Let's talk about the map

Hillary should keep Biden as VP. That would lock it up.
Possibly. Hillary starts with a winning map from 2012 and just has to play defense. That puts a lot less pressure on her VP pick and Biden was quite popular as a VP for Obama.

The map will not be friendly to Trump

In addition to the states Obama won in 2012, I see Hillary taking North Carolina, Georgia, Arizona and Utah
qobmV.png

Also a blowout. I'm curious though, what puts Georgia in play? I get the Latino vote might put Arizona in play, Obama won North Carolina in 2008, and Mormons do not like Trump, but I don't get the idea of a Georgia flip.

Georgia is a curious state. The black vote can dominate, but for the most part, they don't vote
I see the womens vote being a big factor in addition to the minority vote
The ad playing Trump's quotes about women has been pretty devastating among female voters when it comes to Trump, so I'd concede its possible.

In addition to the states Obama won in 2012, I see Hillary taking North Carolina, Georgia, Arizona and Utah
qobmV.png

Also a blowout. I'm curious though, what puts Georgia in play? I get the Latino vote might put Arizona in play, Obama won North Carolina in 2008, and Mormons do not like Trump, but I don't get the idea of a Georgia flip.
High African American population and a more educated populace than the rest of the south.
I recall talk of it being in play, and possibly flipping in 2008. It didn't happen then. Could it now? I don't know.
I don't think it will flip but the demographics of Georgia are rapidly changing.

Doc, our state ignored Trump and Clinton and chose Cruz/Sanders in the caucuses. Your map says we're Democrats, but we have a Republican governor in his second term and a much respected Republican Senator we've been electing for twenty years; the other is an Independent. We have a very high number of Independent voters who couldn't vote in the primaries, and I think our color could change this year. If the majority wants an outsider, who is left in that category but Trump?
Which state is that? I'm happy to take input on the map.

Again, I started with the 2012 Obama/Romney map and flipped only the states listed. If the flips are bad or the maps changed, that changes the exercise.
Maine. Don't change the map based on just my word, though.

Possibly. Hillary starts with a winning map from 2012 and just has to play defense. That puts a lot less pressure on her VP pick and Biden was quite popular as a VP for Obama.

There are not many Democrats in the on-deck circle
Hillary, Biden and Bernie are ancient

Hillary needs to anoint an heir apparent who can take the reigns once she is done. Someone like a Julian Castro

There are not many Democrats in the on-deck circle
Hillary, Biden and Bernie are ancient

Hillary needs to anoint an heir apparent who can take the reigns once she is done. Someone like a Julian Castro
That would be the optimal nominee. The DNC has seen its bench hammered and needs new blood getting some attention.

:rofl: I think anywhere Rump has "business ties" it works against him, not for him.

I can't understand the buzz about Kasich as his VP. You don't pick a running mate who's smarter than you are -- makes you look bad. He needs a dimwitted Hispanic female. I'm thinking Kim Kardashian. Who's not Hispanic but facts seem to be irrelevant in this campaign anyway.
Trump did carry all those states I flipped in the primary other than Ohio, which Kasich carried. I'm no Trump fan and I'll be voting Hillary, but that map shows its not impossible for Trump to win.

What states Rump carried in primaries has no meaning, since he had no competition.
Actually he had plenty of competition until mass media made sure that Rump got all the attention, thereby effectively shutting everybody else out.

Which is a caustic irony since it means that those primary voters who went for Rump were in effect voting for Same Old Thing Mainstream Media -- the entity that runs this country like a puppet on a string.

qobmV.png

High African American population and a more educated populace than the rest of the south.

Eh -- once you get out of Atlanta, not really. North Carolina much more so. A lot more cities.

qobmV.png

Eh -- once you get out of Atlanta, not really. North Carolina much more so. A lot more cities.
Atlanta has the bulk of the population

qobmV.png

Not really -- 450k out of ten million in the state.

qobmV.png

And if the demographics are right, one large city can come close to carrying a state. That's what essentially happened in Indiana in 2008 as I understand it. Obama won big in Indianapolis, though he had some help from other areas of the state too.

qobmV.png

How many in the greater metropolitan area?

qobmV.png

Five million or so in greater Atlanta. But suburbs everwhere tend to vote red, just as cities vote blue.

Five million or so in greater Atlanta. But suburbs everwhere tend to vote red, just as cities vote blue.
Suburbs are the new swing areas.

Suburbs are the new swing areas.

In the future maybe. But on the original point I don't see Georgia as a state as much different from Alabama or Mississippi, except that it's big city is bigger. It's got more in common with them than it does with Carolina.

qobmV.png

And if the demographics are right, one large city can come close to carrying a state. That's what essentially happened in Indiana in 2008 as I understand it. Obama won big in Indianapolis, though he had some help from other areas of the state too.

Chicago....

Forum List

Back