Liberals fine veteran $8,000 for displaying american flag at his home

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
More proof liberals hate america.

HOA rules, flag fight could force vet from home | www.ajc.com

June 23, 2014

Flag.JPG

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The Stars and Stripes are at the center of controversy, at least at Larry Murphree's home.

“I want it to go away. It's such a minor little thing and they keep coming after me,” he explained.

“They” is Murphree's homeowner's association. He's lived in the Sweetwater community near Jacksonville, Florida, for years, and been at odds with the HOA for more than two over a small American flag.

The veteran decided to put one in his flower pot, and has been fined as a result.

“They just sent me a letter that says I owe them around $8,000 and they put a foreclosure lien on my house,” Murphree said.

But is it possible, that an HOA can fine and then put a foreclosure lien on a home?
“There’s an actual Florida statute that says he can display this flag,” legal and safety expert, Dale Carson said.

Federal law from 2005 also backs that up.

June 23, 2014

Flag.JPG

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The Stars and Stripes are at the center of controversy, at least at Larry Murphree's home.

“I want it to go away. It's such a minor little thing and they keep coming after me,” he explained.

“They” is Murphree's homeowner's association. He's lived in the Sweetwater community near Jacksonville, Florida, for years, and been at odds with the HOA for more than two over a small American flag.

The veteran decided to put one in his flower pot, and has been fined as a result.

“They just sent me a letter that says I owe them around $8,000 and they put a foreclosure lien on my house,” Murphree said.

But is it possible, that an HOA can fine and then put a foreclosure lien on a home?
“There’s an actual Florida statute that says he can display this flag,” legal and safety expert, Dale Carson said.

Right because only those evil liberals form HOA's

my god you're a useless hack

is that flag touching the ground, btw?

June 23, 2014

Flag.JPG

It had to have been liberals that did this. There is a law in Florida that only liberals are allowed to be officers of HOA's.

If this guy didn't want an HOA up his ass he picked the wrong place to live. You aren't even allowed to have your own grandchildren stay at your own home for more than 90 days.
What are the rules for visiting grandchildren?
This is an age-restricted community; no one under the age of 19 may stay overnight for more than 90 days in any consecutive 12-month period. If someone under the age of 19 is using the amenities, as permitted in the rules, then he/she must be accompanied by an owner at all times.

Sweetwater by Del Webb | Active Adult Community Jacksonville FL | Del Webb homes

I'm seriously getting tired of hearing people who WILFULLY CHOSE TO BUY A HOUSE GOVERNED BY AN HOA AND THEN WHINE ABOUT HAVING TO FOLLOW THE HOA'S RULES.
For fucksakes, if you don't want an HOA up your ass - don't buy an HOA house - its that fucking simple!

It had to have been liberals that did this. There is a law in Florida that only liberals are allowed to be officers of HOA's.

lolz!!!

BTW - folks - if you want to see a properly displayed U.S. flag - go to the front of the community.

webcommunityimage1.jpg

If this guy didn't want an HOA up his ass he picked the wrong place to live. You aren't even allowed to have your own grandchildren stay at your own home for more than 90 days.
This is an age-restricted community; no one under the age of 19 may stay overnight for more than 90 days in any consecutive 12-month period. If someone under the age of 19 is using the amenities, as permitted in the rules, then he/she must be accompanied by an owner at all times.

Sweetwater by Del Webb | Active Adult Community Jacksonville FL | Del Webb homes

I'm seriously getting tired of hearing people who WILFULLY CHOSE TO BUY A HOUSE GOVERNED BY AN HOA AND THEN WHINE ABOUT HAVING TO FOLLOW THE HOA'S RULES.
For fucksakes, if you don't want an HOA up your ass - don't buy an HOA house - its that fucking simple!

That's why I always avoided condos. Some HOA's are pretty decent, but that can always change. And it's likely you could get a retired military guy in charge who got away with being an "a" hole for thirty years and wants to continue his act in civilian life.

That's why I always avoided condos. Some HOA's are pretty decent, but that can always change. And it's likely you could get a retired military guy in charge who got away with being an "a" hole for thirty years and wants to continue his act in civilian life.

And you know how those guys are always liberals.

June 23, 2014

Flag.JPG

Why yes it is. How incredibly disrespectful to all Americans. Dude should be jailed.

