Legal pot in Colorado claims it's first victim

Pot is more potent today and some people's brain react with abnormal reactions that could lead to killing themselves, but many times it leads to depression and other mental problems.

Once again -- no link, no source, just ipse dixit. Same thing we've heard since ... .1937.
snore.gif

Last edited:
Using that same site, I had little trouble finding proof that the THC levels in pot has climbed steadily since the 70s. 1000% don't know - but it definitely has risen.

Keep the populace stoned and you can easily pull the wool over their eyes.

Is Marijuana Significantly More Potent Now Than in the Past? - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

Thank you. Now we finally have something to work with. Here's a page they have that even compares potency levels year by year since 1975.

Impressive, one thinks at first glance, which prompts the question "who compiled this?"

Answer: "We compiled a table of marijuana potency, 1975-2003 from the Annual Reports (Nov. 9. 1999 to Nov. 8, 2003) of Mahmoud A. ElSohly, PhD, Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) Marijuana Project at the National Center for Natural Products Research, School of Pharmacy, University of Mississippi".

So .... who is NIDA?
Wikimedia: "The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) is a United States federal-government research institute whose mission is to "lead the Nation in bringing the power of science to bear on drug abuse and addiction."

The Fed.

The same entity that made cannabis illegal in the first place, after thousands of years of uneventful human use; the same folks who brought us "Reefer Madness", the same Einsteins who still list cannabis as a Schedule 1 'narcotic' ---- wrote these reports.

I am compelled to reiterate: color me skeptical.

To paraphrase the post quoted: Keep the populace baffled with bullshit and you can easily pull the wool over their eyes.
Or, it just might be a lot stronger now than back in the 70's being they are hybrids.
The pot growers back in the 60s and 70s were looking to heighten the effects of marijuana, and there were already studies being posted in JAMA and other research magazines where researchers were finding street stuff far more potent than before, but instead of 100% stronger, they were concerned because 40% stronger stuff was turning up. The MJ Onion Cartel (giggle) was dissing me when I reported it online sometime in or around 1996-1999, using my college reading notes which I still had from the 80s in my files. I was called a liar so many times, I grew deaf to the word. Back then, pot growers were likely using Mendelian methods. I have a headache to think they will find a way to expand the high-producing marker on marijuana DNA many times over. IOW, we ain't seen nothin' yet. :dunno:

"Marihuana" was first outlawed at the Federal level in 1937. Americans were still smoking weed in the 1940s when "Marihuana" was legalized. America would not have won World War II if "Marihuana" had remained illegal. The full legalization of Cannabis Sativa today will save the United States of America at least $20 billion per year and replace foreign imports with domestic production.

Nixon started the war on drugs in 1972 after the National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse advised that "Marihuana" prohibition is worse for American society than people smoking "Marihuana". The war on drugs is a lie that needs to end.

Pot is more potent today and some people's brain react with abnormal reactions that could lead to killing themselves, but many times it leads to depression and other mental problems.

Once again -- no link, no source, just ipse dixit. Same thing we've heard since ... .1937.
snore.gif
Sorry my college notes became so dated, I threw them out before we moved 5 years ago, Pogo.

The researchers were frightened back then. I'm worried that it will be "improved" to the point of becoming a truly hard drug, which it would be if people realized its effect on emasculating especially young teenaged men before they reach adulthood. The studies were showing the male children of villagers in parts of the world who started using before school starts for children here. Well, their testicles were not descending on time, plus their brains were not functioning as well as their counterparts who were never exposed to the drug. Sellers want this information swept under the carpet, from what I've gathered from past web experiences. The facts just don't correlate with the desire to make other people feel good and relaxed by the denizens of hospitality, that's all. I wish they did. There's too much bad stuff in the world as it is, but so far, there is no magic bullet outside the faith realm, which just makes some people yet more unhappy. I think Red Raspberry tea makes me feel as good as it's gonna get. :lol:

"Marihuana" was first outlawed at the Federal level in 1937. Americans were still smoking weed in the 1940s when "Marihuana" was legalized. America would not have won World War II if "Marihuana" had remained illegal. The full legalization of Cannabis Sativa today will save the United States of America at least $20 billion per year and replace foreign imports with domestic production.

Nixon started the war on drugs in 1972 after the National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse advised that "Marihuana" prohibition is worse for American society than people smoking "Marihuana". The war on drugs is a lie that needs to end.
No it isn't. It is fact-based and not market-based.

