Lesbian couple caught in rape case.

But she will still be a convicted felon. And there is debate on whether that law covers homosexual relationships.

There is no debate about that outside the confines of the minds of people who think homosexuals deserve special rights.
Umm, k.

The law doesn't say anything about the sex of the people involved, all it mentions is their ages. There is no way anyone who has read it can say it does not apply to people of the same sex.

I am very grateful to not be a Florida resident...this law is far more reasonable where I'm from:)

As for the girl, she has a team of lawyers, *shrug* maybe she should have taken the plea, maybe she will get a lighter sentence than was offered.

I would make it a misdemeanor if they are no more than 4 years apart, which is the law in my home state.

Are you sure she is less than 4 years older than the other girl?

Yes.

Their ages right now are 18 and 15.

Again, my opinion is on the law, this case simply highlights what I feel is an overly harsh punishment.
Under Florida law, 15 is still a child. See below. The age of consent with a person under the age of 24 is 16 yrs of age. Therefore the 18 year old is STILL in violation of the law.

[EDITORS NOTE: We get many comments regarding Florida and our posting of the age of consent as 18. You should understand that our definition of "age of legal consent" is the age at which a person may consent to sexual contact with ANY person not in a position of authority, etc. Using our definition, the age of consent in Florida is 18.

However, for the sake of argument and clarification, if a person is less than 24 years old, they may enter into sexual contact with a person who is at least 16 years old.]

794.05 Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors.--

(1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, "sexual activity" means oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by, or union with, the sexual organ of another; however, sexual activity does not include an act done for a bona fide medical purpose.

(2) The provisions of this section do not apply to a person 16 or 17 years of age who has had the disabilities of nonage removed under chapter 743.

(3) The victim's prior sexual conduct is not a relevant issue in a prosecution under this section.

(4) If an offense under this section directly results in the victim giving birth to a child, paternity of that child shall be established as described in chapter 742. If it is determined that the offender is the father of the child, the offender must pay child support pursuant to the child support guidelines described in chapter 61. History.--RS 2598; s. 1, ch. 4965, 1901; GS 3521; s. 1, ch. 6974, 1915; s. 1, ch. 7732, 1918; RGS 5409; s. 1, ch. 8596, 1921; CGL 7552; s. 1, ch. 61-109; s. 759, ch. 71-136; s. 1, ch. 96-409.

Update 06-23-01: Comments from Email:
Florida Law (Section 800.04, Florida Statues) regarding lewd and lascivious behavior carries a mandatory sentence. This law has turned many teenage boys into sexual offender. If there is physical contact....not sexual intercourse (battery)...between a girl under 16 and a boy 16 or over, The girl or her parents can charge the male and have him arrested. Consent is not considered, just the ages of the participants.
Florida - Age of Consent

I never said it only applies to people of the opposite sex. I said it was debatable. Perhaps I should have said, I've read articles about this case that call into debate whether that law will apply to her.

Like I said, the only people that are saying that are the people that have an agenda.

Adults and children, jarlaxle, adults and children.

And "feelings" are not excuses and the children are not in charge.

Jarlaxle, you are crazy if you think this girl is going to walk.

I will give you one hundred trillion dollars a day for a trillion days if you can point to ONE POST where I said she would walk. STOP FUCKING LYING, YOU STUPID SHIT!

Should Kate be charged, yes. But the possible punishment is way too severe. I've always thought that statutory rape cases involving an 18 year old had too severe of a punisment.

An 18 year old with a 14 year old should not be charged the same as a 40 year old with a 14 year old. The charges should be more in line with the difference in age.

She is not going to get 15 years, they throw in the maximum to cover extreme cases where adults have done this more than once.

Doesn't matter...I honestly expect a year in prison for her would be a death sentence.

I am very grateful to not be a Florida resident...this law is far more reasonable where I'm from:)

As for the girl, she has a team of lawyers, *shrug* maybe she should have taken the plea, maybe she will get a lighter sentence than was offered.

She needs to either consummate a suicide pact with her lover or skip the country. Short of buying off a judge, prosecutor, or jury, there is no possible positive outcome.

Adults and children, jarlaxle, adults and children.

And "feelings" are not excuses and the children are not in charge.

Jarlaxle, you are crazy if you think this girl is going to walk.

I will give you one hundred trillion dollars a day for a trillion days if you can point to ONE POST where I said she would walk. STOP FUCKING LYING, YOU STUPID SHIT!

Well, losers lose it, as you just demonstrated. Son, she is not going to walk; and, son, children are not in charge; and, son, your feelings don't count.

Forum List

Back