Let's Talk About The Choke Hold

Another black guy was killed this past weekend.

The dude was drunk and passed out in his car in a Wendy's parking lot, blocking the drive-thru.

When the cops showed up, they spent 40 minutes dealing with him.

40 minutes. That's a long time to tie up two policemen.

The cops were very patient with this guy. And the guy was cooperative during that 40 minutes.

But the second a pair of handcuffs touched his wrists, the dude went crazy. The two cops spent the next several minutes struggling with this guy.

The cops were fit. And yet they could not get this guy under control. He got the better of them despite being drunk.

This is not a reflection on the cops. A maniac can take up to 5 people to subdue him. Especially if you don't allow them to use a choke hold.

If you watch the video of the fight, the cops refrained from using a choke hold on the dude, and he was able to not only get away, he was able to disarm them of their taser. It's just luck that is what they had in their hands for him to take and not a gun.

As I watched, I said to my son, "If they used a choke hold on him, that dude would be alive today."

My son hates the cops. He's had some run-ins with them. :D

But he saw my point.

I've never had an opinion of the choke hold. I know some people have been hurt by choke holds, and I know the rare person has been killed by the choke hold.

But that fight would have been over in seconds if those cops used it. And the dude would be alive.

He would be alive if he didn't put up a fight, too, but that's another discussion.
They used a choke hold on Floyd and he died. So, what makes you think a choke hold in this case would have been any different ?
Kneeling on someone's neck is not a choke hold.

Kneeling for almost nine minutes on someone' throat is not a choke hold.

THAT is the difference.

Resist arrest, take a cops taser gun and fire that taser gun at the cop -- that forces the cop to make split second decisions about what type of force to use. In many situations, if a bad guy points a weapon at a cop, if the cop doesn't react instantly and bring down the bad guy, it results in a dead cop. File this under shit happen. It wasn't the cop's fault.
It does boil down to culpability. I have a lot of sympathy for the cop in this case. I put most of the blame on the violent drunk.

He did not deserve to die, though. But just because he didn't deserve to die does not mean the cop should hang. That would just compound the problem, not resolve it.

This is one of those tragedies in which no one is completely innocent or guilty.

Yep, bad things can happen without a cop being guilty of a crime. And saying "the cop didn't commit a crime" doesn't mean "I'm glad that black guy is dead"

This is NOT the Floyd situation were the cop just flat out murdered that guy.

He did not deserve to die unless ....

If you resist arrest, take a weapon from a police officer and fire it at him, you cannot reasonably expect any other outcome.

How far can a taser reach?

I keep seeing called a taser but it looks like a stun gun from the video. Those have a reach of 15 feet or so. Not exactly sure what specific piece of equipment this was.

Those aren't multi-use.

No, they are not. However, there was very little time between the officer firing his weapon and being fired at. In all likelihood it was an instantaneous reaction to having a weapon both pointed at him and then discharged. A perfectly reasonable action on the part of the officer.
Drunk drivers kill people.
This one was passed out in a parking lot at Wendy's.

But yes, they kill people. However, this guy had not. He did not deserve to die.

What gets me is that some fuckwit asshole decided to firebomb the Wendy's over this.
He did not deserve to die unless they couldn't tell if it was the taser or a gun but I don't see him grabbing for a gun but using the taser he was already holding.
What do you think would have happened had he tazed the cop? You just think he was going to walk away after that?

After taking one weapon from the cop had he managed to actually disabled one of them then it is likely he would have tried to kill them. And that time with their service weapon.

As Unkotare said, you remove a weapon from a cop and try and use it against him you are going to die - end of story. The cops are justified in that situation.

What if he had a tank? Or yet a bomber or a suit of invisibility?

What if he was mighty mouse? I fail to see the point of any of those silly questions.

If you are going to ask what if's, we can go down that road many times. We are dealing with what is.

The police officer was in no danger but yet he shot a man twice in the back as he was running away.

I did not ask what ifs. YOU did. I pointed out that is is asinine to expect that a violent suspect trying to disable an officer is simply going to stop after he succeeds at doing so.

Well, he was running away. He was shot in the back.

He was 'running away' while he pointed the taser at the cop and fired it.

That is not running away.

If you resist arrest, take a weapon from a police officer and fire it at him, you cannot reasonably expect any other outcome.

I keep seeing called a taser but it looks like a stun gun from the video. Those have a reach of 15 feet or so. Not exactly sure what specific piece of equipment this was.

Those aren't multi-use.

No, they are not. However, there was very little time between the officer firing his weapon and being fired at. In all likelihood it was an instantaneous reaction to having a weapon both pointed at him and then discharged. A perfectly reasonable action on the part of the officer.

But yes, they kill people. However, this guy had not. He did not deserve to die.

What gets me is that some fuckwit asshole decided to firebomb the Wendy's over this.
He did not deserve to die unless they couldn't tell if it was the taser or a gun but I don't see him grabbing for a gun but using the taser he was already holding.
What do you think would have happened had he tazed the cop? You just think he was going to walk away after that?

After taking one weapon from the cop had he managed to actually disabled one of them then it is likely he would have tried to kill them. And that time with their service weapon.

As Unkotare said, you remove a weapon from a cop and try and use it against him you are going to die - end of story. The cops are justified in that situation.

What if he was mighty mouse? I fail to see the point of any of those silly questions.

If you are going to ask what if's, we can go down that road many times. We are dealing with what is.

The police officer was in no danger but yet he shot a man twice in the back as he was running away.