The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry disagrees with efforts to legalize marijuana based on the science of what happens to the development of certain tissues in young children exposed to or using marijuana products. Here is their reasoning, dated April 15, 2014:

The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry has released a policy opposing efforts to legalize marijuana.

The AACAP policy statement, released April 15, opposes marijuana legalization while supporting initiatives aimed at increasing awareness of marijuana’s effects on adolescents and improving access to evidence-based treatment, rather than focusing on criminal charges for adolescent users. AACAP also supports the careful monitoring of marijuana-related policy changes on the mental health of children and adolescents.

The policy stresses that significant early use of the drug is associated with increased incidence and worsened psychotic, mood, anxiety, and substance use disorders "across the lifespan." In addition, one in six adolescent marijuana users develops cannabis use disorder, a syndrome involving tolerance, withdrawal, and continued marijuana use despite significant associated impairments.

"Often lost in the discussion on marijuana are the concerning potential implications of policy changes on children and adolescents, who are particularly vulnerable to marijuana’s adverse effects," Dr. Kevin Gray, co-chair of AACAP’s Substance Abuse and Addiction Committee, said in a statement. "With this in mind, AACAP felt it was critically important to communicate our organization’s position, given our role as advocates for children and adolescent mental health."
FAMILY PRACTICE NEWS

snore.gif

If you've never seen them, here are some studies that show adverse effects on infants during fetal development and even breastfeeding when the mother is the user:

References: 1. Day NL, Richardson GA, Geva D, Robles N. Alcohol, marijuana, and tobacco: effects of prenatal exposure on offspring growth and morphology at age six. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. Aug 1994;18(4):786-794.

2. Fried PA. Prenatal exposure to marihuana and tobacco during infancy, early and middle childhood: effects and an attempt at synthesis. Arch Toxicol Suppl. 1995;17:233-260.

3. Hurd YL, Wang X, Anderson V, Beck O, Minkoff H, Dow-Edwards D. Marijuana impairs growth in mid-gestation fetuses. Neurotoxicol Teratol. Mar-Apr 2005;27(2):221-229.

4. Murphy LL, Munoz RM, Adrian BA, Villanua MA. Function of cannabinoid receptors in the neuroendocrine regulation of hormone secretion. Neurobiol Dis. Dec 1998;5(6 Pt B):432-446.

5. Kline J, Stein Z, Hutzler M. Cigarettes, alcohol and marijuana: varying associations with birthweight. Int J Epidemiol. Mar 1987;16(1):44-51.

6. Robison LL, Buckley JD, Daigle AE, et al. Maternal drug use and risk of childhood nonlymphoblastic leukemia among offspring. An epidemiologic investigation implicating marijuana (a report from the Childrens Cancer Study Group). Cancer. May 15 1989;63(10):1904-1911.

7. Wang X, Dow-Edwards D, Anderson V, Minkoff H, Hurd YL. In utero marijuana exposure associated with abnormal amygdala dopamine D2 gene expression in the human fetus. Biol Psychiatry. Dec 15 2004;56(12):909-915.

8. Jutras-Aswad D, DiNieri JA, Harkany T, Hurd YL. Neurobiological consequences of maternal cannabis on human fetal development and its neuropsychiatric outcome. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. Oct 2009;259(7):395-412.

9. Mendelson JH, Mello NK, Ellingboe J. Acute effects of marihuana smoking on prolactin levels in human females. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. Jan 1985;232(1):220-222. 10. Fried PA, Cannabis use during pregnancy: its effects on offspring from birth to young adulthood. In: Alcohol, Drugs and Medications. Preece and Riley Eds. Clinics in Developmental Medicine No 188 2011 11. Briggs G, Freeman, R., and Yaffe, S. Drugs in Pregancy and Lactation. Vol Seventh Ed. Philadelphia PA: Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins; 2005. - See more at: Effects of Marijuana on the Fetus and Breastfeeding Infants. | InfantRisk Center
Unfortunately, the article is not happy news for everyone, particularly the person who grows up suffering from any of the consequences mentioned. Here's just an excerpt or two:

THC crosses the placenta readily, and there is increasing evidence that it may increase rates of growth retardation, adverse neurodevelopment following prenatal exposure.

