Lockdowns Did Not Work

Protect the vulnerable, develop the herd immunity. Only way out and has been from the beginning.

Meanwhile we're arresting people in parks and hiding like rats and it is, of course, way more widespread than people thought, even with all of these measures here.
At a cost to Sweden so far of 192 deaths/million population compared to the US at 144/million.
So, are you volunteering to get infected?

Yes and they'll be largely done while we are still hiding and trying to stop something we cannot, while our death toll will likely be spread over a longer time period as we have multiple waves of this.

And spare me the BS leading question/false choice nonsense. I've been working right through this with very few changes in my life and nobody, including Sweden, is advocating not taking reasonable precautions. This is NOT an either or choice between total lockdown and slobbering all over each other at every opportunity while making no effort to slow transmission and protect the vulnerable- and never has been.

And the point is, for those too myopic to realize this, that there are other strategies out there that have been employed, and other nations that are further along the timeline than we are. As those results start to become available it makes sense and is necessary to assess them to determine the best path forward for us.

Which country has the best results in protecting it population from coronavirus? The Answer TAIWAN! Only 6 deaths in TAIWAN. TAIWAN is the gold standard in protecting its population. Trump's failure is measured by the number of deaths Taiwan has vs. the United States.

Sweden has the 9th highest death rate per capita in the world from coronavirus. Why would anyone follow that example for protecting its population. There are only 8 other countries that are dying at a greater rate than Sweden from coronavirus.
Because you're only delaying the inevitable. You can get the virus now or 6 months from now.

Well, then your claiming that its inevitable that 5 million Americans will die from the virus and we should not do anything.

South Korea is a country of 50 million people, but has less than 11,000 infections. Tell me, when will the other 49,989,000 people get the virus?

TAIWAN is a country of 24 million people with only 429 infections. Tell me when the other 23,999,571 people will be getting the virus in TAIWAN? Realize TAIWAN often goes several days without any new infections at all. Today, the whole country had ONE new infection.

Did everyone get the 1918 Spanish Flu? NOPE. Did the few cities that practiced social distancing and shutdown business's suffer less death and illness? YEP!

NOTHING is inevitable when it comes to a virus and societies fight against it. People can make a difference and save lives through their actions. That was the lesson of the 1918 pandemic!

This is not an either-or scenario.

I know you want to run around with your hair perpetually on fire and think the entire nation should hide until the advent of some medical advance that frees us from bondage.

The rest of us would rather plan an actual way out of this mess. If that is reasonable social distancing, protecting the at risk and managing spikes, more widespread antibody testing, fine and I think that's where we are headed.

No matter what, there will be risks. Everyone acknowledges that there is no safe path and it sucks. States are already running out of money and we're a couple of months in. Thats only going to get worse, not better, until we take a step back and reassess based on what we are learning here and from other countries that have adapted different strategies and adapt an approach here that gets people back to work as soon as possible while protecting the vulnerable to the greatest degree possible.

I don't think you realize how much of the population in the United States is vulnerable. 40% of the U.S. population is obese. Nearly 50% have hypertension or pre-hypertension which is another underlying risk factor.

The lockdown economic damage is minimal compared to the death and destruction that would be caused by letting the virus run rampant. There is NO MIDDLEGROUND! The virus is like a FIRE, it needs oxygen to survive. The oxygen in this case is PEOPLE. You kill this thing by keeping people ISOLATED from each other.

You can lockdown for 3 years or 5 years if needed, the economic damage would be minimal and repairable compared to say being NUKED. Hiroshima was nuked on August 6, 1945, but the city was fully rebuilt by 1958 and had a larger population in 1958 than in 1945.

The economic damage is bad, but its certainly not as bad as what Hiroshima went through. The economic damage can be repaired. But you can't bring someone back to life who has died from covid-19.

In terms of protecting the vulnerable, we have already failed to protect old people in nursing homes. The loss of life in nursing homes has been terrible. You risk killing more vulnerable people by reopening and will only bring another lockdown within a couple of months.

The vast majority of Americans support the lockdown. Most Americans are also not going to suddenly become customers at these non-essential business's you want to reopen. Consumers will not come out to spend until it is SAFE. So opening your business won't solve the economic problem. In fact, it may just put people further in the hole. The cost of opening up but getting no customers for business would be a WORSE situation than staying locked down.

