Libertarians and the GOP

It's not democracy. It's fascism. Corporatism, to be precise. Do some reading.

yeah, yeah, yeah "the end is here!" -- you being of little faith in America are a disease upon the polity

Well, you're a poo-poo head.

We have a democratic republic. Of course the corporate influence on our election system and our government is something to behold, but 'we the people' can change anything we want -- within constitutional bounds: fact

Dante loves IT when rightwingers try to own Mencken or attempt to portray themselves as understanding Mencken as he was and not as a one-dimensional tool to misquote and misrepresent

Yes, Dante use to collect works of Henry and he read more than a few bios. :eek:

Good for Dante.

:eusa_eh:

shouldn't some great defender of Liberty like you be out manning the barricades instead of sitting here being a -- ______________________ -- fill in the blank

Charming scamp?

So Mencken thinks employees shouldn't be able to be fired for bad reasons, which is a violation of property rights, but otherwise doesn't have much nice to say about unions. What was the point here again?

addressing what he thinks of the newspaper guild in journalism

"I think it's been generally -- I think the idea of the newspaper guild is good, but the influence of the guild has been bad, almost unqualifiedly bad for the reason that it got into the hands of the wrong men, beginning with the first of them, Edward P... " - Mencken in his own voice and words

"The Newspaper Guild-CWA is a labor union founded by newspaper journalists in 1933 who noticed that unionized printers and truck drivers were making more money than they did. In addition to improving wages and working conditions, its constitution says its purpose is to fight for honesty in journalism and the news industry's business practices." The Newspaper Guild - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again, I'm not sure what your point here is.

And the 2014 elections are NOT "That far away." I'm willing to bet that we'll be seeing a huge increase in election campaigns in January - certainly in February.

No doubt, and we can thank the five members of the Supreme Court who voted to allow anonymous money to influence the voters. Anonymous unlimited money, 'cause money is no longer the root of all evil, now it is a civil right.

Who would have thought conservative activist Justices would protect the first amendment rights of the Chinese Government and the Iranian Theocrats, as well as anyone with the money to 'influence' the voters?

yeah, yeah, yeah "the end is here!" -- you being of little faith in America are a disease upon the polity

Well, you're a poo-poo head.

We have a democratic republic. Of course the corporate influence on our election system and our government is something to behold, but 'we the people' can change anything we want -- within constitutional bounds: fact

Ooooh... an actual debate-like argument??!? I didn't think that was really your style. ... Whatever, I'll play.

My point was that labor-law being a mess isn't a result of constitutionally limited democracy, which depends quite fundamentally on the principles of equal rights and equal protection, but rather of corporatism, a philosophy of government that eschews equal rights and equal protection in favor of group rights and special interest power brokering. The union movement went of the rails in getting suckered into playing along.

So Mencken thinks employees shouldn't be able to be fired for bad reasons, which is a violation of property rights, but otherwise doesn't have much nice to say about unions. What was the point here again?

"I think it's been generally -- I think the idea of the newspaper guild is good, but the influence of the guild has been bad, almost unqualifiedly bad for the reason that it got into the hands of the wrong men, beginning with the first of them, Edward P... " - Mencken in his own voice and words

"The Newspaper Guild-CWA is a labor union founded by newspaper journalists in 1933 who noticed that unionized printers and truck drivers were making more money than they did. In addition to improving wages and working conditions, its constitution says its purpose is to fight for honesty in journalism and the news industry's business practices." The Newspaper Guild - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of today's libertarians and rightwing economic conservatives are anti-unions, not because of the influence but because of hatred of unions masked as some ridiculous principle

And the 2014 elections are NOT "That far away." I'm willing to bet that we'll be seeing a huge increase in election campaigns in January - certainly in February.

No doubt, and we can thank the five members of the Supreme Court who voted to allow anonymous money to influence the voters. Anonymous unlimited money, 'cause money is no longer the root of all evil, now it is a civil right.

Who would have thought conservative activist Justices would protect the first amendment rights of the Chinese Government and the Iranian Theocrats, as well as anyone with the money to 'influence' the voters?

Dante agrees with much in the decision of the Citizens United case, but he thinks Justice Kennedy lives in an imaginary world when he comments upon lobbyists and others in society.

Interesting family background on Justice Kennedy. Guess what he and his family were into? lobbyists :lol:

I refuse to vote for the lesser of two evils. Thats why I won't be voting in 2016 if its the same old water-carriers for Wall St running. Libertarians? Will you be voting for Repubs even though they are for ginormous gov't in the form of *cough* "defense (offense/domestic spying)" spending?

benson.gif

I refuse to vote for the lesser of two evils. Thats why I won't be voting in 2016 if its the same old water-carriers for Wall St running. Libertarians? Will you be voting for Repubs even though they are for ginormous gov't in the form of *cough* "defense (offense/domestic spying)" spending?

benson.gif

I've haven't yet.

Most of today's libertarians and rightwing economic conservatives are anti-unions, not because of the influence but because of hatred of unions masked as some ridiculous principle

So you tagged me in this thread because of some assumption you made regarding my position on unions, and for some reason thought quoting Mencken on the subject would have some basis on my opinion?

benson.gif

I fully expect not to be voting in 2016. Rand Paul will probably be the best of the Republicans running, and he isn't nearly good enough. Gary Johnson will likely run on the Libertarian Party ticket again, but he seems to think he can run an entire campaign based on legalizing weed.

So you tagged me in this thread because of some assumption you made regarding my position on unions, and for some reason thought quoting Mencken on the subject would have some basis on my opinion?

Dante just likes to tweak anyone who isn't signed on with his corporatist wet dream.

Dante just likes to tweak anyone who isn't signed on with his corporatist wet dream.

Well if I'm going to be tweaked I at least want to know what the tweaking is about.

benson.gif

Republicans today would be hard pressed to get my vote. They'd have to be principled and moderate by their party's standards today

I came into the thread after an absence and tagged people who seemed interested in the thread.

Sorry for using the 'tag' feature for the purposes of notifying people who had an interest in a thread :redface:

Forum List

Back