Liberals Cause Their Own Homeless Problem

A major cause is the high price of land in places like NYC. In Helena you can find a cheap home in a trailer park, that is not an option in NYC
Yeah, that's right. The cost of living is much lower in Montana than in the big city here in NY. You could probably survive in Montana earning $10-$12 hourly, working six days a week.

A capitalist is someone who owns the means of production (the facilities, machinery) and employs human labor to produce goods for him or her, to sell in the marketplace for a profit. It's essentially, production for a profit. The working-class sells their labor-power/presence/time/their safety/health and lives, to a capitalist for a wage. The working-class aren't capitalists, they're in a completely different socioeconomic class, with its own unique needs and interests. The capitalist employers who Adam Smith called "masters" and their "employees", have different goals.
Many such capitalists began as wage earners. That's how they gained the capital to become capitalists.

Many such capitalists began as wage earners. That's how they gained the capital to become capitalists.
Yes, there are many capitalists who were once wage-earners and not all of them are now millionaires or billionaires. A man works twenty years as a cook in a restaurant, saves some money, builds and protects his credit, and then opens his own diner, and he hires staff..etc. There are many different factors that contribute to people moving from one socioeconomic class to another, and it's more complex than simply working hard. There are tens of millions of Americans right now that work two full-time jobs, and they can hardly make ends meet. It's not as simple as just "working hard".

About 60% of the rich were born into wealth. Over half. Another 35% or so were born and raised in upper-middle-class families, with plenty of resources and a good upbringing. The remaining 5% started poor, working the docks. There are 22 million millionaires in America (6% of the population), so about 1.1 million millionaires in America started out with a box of saltine crackers and nonetheless became rich thanks to their hard work, their talents and God's grace. A few became rich selling drugs, and those usually end up in jail or dead. Satan can make people rich too.

There are 720 billionaires in America. It's a lot easier to become a millionaire than a billionaire.

Last edited:
Yes, there are many capitalists who were once wage-earners and not all of them are now millionaires or billionaires. A man works twenty years as a cook in a restaurant, saves some money, builds and protects his credit, and then opens his own diner, and he hires staff..etc. There are many different factors that contribute to people moving from one socioeconomic class to another, and it's more complex than simply working hard. There are tens of millions of Americans right now that work two full-time jobs, and they can hardly make ends meet. It's not as simple as just "working hard".

About 60% of the rich were born into wealth. Over half. Another 35% or so were born and raised in upper-middle-class families, with plenty of resources and a good upbringing. The remaining 5% started poor, working the docks. There are 22 million millionaires in America (6% of the population), so about 1.1 million millionaires in America started out with a box of saltine crackers and nonetheless became rich thanks to their hard work, their talents and God's grace. A few became rich selling drugs, and those usually end up in jail or dead. Satan can make people rich too.

There are 720 billionaires in America. It's a lot easier to become a millionaire than a billionaire.
My sources say that only 21-35 percent inherited their wealth. What is your source?

I'm a working man with a HS education. I became a millionaire at age 80. If I hadn't pissed away a fortune in my younger days, I could have been a multi-millionaire by age 50. Based on my own life experiences I have little sympathy for the poor in America (although I do support many charities that aid the poor, but more out of a sense of duty than compassion).

Last edited:
My sources say that only 21-35 percent inherited their wealth.

My sources say that only 21-35 percent inherited their wealth. What is your source?

I'm a working man with a HS education. I became a millionaire at age 80. If I hadn't pissed away a fortune in my younger days, I could have been a multi-millionaire by age 50. Based on my own life experiences I have little sympathy for the poor in America (although I do support many charities that aid the poor, but more out of a sense of duty than compassion).

There are different sources and ways to measure it. I consider anyone born into a household with a six-figure yearly income as being born into wealth. It's quite easy to become wealthy when someone is born with plenty of resources. Some of the best-known billionaires, from Bezos to Musk, got plenty of assistance from their well-to-do parents.

Last edited:
It’s a myth homelessness is primarily a problem in blue states — areas with an abundance of services available to people who won’t help themselves. This falsehood is related to the belief homeless people in a particular area aren’t local. In reality, homelessness touches every part of the United States, from urban to rural areas, from the coast to the mountains, from blue states to red states. Unhoused people may not be visible, but they are in your community.

California, Oregon, New York, and the cities within them receive significant attention regarding reporting on the homelessness crisis. But these blue states aren’t the only places with many residents experiencing homelessness. Here’s a list of the top 15 states with the highest number of unhoused people:

1. California: 161,548
  2. New York: 91,271
  3. Florida: 27,487
  4. Texas: 27,229
  5. Washington: 22,923
  6. Massachusetts: 17,975
  7. Oregon: 14,655
  8. Pennsylvania: 13,375
  9. Arizona: 10,979
  10. Ohio: 10,655
  11. Illinois: 10,431
  12. Georgia: 10,234
  13. Colorado: 9,846
  14. New Jersey: 9,662
  15. North Carolina: 9,280
  16. Debunking Myths: Homelessness is a blue state problem - Pallet Shelter
Wherever you find illegal drugs there is homelessness

Putting democrats in charge of the homeless problem only creates more homelessness

I remember as a lad when my father told me "son, money is easy to make; an idiot can make money. But money is hard to keep!"

