Liberals, how do you feel about anti-pitbull legislation?

I was in NYC one summer and found myself in mid-town Manhattan during the Puerto Rico Day parade. The sidewalks were packed shoulder to shoulder. All I wanted to do was walk two blocks south where a friend was waiting to meet me.

There was a zipper head with a pit bull on a twelve inch leash and choker collar. He held this dog like a buzz saw, cutting through the crowd as the dog lurched forward biting and snarling. The crowd parted before him like the Red Sea parting before Moses. Anyone not yielding to his dog risked real physical harm. It was one of the most irresponsible behaviors of man and beast I ever saw.

But following the idiot and his dog made my two block walk a lot easier!

And this is why we need to destroy them. They are dangerous, they are menacing, and there is no reason you need to have one. Children are hurt all the time by pit bulls!

I am for destroying the owners that abuse them and teach them to be dangerous, whether it is intentional or not.

As far as the example cited? Again we need to destroy the owners, not the dog.

You totally reject genetics and selective breeding? You're ignorant. As in ignorant of the facts.

The breeding that went into pit fighting dogs also included a lack of aggression to humans because they had to be handled by humans regularly and safely - which also makes them easy to abuse.

Nah, can't buy that.

Shall we kill the pitbulls? They're vicious hate machines. I mean, look at this one, he's coming for you right now.

b2c9ebd1ad8a2ff89dd88f46521aa1d4.jpg

[Oh my god, he's so fucking cute!]

So please explain how you feel about this. Why is it okay for the government to kill the puppies?

There are several large cities like Denver that have banned Pit Bulls. My personal experience with them is that they are a dangerous dog to own. Highly excitable--when they're excited they attack. We had one for several years, and it went after a cow--locked onto it--and had to chase it down for a 1/2 mile before we could get it off. Right then and there we knew this was a dog we couldn't take out on hikes or camping outings.

Just a few months ago my lab was minding her own business in her own yard. A woman with a pit drove by my house, the pit jumped out of the car window to chase a deer--deer ran off, and the pit went after the next thing moving my lab. Luckily a friend pulled the pit off of my dog--before it could do any damage, otherwise I would have had to shoot it.

This little cute puppy you're showing will grow up, and then you don't know what you've got. A friend of mine owned a pit for several years as a house pet. A great family dog they claimed. One day he went into the store to pick up something, came back out and this family dog had locked onto his little girls arm and was shredding it to pieces. A Pit Bull is an unpredictable dog--no matter how long you've owned it, or think you know it.

I understand why cities ban Pit Bulls and others require an insurance liability policy on them. This is the dog that is responsible for most human deaths in this country. Personally I don't think you can take the fight out of a dog that was bred to fight.
Dangerous Dog Breeds - DogsBite.org

Me, I like to hike and do that with my dog-and I have grandchildren so the Labs work out great for me. She's a good watch dog too--but I know she won't attack me or the grand kids, or go after other animals.

Last edited:
I was in NYC one summer and found myself in mid-town Manhattan during the Puerto Rico Day parade. The sidewalks were packed shoulder to shoulder. All I wanted to do was walk two blocks south where a friend was waiting to meet me.

There was a zipper head with a pit bull on a twelve inch leash and choker collar. He held this dog like a buzz saw, cutting through the crowd as the dog lurched forward biting and snarling. The crowd parted before him like the Red Sea parting before Moses. Anyone not yielding to his dog risked real physical harm. It was one of the most irresponsible behaviors of man and beast I ever saw.

But following the idiot and his dog made my two block walk a lot easier!

And this is why we need to destroy them. They are dangerous, they are menacing, and there is no reason you need to have one. Children are hurt all the time by pit bulls!

I am for destroying the owners that abuse them and teach them to be dangerous, whether it is intentional or not.

As far as the example cited? Again we need to destroy the owners, not the dog.

You totally reject genetics and selective breeding? You're ignorant. As in ignorant of the facts.

The breeding that went into pit fighting dogs also included a lack of aggression to humans because they had to be handled by humans regularly and safely - which also makes them easy to abuse.

Nah, can't buy that.

People have to be able to handle the dogs, break them up with out getting bitten or redirected aggression.

Someone asked why do we need pitbulls? Because they are great breed of dog, with a wonderful long history with us that is not a history of manic aggression that is so often sensationalized in the media: Breed History | BAD RAP

The dogs that did this were once cute puppies too.
Police: No charges expected in child's dog mauling death

Kill them! Destroy them! Is there nobody out there who will support banning and destroying all pitbulls?

