Little Sympathy for California Fire Victims

I'm sorry, but if I was ever going to build a ($x??) million dollar home in the hills of California, I THINK I would spend another ten or twenty thousand or so on preventative measures against brush fires.

These fires are an annual event, and not at all surprising. What IS surprising, is how little the homeowners have done to prevent their homes from burning to the ground.

I see these lots along the sculpted streets of SoCal, and all of the homes are burned to the ground. In the back yards of these homes are reflection pools, HUGE swimming pools full of water, that reain after the fires burn out. They build the expensive homes, and the beautiful reflection pools, but they NEVER think ahead, to plumb in a sprinkler system that can DRENCH the home with pool water at the moment the fire wall approaches and burns past the house.

It boggles my mind, to think that any architect would design a home with a 50,000 gallon pool in the yard, and NOT have some way to use that water to fight a fire. We are only talking about a $500.00 Honda gas powered water pump and some steel piping, after all.

Does this make ANY sense?

b60e4ac2-e4be-11e8-9876-950c8650801f_image_hires_180043.jpg

sei_39883479-a13e.jpg

You really think a sprinkler is going to stop a miles-wide, raging wildfire, genius?
If it's a big honking space sprinkler.

If it's a big honking space sprinkler

Thats the wrong idea

You run a very big soaker hose along the top of the roof

Last edited:
I’m impressed how brilliant and experience you are about fire and catastrophic disaster.

Thank you.

Month of September 2019. North Texas was hit with 10 tornadoes. This is like saying......... Those stupid Texans should have built their houses stronger.
Does that make sense to you?

Yes, absolutely. If I were to build a home in an an area that is prone to strong tornadoes, I would build a home than can HANDLE strong tornadoes. A welded steel frame, made with I-beams, not some wimpy wooden toothpick structure held together with Chinese nails. I would make the roof and the walls and the windows capable of dealing with the tornadoes that are sure to arrive.

If I were to build a home in a flood zone, I would find out the highest possible water level, and build my floor ten feet ABOVE that mark. In Utah, a lot of expensive homes were built in a community called "RIVER BED." They actually built an entire community on a dry river bed! Oh, but the river hasn't flowed for nearly a hundred years! Really? When was the last flood? Oh ... about a hundred years ago. But go ahead and build your homes. This is a 100 year FLOOD ZONE! Now they're all gone. Stupid is as stupid does.

The Santa Ana wind is like a storm of strong winds at 70 to 80 miles an hour. With that force plus the heat. So tell me. What kind of water system if you have a swimming pool do you proposed?

A simple system that sucks water from the pool, INUNDATES the home with water while it it risk of ignition from heat, flames and embers, and the water is then returned to the pool via a channel system built into the foundation and passed through a debris filter to be used again.

Do you know how a water fountain works? Make the same system, just a lot BIGGER.
You really don't know anything about extreme weather, do you? No house can handle a direct hit from a tornado. period.

That depends on the strength of the tornado. An EF0 tornado went through my backyard on the night before Christmas Eve about 5 years ago. It destroyed my grandsons' trampoline by dropping it a 1/4 mile away, and blew down my neighbor's shitty wooden fence. Nothing else was touched. The trash cans didn't even blow away.
Tornadoes can have a very narrow focus....it always blew me away (pun intended) to see aerial footage of rows of houses destroyed while those on either side not harmed at all.

If you remove the strong winds at 85+ mph and the heat from the equations that might work.

So you have this sprinkler running on top of your roof. With the strong Santa Ana winds and the heat. At least minimum of 125°. And the directions of the strong winds?
How long is that water going to sticks to your roof?

WHY are liberals' brains so DENSE?!? I am not talking about a SPRINKLER. I am talking about a WALL OF WATER washing over the roof, NON-STOP, with the water being collected at the base of the home and returned to the pool for reapplication.

In Palm Spring it gets very hot during summer 104° to 108°. I sprayed water all over it dried up in seconds. That is without the strong hot winds.

Again, I am not talking about "sprinkling" your roof with some sissy Wal-Mart garden attachment. I am talking about 10,000 gallons of water PER HOUR being poured over your home. That is more than three 55 gallon OIL BARRELS of water per minute. No garden hose can produce THAT volume of water.
How are you going to pump all that? with the power out?
You are NOT this thick. Just isn't possible.