I have several millionaires in my family. They worked their way to wealth. We all started being raised in Cleveland, and those members got a good education or made very risky investments. None of them got a free ride because our parents were raised dirt poor. They didn't even have indoor plumbing or heat. They spent many a winter nights adding logs to the fire. It was either that or freeze to death in the middle of the night.

But as my father told me, you need more than just a good job. It's what you do with the money you make afterwards. Most people start a family with one or more children. The CDC estimates that it costs 233K to raise each child in a mildde-class environment today, and that doesn't include college. Some (especially those educated in finances) opt to have no children so they can take that money and invest it instead. It's why the white population in the US is shrinking.

Wherever you find illegal drugs there is homelessness

Putting democrats in charge of the homeless problem only creates more homelessness
Both Republicans and Democrats are equally bad in their own way when it comes to dealing with homelessness.

I remember as a lad when my father told me "son, money is easy to make; an idiot can make money. But money is hard to keep!"

I have several millionaires in my family. They worked their way to wealth. We all started being raised in Cleveland, and those members got a good education or made very risky investments. None of them got a free ride because our parents were raised dirt poor. They didn't even have indoor plumbing or heat. They spent many a winter nights adding logs to the fire. It was either that or freeze to death in the middle of the night.

But as my father told me, you need more than just a good job. It's what you do with the money you make afterwards. Most people start a family with one or more children. The CDC estimates that it costs 233K to raise each child in a mildde-class environment today, and that doesn't include college. Some (especially those educated in finances) opt to have no children so they can take that money and invest it instead. It's why the white population in the US is shrinking.

America is no longer the same country it was 50, 70 years ago. This is another country and it's falling apart, socially and financially as well. It's not going to survive. What I see happening in the next few decades is America splitting up into several nations. I would be very surprised if this country is still one nation, comprised of 50 states, in 2040. Too much division and in a way it's good, because the liberals that are subjecting children to puberty blockers and cutting off the breasts of 14 year old girls to turn them into "boys", don't deserve to have a country. Our country has become very sick.

America is no longer the same country it was 50, 70 years ago. This is another country and it's falling apart, socially and financially as well. It's not going to survive. What I see happening in the next few decades is America splitting up into several nations. I would be very surprised if this country is still one nation, comprised of 50 states, in 2040. Too much division and in a way it's good, because the liberals that are subjecting children to puberty blockers and cutting off the breasts of 14 year old girls to turn them into "boys", don't deserve to have a country. Our country has become very sick.

I would agree with you except the financial part. I was a child in the 60's and I can tell you financially, we never had it better. Hell, we create at least one new millionaire every day in lotteries alone. Of course a millionaire today is not like a millionaire in the 60's. There were few and far between back then.

When I thank God for what I have, it's family and being born in the United States of America. Those are the two top blessings I was gifted with. My family is close and this country is the greatest in the world in spite of all our problems.

But I agree with you the US has no choice but to split up into at least two countries. As the left keeps going further left and the right keeps leaning more and more towards constitutionalism, there is no longer any middle-ground. The longer we stay together, the more miserable we will be.

What I've said all along and this article is the proof. And, it's not an article from Fox News. It is an article from the Atlantic, which leans left. Liberals have caused their very own problem. Same holds true with income inequality and a whole slew of other things.

This is the dumbest think I've ever read. There is no shortage of HOUSING in California. There is a shortage of housing which people can afford. BECAUSE THEIR JOBS DON'T PAY ENOUGH MONEY TO COVER THE RENTS.

The problem isn't the cost of construction, the problem is the low wages being paid working Americans.

People are not cutting the breasts off 14 year old girls. This is the insanity that Republicans tell their voters to make them fear Democrats, but is has no basis in fact.

Americans have taken an amazing concept like "free speech" and turned it into a license to lie, and fabricate any ridiculous story they want, and then promote it as "truth". Your problem is that Americans no longer know what's real and what some politician made up to vilify the other side.

This is the dumbest think I've ever read. There is no shortage of HOUSING in California. There is a shortage of housing which people can afford. BECAUSE THEIR JOBS DON'T PAY ENOUGH MONEY TO COVER THE RENTS.

The problem isn't the cost of construction, the problem is the low wages being paid working Americans.

Then why is it in non-Communist states working people CAN afford housing?

Both Republicans and Democrats are equally bad in their own way when it comes to dealing with homelessness.
Not equally bad

Democrats are the primary cause of the problem

They have political control of the places where crime, drug abuse and homelessness are out of control

Not equally bad

Democrats are the primary cause of the problem

They have political control of the places where crime, drug abuse and homelessness are out of control
Kicking the homeless out of your Republican/conservative-run city, by making conditions extremely difficult for them by criminalizing all of their activities and needs (sleeping in the park, panhandling, not expanding Medicaid, defunding social services for the poor, as Republicans often do .etc), only shifts the problem to another city, county or state.