If you knew this sweet little boy and his parents as I do,you would feel differently. At least you would if you had any humanity.

I wouldn't blame an entire breed and want them erradicated.
What agitates me is the sheer number of people, groups and Web sites that defend Pit Bulls from those who would criticize and legislate against them.

I will now go to another screen and Google “pit bull attacks.” Limiting myself to the last five days—a full week would bring too many hits—I see that a 65-year-old woman died of heart failure during a Pit Bull attack in South Carolina, that two Pit Bulls “invaded a home” and killed a dog in Colorado, that a Pit Bull “chewed up” a Yorkie in Missouri, a golden retriever was severely injured by a Pit Bull in Indiana, and that two Indianapolis police officers were bitten by Pit Bulls on successive days.

Statistics show that Pit Bulls are by far the most dangerous breed of dogs, involved in several attacks on people and animals in the U.S. each day.

Get Rid of Pit Bulls

We "defend" them because we advocate a rational over hysterical approach to the issue of dangerous dogs - most notably, dog attack fatalities are exceedingly rare.

In 2014 - there were 42 total fatalities (27 were Pitbulls if breed id was correct).

There are maybe 83 million dogs in the US. Est 6% are Pitbulls.

According to the AVMA's research: Dog Bite Risk and Prevention: The Role of Breed

Breeds Implicated in Serious Bite Injuries
In a range of studies, the breeds found to frequently appear in lists of dogs implicated in biting incidents were German Shepherd Dog,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,50mixed breed,1,4,6,8,10,11,12,19,17,20,50 pit bull-type dogs,5,9,13,16,21,20,22,23,24,25,26,27 Rottweiler,15, 18,22,24,25,28 Jack Russell Terrier,21,25,26 and others (Chow Chow,7,23 Spaniel,14,26 Collie,3,29 Saint Bernard,20 and Labrador Retriever2). If only the cases that resulted in very severe injuries or fatalities20,22 are considered, pit bull-type dogs are more frequently identified. This may relate to the popularity of the breed in the victim’s community, reporting biases, misidentification, and the dog’s treatment by its owner (e.g., use as fighting dogs20). It is worth noting that fatal dog attacks in some areas of Canada are attributed mainly to “sled dogs” and Siberian Huskies,52 presumably due to the regional prevalence of these breeds.

Pit Bull types

Owners of dogs that are identified by the community as ‘pit bull type’ may experience a strong breed stigma,44 however controlled studies have not identified this breed group as disproportionately dangerous. The pit bull type is particularly ambiguous as a “breed” encompassing a range of pedigree breeds, informal types and appearances that cannot be reliably identified.45 Visual determination of dog breed is known to be unreliable.46 As discussed witnesses may be predisposed to assume that a dog that bites is a ‘pit bull’.
The incidence of ‘pit bull-type’ dogs’ involvement in severe or fatal attacks may be associated with prevalence of at-risk dogs in neighborhoods with lots of young children. Owners of stigmatized breeds are more likely to have involvement in criminal and/or violent acts47, so apparent ‘breed correlations’ may be due to patterns in owner behavior.

So 64% of dog mauling deaths were caused by a 6% breed. Sounds pretty significant to me.

Shall we kill the pitbulls? They're vicious hate machines. I mean, look at this one, he's coming for you right now.

So please explain how you feel about this. Why is it okay for the government to kill the puppies?

Please tell us where you live?

Most cities kill puppies all the time- and kittens- any that can't be adopted.

Meanwhile, my real problem is not with pit bulls- its with pit bull owners who buy pit bulls to compensate for inadequate manhoods.

People who buy them for actual pets, bring them in their family and treat them well, and keep them completely under control I don't have a problem with.

This isn't a political issue.

It's an issue where ignorant people fear pit bulls because of the actions of some pit bulls that haven't been trained properly or worse, abused and made to be vicious.

The breed in itself is loyal, loving, intelligent, and full of personality. Few of the people spreading ignorant hate about pits have owned or been around them.

If you knew this sweet little boy and his parents as I do,you would feel differently. At least you would if you had any humanity.

What agitates me is the sheer number of people, groups and Web sites that defend Pit Bulls from those who would criticize and legislate against them.