Sure, lets lockdown for 3-5 years.

Totally feasible, and your supporting argument is that a city rebuilt after an atomic bomb detonation.

I honestly have nothing to say to that that wouldn't be so downright dickish that your ancestors would be insulted, so I think I'll pass. Go right ahead and believe that if you'd like.

Look at Germany and Japan in 1945. Nearly every city destroyed, millions dead. Yet, both countries recovered from those tragedies by 1960.

Is the devastation of 3 years under lockdown get you to the place where Germany and Japan were in the Summer of 1945? Not even close.

37% of the labor force is able to work from home. 25% of the labor force is engaged in essential services. So a little over 60% of the labor force is still at work under this lockdown.

Sure, let's truck along with a higher unemployment rate than the great depression for 3-5 years. It'll be fine.

The UN is already warning that hundreds of thousands of children may die THIS YEAR because of the economic downturn. Lets extend to 5 and see how many we can rack up, cause Hiroshima rebuilt. M'kay.

I don't know where you come up with this silly crap, but, again believe it if you like.

Do you even understand what happened to Germany and Japan in World War II? Do you understand where both countries were at in the summer of 1945. If Germany and Japan can survive and rebuild from the state they were in, in 1945, a United States lockdown where 60% of the population is still working will be a picnic by comparison.

You can repair the economic damage. You can't bring someone back to life who has physically died of covid-19. Most Americans understand that and that's why most Americans agree with ME, rather than YOU.
Not the same. People were free to live and innovate. Sports were abundant and concerts. Family gatherings, etc. You want to shut all that down. That is extreme crazy talk to save those who are fat and unhealthy. Why can they not stay isolated and allow the rest of us to live?

40% of the American population is obese. Then there are those who are not obese who have other conditions. Bottom line, most of the population is NOT SAFE!

People can still live an innovate from home. In fact, 37% of the labor force is able to do their current job without leaving their house. Another 25% are engaged in "Essential Services". For the 1/3 of the labor force that is not working, they can be paid to stay at home, just like the government paid 1/3 of the labor force in the 1940s to go overseas and kill Germans and Japs.

Lockdown is necessary. The damage done is repairable. Innovation is actually happening more rapidly right now than at any time in the past 20 years. Bars, nightclubs, Church, concerts, sporting events, will have to wait maybe a few years while this passes on. All those things will eventually return though. The economy will evolve and change during this time as well. As a society, we will most likely be better off once we get through this pandemic.

Sigh...

1471885734876.jpg

Lockdown or not, 40% of population will still be obese, and with other medical conditions. Lockdown wont save them from heart attack, or cancer, or stroke, they are not safe anywhere.

4) Kill 1000s LOL. Same is true for the Flu. Why don’t we social distance and lockdown every flu season?

You're still trying to compare this to the flu?

Flu season wipes out an average of 1,330 people in New Jersey each year. Covid-19 killed more than that in New Jersey in the last 5 days.

The reason for the different reaction between flu and coronavirus is obviously due to the differences in potential death rates.
Typical flu season 30-50k die. Take out NYC, which is an outlier we have the same for this. 94% had at least one underlying condition. Keep those at risk home and open it up for the rest of us. Not my fault some people are weak. I had COVID-19. Flu is much worse.

There are 8 states that are already beyond their 2018 death total for the flu. Mind you, that flu totals are calculated over an entire year and our covid-19 deaths have mostly come in in the last month. It's not a good comparison. Covid-19 is way more dangerous.

Can you post 2018 data?

4) Kill 1000s LOL. Same is true for the Flu. Why don’t we social distance and lockdown every flu season?

Flu season wipes out an average of 1,330 people in New Jersey each year. Covid-19 killed more than that in New Jersey in the last 5 days.

The reason for the different reaction between flu and coronavirus is obviously due to the differences in potential death rates.
Typical flu season 30-50k die. Take out NYC, which is an outlier we have the same for this. 94% had at least one underlying condition. Keep those at risk home and open it up for the rest of us. Not my fault some people are weak. I had COVID-19. Flu is much worse.

