Lockdowns Did Not Work

You disagree that isolation causes depression, drug abuse and alcoholism? You don’t think isolation and loss of business is damaging? That damages those who are and are not impacted by COVID, which mostly impacts those who are elderly and or unhealthy. We never did that study but just locked us all in.

The problem is Azog, your God is the almighty dollar. Some of us just aren't into it as much as you. shrug...
Nope. It’s freedom!

Sincere question for my friend AtD:

Q: What is "Freedom" without health?
A: Precarious at best

Would you disagree?
That is up to those who choose to take that risk. COVID-19 impacts a tiny percentage severely. I do not believe I should be under the same restriction as someone who is less healthy.

I just tested positive for antibodies AtD. IOW I HAD it somewhere around mid January shortly after returning from Hawaii and the morning of another Vacay to San Diego mid-January which I cancelled the morning of. You should know what I hope that YOUR health pros SHOULD be telling you:

We do not yet know yet whether antibodies mean that you're safe and that it won't come around to bite you again in the Fall.
That should be my choice, not the choice of some scientists who seem to be more or less guessing.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

C'mon man - You're gonna be like Trump and disregard medical and science professionals - REALLY??
Which should I believe and which should I disregard? They cannot seem to agree.

All agree that AIDS and Cancer kill people. Here we have disparate opinions all over the place. Why do you always bring it back to Trump? Can we not have a conversation without you bringing him into it? Don't be like that deranged drunk, playtime, and obsess over her "donny".

The only "disparate opinions" I'm seeing is between the quacks like Dr Oz and Dr Phil and REAL doctors and scientists who all seem to agree.

BOX IT IN!! - It's the ONLY way we can avoid a relapse and an even longer shutdown.

BoxItIn.png

What you do with healthy people?

Nothing Clown Nuts, other than continue to be cautious and practice reasonable personal hygiene and self-distancing. Why would you ask?
I want baseball to resume!!!!

I'll take ANY live sports other than Friday Night Smackdown and reruns. I'm ready to say okay fine, conduct extensive testing of players, refs, and camera/tech crew and play in front of empty bleachers. Sports fans are SO hungry now, they'll watch in record numbers!

I'll take ANY live sports other than Friday Night Smackdown and reruns. I'm ready to say okay fine, conduct extensive testing of players, refs, and camera/tech crew and play in front of empty bleachers. Sports fans are SO hungry now, they'll watch in record numbers!

Why can we not have fans there sitting three seats apart? Especially since the virus doesn't live all that well outdoors? Baseball should be a good sport to play this live?

Why can we not have fans there sitting three seats apart? Especially since the virus doesn't live all that well outdoors? Baseball should be a good sport to play this live?

Okay - We could try that. 1/3 capacity with social distancing - Face masks? That would look VERY weird on TV but I think everyone's pretty much used to it by now.

I'm first and foremost a college football fan. Get it together by September and I'll be a happy camper. But we should also have an abbreviated baseball season.

Okay - We could try that. 1/3 capacity with social distancing - Face masks? That would look VERY weird on TV but I think everyone's pretty much used to it by now.

I'm first and foremost a college football fan. Get it together by September and I'll be a happy camper. But we should also have an abbreviated baseball season.

Give out the face masks at the park. Face mask day. I do not think we will have a college football season unfortunately.

Social distance the stands and vendors... You can even do a pay per view that equals the cost of a ticket for the near area. Get on with it!

Give out the face masks at the park. Face mask day. I do not think we will have a college football season unfortunately.
You could do the same for football... S/D and pay per view... Get on with it...

Team Logod Face Masks? ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!

These orders would be in the hundreds of thousands which should bring the cost down to maybe a buck each. Considering todays ticket prices, big deal right?

An opinion may be wrong?
Your thread title is an opinion? It's not the opinion of the person in the article you shared. So i figured it was just you making an assertion from poor logic again. Instead, it's just you misrepresenting the opinion of the person in the article. Thanks for clarifying.
It is my opinion based on the post. Now when would you reopen the economy?

The current corona virus crisis has been a unique one in that given the social distancing public health guidance, the state governments are actually trying to keep people home by design. Along with federal government's support, it’s not surprising that Congress’s $2 trillion relief bill, rushed through to “do something", has resulted in many workers getting paid more in unemployment benefits to stay home than they would normally be earning at their jobs. Why would anyone want to go back to work if federal government is offering benefits through July 31?

Only some Republicans, (like Ben Sasse, Tim Scott, and Lindsey Graham, to name a few), warned at the time that the CARES Act’s sharp raise in unemployment benefits, and it happened as they predicted, because additional $600 a week did create disincentives, and discouraged those workers from returning to the work so long as those extreme benefits remained in place.

We should've never close the economy, but just impose social distancing, along with responsibility to self and others, along with increased hygiene and wearing masks and gloves when around other people.
The other side of the coin is the government has taken away the jobs by forcing businesses to close. Since government has taken away the jobs, government should be compensating employees. Everyone I know that's sitting at home without a job wants to get back to work. Sitting at home with three kids that can't go to school or much of anywhere else is not exactly a fun filled vacation.

