Legal pot in Colorado claims it's first victim

Horseshit.

2014: "The pot of today is way stronger than ever".
2005: "The pot of today is way stronger than ever".
2000: "The pot of today is way stronger than ever".
1990: "The pot of today is way stronger than ever".
1980: "The pot of today is way stronger than ever".
1970: "The pot of today is way stronger than ever".

Yammer yammer, heard it all before, bullshit then, bullshit now, bullshit tomorrow. The song remains the same.
Actually, with all the hybrids, the THC levels are much higher overall than pot of the 70's. I remember a lot of bunk from Mexico.

As noted before, I literally cannot remember a time in my entire life when this claim hasn't been trotted out ad infinitum. Nor can I remember any documentation ever substantiating it. At all.

I'm using a tablet and can't link but a site called medical marijuana procon.org stated the THC level in the 70's was around 3.5%. Today it's over 7%. Just Google it.

Also, PCP was smoked quite often back in the 70's. True story

Actually, with all the hybrids, the THC levels are much higher overall than pot of the 70's. I remember a lot of bunk from Mexico.

As noted before, I literally cannot remember a time in my entire life when this claim hasn't been trotted out ad infinitum. Nor can I remember any documentation ever substantiating it. At all.

I'm using a tablet and can't link but a site called medical marijuana procon.org stated the THC level in the 70's was around 3.5%. Today it's over 7%. Just Google it.

Also, PCP was smoked quite often back in the 70's. True story

Thanks - I found the site here but not sure where you see this reference (?) Do you have maybe a story title?

In any case such a comparison would need to be able to (a) ensure that both the modern sample and the one from the '70s came from the same strain of the same plant from the same grower; and (b) ensure that whatever every middleman added or subtracted from the material was exactly the same in both samples -- otherwise you introduce too many variables to come up with a true comparison. In other words, methodology. Then on top of that with the blanket statement of "cannabis today" compared with the blanket "cannabis yesterday" we're making the grand assumption that today's sources (and importation routes) are exactly the same as they were in 1970, which seems far from realistic.

On the "PCP" thing .... we're talking about popular street slang for substances that are anything but FDA approved ingredients, and many a dime bag of Toledo Window Box has been sold as Michoacan, if you get my drift. Just because somebody claims "this bag is laced with PCP" in no way means it really is; it just means people are saying that. Guys I knew were selling the white powder we now call PCP or Angel dust but in that area it was called "THC" -- and we all know that's not what it was, it was just a popular street name. So I take anything with the acronym PCP on it with big proverbial grains of salt (which I call "flour"). :)

2-3 weeks ago while I was back in Colorado, a 19 year old ate 6 bites of a pot cookie...went nuts tearing up his hotel room then took the nestee plunge off the balcony from the 4th floor....it is weeding out people like Darwin predicted.

Using that same site, I had little trouble finding proof that the THC levels in pot has climbed steadily since the 70s. 1000% don't know - but it definitely has risen.

Keep the populace stoned and you can easily pull the wool over their eyes.

Is Marijuana Significantly More Potent Now Than in the Past? - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

Thank you. Now we finally have something to work with. Here's a page they have that even compares potency levels year by year since 1975.

Impressive, one thinks at first glance, which prompts the question "who compiled this?"

Answer: "We compiled a table of marijuana potency, 1975-2003 from the Annual Reports (Nov. 9. 1999 to Nov. 8, 2003) of Mahmoud A. ElSohly, PhD, Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) Marijuana Project at the National Center for Natural Products Research, School of Pharmacy, University of Mississippi".

So .... who is NIDA?
Wiki: "The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) is a United States federal-government research institute whose mission is to "lead the Nation in bringing the power of science to bear on drug abuse and addiction."

The Fed.

The same entity that made cannabis illegal in the first place, after thousands of years of uneventful human use; the same folks who brought us "Reefer Madness", the same Einsteins who still list cannabis as a Schedule 1 'narcotic' ---- wrote these reports.

I am compelled to reiterate: color me skeptical.

To paraphrase the post quoted: Keep the populace baffled with bullshit and you can easily pull the wool over their eyes.

2-3 weeks ago while I was back in Colorado, a 19 year old ate 6 bites of a pot cookie...went nuts tearing up his hotel room then took the nestee plunge off the balcony from the 4th floor....it is weeding out people like Darwin predicted.

Bullshit.

Uh.....it was on the news there.

Oh, the local news is inventing deaths with names and pics? :cuckoo:

Marijuana today is more toxic to the brain than in the 60s and some people experience LSD symptoms and some eventually go insane. But maybe you can counter a BBC documentary I saw on the subject with doctors, scientists and the show's host being part of an experiment....

Bullshit.

Last edited:

Bullshit.

If Pogo would bother to do simple homework, he wouldn't be so insistent on invectives

Denver coroner: Man fell to death after eating marijuana cookies - The Denver Post

Pogo is bullshit.

Bullshit.

If Pogo would bother to do simple homework, he wouldn't be so insistent on invectives

Denver coroner: Man fell to death after eating marijuana cookies - The Denver Post

Pogo is bullshit.

Uh-- it ain't my point to prove, dumbass. The poster said "uh while I was in Denver, this guy..." with no link whatsoever. Made causal connections without a basis too.

"Homework" my ass. You just did his homework for him.

