Let's hypothesize what a "god" actually is

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
If we allow for deities to literally exist, then they must have an orign and backstory. They have to have evolved on some planet somewhere in the universe. If your idea of a god is some kind of unexplained spiritual being who popped into existence one day then explain that. If, like me, you think maybe ancient humans encountered beings they couldn't explain (i.e. aliens) and lacking the idea of aliens from another planet took to calling them gods, angels, demons, etc. explain their orign.

Given the various religious descriptions of gods, namely how they seem interested in us, one might assume their orign and evolution is similar to our own, but much further along. Otherwise their being interested in us would be difficult to rationalize. Further, since they seem benevolent and akin to parents, one might conclude something in their history led to that nature. If they were simply like us, but with better technology I dare say we wouldn't be here right now, and they would be having wiped us out and taken over our planet. That we still exist after encounters with gods and divine beings suggests they're vastly superior to us, that our ideal little planet wasn't something they needed.

When reading the Bible's descriptions of encounters with divinity be it G-d, or angels, if we remove the divine aspect and replace those descriptions with more realistic 'aliens' and alien technology it's much more believable. The only alternative is it's all lies, and that seems unlikely. I think something was going on, and ancient authors used those words they had and understood the best they can. So instead of aliens, 'gods' interacted with them.

But that they were 'gods' instead of simply some strangers from far away (foreigners they recognized as other people et al. instead of 'godly beings') suggests vastly superior technology as well as physical appearences obviously 'not from this planet.'

Where they might be from is anybody's guess. Theorectical propulsion methods like literal warp drives right out of Star Trek are supposedly possible, just hugely impractical. But if physics allows something, we might conclude far older species might have achieved such technology. So they could be from just about anywhere in the galaxy. I don't think it'd make much sense to explore outside your own home galaxy, but who knows. There's certainly pleanty of stars and planets within a few thousand light-years of Earth. And anyone who could traverse interstellar distances would be for all intents and purposes god-like even to us today.

Bottom line though is if accounts of gods are to be believed as literal events, then they have to be from somewhere and possess physical bodies, and the technology required to have gotten here from some other star system. Believing in G-d as a ghost of sorts who can simply wish things into reality might well be the case, but isn't much fun to think about since Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie already kinda covered it. :)

If we allow for deities to literally exist, then they must have an orign and backstory.

???....why?......
Good question. A deity is nothing more than a psychological projection of the idealized human being. It was man who invented the concept of God(s) in his own image(ination)--not the reverse. Therefore, gods have existed in the minds of man as long as humans have inhabited this planet. As such, everyone's 'image' of what a God actually is, is entirely subjective.

“The divine being is nothing else than the human being, or rather, the human nature purified, freed from the limits of the individual man, made objective – i.e., contemplated and revered as another, a distinct being. All the attributes of the divine nature are, therefore, attributes of the human nature.” ((Ludwig Feuerbach)

“at bottom God is nothing other than an exalted father, the infantile projection of the human need for protection." (Freud).

Thread starts with a false premise. One does not have to assume a god originated on some other planet, or evolved. Most assume God has existed forever. Thread dismissed. If you want to stimulate conversation, don't make assumptions based on your own beliefs then claim they are fact that everybody must acknowledge.

Last edited:
If we allow for deities to literally exist, then they must have an orign and backstory. They have to have evolved on some planet somewhere in the universe. If your idea of a god is some kind of unexplained spiritual being who popped into existence one day then explain that.

In my view, gods are distributed entities created communally by human minds interacting socially. Think of gods as sophisticated 'memes' that can maintain their own values and goals above and beyond the capacity - or even comprehension - of individual believers.

his dog has him well trained....bark once, he opens the door so he can use the yard....bark twice, he gets fed......he doesn't think he's a god, he thinks he's a remote control device........

• Thanks
Reactions: Vox
Let's hypothesize what a "god" actually is

a god is a sinless / pure Spirit of worthy .... immortally residing in the Everlasting.