There are 8 states that are already beyond their 2018 death total for the flu. Mind you, that flu totals are calculated over an entire year and our covid-19 deaths have mostly come in in the last month. It's not a good comparison. Covid-19 is way more dangerous.

Can you post 2018 data?

Packed...how many of those 75k do you interact with?

3,500 if I don't use the shitter...7,500 if I do.
3,500? Stop it.

Do you know how many people you are exposed to when you touch a door knob or a gas pump?

Do you care if you wear gloves?

No.

You get infected when you touch your eyes nose or mouth with virus on your hand.

That will happen if you are wearing gloves or not.

Then don't touch your eyes, nose, or mouth. And if you really need to, take of the gloves, wash your hands, touch it, then wash your hands again, put back your gloves, continue doing whatever you doing. Why is the problem keep up your hygiene?

The sole purpose of lockdown was to close the economy and enforce vote by mail, to ensure Trump losing the election. Bad news for those who took the risk is, he won't lose.

Oh god.
I'm thinking "interesting post"...and then you add this on the end.

Seriously....fuck'n hell...

Well, you may be good at counting your merino sheep, or herding kangaroos, keep doing it, it keeps your mind away from complex issues.

Guy thinks he's being clever. The death rate would naturally be fairly constant everywhere among positive cases. Only a disingenuous asshole would use that single factor to make such a broad declaration. Slowing the rate of spread is key.
Science says otherwise.
You say otherwise. I'm using science to critically examine the claim which is lacking the correct data points and proper statistical analysis. There's no way to even make that deterination until it's over and all the growth curves are lined up and adjusted for the incubation period of the virus plotted against when the various lockdown orders were implemented.
"The correct data points and the proper statistical analysis".

Translated as: "I don't want to believe this so I'm going to throw out some big words that I may or may not understand so that I can look smart.

Can you post 2018 data?

I was looking at those charts for weeks, trying to find relevant data to compare. In most cases there is no data past 2017, so while it's giving you idea about numbers, it doesn't allows you to compare.

Apparently, people are dying from COVID-19. However, where did all other causes of death disappear?

You disagree that isolation causes depression, drug abuse and alcoholism? You don’t think isolation and loss of business is damaging? That damages those who are and are not impacted by COVID, which mostly impacts those who are elderly and or unhealthy. We never did that study but just locked us all in.

The problem is Azog, your God is the almighty dollar. Some of us just aren't into it as much as you. shrug...
Nope. It’s freedom!

Sincere question for my friend AtD:

Q: What is "Freedom" without health?
A: Precarious at best

Would you disagree?
That is up to those who choose to take that risk. COVID-19 impacts a tiny percentage severely. I do not believe I should be under the same restriction as someone who is less healthy.

I just tested positive for antibodies AtD. IOW I HAD it somewhere around mid January shortly after returning from Hawaii and the morning of another Vacay to San Diego mid-January which I cancelled the morning of. You should know what I hope that YOUR health pros SHOULD be telling you:

We do not yet know yet whether antibodies mean that you're safe and that it won't come around to bite you again in the Fall.

According to WHO...

View attachment 329127

However, they removed that tweet, soon after.

Knowing that they're the one who said that there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission, can you trust them at all?

Now, let's say you can get re-infected (just like you can get re-infected with flu), does that mean we should kill economy in the fall again for three months?
virologists say even basic corona viruses we have dealt with have immunities that last two years. The evidence suggests if we get a second wave it will be small and controllable.

Have you noticed only globalists like the WHO and Bill gates are hypimg the "no immunity "bull shit". Just like the hiding of CHINA'S BS which was political and not science driven so is this hype.

Can you post 2018 data?

I was looking at those charts for weeks, trying to find relevant data to compare. In most cases there is no data past 2017, so while it's giving you idea about numbers, it doesn't allows you to compare.

Apparently, people are dying from COVID-19. However, where did all other causes of death disappear?
Relax...50% of my fellow Jews that I know are in medicine and the Liberals here are lying through their teeth.

