Little Sympathy for California Fire Victims

The value is in the land. Postcard views everywhere. The polar opposite of Kensucky
Ever been to Kentucky? Every state has a postcard view. And most don't have shit in their streets.
Our streets gets shit on all the time by deer, squirrels, rabbits, dogs, coyotes, armadillos, snakes, birds, opossums and anyone else that feels like taking a dump....

I am sure you have also contributed to the cause.

In this kind of fire there is no run off back to the pool if anything there would be steam. An inflatable home might work.

WRONG. Your steam would come from a garden hose being sprayed onto a hot surface. I am talking about a flow of WATER, that runs over the roof and down the walls, to a well-designed foundation that would return most (not all) of the water to the pool, be poured through a rough filter to remove most of the crud, and then return to the pool's water supply for reapplication.

Do not confuse a spray from a garden hose with a supply of water rated at 1500 or 3000 gallons per minute. Do you realize how much water that is? At 1500 gallons per minute, that is one oil drum of water EVERY TWO SECONDS. A silly garden hose cannot create that level of water flow, but a good PUMP can.

What is your power source for these pumps that you obviously know nothing about?

In order for the idea to work properly, the home would need to be designed from the ground up with a fire prevention system in mind.

The foundation would need to have a way to collect ALL water that rains on the house or hits the side walls, and channel that water to a location. This would include all water from the downspouts and other runoff sources. The water would be collected in an underground cistern.

From there, a diverter valve would run the water out to the street, or over an embankment, or wherever "normal" water runoff would go.

In the event of a fire, a diverter valve would channel all water that comes into contact with the home's exterior and lands at the base of the foundation directly into the cistern for redirection into the swimming pool, after dropping through an efficient filter that would remove the leaves and other pump clogging debris.

The home would be designed so that NO exterior materials can be ignited from the heat of a brushfire, or have any places where hot embers could nestle into nooks and crannies to ignite the home.

The home would be plumbed with a separate STEEL pipe system and suitable nozzles etc., that would deliver a massive and steady flow of pool water to all exterior surfaces simultaneously, in the event of a fire. Picture a drive through car wash.

One or more propane powered pumps would be set up to suck water out of the pool at the rate that exceeds that of a standard fire hydrant. Oxygen tanks would be used to insure that the pumps are not starved of oxygen during their operation in thick smoke and intense fires. Of course the pumps would have fire shielding and other protections.

In the event of a fire, the pump(s) could be turned on. The homeowners could then leave. The home would be reliably DRENCHED on all exterior surfaces for a period of up to 48 hours by pool water that would run over the roof and down the sides of the walls, and return to the pool via the channel system around the foundation.

Doors and windows could be covered by a simple canvas welding blankets that would then be soaked by the water, so risk to interior water damage would be reduced or eliminated.

When the fire has passed, and the risk of losing the home to fire is eliminated, the pool could be topped off and filtered by a mobile truck specifically designed to handle water contaminated with ash and dirt, for example. The water could be filtered to the point where the normal pool filter system could take over, and restore the pool water to proper clarity.

Here come the brain dead liberals, who will immediately tell me how STUPID I am for such a STUPID idea.

I have an idea! Start a company doing exactly that! I am sure there are enough morons in California that believe your idiotic idea will work until they wise up, sue you for fraud an bankrupt your happy ass!

I’m impressed how brilliant and experience you are about fire and catastrophic disaster.

Thank you.

Month of September 2019. North Texas was hit with 10 tornadoes. This is like saying......... Those stupid Texans should have built their houses stronger.
Does that make sense to you?

Yes, absolutely. If I were to build a home in an an area that is prone to strong tornadoes, I would build a home than can HANDLE strong tornadoes. A welded steel frame, made with I-beams, not some wimpy wooden toothpick structure held together with Chinese nails. I would make the roof and the walls and the windows capable of dealing with the tornadoes that are sure to arrive.