Beat your chest some more and tell us how you will replace the gods because you are so mighty with pride...And when you get old people will spit on your past because you have no heart...Yet you are full of shyt because if a home were built as you specified it would be cost defeating and even you would not be able to afford it...

Not true at all.
What is the square foot cost then?

Now thats dumb....... Farmers comparing to fighting fires are totally different scenarios dude.

Not different at all. you suggested that a generator must be refueled every two hours, and I told you that it is possible to let a diesel generator run for days at a time, unattended if necessary, as farmers do with diesel water pumps when they irrigate their fields.

I assumed you are going to place your alternate power source inside your garage? How hot is that do you think inside your garage? Out side might get burn or blow up?

I already stated that a structure could be built that would both protect and cool the pumps and generators. It could be underground, you know. It would not get hot at all, beyond normal operating temperatures.

Do you know what is so dumb and disgusting about your thread?You are arguing about your stupid idea.

No, YOU are arguing about my idea. I have no problems with my idea.

Yet you are not blasting these people that are talking about shit and homeless that has NOTHING to do with the topic. Why?

What the HELL are you babbling on about?

What the hell im babbling about? See post #233 as an example.

I assumed that you are going to go there and refuel or recharge your system. Because burying your power source like generator with a cooling system is very stupid.

1. The air system that you will use to cool your generator is coming from the outside. It’s hot air coming in. What good is that do?

2. The heat from your generator plus the hot air coming in. Now what?

3. You want to use diesel. I assumed you are going to use 55 gallons. That’s a lot of fuel. If it blows up. Now what?

I am sorry. The ignorance and lack of basic common sense in your questions forbids me from answering them. I am not going to hold your hand and WALK you through logical answers to all of your concerns. Gasoline stations store THOUSANDS of gallons of fuel underground, SAFELY.
You are a moron.....seriously. The disconnected logic you spew is a tribute to the ignorance of con-servatives (a label you put in your nic)

What is your power source for these pumps that you obviously know nothing about?

That is a stupid question. What do fire trucks use for power when they are right in the middle of it? Do the engines fail to start for lack of air? Do the fuel tanks explode? I BELIEVE fire trucks are designed to function IN a fire situation.

A power source? Gasoline. Diesel. Propane. Kerosene. Electricity from a generator that is fueled by one of the other fuels. Or any of a dozen other fuels that can be stored in underground tanks.

"But KC! There would be no oxygen because of the fires!"

Then add oxygen tanks with regulators and run the damned pumps UNDER WATER.

Do you know how a SUMP PUMP works? It is SUBMERGED into the water and powered by electricity. A HUGE sump pump is all that would be needed. It would be plumbed into the pool's filtration system.
upload_2019-10-30_8-56-9.jpeg
upload_2019-10-30_8-56-18.jpeg
upload_2019-10-30_8-56-28.jpeg
images
Guess what all those are.

What is your power source for these pumps that you obviously know nothing about?

That is a stupid question. What do fire trucks use for power when they are right in the middle of it? Do the engines fail to start for lack of air? Do the fuel tanks explode? I BELIEVE fire trucks are designed to function IN a fire situation.

A power source? Gasoline. Diesel. Propane. Kerosene. Electricity from a generator that is fueled by one of the other fuels. Or any of a dozen other fuels that can be stored in underground tanks.

Do you know how a SUMP PUMP works? It is SUBMERGED into the water and powered by electricity. A HUGE sump pump is all that would be needed. It would be plumbed into the pool's filtration system.
View attachment 287051 View attachment 287052 View attachment 287053
images
And where is he going to get all this water he claims to be able to pump?

If you remove the strong winds at 85+ mph and the heat from the equations that might work.

So you have this sprinkler running on top of your roof. With the strong Santa Ana winds and the heat. At least minimum of 125°. And the directions of the strong winds?
How long is that water going to sticks to your roof?

WHY are liberals' brains so DENSE?!? I am not talking about a SPRINKLER. I am talking about a WALL OF WATER washing over the roof, NON-STOP, with the water being collected at the base of the home and returned to the pool for reapplication.