I did not ask what ifs. YOU did. I pointed out that is is asinine to expect that a violent suspect trying to disable an officer is simply going to stop after he succeeds at doing so.

Maybe he did but tasers don't work from across a parking lot.

The dude was drunk and passed out in his car in a Wendy's parking lot, blocking the drive-thru.

The cops were very patient with this guy. And the guy was cooperative during that 40 minutes.

But the second a pair of handcuffs touched his wrists, the dude went crazy. The two cops spent the next several minutes struggling with this guy.

The cops were fit. And yet they could not get this guy under control. He got the better of them despite being drunk.

This is not a reflection on the cops. A maniac can take up to 5 people to subdue him. Especially if you don't allow them to use a choke hold.

If you watch the video of the fight, the cops refrained from using a choke hold on the dude, and he was able to not only get away, he was able to disarm them of their taser. It's just luck that is what they had in their hands for him to take and not a gun.

As I watched, I said to my son, "If they used a choke hold on him, that dude would be alive today."

But he saw my point.

I've never had an opinion of the choke hold. I know some people have been hurt by choke holds, and I know the rare person has been killed by the choke hold.

But that fight would have been over in seconds if those cops used it. And the dude would be alive.

He would be alive if he didn't put up a fight, too, but that's another discussion.

He'd also be alive if the coward hadn't shot him in the back while he was running away.

Those aren't multi-use.

of course they do.

Why tell such an obvious lie?

Tasers generally have 15 foot leads on them.

But he saw my point.

He'd also be alive if the coward hadn't shot him in the back while he was running away.

Who the fuck are you to call him a coward? How long have you worked as a police officer? How many times did you handle the exact same situation differently? It was a tragic, unnecessary outcome, but don’t pretend you’ve been in that officer’s shoes.

But he saw my point.

This is a lie, he was shot because he fired a taser at a cop. The ONLY reason he was shot in the back is because he got himself turned around before the rounds struck him, that is crystal clear from the video.

The lying has to stop.

Those aren't multi-use.

of course they do.

Why tell such an obvious lie?

Tasers generally have 15 foot leads on them.

No, they generally do not. Some types do but they are not the general tasers used.

But he saw my point.

Who the fuck are you to call him a coward? How long have you worked as a police officer? How many times did you handle the exact same situation differently? It was a tragic, unnecessary outcome, but don’t pretend you’ve been in that officer’s shoes.

You shoot someone who is running away....you are a coward.

My son is a cop. He would never shoot a man in the back.

But he saw my point.

This is a lie, he was shot because he fired a taser at a cop. The ONLY reason he was shot in the back is because he got himself turned around before the rounds struck him, that is crystal clear from the video.

The lying has to stop.

Shot in the back while running away. Bad shoot.

But he saw my point.

Did you watch the video, big mouth? And a family member being a police officer gives YOU exactly 0% experience in that situation.

But he saw my point.

i doubt your son is a cop because no cop would ever make sucha stupid blanket statemetnt.

I will say it again. It is quite obvious by viewing the video that the ONLY reason the man was shot in the back was because he twisted around after firing the taser before the bullets hit him.

But leftists simply can't help being dishonest fucks.

I wonder if some of these armchair quarterbacks would be more satisfied if the officers just said "Oh well, I guess he doesn't want to be arrested. Bye! Have a good night!" and he ran over to his sister's house, hopped in her car - drunk and in a panic - and then plowed into another car, killing the entire family in it. I guess it would depend on what color the family was.

I wonder if some of these armchair quarterbacks would be more satisfied if the officers just said "Oh well, I guess he doesn't want to be arrested. Bye! Have a good night!" and he ran over to his sister's house, hopped in her car - drunk and in a panic - and then plowed into another car, killing the entire family in it. I guess it would depend on what color the family was.

That's a fact, if a few black people have to die to expand the political power of the left, that's just the price of things.

IT's no as if they are real people anyway, just slaves to the Democrats.

But he saw my point.

Did you watch the video, big mouth? And a family member being a police officer gives YOU exactly 0% experience in that situation.

I saw the video, asshole. And the reference to my son was simply to shove your "you hate cops" attitude right up your
endlessly contrarian ass. I know what cops go through....and good ones don't freak out and shoot people in the back.

But he saw my point.

I saw the video, asshole. And the reference to my son was simply to shove your "you hate cops" attitude right up your
endlessly contrarian ass. I know what cops go through....and good ones don't freak out and shoot people in the back.

The ONLY person who freaked out was the black guy when he realized that he was looking at quite the stretch if they put those bracelets on him.

If you gave one shit about black lives you would be preaching "don't fight with the police" all day every day because amazingly the black people who are arrested and don't resist remain alive. I wonder how that happens.

If you find yourself in a choke hold, turn your face toward the elbow around your neck....that keeps your windpipe open. If you're still on your feet stab backward at the attacker's eyes with your thumbs and bring your heel up to kick their nuts. If that doesn't work, submit with a tap....if he's trained, he'll let up from the tap...it's ingrained in the training....otherwise you only got a minute or so to say your prayers.

But he saw my point.

The ONLY person who freaked out was the black guy when he realized that he was looking at quite the stretch if they put those bracelets on him.

If you gave one shit about black lives you would be preaching "don't fight with the police" all day every day because amazingly the black people who are arrested and don't resist remain alive. I wonder how that happens.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Yeah, it's bullshit that 2.3M blacks somehow survived being arrested without being shot isn't it?

LOL what is it with leftists hating facts?

Or did you mean that's a bunch of bullshit that more blacks are not killed by police ? I could believe you feel that way.

Forum List

Back