An opinion may be wrong?
Your thread title is an opinion? It's not the opinion of the person in the article you shared. So i figured it was just you making an assertion from poor logic again. Instead, it's just you misrepresenting the opinion of the person in the article. Thanks for clarifying.
It is my opinion based on the post. Now when would you reopen the economy?
yesterday, last week, I'd have never closed it.

You WILL get it. Now or later. Your choice.

No you won't. That is not a given at all. I've had the flu once in my life. I don't know anybody in real life who has had the Coronavirus. I don't know anyone who knows anyone who has had it. 34 million yanks had the flu last year. 10% of the population. 90% didn't get it.
I agree, ding, ding, ding

But you criticize opinions that do give a date.
So what? You know , you grasp on logic is non existent. They dont know, either. And they are taking risks without even knowing the risks. I wouldn't have to know the date to know next week might not be a good idea.
the risks they took don't follow any logic. where did you grow up and learn? In order to avoid a number, one has to know what the other number would have been. without that data, any action taken was wrong. The best scenario was to do nothing. That is what logic suggests. know the number before doing a reaction to something.

military men who ran to the beaches in WW2 new they might die. they had no idea the numbers of deaths. they still did it. amazing huh? ~10,000 died. just running toward the beach. one day

So you are saying that I have an equal chance of catching the virus if I'm at home alone or if I'm in a packed football stadium? :eusa_think:

He’s saying you have an equal chance in a locked down state as with a free state
You will get this virus wherever you are. The whole point of locking down was to slow how fast it spread so that our hospitals were not overwhelmed with a massive influx. IT WORKED. Once we hit about 25% of the populace that has had and recovered from this virus we can slowly open up until it reaches around 40-50%. At that point you can open it totally up and run. The lock down served it purpose, now we have to slowly return to normal as people continue to get and recover from this virus.
Exactly.

Sheltering in home was not supposed to prevent you from ever getting the virus, was not supposed to do anything to control the virus, it was simply and only to reduce the initial impact we were going to have on hospitals and health care workers so that they were not overwhelmed.

Now we begin Phase 2, which is observing mitigation practices and get on with our lives.

Obviously if you are in the age group suseptible to this virus, and or you have these comorbidities, then you're going to have to be extra careful.

But the average American can observe mitigation practices and go about their lives until we find a vaccine.

Either we do this, or we destroy our nation from within.

SOOO .. Does "Getting on with our lives" mean going to salons, tattoo & massage parlors & restaurants at present?
Like SERIOUS?
Even your Donald told his puppet Govs in Texas, Florida and South Dakota NOT to do that!
You suffer from Corona idiocy

Yes.

Nobody but you, is responsible for your own safety. If you disagree, you are placing too much faith in nanny state. In other words, government is not responsible for your well being and safety. If you don't want to go to restaurants, that's fine, you're free to chose so. But insisting that everyone else does it, because you don't wanna go, is idiotic.

The well being and safety of the American people is JOB ONE of the fucking government you ignoramus.

So you are saying that I have an equal chance of catching the virus if I'm at home alone or if I'm in a packed football stadium? :eusa_think:

He’s saying you have an equal chance in a locked down state as with a free state
You will get this virus wherever you are. The whole point of locking down was to slow how fast it spread so that our hospitals were not overwhelmed with a massive influx. IT WORKED. Once we hit about 25% of the populace that has had and recovered from this virus we can slowly open up until it reaches around 40-50%. At that point you can open it totally up and run. The lock down served it purpose, now we have to slowly return to normal as people continue to get and recover from this virus.
Exactly.

Sheltering in home was not supposed to prevent you from ever getting the virus, was not supposed to do anything to control the virus, it was simply and only to reduce the initial impact we were going to have on hospitals and health care workers so that they were not overwhelmed.

Now we begin Phase 2, which is observing mitigation practices and get on with our lives.

Obviously if you are in the age group suseptible to this virus, and or you have these comorbidities, then you're going to have to be extra careful.

But the average American can observe mitigation practices and go about their lives until we find a vaccine.

Either we do this, or we destroy our nation from within.

SOOO .. Does "Getting on with our lives" mean going to salons, tattoo & massage parlors & restaurants at present?
Like SERIOUS?
Even your Donald told his puppet Govs in Texas, Florida and South Dakota NOT to do that!
You suffer from Corona idiocy

Yes.

