Libertarian Purity Test

No, I don't just define libertarianism as anarcho-capitalism. I recognize that there are minarchist libertarians as well. That's the difference between us: You think only your views can be libertarian, and I understand that libertarianism is a much broader ideology spanning both Milton Friedman and Murray Rothbard.

So what are you saying, they're all correct? There is no Truth because everything is subjective?

Libertarians..possible the most self deluded political thinkers on earth.

They really and truly imagine that THEY love freedom but everyone else does not.

Are YOU a libertarian?

Do you love FREEDOM?

Then you will NOT object to my absolute freedom, will you?

Morons!

Is that how every single one of us feels then?

No Kevin I have met Libertarians who actually do make sense.

But this test?

This test is nonsense.

And if you ARE a thinking Libertarian you know that too.

No, I don't just define libertarianism as anarcho-capitalism. I recognize that there are minarchist libertarians as well. That's the difference between us: You think only your views can be libertarian, and I understand that libertarianism is a much broader ideology spanning both Milton Friedman and Murray Rothbard.

So what are you saying, they're all correct? There is no Truth because everything is subjective?

I don't know how you quoted Templar with what I said, but regardless. No, I'm not saying that they're all always correct. I disagree with Friedman on plenty. What I'm saying is that they're generally correct enough. I don't know enough to say whether I'd consider you a libertarian or not, but I'm willing to take your word for it despite the fact that what I do know about you says that we obviously have some different ideas.

Judging people on what you consider to be the "Truth" is a pointless exercise. If everybody tried doing that then nobody could ever work together. Everybody would think they're a "real" conservative and everybody else is a fake, and the same with liberals and libertarians. It's also arrogant to assume you know the "Truth."

Libertarians..possible the most self deluded political thinkers on earth.

They really and truly imagine that THEY love freedom but everyone else does not.

Are YOU a libertarian?

Do you love FREEDOM?

Then you will NOT object to my absolute freedom, will you?

Morons!

Is that how every single one of us feels then?

No Kevin I have met Libertarians who actually do make sense.

But this test?

This test is nonsense.

And if you ARE a thinking Libertarian you know that too.

I said that this test was bad in one of my first posts in this thread. Your post, however, did not insult the test so much as libertarians in general.

"Libertarians..possible the most self deluded political thinkers on earth.

They really and truly imagine that THEY love freedom but everyone else does not."

No, I'm not saying that they're all always correct. I disagree with Friedman on plenty. What I'm saying is that they're generally correct enough.

I was the same way until 9-11 when isolationist libertarians (in today's world) and pacifist libertarians reared their irrational heads. Neither one is defensible, much less practical. Libertarianism is a hard enough sell in today's western world of nanny states, but denying a right to self-defense (which is what they come down to) turned off many card carrying big "L" libertarians such as myself. The sound absolutely just like libs.

I don't know enough to say whether I'd consider you a libertarian or not, but I'm willing to take your word for it despite the fact that what I do know about you says that we obviously have some different ideas.

As I said, I can and have gotten along. But pacifism, which you apparently embrace (anti-war) and isolationism are deal breakers--and you don't appear to be inclined to defend it. It's strange but some libs and libertarians can adopt the anti-war label but don't want to be called pacifists. There's no difference.

Judging people on what you consider to be the "Truth" is a pointless exercise. If everybody tried doing that then nobody could ever work together. Everybody would think they're a "real" conservative and everybody else is a fake, and the same with liberals and libertarians. It's also arrogant to assume you know the "Truth."[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not saying that they're all always correct. I disagree with Friedman on plenty. What I'm saying is that they're generally correct enough.

I was the same way until 9-11 when isolationist libertarians (in today's world) and pacifist libertarians reared their irrational heads. Neither one is defensible, much less practical. Libertarianism is a hard enough sell in today's western world of nanny states, but denying a right to self-defense (which is what they come down to) turned off many card carrying big "L" libertarians such as myself. The sound absolutely just like libs.

I don't know enough to say whether I'd consider you a libertarian or not, but I'm willing to take your word for it despite the fact that what I do know about you says that we obviously have some different ideas.

As I said, I can and have gotten along. But pacifism, which you apparently embrace (anti-war) and isolationism are deal breakers--and you don't appear to be inclined to defend it. It's strange but some libs and libertarians can adopt the anti-war label but don't want to be called pacifists. There's no difference.

Judging people on what you consider to be the "Truth" is a pointless exercise. If everybody tried doing that then nobody could ever work together. Everybody would think they're a "real" conservative and everybody else is a fake, and the same with liberals and libertarians. It's also arrogant to assume you know the "Truth."

If it talks like a neocon...

I was talking to someone who lived in Germany and Cuba a good part of her life and now lives in the US. She says Americans are quite deluded, for they have no idea how blessed they are. America is not perfect, but the freedoms and the government we have is so far superior to other countries we should be grateful to be living here.

It made me think that our foundation is excellent here. We have our problems and do more about talking about them than doing something about them. How many of is do any more than give lip service to the good guys in government and complain about the representatives who don't deserve their seats. Rather than being vocal, we should be working for who we believe in rather than complaining on a message board. Me included.

The world is aware of our politics and watches closely. Surprised me.

facepalm.gif

I was talking to someone who lived in Germany and Cuba a good part of her life and now lives in the US. She says Americans are quite deluded, for they have no idea how blessed they are. America is not perfect, but the freedoms and the government we have is so far superior to other countries we should be grateful to be living here.

It made me think that our foundation is excellent here. We have our problems and do more about talking about them than doing something about them. How many of is do any more than give lip service to the good guys in government and complain about the representatives who don't deserve their seats. Rather than being vocal, we should be working for who we believe in rather than complaining on a message board. Me included.

The world is aware of our politics and watches closely. Surprised me.

Amen. But we are terribly deficient in leadership. I look at it as keeping the flame flickering on the net which keeps the skids greased for the next Washington/Paine duo.

Ideological purity isn't a good thing.

Objectivity is.

Amen again.

Last edited:

facepalm.gif

Amen. But we are terribly deficient in leadership. I look at it as keeping the flame flickering on the net which keeps the skids greased for the next Washington/Paine duo.

Ideological purity isn't a good thing.

Objectivity is.

Amen again.

Facepalm indeed. Our resident "real" libertarian has a habit of using neocon buzzwords. Wonder why that is.

yep

Facepalm indeed. Our resident "real" libertarian has a habit of using neocon buzzwords. Wonder why that is.

Is that all you do, insinuate? If I am, and I've no idea which words you're talking about, it's pure coincidence. "Neocon" is a pretty nebulous term anyway used as a vague pejorative, like, "you're a goob".

If it means a libertarian who isn't a pacifist or an isolationist, or a political/fiscal conservative who isn't a theocrat or an anarchist, I'll admit to either. Otherwise you're just
peghole.jpg

Last edited:

Is that all you do, insinuate? If I am, and I've no idea which words you're talking about, it's pure coincidence. "Neocon" is a pretty nebulous term anyway used as a vague pejorative, like, "you're a goob".

If it means a libertarian who isn't a pacifist or an isolationist, or a political/fiscal conservative who isn't a theocrat or an anarchist, I'll admit to either. Otherwise you're just
peghole.jpg

Well you would know all about vague pejoratives wouldn't you? "Isolationist," for example, the favorite of neocons everywhere.

I scored an 84

I am a medium-core libertarian, probably self-consciously so. My friends probably encourage me to quit talking about my views so much.

noooooooooooo, you belong to the :asshole:party

I find looking up the ignore feature is too much trouble to spend on you. So I, like most posters, just see your picture and choose to skip over your posts.

Forum List

Back