Bottom line though is if accounts of gods are to be believed as literal events, then they have to be from somewhere and possess physical bodies, and the technology required to have gotten here from some other star system. Believing in G-d as a ghost of sorts who can simply wish things into reality might well be the case, but isn't much fun to think about since Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie already kinda covered it. :)

Forgive me if I am wrong but you have seemed to have left out the fact that during the times of which the Bible speaks it was thought that human beings could be gods.

It is also evident from the archeological record that there were more advanced civilizations at different times in different places whose beliefs and technological advances are only hinted at who if suddenly appeared out of the sky would seem like gods to simple nomadic people whose civilizations may have been completely wiped out after some sort of cataclysm of which the story of Noah relates which the crater on the bottom of the Indian ocean that dates to the approximate time of the story of Gilgamesh seems to confirm and the aftermath could easily explain a world wide deluge that would have wiped out many inland and coastal civilizations.

Simply put, one doesn't have to account for the logical and practical improbabilities of people visiting from other planets and the problems presented by traveling vast distances of space and time if those advanced people were just visiting from the other side of this planet.

Last edited:
Answer: A. W. Tozer wrote, “’What is God like?’ If by that question we mean ‘What is God like in Himself?’ there is no answer. If we mean ‘What has God disclosed about Himself that the reverent reason can comprehend?’ there is, I believe, an answer both full and satisfying.”

Tozer is right in that we cannot know what God is with respect to Himself. The book of Job declares, “Can you discover the depths of God? Can you discover the limits of the Almighty? They are high as the heavens, what can you do? Deeper than Sheol, what can you know?” (Job 11:7–8).

However, we can ask what God has revealed about Himself in His Word and in creation that “the reverent reason” can grasp.

When Moses was directed by God to go to the Egyptian Pharaoh and demand the release of the Israelites, Moses asked God, “Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you.’ Now they may say to me, ‘What is His name?’ What shall I say to them?” (Exodus 3:13).

The answer God gave Moses was simple, yet very revealing: “God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM’; and He said, ‘Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, “I AM has sent me to you”’” (Exodus 3:14). The Hebrew text in verse 14 literally says, “I be that I be.”

What is God?

Thread starts with a false premise. One does not have to assume a god originated on some other planet, or evolved. Most assume God has existed forever. Thread dismissed. If you want to stimulate conversation, don't make assumptions based on your own beliefs then claim they are fact that everybody must acknowledge.
as always, your comment is based on a false premise..assumption is not evidence.

EVERYTHING EVER SAID, WRITTEN ETC..ABOUT GOD IS A FALSE PREMISE...

Last edited:
as always, your comment is based on a false premise..assumption is not evidence.

The authors of the stories of the Old Testament invented an angry, wrathful god. The authors of the New Testament introduced psychology. :)

The authors of the stories of the Old Testament invented an angry, wrathful god. The authors of the New Testament introduced psychology. :)

Hey, if you were herding goats and minding your own business 6,000 years ago and right out of the blue a meteor slammed into the middle of the Indian Ocean and wiped every coastal and many inland civilizations off the map, it would seem that someone up there somewhere was pretty pissed off.

Hey, if you were herding goats and minding your own business 6,000 years ago and right out of the blue a meteor slammed into the middle of the Indian Ocean and wiped every coastal and many inland civilizations off the map, it would seem that someone up there somewhere was pretty pissed off.
lol agreed. The only difference would be the god of psychology would explain it away as a mental disorder. :)

Last edited:

true...but as with all unexpected events the facts emerge later...

lol agreed. The only difference would be the god of psychology would explain it away as a mental disorder. :)

LOL....You should try to judge your own ancestors more kindly. It would have been perfectly rational relevant to the times to believe in an angry God since most everything really disappeared after an actual impact event and resulting worldwide deluge after something terrible came down from the sky.

It would have been extremely irrational to believe in a kind, loving and benevolent God for thousands of years, after such a cataclysm..

Burckle Crater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back