Nobody but you, is responsible for your own safety. If you disagree, you are placing too much faith in nanny state. In other words, government is not responsible for your well being and safety. If you don't want to go to restaurants, that's fine, you're free to chose so. But insisting that everyone else does it, because you don't wanna go, is idiotic.

The well being and safety of the American people is JOB ONE of the fucking government you ignoramus.

Shall I presume you have a large stash of assets to get you through the next 6 months?

You disagree that isolation causes depression, drug abuse and alcoholism? You don’t think isolation and loss of business is damaging? That damages those who are and are not impacted by COVID, which mostly impacts those who are elderly and or unhealthy. We never did that study but just locked us all in.

The problem is Azog, your God is the almighty dollar. Some of us just aren't into it as much as you. shrug...
Nope. It’s freedom!

Would you disagree?
That is up to those who choose to take that risk. COVID-19 impacts a tiny percentage severely. I do not believe I should be under the same restriction as someone who is less healthy.

I just tested positive for antibodies AtD. IOW I HAD it somewhere around mid January shortly after returning from Hawaii and the morning of another Vacay to San Diego mid-January which I cancelled the morning of. You should know what I hope that YOUR health pros SHOULD be telling you:

We do not yet know yet whether antibodies mean that you're safe and that it won't come around to bite you again in the Fall.

According to WHO...

View attachment 329127

Knowing that they're the one who said that there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission, can you trust them at all?

Now, let's say you can get re-infected (just like you can get re-infected with flu), does that mean we should kill economy in the fall again for three months?

If we don't have a vaccine by then and another 60,000 people drop dead, then yes. So WHO removed a tweet? BFD! Scientists the world over still don't know to what degree antibodies for this novel virus render a person immune, or provide any defense against reinfection whatsoever. These things take time.

Hey man, if you're itching to get back out in the world - Cool, go to Albany GA, get a haircut, a fresh tattoo, and then pile like a fearless little sardine into a pub to celebrate your bravery. We don't miss ya if something goes haywire. ;)

Last edited:

Nope. It’s freedom!

Would you disagree?

According to WHO...

View attachment 329127

If we don't have a vaccine by then and another 60,000 people drop dead, then yes. So WHO removed a tweet? BFD! Scientists the world over still don't know to what degree antibodies for this novel virus render a person immune, or provide any defense against reinfection whatsoever. These things take time.

Hey man, if you're itching to get back out in the world - Cool, go to Albany GA, get a haircut, a fresh tattoo, and then pile like a good little fearless sardine into a pub to celebrate your bravery. We don't miss ya if something goes haywire. ;)
If the majority of those who die go out without masks and gloves then they deserve to die.
The assholes riding the NYC subways don't wear masks.

Nope. It’s freedom!

Would you disagree?

That should be my choice, not the choice of some scientists who seem to be more or less guessing.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

C'mon man - You're gonna be like Trump and disregard medical and science professionals - REALLY??
Which should I believe and which should I disregard? They cannot seem to agree.

All agree that AIDS and Cancer kill people. Here we have disparate opinions all over the place. Why do you always bring it back to Trump? Can we not have a conversation without you bringing him into it? Don't be like that deranged drunk, playtime, and obsess over her "donny".

The only "disparate opinions" I'm seeing is between the quacks like Dr Oz and Dr Phil and REAL doctors and scientists who all seem to agree.

BOX IT IN!! - It's the ONLY way we can avoid a relapse and an even longer shutdown.

BoxItIn.png

What you do with healthy people?

Nothing Clown Nuts, other than continue to be cautious and practice reasonable personal hygiene and self-distancing. Why would you ask?

Nope. It’s freedom!

Would you disagree?

According to WHO...

View attachment 329127

Hey man, if you're itching to get back out in the world - Cool, go to Albany GA, get a haircut, a fresh tattoo, and then pile like a good little fearless sardine into a pub to celebrate your bravery. We don't miss ya if something goes haywire. ;)
If the majority of those who die go out without masks and gloves then they deserve to die.
The assholes riding the NYC subways don't wear masks.
Masks don't protect you from getting it but protect others if you have it. So everyone should wear one just in case for the foreseeable future.

Forum List

Back