Cannabis doesn't bring about that kind of behaviour. That's why it doesn't pass the smell test.

Last edited:

Bullshit.

Oh, the local news is inventing deaths with names and pics?
That apparently did happen, along with this instance and there will be more to follow, but guess what? It still isn't any reason to outlaw the entire plant and remove all of its potential from the free market. That nineteen-year-old had something seriously wrong with him for marijuana to have the effect. Cannabis is usually known for its relaxational purposes. Why is there only one random case of "Reefer Madness" as opposed to all of the other stories of stereotypical lazy stoners?
https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL32725.pdf

Alcohol leads to numerous violent deaths each year but alcohol is still legal because it isn't a problem for the majority of the public. You will have someone who can't handle weed, ecstasy, alcohol, crystal meth, etc. but people are still going to use them. Legalize drugs, educate the public about the benefits and risks, offer counseling for people who want to quit their addiction, but if people want to do it, try to create an environment where they are safe to do it and minimize harm to others. That's what we do with alcohol, prohibition doesn't work, it's time for America to end the drug war.

Pogo is bullshit.

Uh-- it ain't my point to prove, dumbass. The poster said "uh while I was in Denver, this guy..." with no link whatsoever. Made causal connections without a basis too.

"Homework" my ass.

Well, common sense would dictate that a progressive Nazi (such as yourself) would set out to prove the poster wrong - but no. You constantly make yourself look foolish. Took me less than 30 seconds to back the poster up. Look before you leap, Nazi.

Too much Ganja, perhaps?

Using that same site, I had little trouble finding proof that the THC levels in pot has climbed steadily since the 70s. 1000% don't know - but it definitely has risen.

Keep the populace stoned and you can easily pull the wool over their eyes.

Is Marijuana Significantly More Potent Now Than in the Past? - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

Thank you. Now we finally have something to work with. Here's a page they have that even compares potency levels year by year since 1975.

Impressive, one thinks at first glance, which prompts the question "who compiled this?"

Answer: "We compiled a table of marijuana potency, 1975-2003 from the Annual Reports (Nov. 9. 1999 to Nov. 8, 2003) of Mahmoud A. ElSohly, PhD, Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) Marijuana Project at the National Center for Natural Products Research, School of Pharmacy, University of Mississippi".

So .... who is NIDA?
Wikimedia: "The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) is a United States federal-government research institute whose mission is to "lead the Nation in bringing the power of science to bear on drug abuse and addiction."

The Fed.

The same entity that made cannabis illegal in the first place, after thousands of years of uneventful human use; the same folks who brought us "Reefer Madness", the same Einsteins who still list cannabis as a Schedule 1 'narcotic' ---- wrote these reports.

I am compelled to reiterate: color me skeptical.

To paraphrase the post quoted: Keep the populace baffled with bullshit and you can easily pull the wool over their eyes.
Or, it just might be a lot stronger now than back in the 70's being they are hybrids.

Of course. But unless you're growing your own how would you know until you smoked it

Depending on what and how much it is laced with, it might be detectible by one or more senses.

But yes, you'd have to be able to trust the person you are getting the pot from. However, if it's being regulated, one would hope that the pot bought in a store undergoes some form of quality control. More, if it's legal, there are legal avenues available to go after someone if they do sell you tainted marijuana. While it's illegal, who do you turn to if you get some pot laced with LSD or another hallucinogen?

You can't "lace pot with LSD". Doesn't work that way. Perhaps to save time we should note in advance you can't lace pot with psilocybin or mescaline either. You could lace it with hash oil, but that's the same substance so in effect a concentrated form of the same thing.

I hope this post was a joke. "Back in the day" we used to talk about "smoking LSD cigarettes" and "taking heroin pills" which we all understood was a mocking satire of the uninformed.

Well, you could lace a pot edible with LSD! :D

Really, acid is just the first thing that comes to mind when someone brings up hallucinogens. I wasn't trying to be accurate but make a point that, even if people are getting marijuana with added hallucinogens in it, it would almost surely be safer and less likely to occur if we just legalize and regulate pot.

I remember hearing a couple of people claim they got pot laced with something back in the day; I can't recall for sure what they said it was. I'm pretty sure no one ever said they hallucinated from smoking some pot, though.

On the other hand, I am a bit curious if trying to smoke pot with LSD would do anything. I've no idea what effects, if any, LSD might have if inhaled in smoke. I'd imagine it would take a huge amount of it to really do much, though. Who would want to waste that kind of money?

Pogo is bullshit.

Cannabis doesn't bring about that kind of behaviour. That's why it doesn't pass the smell test.

Oh, OK Doctor. I wasn't aware of your medical credentials. I will take the word of the Coroner (even though he is from Denver) over yours - any day of the week and twice on Sunday. But thank you for your medical insight.

Pot is more potent today and some people's brain react with abnormal reactions that could lead to killing themselves, but many times it leads to depression and other mental problems.

Pogo is bullshit.

Oh, OK Doctor. I wasn't aware of your medical credentials. I will take the word of the Coroner (even though he is from Denver) over yours - any day of the week and twice on Sunday. But thank you for your medical insight.

You do that, since the coroner said, and one quotes, "multiple injuries due to a fall from height." Which I have no reason to doubt since it was the fourth floor.

You're welcome. :thup:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back