Liberal War on Coal Industry is Now Hurting RR Workers.

My facts crushed your statement earlier....and you expect to be taken serious? You pulled something out of your ass and got crushed
If you want facts look here. Has there been a production decline? Yes. Is it a radical decline? No.

Dude I invested in coal for nearly four years, I saw what happened...you're preaching to the pulpit.

Liberals love killing jobs and wrecking the economy. Fortunately the liberal cockroach infestation will soon be out of power.

President Obama’s war on coal has bagged its biggest trophy to date: the bankruptcy filing by the largest U.S. coal company, Peabody Energy.
Make no mistake about it, though, Peabody’s management and that of the rest of coal industry bears much of the blame for its own demise. It ought to serve as a lesson for everyone else targeted by take-no-prisoners progressives.

Peabody’s bankruptcy filing follows that of other major coal companies including, Alpha Natural Resources, Arch Coal, and Patriot Coal. The irony is that coal is actually the world’s fastest growing source of energy, according to the International Energy Agency. So what happened?

Even before Obama vowed to “bankrupt” the coal industry in a 2008 interview with the editorial board of the San Francisco Chronicle, the coal industry had already allowed the seeds of its destruction to take root. It had failed to believe global warming hysteria was an existential threat. The industry thought the demand for cheap and reliable electricity combined with the power of politicians representing coal states would suffice as a defense against attack. But contrary to the myths propagated by global warming activists, the coal industry was never a serious funder of climate skeptics.

Promise Kept: Barack Obama Breaks the Coal Industry - Breitbart

Sassy as you would agree any miner below ground should be paid double what they are paid to go underground and mine coal. Double pay overnight.....their lives do matter.

Sending people underground...prehistoric. Who wants to sacrifice their health for anything less than a hundred bucks per hour.

Hillary: Hey STFU so some meaningless workers lost their jobs tough shit just suck on it you peons.

As coal cools off, railroads close tracks and cut jobs across the country
Just as lousy trade agreements such as Pacific Trade and NAFTA have ripple effect on workers in other industries so does the liberal war on coal being championed by Billary. If your a working class American the Democratic Party has dumped you over the side of the PC boat. Hillary and Democrats are concerned about two guys being able to marry and make out in public than providing well paying blue collar jobs. Guess most of the coal miners in West Virginia are white males so in the eyes of urban and suburban Dem's they are the enemy.
Just as lousy trade agreements such as Pacific Trade and NAFTA have ripple effect on workers in other industries so does the liberal war on coal being championed by Billary. If your a working class American the Democratic Party has dumped you over the side of the PC boat. Hillary and Democrats are concerned about two guys being able to marry and make out in public than providing well paying blue collar jobs. Guess most of the coal miners in West Virginia are white males so in the eyes of urban and suburban Dem's they are the enemy.
B92 wants to pull funding on cancer research. If we find a cure for cancer do you know how many Doctors and Nurses would be put out of work?

Not long ago Warren Buffet gave a speech in Dallas bragging about how the number of jobs on railroads had been slashed over the years from over 2 million to around 200,000. His railroad is carrying as much coal as it ever did. He's closing one power plant now, because he's getting a big giant government subsidy to., plus, some helpful Democrats killed the home solar subsidy and buyback programs to help him out.

Warren Buffet’s Sweet Solar Energy Deal - Funded by U.S. Taxpayers | OilPrice.com

Buffett's Utility Wins as Sun Sets on Nevada Home Solar Subsidy

Why Buffett Bet A Billion On Solar | OilPrice.com

the subsidies will effectively amount to more than he paid for the coal plants, of course; he doesn't gamble, he plans ahead. Life is good for those who spread cash around to Obama and the Clintons.

You're all over the map, your boy vowed to kill coal and he did it. Furthermore the lying bitch Clinton has vowed to carry on the war.
What exactly did he do? The US produces more energy now and uses less energy because we're more efficient. We also are producing less carbon emissions. Sounds like an Obama win-win-win to me.

Total U.S. energy production increased for the sixth consecutive year. According to data in EIA's most recent Monthly Energy Review, energy production reached a record 89 quadrillion British thermal units (Btu), equivalent to 91% of total U.S. energy consumption. Liquid fuels production drove the increase, with an 8% increase for crude oil and a 9% increase for natural gas plant liquids. Natural gas production also increased 5%. These gains more than offset a 10% decline in coal production.

Other highlights for electricity generation in 2015 include:

Net imports continued to decline. U.S. primary energy net imports declined for the 10th consecutive year. Imports rose 2%, but that increase was outpaced by a 6% increase in exports.
Petroleum products accounted for 71% of U.S. primary energy exports.

Coal led the decrease in consumption. Primary energy consumption declined 1% between 2014 and 2015. Coal consumption fell 13% over the same period. The decrease was mostly offset by a 3% increase in natural gas consumption and a 1% increase in petroleum consumption. Coal's decline in the electric power sector was the major factor in the changing fuel mix of energy consumption. The industrial sector has also seen
a shift from coal to natural gas consumption in recent years.

Primary energy consumption in the residential and commercial sectors decreased by 9% and 6%, respectively, in 2015. This decrease was likely attributable to a milder winter in 2015, as heating degree days (a measure used to calculate temperature-related energy demand) fell by 10% year-on-year. Meanwhile, transportation sector consumption increased by 2%. The
electric power and industrial sectors each saw modest declines in consumption compared with 2014.