In Palm Spring it gets very hot during summer 104° to 108°. I sprayed water all over it dried up in seconds. That is without the strong hot winds.

Again, I am not talking about "sprinkling" your roof with some sissy Wal-Mart garden attachment. I am talking about 10,000 gallons of water PER HOUR being poured over your home. That is more than three 55 gallon OIL BARRELS of water per minute. No garden hose can produce THAT volume of water.
How are you going to pump all that? with the power out?
You are NOT this thick. Just isn't possible.
Actually, experienced.....after the Butte fire a few years back, we helped fund raise for the American Legion up in the small town of Glencoe because their water pumps ran out due to no generator back up......

Just how much extra water do you think we have for underground cisterns in California? And do you think those underground cisterns will hold up in a fairly active seismic area?

Wow! you folks are really REACHING to try to sound intelligent, but you fail.

You have plenty of water. You WASTE most of it. Water from rain and storms is washed out to the ocean, rather than piped to a reservoir where it can be allowed to settle, and then when the dirt and such settles to the bottom, the CLEAN water can be skimmed off of the top and sent to reservoirs all around CommieFornia.

As for earthquakes, ... um ... you DO have septic systems, right? They use a cistern to collect your sh*t and then leach lines send the water out to the surrounding field to percolate into the soil. So you ALREADY HAVE large concrete boxes full of water buried in the ground, all around CommieFornia, and they survive the earthquakes just fine. Another cistern with clean water is not a problem.

A fire system cistern for the average home would be about the size of a one-car garage. Remember, the water would recirculate, so you are NOT pumping the water out to suck the cistern dry. you are running the water over the home, and then it is RETURNED to the cistern through a debris filter to be used again.

It really does not seem like you ever lived here.

40 years in Hawthorne, Vista, Santa Barbara, Mission Viejo, Inglewood, Oceanside ....

This issue is the WIND.

The wind has nothing to do with it. You still picture "Rain Birds" shooting water into the air to wet down homes, even though I have repeatedly told you there are NO SPRINKLERS involved. Take your garden hose. Remove any spray nozzle. Now lay the hose on your driveway. Now open the water valve fully. Do you see how the thick blanket of water covers the pavement? I cannot be held responsible for your lack of understanding simple English.

And don't tell us what to do with our underground when your underground is frequently on fire.

WTF? Are you talking about the underground coal fires? They have been burning for a hundred years.

Last edited:
Following your logic why millions of Americans still live in tornado alleys and storm areas ? You have no sympathy for them as well ?

Dear asshat. The title of this thread clearly says "LITTLE SYMPATHY" so your yapping about "no sympathy" is a LIE you are using to bolster your indefensible position in this discussion.

To answer the question, older homes are what they are. It would cost far too much to fortify them at this point. But NEW HOMES are always being built, and NEW HOMES should be engineered and built to handle whatever natural disasters they may encounter, based on where they are built.

View attachment 287051 View attachment 287052 View attachment 287053
images
And where is he going to get all this water he claims to be able to pump?
For ALLLLLLL those houses.

According to this:

We Compared the Average IQ Scores in All 50 States, and the Results Are Eye-Opening

Californians are 48th in average IQ so they are not exactly the best and the brightest.

They elect stupid Democrats that have a hostile business environment and then they wonder why everything is burning down.
LIke this mean number is from every single human that exists in the USA, hardly....

I suspect the reason for the low average is because those idiots in California allowed Mexico and Central America to export their poverty to their state.

One the shitheads got there they voted to keep the filthy Democrats in power to make sure the welfare checks kept coming.

I'm sorry, but if I was ever going to build a ($x??) million dollar home in the hills of California, I THINK I would spend another ten or twenty thousand or so on preventative measures against brush fires.

These fires are an annual event, and not at all surprising. What IS surprising, is how little the homeowners have done to prevent their homes from burning to the ground.

I see these lots along the sculpted streets of SoCal, and all of the homes are burned to the ground. In the back yards of these homes are reflection pools, HUGE swimming pools full of water, that reain after the fires burn out. They build the expensive homes, and the beautiful reflection pools, but they NEVER think ahead, to plumb in a sprinkler system that can DRENCH the home with pool water at the moment the fire wall approaches and burns past the house.

