🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

London 2012 Olympics Stuff

But it is in question, unless "greatest ever" is determined only by medal count (which is one legitimate opinion).

22 medals. 18 of them Gold. It's his title asstwat.

Maybe we have discovered who Unkotare is!

He may be the most decorated Olympian of all time, but Michael Phelps' domination in the pool does not make him the greatest, according to the London Olympics boss.
On the day after the swimmer made history with his 19th career medal, Olympics chief Lord Sebastian Coe called the achievement 'pretty good' but has his own ideas about better athletes.
Coe, a twice 1,500m Olympic champion, said: 'I think you can say it is self-evident that he is the most successful. I am not sure he is the greatest.
Read more: Lord Sebastian Coe says Michael Phelps is not the greatest Olympian ever | Mail Online

For the record, Seb Coe is a fucking idiot.... who managed to scrap a couple of golds once... but "modesty prevents" him from claiming to be the greatest. Modesty? Seb Coe? Don't make me laugh. The man is an arrogant ass.

But it is in question, unless "greatest ever" is determined only by medal count (which is one legitimate opinion).

He may be the most decorated Olympian of all time, but Michael Phelps' domination in the pool does not make him the greatest, according to the London Olympics boss.
On the day after the swimmer made history with his 19th career medal, Olympics chief Lord Sebastian Coe called the achievement 'pretty good' but has his own ideas about better athletes.
Coe, a twice 1,500m Olympic champion, said: 'I think you can say it is self-evident that he is the most successful. I am not sure he is the greatest.
Read more: Lord Sebastian Coe says Michael Phelps is not the greatest Olympian ever | Mail Online

For the record, Seb Coe is a fucking idiot.... who managed to scrap a couple of golds once... but "modesty prevents" him from claiming to be the greatest. Modesty? Seb Coe? Don't make me laugh. The man is an arrogant ass.

Sebastian Coe was an amazing runner. World record holder. Dominated his era. Greatest ever?

I'd still go Lasse Virev, Abebe Bikila or Zatopek in distance events.

Last edited:

Sebastian Coe was an amazing runner. World record holder. Dominated his era. Greatest ever?

I'd still go Keino, Abebe Bekila or Zatopek in distance events.

I'd call him the 'Greatest Ever Dickhead to Organize a Decent Olympics'. Other than that, he achieved little of any significance.

It's not about one particular event, it's an overall view. Since Phelps has won more medals, more golds, etc... I'd say that qualifies him to claim the title 'Greatest Ever Olympian' despite the whiny assed Brit.

Swimming is one of the easiest events to pile up up multiple medals. A single swimmer can compete in multiple events and relays and pile up the gold. Phelps is not the first swimmer to stock up on medals

Does it make swimmers the greatest Olympians? I doubt it

I'd call him the 'Greatest Ever Dickhead to Organize a Decent Olympics'. Other than that, he achieved little of any significance.

It's not about one particular event, it's an overall view. Since Phelps has won more medals, more golds, etc... I'd say that qualifies him to claim the title 'Greatest Ever Olympian' despite the whiny assed Brit.

Coe isn't making out he is the greatest ever. And if you think somebody winning two golds in one of the marquee events in the Olympics is of little significance, I'd say you're off your rocker...

And Phelps might be the greatest, but I agree with Coe, it just doesn't come down to the medal count, it also comes down to the quality of the opposition...

That aside Phelps is a legend. But y'know, I also look at it like this - can anybody on this board honestly say they knew the name of the Russian gymnast who had the highest medal count until Phelps overtook her? I didn't...

Coe isn't making out he is the greatest ever. And if you think somebody winning two golds in one of the marquee events in the Olympics is of little significance, I'd say you're off your rocker...

And Phelps might be the greatest, but I agree with Coe, it just doesn't come down to the medal count, it also comes down to the quality of the opposition...

That aside Phelps is a legend. But y'know, I also look at it like this - can anybody on this board honestly say they knew the name of the Russian gymnast who had the highest medal count until Phelps overtook her? I didn't...

Bad sportsmanship from Coe... no more than that. Personally, I wouldn't knock Plelps achievement... it's a pity that Coe couldn't do likewise... 'Modesty prevents'... what was that supposed to mean if it's not him saying he's better than Phelps? Coe should stick to what he's good at... nothing.

Bad sportsmanship from Coe... no more than that. Personally, I wouldn't knock Plelps achievement... it's a pity that Coe couldn't do likewise... 'Modesty prevents'... what was that supposed to mean if it's not him saying he's better than Phelps? Coe should stick to what he's good at... nothing.

I grew up around the Coe vs Ovett era..it was great for the sport of running...

I see it as Coe being honest...he has never suffered fools and if he was asked the question he gave the answer...

His only real problem I see is that he is a Tory...:D

To be fair, Coe made those comments earlier in the week, and he said in the same breath that he was joking... He then explained the criteria for "greatest" was subjective.

