Lesbian couple caught in rape case.

Should Kate be charged, yes. But the possible punishment is way too severe. I've always thought that statutory rape cases involving an 18 year old had too severe of a punisment.

An 18 year old with a 14 year old should not be charged the same as a 40 year old with a 14 year old. The charges should be more in line with the difference in age.

She is not going to get 15 years, they throw in the maximum to cover extreme cases where adults have done this more than once.

Are you sure she is less than 4 years older than the other girl?

Yes.

Their ages right now are 18 and 15.

Again, my opinion is on the law, this case simply highlights what I feel is an overly harsh punishment.

Then she is covered by Florida law already, and can petition to have her name removed from the sex offender registry when she completes probation.

But she will still be a convicted felon. And there is debate on whether that law covers homosexual relationships.

Should Kate be charged, yes. But the possible punishment is way too severe. I've always thought that statutory rape cases involving an 18 year old had too severe of a punisment.

An 18 year old with a 14 year old should not be charged the same as a 40 year old with a 14 year old. The charges should be more in line with the difference in age.

She is not going to get 15 years, they throw in the maximum to cover extreme cases where adults have done this more than once.

It shouldn't be an option. All it takes is one over-zealous judge to go too far.

Yes.

Again, my opinion is on the law, this case simply highlights what I feel is an overly harsh punishment.

Then she is covered by Florida law already, and can petition to have her name removed from the sex offender registry when she completes probation.

But she will still be a convicted felon. And there is debate on whether that law covers homosexual relationships.

Her problem, not yours. Sexual assault is sexual assault.

Yes.

There is no debate about that outside the confines of the minds of people who think homosexuals deserve special rights.

There is no debate about that outside the confines of the minds of people who think homosexuals deserve special rights.
Umm, k.

I am for Romeo and Juliet laws.

I am for laws that recognize that there is a difference in a 40 year old taking advantage of a 15 year old, and two high school kids thinking they are in love.

No there is not. One is an adult. The other a child.
Period.

That is your opinion. I disagree with you.:)

No..Not opinion. It's reality and the LAW.
a 14 year old human being is a CHILD....
And 18 year old human being is an ADULT....
Ask around. You'll find your claim fails at 99% rate.

Yes.

Wrong, sex is sex. Nice try though.

I simply don't think it's right that this girl is facing 15 years in prison and spending the rest of her life as a convicted felon.

The law is wrong.

And I hope this case leads to it being changed :)

Your morals are sewage.
What if the 14 year old was your kid? Yeah, come back with some left over '60's "if it feels good, do it" bullshit.

What if the 18 year old was my kid.

I don't think she, or anyone in similar circumstances deserves 15 years in prison and a felony conviction for this. It's the type of black and white law that ruins lives.
That's not what I asked you.
Once again...What if the 14 year old was your kid?
She wrecked her life by doing something she knew or should have known was WRONG.
Should she get the max? Don't know. Depends on the mental state of the minor. And the amount of outrage on the part of the public.

The voters make the law and last I checked the change.org petition had over 300,000 signatures, the DA had to shut down his email and phone because he received so many calls about this case and a republican Florida rep has stated he wants the law changed.

I'm not talking about a "my kid" exception, I'm talking about changing an unjust law. There was a time when we used to chop the hands off of thieves. Yes it was the law, but it wasn't a fair or just punishment.

Petitions are absolute democracy. Thankfully not our form of government.
Any law that protects children from conquering adults IS a just law.
And will always BE a just law.

Your morals are sewage.
What if the 14 year old was your kid? Yeah, come back with some left over '60's "if it feels good, do it" bullshit.

What if the 18 year old was my kid.

I don't think she, or anyone in similar circumstances deserves 15 years in prison and a felony conviction for this. It's the type of black and white law that ruins lives.
That's not what I asked you.
Once again...What if the 14 year old was your kid?
She wrecked her life by doing something she knew or should have known was WRONG.
Should she get the max? Don't know. Depends on the mental state of the minor. And the amount of outrage on the part of the public.
If the 14 year old was my child, I'm sure I'd be mad as hell.

That still wouldn't change my opinion on the law.

I simply don't think it's right that this girl is facing 15 years in prison and spending the rest of her life as a convicted felon.

The law is wrong.

And I hope this case leads to it being changed :)

Why is it wrong?

• She was over 18 when she started the relationship.
  • The other girl was just 14.
  • The legal adult performed a sex act on the barely teen girl in a school restroom.
Which of those facts leads you to believe that she should get special treatment?

I don't think she should get special treatment.
Then what are you arguing about.
Let the process do its job and stop with the 'causes'..

Why is it wrong?

• She was over 18 when she started the relationship.
  • The other girl was just 14.
  • The legal adult performed a sex act on the barely teen girl in a school restroom.
Which of those facts leads you to believe that she should get special treatment?

Maybe you should read my posts if you can't understand my argument.

I have repeatedly stated, I don't believe the law is fair. I think the punishment is too harsh and I support the current movement to change the law.

Maybe you should read my posts if you can't understand my argument.

I have repeatedly stated, I don't believe the law is fair. I think the punishment is too harsh and I support the current movement to change the law.

To bad Florida does not have a petition to make laws then. And to bad you are not a Florida resident. The girl is stupid she should take the plea bargain.

The voters make the law and last I checked the change.org petition had over 300,000 signatures, the DA had to shut down his email and phone because he received so many calls about this case and a republican Florida rep has stated he wants the law changed.

I'm not talking about a "my kid" exception, I'm talking about changing an unjust law. There was a time when we used to chop the hands off of thieves. Yes it was the law, but it wasn't a fair or just punishment.

Could that be because the family of the 18 year old are misrepresenting the facts of the case? And that they are deliberately making this into a homosexual rights story instead of a sex offense?

Not that I blame them doing that, I would myself it it was my daughter, but the rest of us should stick to the actual facts.

I'm a bit slow.
What does any of this have to do with gay rights?
Nothing.
Gay people are making an issue because this kind of thing threatens them.
If they were smart and kept their mouths shut, they'd get more support as mainstream people.

Forum List

Back