Carbon dioxide emissions fell. After increasing in 2013 and 2014, U.S. carbon dioxide emissions from energy consumption fell by 2% in 2015. An increase in natural gas used for power generation, largely replacing coal, was the primary reason for this decrease,
as natural gas is less carbon-intensive than coal.

As for the coal industry, it will do fine; plenty of places to export it to.

Those Libs are doing a really bad job of waging war. Coal production in the US is about the same as it ever was. The number of workers has declined but mostly as a result of the switch from subsurface to surface mining. If you actually read your link you'd have learned the real reasons for the layoffs: Warm weather, low prices hit energy rail traffic in 2016. Or you thinks the Libs are now controlling the weather?

Then again....no

main.png
ohhhh, I LOVE GRAPHS

350px-US_Natural_Gas_Production.svg.png

Me too when they deal with the thread topic....dope

Now what do you think is replacing coal for many areas? Cheaper, cleaner, and far less polluting. In the meantime, the price of electricity produced by wind and solar is continuing to come down, wind is already less than coal, and solar at the utility level is at parity with coal. As Tesla, Levo, and Eos bring their gridscale batteries online, you are going to see the coal plants steadily shut down and replaced by gas, wind, and solar. Strictly for economic reasons.

Really?

China coal consumption drops again

China’s coal consumption fell for the second year in a row, government data showed Monday, as the world’s biggest polluter attempts to tackle chronic pollution that accompanied economic growth.

Coal use fell 3.7% last year compared to 2014 levels, according to a report from China’s National Bureau of Statistics (NBS). The drop follows a 2.9% decrease in 2014.

China’s rise to the world’s second largest economy was largely powered by cheap, dirty coal. As growth slows, the country has had a difficult time weaning itself off the fuel, even as the pollution it causes wreaks havoc on the environment and public health.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................

Nearly 300 Chinese cities failed to meet national standards for air quality last year, according to a Greenpeace report.

The green group said that in 2015 generating capacity grew by a “stunning” 34% for wind power and 74% for solar power.

Looks to me like China, the prospective market for US coal, is weaning itself off of coal.

Really?

China coal consumption drops again

China’s coal consumption fell for the second year in a row, government data showed Monday, as the world’s biggest polluter attempts to tackle chronic pollution that accompanied economic growth.

Coal use fell 3.7% last year compared to 2014 levels, according to a report from China’s National Bureau of Statistics (NBS). The drop follows a 2.9% decrease in 2014.

China’s rise to the world’s second largest economy was largely powered by cheap, dirty coal. As growth slows, the country has had a difficult time weaning itself off the fuel, even as the pollution it causes wreaks havoc on the environment and public health. Sooner or later, natural gas will become more scarce, and solar can't replace everything as a source; solar is itself dependent on certain kinds of raw material, and only two countries have it in any quantity.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................

Nearly 300 Chinese cities failed to meet national standards for air quality last year, according to a Greenpeace report.

The green group said that in 2015 generating capacity grew by a “stunning” 34% for wind power and 74% for solar power.

Looks to me like China, the prospective market for US coal, is weaning itself off of coal.

Yes, really. The coal industry is slumping because production everywhere in the world is slumping, and it will pick up when other economies do. Natural gas won't be plentiful forever, and solar is itself dependent on certain kinds of raw materials, and only two countries have it in any quantity. It isn't going to expand forever,either.

Last edited:
If you read article CSX and others cite FEDERAL REGULATIONS.
I won't apologize for wanting my kids to have limited mercury and toxic air emissions but it was the trend to frac'ing and the resultant increase in natural gas production that is killing coal prices. No liberals required.
How much are you willing to pay for "limited mercury and toxic air emissions?" $1000/yr? $10,000/yr? $50,000/yr? If you claim "yes" to the last one, you're a god damned liar.

I won't apologize for wanting my kids to have limited mercury and toxic air emissions but it was the trend to frac'ing and the resultant increase in natural gas production that is killing coal prices. No liberals required.
How much are you willing to pay for "limited mercury and toxic air emissions?" $1000/yr? $10,000/yr? $50,000/yr? If you claim "yes" to the last one, you're a god damned liar.
I would certainly be willing to pay an amount equal to the costs of having mercury and toxic air emissions: increased health costs, lost productivity costs, clean up costs, etc. Would any rational person disagree with this? Do you?

I would certainly be willing to pay an amount equal to the costs of having mercury and toxic air emissions: increased health costs, lost productivity costs, clean up costs, etc. Would any rational person disagree with this? Do you?
These emissions are already so miniscule that any attempt to reduce them further will cost far more than the cost of any health problems they cause. There is absolutely no evidence that in their current concentrations they are causing any health problems at all.

These emissions are already so miniscule that any attempt to reduce them further will cost far more than the cost of any health problems they cause. There is absolutely no evidence that in their current concentrations they are causing any health problems at all.
Can you back up your assertions? I can, a study found the $131 billion in damages in the year 2011. My share would be about $500/year. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Air pollution caused by energy production in the U.S. caused at least $131 billion in damages in the year 2011 alone, a new analysis concludes — but while the number sounds grim, it’s also a sign of improvement. In 2002, the damages totaled as high as $175 billion, and the decline in the past decade highlights the success of more stringent emissions regulations on the energy sector while also pointing out the need to continue cracking down.
“The bulk of the cost of emissions is the result of health impacts — so morbidity and particularly mortality,” said the paper’s lead author,
Paulina Jaramillo, an assistant professor of engineering and public policy at Carnegie Mellon University.

Forum List

Back