Phelps, who won a record eight gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Games, has a total of 15 gold, two silver and two bronze. He is competing in three other events in London and can take the record even further.

So who, Coe was asked, would he pick over Phelps?

He started with a crack: "Well, modesty prevents me from ... No. That's a joke."

"This is the global pub game," said Coe, who won his gold medals at the 1980 and 1984 Games. "Who is the greatest Olympian of all time? I could go around this whole room, we'd all come up with different interpretations on that. But you have to say he's up there. But whether he is the greatest, in my opinion, probably not."

Again, Coe was pressed to name his choice as the greatest Olympian.

"I could throw out a a whole series of names," he said.

Phelps the greatest? Not for Sebastian Coe - Olympics - ESPN

To be fair, Coe made those comments earlier in the week, and he said in the same breath that he was joking... He then explained the criteria for "greatest" was subjective.

Phelps, who won a record eight gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Games, has a total of 15 gold, two silver and two bronze. He is competing in three other events in London and can take the record even further.

He started with a crack: "Well, modesty prevents me from ... No. That's a joke."

"This is the global pub game," said Coe, who won his gold medals at the 1980 and 1984 Games. "Who is the greatest Olympian of all time? I could go around this whole room, we'd all come up with different interpretations on that. But you have to say he's up there. But whether he is the greatest, in my opinion, probably not."

Coe's gold medals are tainted in that he won during boycott Olympics with many great athletes forced to sit out.
Regardless, Coe and Ovett marked the highpoint of British distance running and dominated their era.

Well done, Ben Ainsley... another goal for Britain! Rule Britannia! Britannia rules the waves! The greatest sailor ever!

Coe's gold medals are tainted in that he won during boycott Olympics with many great athletes forced to sit out.
Regardless, Coe and Ovett marked the highpoint of British distance running and dominated their era.

Steve Ovett is a much nicer man, quiet and dignified. Coe will remain a horse's ass, regardless of his title... Lord Coe. What a crock.

Steve Ovett is a much nicer man, quiet and dignified. Coe will remain a horse's ass, regardless of his title... Lord Coe. What a crock.

Who cares?

He is not marrying my sister. He is arguably the greatest runner in British history. More dominant than Roger Bannister. We are talking about greatest Olympians not who is the nicest guy.

Who cares?

He is not marrying my sister. He is arguably the greatest runner in British history. More dominant than Roger Bannister. We are talking about greatest Olympians not who is the nicest guy.

And, by what standard would Coe even qualify to get on the shortlist?

More medals? Nope. More world records? Nope. The man has nothing. Such is life.

Who cares?

And, by what standard would Coe even qualify to get on the shortlist?

More medals? Nope. More world records? Nope. The man has nothing. Such is life.

Did you ever see Coe run? Try YouTube

Amazing runner. Small man but smooth as silk with a great kick. He ran a 3:47 mile and set a record in the 800 meters that stood for over 15 years

His times from 30 years ago are good enough to medal today.

Not many swimmers can say that

Last edited:
dm_120802_olympics_2v.jpg

serena won the gold for usa! :clap2:

yes!

She's awesome...came back after an injury last year and won the 4 Grand Slams plus now the Olympic Gold Medal! Outstanding!

American Serena Williams won Olympic tennis singles gold on Saturday, becoming the first player to win all four grand slams and an Olympic title in singles and doubles, with her U.S. team mates Bob and Mike Bryan later taking the men's doubles gold.

Tennis: U.S. has golden day as Serena, Bryans win - Yahoo! Sports

Then Williams embarassed herself and the nation by doing the crip walk. You can take the girl out of the Compton, but you can't take Compton out of the girl.

She's awesome...came back after an injury last year and won the 4 Grand Slams plus now the Olympic Gold Medal! Outstanding!

American Serena Williams won Olympic tennis singles gold on Saturday, becoming the first player to win all four grand slams and an Olympic title in singles and doubles, with her U.S. team mates Bob and Mike Bryan later taking the men's doubles gold.

Tennis: U.S. has golden day as Serena, Bryans win - Yahoo! Sports

Then Williams embarassed herself and the nation by doing the crip walk. You can take the girl out of the Compton, but you can't take Compton out of the girl.

Blimey! Murray takes Gold in the men's singles by beating Federa 3 sets to nil. What's occuring?

Blimey! Murray takes Gold in the men's singles by beating Federa 3 sets to nil. What's occuring?

That's two golds today! Ainslie and Murray! Sweet! Fab wins for both!

Well, a Brit just humiliated Roger Federer in 3 sets in men's tennis this morning. Amazing achievement.

You have sweaty man-feelings for him, don't you? That's sweet.

He has the most medals for sure. We could discuss what constitutes "greatest ever" but you cannot, because you are too distracted by your crush. Too bad, it might have been an interesting topic.

Forum List

Back