If I were to build a home in a flood zone, I would find out the highest possible water level, and build my floor ten feet ABOVE that mark. In Utah, a lot of expensive homes were built in a community called "RIVER BED." They actually built an entire community on a dry river bed! Oh, but the river hasn't flowed for nearly a hundred years! Really? When was the last flood? Oh ... about a hundred years ago. But go ahead and build your homes. This is a 100 year FLOOD ZONE! Now they're all gone. Stupid is as stupid does.

The Santa Ana wind is like a storm of strong winds at 70 to 80 miles an hour. With that force plus the heat. So tell me. What kind of water system if you have a swimming pool do you proposed?

A simple system that sucks water from the pool, INUNDATES the home with water while it it risk of ignition from heat, flames and embers, and the water is then returned to the pool via a channel system built into the foundation and passed through a debris filter to be used again.

Do you know how a water fountain works? Make the same system, just a lot BIGGER.
You really don't know anything about extreme weather, do you? No house can handle a direct hit from a tornado. period.

That depends on the strength of the tornado. An EF0 tornado went through my backyard on the night before Christmas Eve about 5 years ago. It destroyed my grandsons' trampoline by dropping it a 1/4 mile away, and blew down my neighbor's shitty wooden fence. Nothing else was touched. The trash cans didn't even blow away.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is this the way that we should feel for those who live in the tornado filled areas?

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

What is a "tornado filled area"? I'm confused.
The areas that hardly get any peace because there are too many tornadoes going on.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

If you remove the strong winds at 85+ mph and the heat from the equations that might work.

So you have this sprinkler running on top of your roof. With the strong Santa Ana winds and the heat. At least minimum of 125°. And the directions of the strong winds?
How long is that water going to sticks to your roof?

WHY are liberals' brains so DENSE?!? I am not talking about a SPRINKLER. I am talking about a WALL OF WATER washing over the roof, NON-STOP, with the water being collected at the base of the home and returned to the pool for reapplication.

In Palm Spring it gets very hot during summer 104° to 108°. I sprayed water all over it dried up in seconds. That is without the strong hot winds.

Again, I am not talking about "sprinkling" your roof with some sissy Wal-Mart garden attachment. I am talking about 10,000 gallons of water PER HOUR being poured over your home. That is more than three 55 gallon OIL BARRELS of water per minute. No garden hose can produce THAT volume of water.
You realize crazy Cali has an very limited water supply?

That’s really, really stupid.

Has it been tried? No? THAT is really, really stupid!

I’m an engineer. No one tried because it’s really stupid.
The heat alone will melt that tubings that you are talking about.
Then use better tubing.

Oh my god. Why didn’t I think of that?
At a guess...because you're a blithering idiot.

Boy didn't that strike a nerve and prove how right I really am.

No, you are not right. You are just arrogant and egotistical.

Water on a cold home soaks the walls. Soaks the framing.

REALLY? So when it RAINS on your home (cold water applied to the exterior of your home) , the framing inside of the walls becomes soaked? The drywall becomes soft and wet? The insulation is now soaked and MOLD is now a concern? The beading water runs out into your living room beneath the baseboards? Are you trying to pass off that bullshit as fact?

A superheated fire with 80 mile an hour wind cold home go boom.

You are so full of crap you should change your name to BANDINI.

Take the average friendly camp fire and throw in wet wood. Snap, crackle, pop as the water expands and turns to steam. Embers go flying. The wet wood still catches and burns. Please quit while you are ahead. You have never seen fires like this. When I want tornado advice I'll call you.

You are comparing tossing wet wood into a campfire to a brushfire burning past a home that is COATED with a wall of water?

Quit while YOU are ahead. You are talking out of your ass.
All homes built in California have sprinkler systems. In this kind of fire they are useless.

I am not talking about an interior sprinkler system. I am talking about a pump that sucks the water out of the pool at 1500 gallons per minute, DRENCHES the home's exterior, and returns the water to the pool via a channel system for reapplication.

To make the home even MORE fire resistant, a home could have a large tank (or two, or three) of liquid CO2 and a pipe system that runs through the home. When the fire reaches the actual home, a valve can be opened to INFLATE the home with CO2, thereby displacing oxygen. The home will not burn is there is no oxygen to feed the fire. The fire will burn past the home and leave it relatively unscathed.
Neither was she talking about an interior sprinkler system....she was talking exterior. I love it when people who have NO CLUE about life in California try to "explain" it to us.