Team Logod Face Masks? ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!

These orders would be in the hundreds of thousands which should bring the cost down to maybe a buck each. Considering todays ticket prices, big deal right?

I think so. You're helping your fans and advertising at the same time.

So you are saying that I have an equal chance of catching the virus if I'm at home alone or if I'm in a packed football stadium? :eusa_think:

He’s saying you have an equal chance in a locked down state as with a free state
You will get this virus wherever you are. The whole point of locking down was to slow how fast it spread so that our hospitals were not overwhelmed with a massive influx. IT WORKED. Once we hit about 25% of the populace that has had and recovered from this virus we can slowly open up until it reaches around 40-50%. At that point you can open it totally up and run. The lock down served it purpose, now we have to slowly return to normal as people continue to get and recover from this virus.
Exactly.

Sheltering in home was not supposed to prevent you from ever getting the virus, was not supposed to do anything to control the virus, it was simply and only to reduce the initial impact we were going to have on hospitals and health care workers so that they were not overwhelmed.

Now we begin Phase 2, which is observing mitigation practices and get on with our lives.

Obviously if you are in the age group suseptible to this virus, and or you have these comorbidities, then you're going to have to be extra careful.

But the average American can observe mitigation practices and go about their lives until we find a vaccine.

Either we do this, or we destroy our nation from within.

SOOO .. Does "Getting on with our lives" mean going to salons, tattoo & massage parlors & restaurants at present?
Like SERIOUS?
Even your Donald told his puppet Govs in Texas, Florida and South Dakota NOT to do that!
You suffer from Corona idiocy

Yes.

Nobody but you, is responsible for your own safety. If you disagree, you are placing too much faith in nanny state. In other words, government is not responsible for your well being and safety. If you don't want to go to restaurants, that's fine, you're free to chose so. But insisting that everyone else does it, because you don't wanna go, is idiotic.

The well being and safety of the American people is JOB ONE of the fucking government you ignoramus.

Shall I presume you have a large stash of assets to get you through the next 6 months?

He gets a government check. Not having to go to work is a common theme among those yelling for a lock down to defeat President Trump.

Well, naturally, the thread title is wrong. But it seems we are not yet seeing good evidence that the lockdowns have affected the curve. This is an interesting topic that is going to require a lot more data and analysis (instead of apples to oranges comparisons between states so early on).

Ya good point - All the data we get is a snapshot from 2-3 weeks back. I'd still maintain that lockdowns ARE positively affecting the curve.
But hiding from the disease does nothing for us, since if a vaccine can be created it's still 6-10 months away. We cannot lock down for that long, we'd destroy our nation, and we'd have economic devastation, and about 40% unemployment.

The people in the 40 and under age groups are reportedly the most resistant, and need to get back to work, albeit still observing mitigation protocol. The rest of the people need to be very careful, and the elderly may need to keep sheltering at home, and being careful going to buy food, etc... But not everyone needs to keep staying locked up in home, it's just insane.

There are counties in my state that still have not had one person test positive, and yet my governor wants to extend the shelter at home, for the entire freaking state, until mid to late May.

What we can learn from history is that an epidemic has never been overcome by quarantines, but only by hygienic measures. Quarantines do not protect populations in which the disease is already present, they can only buy a little time, but it cannot defeat the disease itself.

Stay-at-home has been sold to the public on the basis of protecting us. After all, our leaders "care" about us. They have only "our" best interests at heart. Right? And what is more terrifying to anyone than their health? None of us want to put our loved ones lives in danger. And so we become even more compliant than normal.

Franklin said something like, “Those who would give up liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Considering the continuous fear coming from our leaders and especially media, I don't know if any of us could feel safe. And government totalitarian response to an invisible enemy should make all of us feel demonstrably less free.

In Michigan, stay-at-home order was extended by our bimbo governor until May 15th. We have feeling that they would like to extend it indefinitely, or at least until elections. By the number of surveys with loaded questions about "vote-by-mail" that seems to be their goal, so the fraud can continue.
If there were enough N95 masks which actually protect the wearer as well others, there would be no need to stay home and no need to close businesses. Without protection, having all businesses and schools open would be insane.

You're right quarantining can not stop an epidemic when you already have a million cases. That train left the station months ago. However, flattening the cure and buying time for medical researchers to develop antivirals and vaccines can not only save lives but can stop or at lease greatly reduce the impact of the disease.

Last edited:
So you are saying that I have an equal chance of catching the virus if I'm at home alone or if I'm in a packed football stadium? :eusa_think:

He’s saying you have an equal chance in a locked down state as with a free state
You will get this virus wherever you are. The whole point of locking down was to slow how fast it spread so that our hospitals were not overwhelmed with a massive influx. IT WORKED. Once we hit about 25% of the populace that has had and recovered from this virus we can slowly open up until it reaches around 40-50%. At that point you can open it totally up and run. The lock down served it purpose, now we have to slowly return to normal as people continue to get and recover from this virus.
Exactly.

