Lesbian couple caught in rape case.

I simply don't think it's right that this girl is facing 15 years in prison and spending the rest of her life as a convicted felon.

The law is wrong.

And I hope this case leads to it being changed :)

Why is it wrong?

• She was over 18 when she started the relationship.
  • The other girl was just 14.
  • The legal adult performed a sex act on the barely teen girl in a school restroom.
Which of those facts leads you to believe that she should get special treatment?

I simply don't think it's right that this girl is facing 15 years in prison and spending the rest of her life as a convicted felon.

The law is wrong.

Why is it wrong?

• The legal adult performed a sex act on the barely teen girl in a school restroom.
Which of those facts leads you to believe that she should get special treatment?

I don't think she should get special treatment.

The law is wrong.

Why is it wrong?

Exactly. Society is not going to feminize the legal code because of what mothers and teen girls believe should be their right to "love" whom they want regardless of age differences. The 18 year old will get the treatment her sexual predation earned her.

The children are not in charge.

The voters make the law and last I checked the change.org petition had over 300,000 signatures, the DA had to shut down his email and phone because he received so many calls about this case and a republican Florida rep has stated he wants the law changed.

I'm not talking about a "my kid" exception, I'm talking about changing an unjust law. There was a time when we used to chop the hands off of thieves. Yes it was the law, but it wasn't a fair or just punishment.

Could that be because the family of the 18 year old are misrepresenting the facts of the case? And that they are deliberately making this into a homosexual rights story instead of a sex offense?

Not that I blame them doing that, I would myself it it was my daughter, but the rest of us should stick to the actual facts.

The voters make the law and last I checked the change.org petition had over 300,000 signatures, the DA had to shut down his email and phone because he received so many calls about this case and a republican Florida rep has stated he wants the law changed.

I'm not talking about a "my kid" exception, I'm talking about changing an unjust law. There was a time when we used to chop the hands off of thieves. Yes it was the law, but it wasn't a fair or just punishment.

Could that be because the family of the 18 year old are misrepresenting the facts of the case? And that they are deliberately making this into a homosexual rights story instead of a sex offense?

Not that I blame them doing that, I would myself it it was my daughter, but the rest of us should stick to the actual facts.

I'm a bit slow.
What does any of this have to do with gay rights?

I agree that they are using the homosexual angle to swing public opinion. However, I would feel the same about the law no matter the gender of the kids involved.

So all the 18 year old men that got slapped with the same law were all put upon, or was that different?

My question is what changes would you make? Keep in mind it has to apply to both sexes.

I would make it a misdemeanor if they are no more than 4 years apart, which is the law in my home state.

Are you sure she is less than 4 years older than the other girl?

My question is what changes would you make? Keep in mind it has to apply to both sexes.

I would make it a misdemeanor if they are no more than 4 years apart, which is the law in my home state.

So you would have no problem with the girl having a conviction and probable registration as a sex offender?

I'm a bit slow.
What does any of this have to do with gay rights?

Kaitlyn is a wonderful girl who is not guilty of anything other than a high school romance, but is being prosecuted for 2 felony counts of “lewd and lascivious battery on a child 12--16 years of age,” because she has a girlfriend.

Free Kate

Yes.

Their ages right now are 18 and 15.

Again, my opinion is on the law, this case simply highlights what I feel is an overly harsh punishment.

Yes.

Again, my opinion is on the law, this case simply highlights what I feel is an overly harsh punishment.

At the time of the crime they were 18 and 14. But lets ignore that right? As for legal age of consent that is 16. Any 18 year old that has sex with a person under 16 faces the same charges. Pretty cut and dried.

Kaitlyn is a wonderful girl who is not guilty of anything other than a high school romance, but is being prosecuted for 2 felony counts of “lewd and lascivious battery on a child 12--16 years of age,” because she has a girlfriend.

Free Kate

...sure. Okay.
That's... alrighty then.

Let them play that angle, and see how many people give not one fuck about whether or not she was with another girl.

So you would have no problem with the girl having a conviction and probable registration as a sex offender?

The girl in this case obviously broke the law, and the punishment is very clear.

I don't think that the law is right. And if I could change it, I wouldn't take issue to it being a misdemeanor offense that doesn't include registering as a sex offender.

The girl in this case obviously broke the law, and the punishment is very clear.

I don't think that the law is right. And if I could change it, I wouldn't take issue to it being a misdemeanor offense that doesn't include registering as a sex offender.

I think I just realized why people are arguing about that Amy.
Allowed for this exception could possibly open the door for "why not 19/20/21 year olds?" I'm not saying that'll happen, but I can see it as a possibility. After all, mentally speaking, there's not much difference between someone who's 22 and someone who's 16.

Maybe in this case everyone else is right and it's best to let things be. It's unfortunate, but I don't want it to be legal for someone my age to boink a 14-year old.

Should Kate be charged, yes. But the possible punishment is way too severe. I've always thought that statutory rape cases involving an 18 year old had too severe of a punisment.

An 18 year old with a 14 year old should not be charged the same as a 40 year old with a 14 year old. The charges should be more in line with the difference in age.

I agree that an 18 year old is not a 40 year old.

But an 18 year old has no business assaulting a 14 year old; yes, it is assault because a 14 year old cannot consent legally.

The law is there to protect us from others' nastiness, silliness, ignorance, and stupidity.

I would have no problem if the older girl is not tagged as a sex offender, but if she did the crime she can do the time.

Yes.

Then she is covered by Florida law already, and can petition to have her name removed from the sex offender registry when she completes probation.

Forum List

Back