Despite the widespread use of this product, the public is not aware of the potential neurobehavioral effects of this drug on the fetus or the newborn infant.

Recent longitudinal studies suggest an increased risk of motor, social and cognitive disturbances in offspring who were exposed to cannabis prenatally. One study indicated a increased incidence of reduced head circumference in young adolescents (9-12years of age) who were exposed in utero to heavy marijuana use.10 Prenatal exposure resulted in a higher rate of low birth weight infants, and childhood leukemia. 5, 6,11 Recent studies have suggested a reduction in long and short-term memory retrieval and retention in children exposed to prenatal cannabis. These children were also weak in planning, integration and judgment skills. In a study of 42 postmortem fetal brain samples from pregnant women at mid gestation (18-22 weeks of gestational age) who voluntarily underwent saline induced abortion, a decrease in dopamine receptor (D2) mRNA expression in amygdala with significant prevalence in male fetuses. 7 Extensive marijuana exposure in utero was associated with the lowest reported mRNA levels. Unfortunately, this study did not indicate whether this change is transient or permanent.
Chronic cannabis use may cause depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder in adolescents and adults.

Sridevi Alapiti M.D.
Thomas W. Hale, Ph.D.
Infant Risk Center
There are mountains of scientific studies, Pogo. You just have to know where to find them if you really want to know what an enemy THC is to the developing human being, not to mention how it turns people depressed, anxious, and even bipolar behaviors in chronic users.

Life is hard on the body. THC is a terrible crazymaker to neural pathways in that body for reasons listed in those studies that track neurotransmitters.

Sorry. :(

The kicker to studying prenatal problems by maternal use is that researchers have a very, very difficult time trying to figure out what if any deleterious effects may be if the father is the user. You might as well try to pry a tooth from a diamond. Those kind of studies are hard to establish, and always have been. :cool:

Last edited:

snore.gif

If you've never seen them, here are some studies that show adverse effects on infants during fetal development and even breastfeeding when the mother is the user:

References: 1. Day NL, Richardson GA, Geva D, Robles N. Alcohol, marijuana, and tobacco: effects of prenatal exposure on offspring growth and morphology at age six. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. Aug 1994;18(4):786-794.

2. Fried PA. Prenatal exposure to marihuana and tobacco during infancy, early and middle childhood: effects and an attempt at synthesis. Arch Toxicol Suppl. 1995;17:233-260.

3. Hurd YL, Wang X, Anderson V, Beck O, Minkoff H, Dow-Edwards D. Marijuana impairs growth in mid-gestation fetuses. Neurotoxicol Teratol. Mar-Apr 2005;27(2):221-229.

4. Murphy LL, Munoz RM, Adrian BA, Villanua MA. Function of cannabinoid receptors in the neuroendocrine regulation of hormone secretion. Neurobiol Dis. Dec 1998;5(6 Pt B):432-446.

5. Kline J, Stein Z, Hutzler M. Cigarettes, alcohol and marijuana: varying associations with birthweight. Int J Epidemiol. Mar 1987;16(1):44-51.

6. Robison LL, Buckley JD, Daigle AE, et al. Maternal drug use and risk of childhood nonlymphoblastic leukemia among offspring. An epidemiologic investigation implicating marijuana (a report from the Childrens Cancer Study Group). Cancer. May 15 1989;63(10):1904-1911.

7. Wang X, Dow-Edwards D, Anderson V, Minkoff H, Hurd YL. In utero marijuana exposure associated with abnormal amygdala dopamine D2 gene expression in the human fetus. Biol Psychiatry. Dec 15 2004;56(12):909-915.

8. Jutras-Aswad D, DiNieri JA, Harkany T, Hurd YL. Neurobiological consequences of maternal cannabis on human fetal development and its neuropsychiatric outcome. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. Oct 2009;259(7):395-412.

9. Mendelson JH, Mello NK, Ellingboe J. Acute effects of marihuana smoking on prolactin levels in human females. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. Jan 1985;232(1):220-222. 10. Fried PA, Cannabis use during pregnancy: its effects on offspring from birth to young adulthood. In: Alcohol, Drugs and Medications. Preece and Riley Eds. Clinics in Developmental Medicine No 188 2011 11. Briggs G, Freeman, R., and Yaffe, S. Drugs in Pregancy and Lactation. Vol Seventh Ed. Philadelphia PA: Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins; 2005. - See more at: Effects of Marijuana on the Fetus and Breastfeeding Infants. | InfantRisk Center

Unfortunately, the article is not happy news for everyone, particularly the person who grows up suffering from any of the consequences mentioned. Here's just an excerpt or two:

THC crosses the placenta readily, and there is increasing evidence that it may increase rates of growth retardation, adverse neurodevelopment following prenatal exposure.