What's the solution for homeless people? Housing. That's #1. Housing. You house them. Homeless shelters don't qualify as housing. That's a cop-out that actually ensures that people don't get the help they need, due to the horrible conditions found in most shelters. I know I work with the homeless and visit homeless shelters on a regular basis.

The second greatest need of the homeless is providing them, even forcing them if necessary, with rehab or some type of mental health care. Most of them need it, so you provide it, and if that entails forcing them into it, then you pass the required legislation, that will allow you to do that. You're going to have to adjudicate the homeless, "institutionalizing" them (i.e. psyche-ward/drug rehab) when warranted under the law.

That way the likelihood of the person you're housing and providing social services to, benefiting from those services, successfully meeting their objective, is much more likely if not ensured. This isn't nuclear physics or rocket science.

Thirdly, decriminalize drug addiction.

I would also add, making the sell of narcotics i.e. drug dealing, a capital crime. But that would probably be the most difficult law to pass and it's not necessary to eliminate homelessness. It would greatly reduce crime and addiction. Why am I so harsh on the dealers? Because working with the homeless, I see firsthand, the destructive consequences of drug addiction. Whoever is selling deadly poison to the public should go to the gallows or stand before a firing squad (I don't equate alcohol or Marijuana, to crack, meth, or street heroin and fentanyl).

Those social services should include, healthcare, with Medicaid or Medicare, and case management through social workers who will meet with them regularly, to connect them to the services that they need. Like Methadone treatment if they need it, drug counseling, local AA or NA meetings, food stamps, transit fare, vocational-job training, employment opportunities.etc. That's the way to get people out of homelessness permenantly.

Not to do the above is to continue with the homelessness and pay more, financially, socially.etc. To do nothing about the homeless situation is more expensive. This isn't something that we can sweep under the rug and ignore. We need to take the bull by the horns and resolve it. Both Republicans and Democrats, aren't doing what we need to do.

Extremely expensive.

Last edited:
Yes, but not until Franklin Roosevelt, before then people died on the streets, and people were told not to help them because it would ruin them, just like the GOP said and did in 1929 which is why the GOP lost federal elections for twenty years. Now you idiots who want to end welfare are suddenly interested in homeless people? You people are liars and have zero interest in helping homeless people.
And before WW2 the country had many homeless drunks.

Kicking the homeless out of your Republican/conservative-run city, by making conditions extremely difficult for them by criminalizing all of their activities and needs (sleeping in the park, panhandling, not expanding Medicaid, defunding social services for the poor, as Republicans often do .etc), only shifts the problem to another city, county or state.

What's the solution for homeless people? Housing. That's #1. Housing. You house them. Homeless shelters don't qualify as housing. That's a cop-out that actually ensures that people don't get the help they need, due to the horrible conditions found in most shelters. I know I work with the homeless and visit homeless shelters on a regular basis.

The second greatest need of the homeless is providing them, even forcing them if necessary, with rehab or some type of mental health care. Most of them need it, so you provide it, and if that entails forcing them into it, then you pass the required legislation, that will allow you to do that. You're going to have to adjudicate the homeless, "institutionalizing" them (i.e. psyche-ward/drug rehab) when warranted under the law.

That way the likelihood of the person you're housing and providing social services to, benefiting from those services, successfully meeting their objective, is much more likely if not ensured. This isn't nuclear physics or rocket science.

Thirdly, decriminalize drug addiction.

I would also add, making the sell of narcotics i.e. drug dealing, a capital crime. But that would probably be the most difficult law to pass and it's not necessary to eliminate homelessness. It would greatly reduce crime and addiction. Why am I so harsh on the dealers, because I see the destructive consequences of drug addiction. Whoever selling poison to the public should go to the gallows or meet the firing squad.

Those social services should include, healthcare, with Medicaid or Medicare, and case management through social workers who will meet with them regularly, to connect them to the services that they need. Like Methadone treatment if they need it, drug counseling, local AA or NA meetings, food stamps, transit fare, vocational-job training, employment opportunities.etc. That's the way to get people out of homelessness permenantly.

Not to do the above is to continue with the homelessness and pay more, financially, socially.etc. To do nothing about the homeless situation is more expensive. This isn't something that we can sweep under the rug and ignore. We need to take the bull by the horns and resolve it. Both Republicans and Democrats, aren't doing what we need to do.

Extremely expensive.

The primary cause of homelessness is mental health driven by drug addiction

Street bums often refuse help if it means they have to give up drugs

Lack of cheap housing is a problem for some who work in places with a high cost of living

Relaxing the impediments to affordable housing by government would help a few people

But not enough to make a noticeable difference

Forum List

Back