I lived in SoCal for 40 years. Quit talking out of your ass.

She certainly WAS talking about an interior sprinkler system. California does NOT require homes to install an exterior lawn sprinkler system. I am talking about a REAL flow of water through a series of REAL spray nozzles applied to the home's EXTERIOR. Think 'Fire Hose'
Do you know how fast your system would clog up? Do you have any idea how much debris is flying during a fire tornado? It rains down. Who will be there to keep cleaning the filter?

And how will that keep the hot ash and embers from flying into the attic ventilation louvers and up under the eaves. Because lots and lots of these house fires are caused by embers blowing into attics.

And what is running your pump if the electricity is out?

Let me an answer that if you don’t mind

Who will clean the clog? Kentuckyc will do it during fire.

Embers? There are no embers during those fires. LOL.

Electricity? There is this power generator that use GASOLINE or portable generator battery operated will run at least 2 hours. That dude will be there tomorrow to refill the generator with gasoline and recharge those batteries.
My mother's generator will run for 2 weeks with zero service required.

Now thats dumb....... Farmers comparing to fighting fires are totally different scenarios dude.

Not different at all. you suggested that a generator must be refueled every two hours, and I told you that it is possible to let a diesel generator run for days at a time, unattended if necessary, as farmers do with diesel water pumps when they irrigate their fields.

I assumed you are going to place your alternate power source inside your garage? How hot is that do you think inside your garage? Out side might get burn or blow up?

I already stated that a structure could be built that would both protect and cool the pumps and generators. It could be underground, you know. It would not get hot at all, beyond normal operating temperatures.

Do you know what is so dumb and disgusting about your thread?You are arguing about your stupid idea.

No, YOU are arguing about my idea. I have no problems with my idea.

Yet you are not blasting these people that are talking about shit and homeless that has NOTHING to do with the topic. Why?

What the HELL are you babbling on about?

What the hell im babbling about? See post #233 as an example.

I assumed that you are going to go there and refuel or recharge your system. Because burying your power source like generator with a cooling system is very stupid.

1. The air system that you will use to cool your generator is coming from the outside. It’s hot air coming in. What good is that do?

2. The heat from your generator plus the hot air coming in. Now what?

3. You want to use diesel. I assumed you are going to use 55 gallons. That’s a lot of fuel. If it blows up. Now what?
Just stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

Boy didn't that strike a nerve and prove how right I really am.

No, you are not right. You are just arrogant and egotistical.

Water on a cold home soaks the walls. Soaks the framing.

REALLY? So when it RAINS on your home (cold water applied to the exterior of your home) , the framing inside of the walls becomes soaked? The drywall becomes soft and wet? The insulation is now soaked and MOLD is now a concern? The beading water runs out into your living room beneath the baseboards? Are you trying to pass off that bullshit as fact?

A superheated fire with 80 mile an hour wind cold home go boom.

You are so full of crap you should change your name to BANDINI.

Take the average friendly camp fire and throw in wet wood. Snap, crackle, pop as the water expands and turns to steam. Embers go flying. The wet wood still catches and burns. Please quit while you are ahead. You have never seen fires like this. When I want tornado advice I'll call you.

You are comparing tossing wet wood into a campfire to a brushfire burning past a home that is COATED with a wall of water?

Quit while YOU are ahead. You are talking out of your ass.
I am not talking about an interior sprinkler system. I am talking about a pump that sucks the water out of the pool at 1500 gallons per minute, DRENCHES the home's exterior, and returns the water to the pool via a channel system for reapplication.

To make the home even MORE fire resistant, a home could have a large tank (or two, or three) of liquid CO2 and a pipe system that runs through the home. When the fire reaches the actual home, a valve can be opened to INFLATE the home with CO2, thereby displacing oxygen. The home will not burn is there is no oxygen to feed the fire. The fire will burn past the home and leave it relatively unscathed.
Neither was she talking about an interior sprinkler system....she was talking exterior. I love it when people who have NO CLUE about life in California try to "explain" it to us.