Sheltering in home was not supposed to prevent you from ever getting the virus, was not supposed to do anything to control the virus, it was simply and only to reduce the initial impact we were going to have on hospitals and health care workers so that they were not overwhelmed.

Now we begin Phase 2, which is observing mitigation practices and get on with our lives.

Obviously if you are in the age group suseptible to this virus, and or you have these comorbidities, then you're going to have to be extra careful.

But the average American can observe mitigation practices and go about their lives until we find a vaccine.

Either we do this, or we destroy our nation from within.

SOOO .. Does "Getting on with our lives" mean going to salons, tattoo & massage parlors & restaurants at present?
Like SERIOUS?
Even your Donald told his puppet Govs in Texas, Florida and South Dakota NOT to do that!
You suffer from Corona idiocy

Yes.

Nobody but you, is responsible for your own safety. If you disagree, you are placing too much faith in nanny state. In other words, government is not responsible for your well being and safety. If you don't want to go to restaurants, that's fine, you're free to chose so. But insisting that everyone else does it, because you don't wanna go, is idiotic.

The well being and safety of the American people is JOB ONE of the fucking government you ignoramus.

Not ours. We were unique. We formed a federal government to

"establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity "

An opinion may be wrong?
Your thread title is an opinion? It's not the opinion of the person in the article you shared. So i figured it was just you making an assertion from poor logic again. Instead, it's just you misrepresenting the opinion of the person in the article. Thanks for clarifying.
It is my opinion based on the post. Now when would you reopen the economy?

The current corona virus crisis has been a unique one in that given the social distancing public health guidance, the state governments are actually trying to keep people home by design. Along with federal government's support, it’s not surprising that Congress’s $2 trillion relief bill, rushed through to “do something", has resulted in many workers getting paid more in unemployment benefits to stay home than they would normally be earning at their jobs. Why would anyone want to go back to work if federal government is offering benefits through July 31?

Only some Republicans, (like Ben Sasse, Tim Scott, and Lindsey Graham, to name a few), warned at the time that the CARES Act’s sharp raise in unemployment benefits, and it happened as they predicted, because additional $600 a week did create disincentives, and discouraged those workers from returning to the work so long as those extreme benefits remained in place.

We should've never close the economy, but just impose social distancing, along with responsibility to self and others, along with increased hygiene and wearing masks and gloves when around other people.
The other side of the coin is the government has taken away the jobs by forcing businesses to close. Since government has taken away the jobs, government should be compensating employees. Everyone I know that's sitting at home without a job wants to get back to work. Sitting at home with three kids that can't go to school or much of anywhere else is not exactly a fun filled vacation.

Ive been saying for years the left wants to make every American a government dependent.

This is science NOT opinion.

The most basic way to test this thesis is by direct comparison. As of 6 April, seven US states had not adopted shelter-in place orders and their stats are in line with those that did even when adjusting for population density.

Open the country!

Nope, it's a strawman trying to prove a negative.

I have zero cases of coronavirus in my county with strict distancing/closing etc measures in place.

PROVE I would still have had zero without them.

/thread

This is a free country. I do what I want, when I want, and where I want. Thank God I don't live in a sanctuary leftist shithole.

You live in Kansas City, which in every other thread is a "Democrat-controlled city".
Having it both ways in Dichotomy-Land: Priceless.

This is science NOT opinion.

The most basic way to test this thesis is by direct comparison. As of 6 April, seven US states had not adopted shelter-in place orders and their stats are in line with those that did even when adjusting for population density.

Open the country!

Nope, it's a strawman trying to prove a negative.

I have zero cases of coronavirus in my county with strict distancing/closing etc measures in place.

PROVE I would still have had zero without them.

/thread
Prove you would not have zero if you pranced around like you would normally.

"The correct data points and the proper statistical analysis".

Translated as: "I don't want to believe this so I'm going to throw out some big words that I may or may not understand so that I can look smart.

The author is a political scientist, not a statistician. I think anyone with an understanding of what he's doing will see why his methodology is questionable. Here's the biggest issue in my opinion:

The number of deaths is one of the primary reasons states chose their Covid-19 response strategy. The seven states that did not adopt a shelter-in-place strategy are obviously not interested in doing so because they have a low death count. So if we consider the number of deaths that occur in a state with shelter-in-place, like Michigan, against a state without shelter-in-place, like Arkansas, we would see more deaths in Michigan. In his regression model, that is an indication that shelter-in-place doesn't work, because there are more deaths in Michigan than Arkansas. That makes no sense.

Michigan is implementing shelter-in-place because of the number of deaths while Arkansas is lax about this because of their lack of number of deaths. The same goes for cases. This analysis doesn't show whether the strategy is working so much as it indicates prior history of how badly covid-19 has affected that state.

Forum List

Back