Why yes it is. How incredibly disrespectful to all Americans. Dude should be jailed.
The Flag Code isn't actually enforcible on non-U.S. government property. Its a good idea to follow it though, it makes our country look better. I'll never forget shortly after Shrub gave the order to set Baghdad on fire, all of a sudden there were yards everywhere littered with tiny little 1 foot flags - almost all touching the ground - in a national show of profound ignorance of the Flag Code.

Last edited:
I'm a flag guy. Fly it virtually every day of the year whether at home, our vacation condo, or on the boat. Only occasionally sub a seasonal flag or something special like on St. Patty's day.

I've also however served on the board of a condo association, one job of which is to enforce the homeowners association agreement, the set of rules or bylaws that govern various aspects of living in the complex, and a copy of which was, by law, provided to every potential buyer.

I'd estimate 90+% of the issues that came up due to violations of some rule were met with a reply from the owner along the lines of, gee, I didn't know that. Yet everything was clearly - no legalese - spelled out in the association's rules.

No idea what this guy's association's rules say about his flower pot flagstand, but if he's in violation the board has no choice other than to enforce the rule(s). You can't cut anyone any slack - even for an American flag - because as soon as you do you've got others coming out of the woodwork wanting similar consideration to bend some other rule, and it never ends. My heart's with this guy, but if he's breaking the rules he's got no case IMO.

I'm a flag guy. Fly it virtually every day of the year whether at home, our vacation condo, or on the boat. Only occasionally sub a seasonal flag or something special like on St. Patty's day.

I've also however served on the board of a condo association, one job of which is to enforce the homeowners association agreement, the set of rules or bylaws that govern various aspects of living in the complex, and a copy of which was, by law, provided to every potential buyer.

I'd estimate 90+% of the issues that came up due to violations of some rule were met with a reply from the owner along the lines of, gee, I didn't know that. Yet everything was clearly - no legalese - spelled out in the association's rules.

No idea what this guy's association's rules say about his flower pot flagstand, but if he's in violation the board has no choice other than to enforce the rule(s). You can't cut anyone any slack - even for an American flag - because as soon as you do you've got others coming out of the woodwork wanting similar consideration to bend some other rule, and it never ends. My heart's with this guy, but if he's breaking the rules he's got no case IMO.

Would the HOA be violating its contract with other homeowner's if they failed to enforce?

June 23, 2014

Flag.JPG

The flag is being treated without proper respect, yes, it touches the ground.

Would the HOA be violating its contract with other homeowner's if they failed to enforce?

I guess the answer is yes because from time to time some owner would get a hair up his rear end and threaten to sue, but it never happened and I suppose because their attorney pointed out they didn't have a leg to stand on. On the other side of that coin though, had the board not enforced the rules it would have become a chaotic situation and I can't imagine someone who'd invested their money not wanting to get us in court to enforce the rules they were told would govern their living there.

I don't live in Florida so I don't know what the flag flying rules are. But in the community with the HOA, as long as the rule isn't illegal or trumped by state/federal law then I don't see an issue with it. Anyone who wants to move into a community with an HOA should read the rules first. If they choose to move into the community then they choose to abide by the rules. I would think this is obvious regardless of party affiliation.

to a dipshit like Shootspeados if he is walking somewhere and sees a pile of shit.....it has to be either Obamas dog or a Liberal's dog who left it.....im still waiting for this poor unfortunate sap to show proof that Obama is the guy who sets the Postage rates as claimed in one of his dumbass threads....

I don't live in Florida so I don't know what the flag flying rules are. But in the community with the HOA, as long as the rule isn't illegal or trumped by state/federal law then I don't see an issue with it. Anyone who wants to move into a community with an HOA should read the rules first. If they choose to move into the community then they choose to abide by the rules. I would think this is obvious regardless of party affiliation.

HOA regs sometimes lose in Courts however. :eusa_whistle:

[

Hey einstein. Whats the connection between kids and flags? Rules banning kids make sense but rules banning american flags are something only an america-hating prevert liberal would write.

June 23, 2014

Flag.JPG

Show that that HOA is a liberal organization. BTW...HOA's can be some of the most fascist organizations out there, run by retired old people who have free time on their hands to dictate to others.

This man has federal law on his side....I wish him success....and wish he would sue the HOA to the point they go broke. :D

Last edited:

Forum List

Back