I lived in SoCal for 40 years. Quit talking out of your ass.

She certainly WAS talking about an interior sprinkler system. California does NOT require homes to install an exterior lawn sprinkler system. I am talking about a REAL flow of water through a series of REAL spray nozzles applied to the home's EXTERIOR. Think 'Fire Hose'
Do you know how fast your system would clog up? Do you have any idea how much debris is flying during a fire tornado? It rains down. Who will be there to keep cleaning the filter?

And how will that keep the hot ash and embers from flying into the attic ventilation louvers and up under the eaves. Because lots and lots of these house fires are caused by embers blowing into attics.

And what is running your pump if the electricity is out?

Let me an answer that if you don’t mind

Who will clean the clog? Kentuckyc will do it during fire.

Embers? There are no embers during those fires. LOL.

Electricity? There is this power generator that use GASOLINE or portable generator battery operated will run at least 2 hours. That dude will be there tomorrow to refill the generator with gasoline and recharge those batteries.
My mother's generator will run for 2 weeks with zero service required.

Does it pump water in the quantities that KC is talking about being needed?? If not, you don't have a clue as to what kind of power is required to move water.

The only reason I have little sympathy for these whackjobs is THEY passed these stupid fucking laws not allowing power companies to cut the branches away from the power lines that start these fires.

You reap the stupidity you sew.

Lie!!

SoCal Edison Is Cutting Your Trees And There's Not Much You Can Do About It
You know they were told by fat donnie that California won't allow the cutting of trees and they believe it immediately.

People aren't st00pid. The reason there is little sympathy for California fire victims is the public see's that the people of the state allow morons to stay in office.....the morons who regulate the shit out of the timber industry. Now they are sufferring the consequences of being asshats.They see 49 other states NOT burning to the ground every 4 to 5 months so the attitude is, "FUCK YOU!":2up:. It is human nature to care little about people who are apathetic to their own existence.

No. I am saying, as new homes are build in high fire risk areas, or homes that have burnt down are RE-built in those areas, a pool of some sort, even if it is a nice 50,000 gallon underground cistern that is not seen, should be a part of the design, along with a roof and eves design that will facilitate smooth water flow over the edge of the roof and down the walls to the foundation, and a foundation with channels designed to return that water TO the storage bladder for re-use in the event of a fire. A diverter valve or even a simple overflow outlet would allow normal rain water to be expelled tot he street or wherever. In a fire situation, that valve is closed, and water is contained within the structure wetting system.

Just how much extra water do you think we have for underground cisterns in California? And do you think those underground cisterns will hold up in a fairly active seismic area?

It really does not seem like you ever lived here.

This issue is the WIND.

And don't tell us what to do with our underground when your underground is frequently on fire.

Meanwhile...did anyone watch Frontline tonight? Its about the Paradise Fire. I haven't seen it yet and am still deciding on whether I WANT to see it since I was there in the middle of it. Still...maybe some will get a clue just how devastating a fire can be that wipes out the whole fucking town, and not one person only looked out for themselves. They helped each other.

Did I ever tell anyone how my van broke down in the middle of escape? Water hose popped off the engine...and as MrG was tightening it back on, everyone passing us at a crawl pace...every darn one of them asked if they could help..or if we wanted to jump in with them. We got the van running again, and wound up in the parking lot of the Save More in Magalia. We were the 5th car there, but within 30 minutes, the parking lot was full of cars and people filling up radiators with water the grocery store supplied us with...FREE. The store also brought out sandwiches from their deli, and chips, and paper smoke masks, and wet towels and paper towels and toilet paper and anything else we needed, they brought out and went from car to car.

Sorry. This thread is supposed to be about making fun of people in such a situation and having no sympathy. I got carried away. I don't think I will watch Frontline after all.
I'm grateful you were able to get out. I can't imagine how terrifying it was.

I've had fire pass behind my house twice. Once in 1997 and once in 2007. These fires in the past few years are SO MUCH worse than anything I've seen before.

Forum List

Back