Loneliness, a country wide epidemic

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012

• In a survey, nearly a quarter of U.S. adults without college degrees said they had no close friends.
  • People without college degrees also reported less participation in social activities like going to parks or restaurants than college-educated adults.
  • The findings come amid a documented rise in loneliness and social isolation.
Nearly all U.S. adults used to have close friends.

The U.S. surgeon general declared loneliness an epidemic last year, citing its links to heart disease, stroke, dementia and premature death. San Mateo County, California, which includes part of Silicon Valley, subsequently declared a public health emergency over high rates of loneliness among residents.

The polarization of society politically I think is driving this, in addition to the traditional family being attacked at every turn as society deteriorates into a dysfunctional woke abyss of human despair.

But does the Left care about unknown numbers of people having their lives cut short by this epidemic? They don't care about the drug epidemic that kills about 300 people a day overdosing do they? No, for them, this is part of the solution, which is population control to save the environment. For them, this is part of their master plan.

• In a survey, nearly a quarter of U.S. adults without college degrees said they had no close friends.
  • People without college degrees also reported less participation in social activities like going to parks or restaurants than college-educated adults.

The U.S. surgeon general declared loneliness an epidemic last year, citing its links to heart disease, stroke, dementia and premature death. San Mateo County, California, which includes part of Silicon Valley, subsequently declared a public health emergency over high rates of loneliness among residents.

The polarization of society politically I think is driving this, in addition to the traditional family being attacked at every turn as society deteriorates into a dysfunctional woke abyss of human despair.

But does the Left care about unknown numbers of people having their lives cut short by this epidemic? They don't care about the drug epidemic that kills about 300 people a day overdosing do they? No, for them, this is part of the solution, which is population control to save the environment. For them, this is part of their master plan.

First, you correctly surmise that polarization of society politically is making this problem worse, then in the very next sentence you work to further divide along political lines.

First, you correctly surmise that polarization of society politically is making this problem worse, then in the very next sentence you work to further divide along political lines.
I have to be honest here, I have experienced and seen many more Trump haters refuse to associate with Trump voters than vice versa.

During the Covid scare it was really obvious as entire segments of a family were divorced based on whether or not they would get the jab.

The first thing a cult does is try to divorce you from your family.

I have to be honest here, I have experienced and seen many more Trump haters refuse to associate with Trump voters than vice versa.

That has not been my experience. It seems to be pretty even.

During the Covid scare it was really obvious as entire segments of a family were divorced based on whether or not they would get the jab.

Yep, with people on both sides denigrating those on the other side.

The first thing a cult does is try to divorce you from your family.

Indeed, that is what a cult does, and you are a happy member of one

This trend has been going on for generations.

In the 40's fraternal organizations were common, and most neighborhoods had some venue where people would go in the evening to socialize. Play bridge, bingo, dance, whatever. It was common for people and even whole families to "drop in" to friends and relatives houses, unannounced, on a weekend afternoon, just to socialize. Often they would partake in a Sunday brunch or even dinner.

Radio slowed that down a bit, as people stayed home to listen to their favorite radio programs. Television continued to erode those social customs, to the point where those social venues were having a difficult time keeping their door open. Now they are all gone.

Two income families led to a dramatic decline in "dropping in" for a visit, as wives spend their whole weekend cleaning and preparing for the next week, so someone just showing up at the door and expecting to be entertained was a bit much. Now kids' activities have the parents scrambling both on weekends and during the week. Instead of friends, as have people we know through the kids' activities - but they aren't really friends, are they? When the activity ends, so do those associations.

Next came the Internet, where it's possible to socialize virtually, and people don't have the time or interest in seeing people face-to-face, except when required (weddings, funerals). We can stay in touch - sort of - with a larger group of people, but the interaction is a bit phony, and no real substitute for social interaction.

But none of this affects me. I'm a misanthrope.

1/2 of the nation--your half--act like utter garbage...and you wonder why you’re a lonely loser?

Look in the mirror.

I am travelling for work. I do my job all alone, come to my hotel all alone.

I am lonely at times throughout everyday
And single-family homes are the norm.

This is being promoted politically, especially with groups like BLM.

This trend has been going on for generations.

In the 40's fraternal organizations were common, and most neighborhoods had some venue where people would go in the evening to socialize. Play bridge, bingo, dance, whatever. It was common for people and even whole families to "drop in" to friends and relatives houses, unannounced, on a weekend afternoon, just to socialize. Often they would partake in a Sunday brunch or even dinner.

Radio slowed that down a bit, as people stayed home to listen to their favorite radio programs. Television continued to erode those social customs, to the point where those social venues were having a difficult time keeping their door open. Now they are all gone.

Two income families led to a dramatic decline in "dropping in" for a visit, as wives spend their whole weekend cleaning and preparing for the next week, so someone just showing up at the door and expecting to be entertained was a bit much. Now kids' activities have the parents scrambling both on weekends and during the week. Instead of friends, as have people we know through the kids' activities - but they aren't really friends, are they? When the activity ends, so do those associations.

Next came the Internet, where it's possible to socialize virtually, and people don't have the time or interest in seeing people face-to-face, except when required (weddings, funerals). We can stay in touch - sort of - with a larger group of people, but the interaction is a bit phony, and no real substitute for social interaction.

But none of this affects me. I'm a misanthrope.

I once read an article that said the two things that killed the local neighborhood was AC and the automatic garage door opener. Some people never open their windows year round and they drive into their garage without ever getting out of their car, shut the door and go inside.

Pro tip:

Men:

Don't act like a pussy, carry yourself like a man, dress properly, and be relatively fit and you will have plenty of "company" to choose from.

Women:

Look for the above.

;)
Some of the loneliest people on earth are married.

“OUR DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH”

Forum List

Back