Despite the widespread use of this product, the public is not aware of the potential neurobehavioral effects of this drug on the fetus or the newborn infant.

Recent longitudinal studies suggest an increased risk of motor, social and cognitive disturbances in offspring who were exposed to cannabis prenatally. One study indicated a increased incidence of reduced head circumference in young adolescents (9-12years of age) who were exposed in utero to heavy marijuana use.10 Prenatal exposure resulted in a higher rate of low birth weight infants, and childhood leukemia. 5, 6,11 Recent studies have suggested a reduction in long and short-term memory retrieval and retention in children exposed to prenatal cannabis. These children were also weak in planning, integration and judgment skills. In a study of 42 postmortem fetal brain samples from pregnant women at mid gestation (18-22 weeks of gestational age) who voluntarily underwent saline induced abortion, a decrease in dopamine receptor (D2) mRNA expression in amygdala with significant prevalence in male fetuses. 7 Extensive marijuana exposure in utero was associated with the lowest reported mRNA levels. Unfortunately, this study did not indicate whether this change is transient or permanent.
Chronic cannabis use may cause depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder in adolescents and adults.

Sridevi Alapiti M.D.
Thomas W. Hale, Ph.D.
Infant Risk Center

There are mountains of scientific studies, Pogo. You just have to know where to find them if you really want to know what an enemy THC is to the developing human being, not to mention how it turns people depressed, anxious, and even bipolar behaviors in chronic users.

Life is hard on the body. THC is a terrible crazymaker to neural pathways in that body for reasons listed in those studies that track neurotransmitters.

Sure, nobody wants poisoned infants. That's a given.

But that's not what that poster's point was at all.

If Pogo would bother to do simple homework, he wouldn't be so insistent on invectives

Denver coroner: Man fell to death after eating marijuana cookies - The Denver Post

Pogo is bullshit.

Uh-- it ain't my point to prove, dumbass. The poster said "uh while I was in Denver, this guy..." with no link whatsoever. Made causal connections without a basis too.

"Homework" my ass.

Well, common sense would dictate that a progressive Nazi (such as yourself) would set out to prove the poster wrong - but no. You constantly make yourself look foolish. Took me less than 30 seconds to back the poster up. Look before you leap, Nazi.

Too much Ganja, perhaps?

I didn't make the point, dumbass.
What part of "burden of proof" is over your head here? As I said, it's his job to back up his point --- not yours, not mine. As I said, you did his homework for him-- and in the process enabled his ipse dixit empty posting. Good move there, he didn't learn a thing.

And in closing, fo guck yourself.

Last edited:
Actually, with all the hybrids, the THC levels are much higher overall than pot of the 70's. I remember a lot of bunk from Mexico.

As noted before, I literally cannot remember a time in my entire life when this claim hasn't been trotted out ad infinitum. Nor can I remember any documentation ever substantiating it. At all.

I'm using a tablet and can't link but a site called medical marijuana procon.org stated the THC level in the 70's was around 3.5%. Today it's over 7%. Just Google it.

Also, PCP was smoked quite often back in the 70's. True story

yes it was.....

Bullshit.
Uh.....it was on the news there.

Oh, the local news is inventing deaths with names and pics?
That apparently did happen, along with this instance and there will be more to follow, but guess what? It still isn't any reason to outlaw the entire plant and remove all of its potential from the free market. That nineteen-year-old had something seriously wrong with him for marijuana to have the effect. Cannabis is usually known for its relaxational purposes. Why is there only one random case of "Reefer Madness" as opposed to all of the other stories of stereotypical lazy stoners?
https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL32725.pdf

As the story quoted the authorities, "it's all we have" in the way of explanation. The poster(s) took that piece of news and assumed, on their own, a causal relationship that has no proof of itself in order to push an unpushable point.

For that matter the newspaper story does the same thing as a hook to sell papers. And the posters here bought it. Which is the same thing that happened with the OP.