It boggles my mind, to think that any architect would design a home with a 50,000 gallon pool in the yard, and NOT have some way to use that water to fight a fire. We are only talking about a $500.00 Honda gas powered water pump and some steel piping, after all.

Does this make ANY sense?

b60e4ac2-e4be-11e8-9876-950c8650801f_image_hires_180043.jpg

sei_39883479-a13e.jpg
No different than those building homes in tornado alley on along areas where Hurricane's strike.

Just how much extra water do you think we have for underground cisterns in California? And do you think those underground cisterns will hold up in a fairly active seismic area?

Wow! you folks are really REACHING to try to sound intelligent, but you fail.

You have plenty of water. You WASTE most of it. Water from rain and storms is washed out to the ocean, rather than piped to a reservoir where it can be allowed to settle, and then when the dirt and such settles to the bottom, the CLEAN water can be skimmed off of the top and sent to reservoirs all around CommieFornia.

As for earthquakes, ... um ... you DO have septic systems, right? They use a cistern to collect your sh*t and then leach lines send the water out to the surrounding field to percolate into the soil. So you ALREADY HAVE large concrete boxes full of water buried in the ground, all around CommieFornia, and they survive the earthquakes just fine. Another cistern with clean water is not a problem.

A fire system cistern for the average home would be about the size of a one-car garage. Remember, the water would recirculate, so you are NOT pumping the water out to suck the cistern dry. you are running the water over the home, and then it is RETURNED to the cistern through a debris filter to be used again.

It really does not seem like you ever lived here.

40 years in Hawthorne, Vista, Santa Barbara, Mission Viejo, Inglewood, Oceanside ....

This issue is the WIND.

The wind has nothing to do with it. You still picture "Rain Birds" shooting water into the air to wet down homes, even though I have repeatedly told you there are NO SPRINKLERS involved. Take your garden hose. Remove any spray nozzle. Now lay the hose on your driveway. Now open the water valve fully. Do you see how the thick blanket of water covers the pavement? I cannot be held responsible for your lack of understanding simple English.

And don't tell us what to do with our underground when your underground is frequently on fire.

WTF? Are you talking about the underground coal fires? They have been burning for a hundred years.
I am talking about the mine fires, not the naturally occurring coal seam fires. The fires started by mining accidents and stupidity.

We probably won't take your advice on how to deal with our underground areas.

If it's a big honking space sprinkler

Thats the wrong idea

You run a very big soaker hose along the top of the roof

EXACTLY! A pipe along the ridge of the home, perhaps built in for cosmetic appearance. In a fire, the pipe runs water along the ridge lines of the roof, and water POURS ("not "sprays") over the roof's surface, completely covering the roof with a sheet of water. Now that water reaches the edges of the roof, and the gutters are designed to channel the water straight down along the wall's surface to the ground. The water then falls into channels that return it to the cistern for reapplication. The entire home is continually covered by a SHEET of water, for as long as the fire is a threat. WHY is that so hard for people to understand?

According to this:

We Compared the Average IQ Scores in All 50 States, and the Results Are Eye-Opening

Californians are 48th in average IQ so they are not exactly the best and the brightest.

They elect stupid Democrats that have a hostile business environment and then they wonder why everything is burning down.
LIke this mean number is from every single human that exists in the USA, hardly....

I suspect the reason for the low average is because those idiots in California allowed Mexico and Central America to export their poverty to their state.

One the shitheads got there they voted to keep the filthy Democrats in power to make sure the welfare checks kept coming.
I live by Noel, Mo we here have low average IQ, poverty and filth that is all 100% native born....You'll enjoy our roach infested shithole...In fact every state in the union has some not just California...

I am talking about the mine fires, not the naturally occurring coal seam fires. The fires started by mining accidents and stupidity.

We probably won't take your advice on how to deal with our underground areas.

I'd say, get everyone out, and fill the mine with CO2 or any other inert gas to smother the fire. The coal CANNOT burn if it cannot get oxygen.

Forum List

Back