I will now go to another screen and Google “pit bull attacks.” Limiting myself to the last five days—a full week would bring too many hits—I see that a 65-year-old woman died of heart failure during a Pit Bull attack in South Carolina, that two Pit Bulls “invaded a home” and killed a dog in Colorado, that a Pit Bull “chewed up” a Yorkie in Missouri, a golden retriever was severely injured by a Pit Bull in Indiana, and that two Indianapolis police officers were bitten by Pit Bulls on successive days.

Statistics show that Pit Bulls are by far the most dangerous breed of dogs, involved in several attacks on people and animals in the U.S. each day.

Get Rid of Pit Bulls
While you are on Google, search for "percent homicides by blacks".
We should fix all felons black or white. I agree. They shouldn't breed either.
No, no, no. You said "Get Rid of Pit Bulls". You want to entirely eliminate the whole breed based on statistics.

So by your same TardLogic™, we should "Get Rid of Blacks".

We didn't make blacks. We made the pitbull breed. I do see your point but I'm thinking we can educate and sophisticate blacks where pitbulls will always be wild beasts.

If you want to get breeders to make a less aggressive version of the pitbull GREAT! I only want to ban/do away with pitbulls because the pitbulls you guys want to keep around are the aggressive violent ones.

Do you want to fix the violent black problem we have in America? So do I. Do you want to solve the violent pitbull problem we have? So do I. What do you suggest?

Please tell us where you live?

Most cities kill puppies all the time- and kittens- any that can't be adopted.

Meanwhile, my real problem is not with pit bulls- its with pit bull owners who buy pit bulls to compensate for inadequate manhoods.

People who buy them for actual pets, bring them in their family and treat them well, and keep them completely under control I don't have a problem with.
I do. They have a ticking time bomb in their homes. A crazy and stupid and wild beast.

This isn't a political issue.

It's an issue where ignorant people fear pit bulls because of the actions of some pit bulls that haven't been trained properly or worse, abused and made to be vicious.

The breed in itself is loyal, loving, intelligent, and full of personality. Few of the people spreading ignorant hate about pits have owned or been around them.
One day when I was in highschool we crashed on my buddies floor. In the morning I woke up to the Pitbull using my foot as a chew toy. Even baby pitbulls have a wild side to them. Not lovable.

It is the owner and not the pitbull that make them dangerous...

I have yet to meet a pitbull that wanted to kill me, but I have met many humans that have attempted more than once...

So no I do not agree with killing them off, but if a owner is discovered abusing one they should be put under a prison and like one poster wrote if I am attacked by a pitbull then God help the owner because I will own them until they die and make sure their great grandchildren grow up knowing my name that ruined their lives...

Liberals, how do you feel about anti-pitbull legislation?
As a Liberal I haven't given it a second thought. As a matter of fact, if you hadn't posted about it I would never have known.

Now that you have posted on it, and I have become aware of it, I couldn't care less if I tried. And that is speaking as a liberal, an American, and as a human being who loves some dogs

Kill them! Destroy them! Is there nobody out there who will support banning and destroying all pitbulls?

Get Rid of Pit Bulls

We "defend" them because we advocate a rational over hysterical approach to the issue of dangerous dogs - most notably, dog attack fatalities are exceedingly rare.

In 2014 - there were 42 total fatalities (27 were Pitbulls if breed id was correct).

There are maybe 83 million dogs in the US. Est 6% are Pitbulls.

According to the AVMA's research: Dog Bite Risk and Prevention: The Role of Breed

Breeds Implicated in Serious Bite Injuries
In a range of studies, the breeds found to frequently appear in lists of dogs implicated in biting incidents were German Shepherd Dog,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,50mixed breed,1,4,6,8,10,11,12,19,17,20,50 pit bull-type dogs,5,9,13,16,21,20,22,23,24,25,26,27 Rottweiler,15, 18,22,24,25,28 Jack Russell Terrier,21,25,26 and others (Chow Chow,7,23 Spaniel,14,26 Collie,3,29 Saint Bernard,20 and Labrador Retriever2). If only the cases that resulted in very severe injuries or fatalities20,22 are considered, pit bull-type dogs are more frequently identified. This may relate to the popularity of the breed in the victim’s community, reporting biases, misidentification, and the dog’s treatment by its owner (e.g., use as fighting dogs20). It is worth noting that fatal dog attacks in some areas of Canada are attributed mainly to “sled dogs” and Siberian Huskies,52 presumably due to the regional prevalence of these breeds.

