extended period of time. It was my grandfather who spent decades in the US before moving back to Germany with the family. My dad held a US passport when I was a child, but as far as I know, he didn’t live there long enough to meet the usual residency requirements. That’s why this whole process has been so challenging—proving his citizenship without substantial documentation is turning out to be really difficult.

Meathead
I appreciate the advice, but it's not as simple as it sounds. Even though I can travel to the US as a German citizen, without the proper documentation proving my father's US citizenship, I'm concerned that I'll just run into the same bureaucratic roadblocks there. I have my birth certificate to prove he’s my father, but without proof of his US citizenship, the consulates here in Germany have been very rigid about not moving forward with my case.

I’m also worried about going to the US without any guarantee of success and possibly getting stuck in an even more difficult situation. It feels like I’m in a Catch-22, and every option seems to come with its own set of challenges.

surada
My dad didn’t actually live in the US for an extended period of time. It was my grandfather who spent decades in the US before moving back to Germany with the family. My dad held a US passport when I was a child, but as far as I know, he didn’t live there long enough to meet the usual residency requirements. That’s why this whole process has been so challenging—proving his citizenship without substantial documentation is turning out to be really difficult.
Did he attend school in the US?

Meathead

surada
If you act quickly before Trump becomes president go to the Kamala's southern border and you'll be in like Flynn. Free stuff quick path to citizenship and tons of neat other stuff.

Did he attend school in the US?
Yes, my dad did attend school in the US, but after that, the family moved back to Germany. Unfortunately, I don’t know much about that time because several family members who would have more details, like my grandparents, have already passed away. It’s been tough piecing everything together with so little information available.

If you act quickly before Trump becomes president go to the Kamala's southern border and you'll be in like Flynn. Free stuff quick path to citizenship and tons of neat other stuff.
I appreciate the humor, but I'm really looking for a legitimate way to resolve this situation. The bureaucratic hurdles have been frustrating, and I just want to do things the right way to ensure everything is in order. It’s been challenging enough dealing with the consulates here, so I’m hoping to find a solution that doesn’t involve any shortcuts or potential complications down the line.

Yes, my dad did attend school in the US, but after that, the family moved back to Germany. Unfortunately, I don’t know much about that time because several family members who would have more details, like my grandparents, have already passed away. It’s been tough piecing everything together with so little information available.

Contact the school. It's a place to start.

Forum List

Back