Lockdowns Did Not Work

This is science NOT opinion.

The most basic way to test this thesis is by direct comparison. As of 6 April, seven US states had not adopted shelter-in place orders and their stats are in line with those that did even when adjusting for population density.

Open the country!
Let's see your actually comparison. Exactly what states are you comparing and what stats are you using.
It was in the OP. Read it.

We just passed the $2+ trillion stimulus, and we lost another 4.4 million jobs. Simply tossing money from a helicopter, is not going to create jobs, not if everyone is locked up in their homes, and business owners are going bankrupt.

Yeah, but it is keeping people fed and clothed. And remember that stimulus money - the vast majority of it - is going straight back out into the economy as people buy essentials.

And whose to say that the job-loss figure wouldn't be six or seven million.

And let's not forget you called is 'looting the treasury'. I take looting to mean politicians are taking the money themselves for their own gain. Simply not true.

You WILL get it. Now or later. Your choice.

No you won't. That is not a given at all. I've had the flu once in my life. I don't know anybody in real life who has had the Coronavirus. I don't know anyone who knows anyone who has had it. 34 million yanks had the flu last year. 10% of the population. 90% didn't get it.
Flu is not nearly as contagious and there is a vaccine. COVID is closer to a severe cold. Know anyone with a cold? You WILL get it. Just a matter of time.

Lockdown implement March 26. Looks like 'good' evidence to me.

So what? How something "looks" is not evidence. You would have to somehow show that such a curve wouldn't have occured anyway, or would have been significantly different.

Dont get me wrong, i think it makes a difference and it makes sense that it would nake a difference. But these things are not good empirical evidence that it has.

Wishing or believing something is true does not mean it is. As we are seeing with chloroquine.
You are really stuck on dismissing anything anyone comments about, concerning COVID-19, unless it comes from empirical evidence. Well, we will not have empirical evidence for anything concerning this virus, for about a year.

Anyway, before claiming something “doesn’t work” it’s probably best to actually do research. For example:

Social Distancing is not the same as a lockdown.

Lockdown is a colloquialism, it doesn’t really have a meaning.

Any measure taken to keep people apart is a form of social distancing. The article covers many different types of measures. You should read more than the title.

Lockdown implement March 26. Looks like 'good' evidence to me.

So what? How something "looks" is not evidence. You would have to somehow show that such a curve wouldn't have occured anyway, or would have been significantly different.

Dont get me wrong, i think it makes a difference and it makes sense that it would nake a difference. But these things are not good empirical evidence that it has.

Wishing or believing something is true does not mean it is. As we are seeing with chloroquine.
You are really stuck on dismissing anything anyone comments about, concerning COVID-19, unless it comes from empirical evidence. Well, we will not have empirical evidence for anything concerning this virus, for about a year.
When you ask him when we should open the country his answer is “I dont know” but he will criticize those who give their opinions. Typical Leftist.

You are really stuck on dismissing anything anyone comments about, concerning COVID-19, unless it comes from empirical evidence.
Only when they assert something as true without good evidence. Welcome to how science works. You can use your tea leaves or magic 8 ball, if you prefer.

Anyway, before claiming something “doesn’t work” it’s probably best to actually do research. For example:

Any measure taken to keep people apart is a form of social distancing. The article covers many different types of measures. You should read more than the title.
I read the entire article.

If you say so.

You are really stuck on dismissing anything anyone comments about, concerning COVID-19, unless it comes from empirical evidence.
Only when they assert something as true without good evidence. Welcome to how science works. You can use your tea leaves or magic 8 ball, if you prefer.
Define “good evidence”.

If you say so.
So

I heard today a very simple and clear explanation why nobody wants to move. The first governor to open say the hair salons will be attacked viciously by the media when the first case of covid19 traced back to a hair salon is found.

I'd say fuck it too.

You WILL get it. Now or later. Your choice.

No you won't. That is not a given at all. I've had the flu once in my life. I don't know anybody in real life who has had the Coronavirus. I don't know anyone who knows anyone who has had it. 34 million yanks had the flu last year. 10% of the population. 90% didn't get it.
Flu is not nearly as contagious and there is a vaccine. COVID is closer to a severe cold. Know anyone with a cold? You WILL get it. Just a matter of time.
We don't even know if COVID-19 Wuhan is more contagious than the seasonal flu. A lot of people have developed resistance to the seasonal flu, so they exhibit no symtms to speak of. I read somewhere that the year you were born may have some impact on this.

My point is, many people are resistant to the flu, and suffer little or no symptoms. With COVID-19 none of us have had a chance to develop an immunity, so more of us get sick when we contract it.

Define “good evidence”.
In this case, empirical evidence that demonstrates effectiveness of that treatment. The same way effectiveness is determined for any drug or treatment. I didnt invent these rules. They have been around for a while.

If you say so.
So
As insightful as always.

Define “good evidence”.
In this case, empirical evidence that demonstrates effectiveness of that treatment. The same way effectiveness is determined for any drug or treatment. I didnt invent these rules. They have been around for a while.
We didn’t have “good evidence” that lockdowns would prevent the spread but we cautiously did so to supposedly save lives? So if we have some above average vs good evidence to use certain treatments and or actions we should not and let people die until the above average becomes good?

We didn’t have “good evidence” that lockdowns would prevent the spread but we cautiously did so to supposedly save lives?
Correct. But i was referring to science based medicine, not preventative measures meant to err on the side of caution regarding the economy. Seeing the difference would involve placing a premium on just physical well being, which is medicine.

I haven’t seen it said yet, but Americans gave up on their own dignity what a bunch of fools. Can’t fight for your rights people died and others confronted enemies to give you. Shame on you all. You all deserve your fates

For all you people that are saying that this virus is no worse than the flu or the common cold, well.....................you should use the current statistics and then you can figure out the percentage of mortality.

We didn’t have “good evidence” that lockdowns would prevent the spread but we cautiously did so to supposedly save lives?
Correct. But i was referring to science based medicine, not preventative measures meant to err on the side of caution regarding the economy. Seeing the difference would involve placing a premium on just physical well being, which is medicine.
You disagree that isolation causes depression, drug abuse and alcoholism? You don’t think isolation and loss of business is damaging? That damages those who are and are not impacted by COVID, which mostly impacts those who are elderly and or unhealthy. We never did that study but just locked us all in.

Forum List

Back