Pit Bull types

Owners of dogs that are identified by the community as ‘pit bull type’ may experience a strong breed stigma,44 however controlled studies have not identified this breed group as disproportionately dangerous. The pit bull type is particularly ambiguous as a “breed” encompassing a range of pedigree breeds, informal types and appearances that cannot be reliably identified.45 Visual determination of dog breed is known to be unreliable.46 As discussed witnesses may be predisposed to assume that a dog that bites is a ‘pit bull’.
The incidence of ‘pit bull-type’ dogs’ involvement in severe or fatal attacks may be associated with prevalence of at-risk dogs in neighborhoods with lots of young children. Owners of stigmatized breeds are more likely to have involvement in criminal and/or violent acts47, so apparent ‘breed correlations’ may be due to patterns in owner behavior.

So 64% of dog mauling deaths were caused by a 6% breed. Sounds pretty significant to me.

Not when you consider you are only talking about 27 out of 42 fatalities and an estimated 3.5 million pitbulls in the country.

I've had dogs, quite a few, for many years. Anyone who claims this is all about owners, or mostly about owners, is out of their mind.
We've had this discussion, you shouldn't own a powerful breed. The friendliest dogs at the park are often Pits. One of mine is an AmStaff, many consider that a Pit. No one will ever find a friendlier dog.

The thing people grossly underestimate is how aware dogs are, they know a LOT more than we give them credit for. Hell, my dogs probably know more about me that I do about them. They watch every single tiny movement.

You don't evaluate a breed on one example. You evaluate it on thousands of examples.

Pit Bulls were BRED specifically for the trait of attacking the head or face of an animal, biting and holding on. They were BRED for bull baiting and dog fighting.

For same reason it's not uncommon to have a border collie want to herd children around, you get pit bulls biting people.

It's not that complicated.
Except that I just said I've many many Pits at the park and they do not match your perception. You want me to believe you over me. It ain't happening. If you were showing or had fear, your relationship with your dog was way out of whack. You are projecting your experience on everyone else.

Get Rid of Pit Bulls
No, no, no. You said "Get Rid of Pit Bulls". You want to entirely eliminate the whole breed based on statistics.

So by your same TardLogic[emoji769], we should "Get Rid of Blacks".

We didn't make blacks. We made the pitbull breed. I do see your point but I'm thinking we can educate and sophisticate blacks where pitbulls will always be wild beasts.

If you want to get breeders to make a less aggressive version of the pitbull GREAT! I only want to ban/do away with pitbulls because the pitbulls you guys want to keep around are the aggressive violent ones.

Do you want to fix the violent black problem we have in America? So do I. Do you want to solve the violent pitbull problem we have? So do I. What do you suggest?

Who is "you guys"? I don't want aggressive animals and pit bulls if raised correctly are not aggressive.

I've had dogs, quite a few, for many years. Anyone who claims this is all about owners, or mostly about owners, is out of their mind.
We've had this discussion, you shouldn't own a powerful breed. The friendliest dogs at the park are often Pits. One of mine is an AmStaff, many consider that a Pit. No one will ever find a friendlier dog.

The thing people grossly underestimate is how aware dogs are, they know a LOT more than we give them credit for. Hell, my dogs probably know more about me that I do about them. They watch every single tiny movement.

You don't evaluate a breed on one example. You evaluate it on thousands of examples.

Pit Bulls were BRED specifically for the trait of attacking the head or face of an animal, biting and holding on. They were BRED for bull baiting and dog fighting.

For same reason it's not uncommon to have a border collie want to herd children around, you get pit bulls biting people.

It's not that complicated.
Except that I just said I've many many Pits at the park and they do not match your perception. You want me to believe you over me. It ain't happening. If you were showing or had fear, your relationship with your dog was way out of whack. You are projecting your experience on everyone else.

So you're also denying that an instinct to attack another animal with head bites designed to latch onto that animal and hold it against all resistance

cannot possibly exist. Defend that point.

Dogs are a reflection of their owners. A well-trained and well-treated pit bull will no more attack than any other breed bred to fight but also kept as pets.

Some pit-bull owners are far more dangerous.

Get Rid of Pit Bulls

So by your same TardLogic[emoji769], we should "Get Rid of Blacks".

Who is "you guys"? I don't want aggressive animals and pit bulls if raised correctly are not aggressive.

I've never heard of a couple Brittany Spaniels doing this:

Bronx pit bull attack leads to arrest - CNN.com

Forum List

Back