Uh-- it ain't my point to prove, dumbass. The poster said "uh while I was in Denver, this guy..." with no link whatsoever. Made causal connections without a basis too.

"Homework" my ass.

Well, common sense would dictate that a progressive Nazi (such as yourself) would set out to prove the poster wrong - but no. You constantly make yourself look foolish. Took me less than 30 seconds to back the poster up. Look before you leap, Nazi.

Too much Ganja, perhaps?

What part of "burden of proof" is over your head here? As I said, it's his job to back up his point --- not yours, not mine. As I said, you did his homework for him-- and in the process enabled his ipse dixit empty posting. Good move there, he didn't learn a thing.

I don't think so Nazi

As noted before, I literally cannot remember a time in my entire life when this claim hasn't been trotted out ad infinitum. Nor can I remember any documentation ever substantiating it. At all.

I'm using a tablet and can't link but a site called medical marijuana procon.org stated the THC level in the 70's was around 3.5%. Today it's over 7%. Just Google it.

Also, PCP was smoked quite often back in the 70's. True story

yes it was.....

I'm still skeptical but aside from the PCP mythology, back to the potency thing -- even if the THC content did go up (or even if it does in the present from one score to the next) --- so what? It just means the user needs to smoke less. And buy less. It almost seems like some of these posters think a smoker is required to ingest some given fixed amount. Doesn't work that way; an increased potency basically means increased efficiency.

-- And?

snore.gif

Sridevi Alapiti M.D.
Thomas W. Hale, Ph.D.
Infant Risk Center

That is unless they are Conservative children, right Nazi?

Too much Ganja, perhaps?

I don't think so Nazi

Oh I know so. It's on the record. Post 285.

That is unless they are Conservative children, right Nazi?

So you're entirely illiterate then?
Ipse Dixit Man's post had nothing to do with children whatsoever. Nor with Conservatives, Liberals or any other political entity. This is one topic where libs and cons agree.
Then there's you. :cuckoo:

Last edited:
snore.gif

Sridevi Alapiti M.D.
Thomas W. Hale, Ph.D.
Infant Risk Center

In societies in which there is a free flow of pot, children get it at home either by parent's hand or the child. High parents aren't always responsible parents when they're under the age of 60. They may be high enough to forget that children could be getting as much cannabinoid as they from second hand smoke.

The ignorance about the effects of marijuana on childrens' bodies and their parents' mental health abounds. It's a social drug. Parents want their children to be social animals. That's why it is a huge problem, Pogo. Children are the future of the nation and possibly world freedom. They deserve the right to have a healthy mind and body.

The future is not big in our day-to-day world, but it's huge to the people who will be living in the world in 25, 50, 100 years from today.

What happens in the uterus doesn't stay in the uterus. :eusa_whistle:

that also can depend on how much you smoke too.....and whats going on in your life....

snore.gif

Sridevi Alapiti M.D.
Thomas W. Hale, Ph.D.
Infant Risk Center

The kicker to studying prenatal problems by maternal use is that researchers have a very, very difficult time trying to figure out what if any deleterious effects may be if the father is the user. You might as well try to pry a tooth from a diamond. Those kind of studies are hard to establish, and always have been. :cool:

Here's my take (and personal opinion) on this crap. I have smoked pot on several occasions when I was a kid. Didn't like it. When I left Vietnam, retrained and went to Germany, there were several times when I don't remember the previous couple of days - I drank myself into a stupor. One early morning, I woke up laying in a street in Heidleberg. I told myself then - this shit HAS to stop.

In the decades since that time, I have had a few beers (maybe 20). I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't do drugs. My Wife and my kids and my Grand Kids have never seen me inebriated. Never once.

There are studies that claim that pot is harmless and there are studies that say that it will harm you over time. I don't know. Here's what I DO, however, know.

20-30 years from now, when these folks (primarily young people) are developing COPD, Lung Cancer, etc etc etc. It will be too late. The "Government" will begin printing labels on Pot cans telling us that "pot causes cancer" and "Nursing Mothers shouldn't smoke Marijuana" and so on and so forth. The States that "legalized" pot in spite of federal law will face BILLIONS in law suits. Finally, there will be settlements with the makers and sellers of "weed" and the American taxpayer will get not one penny, just like tobacco.

And then, just like with tobacco, we will start telling ourselves that "it won't happen to me" and 40 years after that, we will finally do away with this bullshit.

Forum List

Back