Lost at sea: the man who vanished for 14 months

Igrok_

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2014
599213c2-e52e-4723-9e10-36b5c450b3ee-920x1020.jpeg

In November 2012, Salvador Alvarenga went fishing off the coast of Mexico. Two days later, a storm hit and he made a desperate SOS. It was the last anyone heard from him – for 438 days. This is his story

Totally amazing story! Very interesting, especially considering that this is life, not made up movie like "Cast away".

Highly recommend.

In November 2012, Salvador Alvarenga went fishing off the coast of Mexico. Two days later, a storm hit and he made a desperate SOS. It was the last anyone heard from him – for 438 days. This is his story

Totally amazing story! Very interesting, especially considering that this is life, not made up movie like "Cast away".

Highly recommend.

14 months holly hell. Where did he get fresh water?

New movie coming out, In The Heart Of The Sea, about the whale ship Essex that was in the Pacific in 1820 and was rammed twice by a whale (which was unheard of) as the smaller whale boats were out hunting its family. The ship sank and the crew took to the small whale boats and tried to make it 2500 miles to the South American coast. They spent 4 months trying to make it.

This is where the story of Moby Dick comes from. Should be a good one, there were some very gruesome things that they did along the way.

If I remember correctly, he wasn't underweight when he washed up on some Pacific island so it makes me wonder :eusa_think: Other than that, he seems legit :dunno:

Awesome story of willpower and fortitude. Despite his harrowing experience, he made good on his promise to his companion. You just don't find folks that stick to their word like that on every street corner. Congratulations on making it back safe and sound.

Highly recommend.

Didn't read the story, did you?

Highly recommend.

I did yes, the first mate on the Essex, Owen Chase, survived and wrote a first person account of what happened which is available in book form. A longer book by Nathaniel Philbrick came out in 2000 that goes into a lot of the background of the crew and goes into great detail of what happened. Some of the crew that survived drew pictures of what they saw, including the whale striking the ship.

It was a very very strange occurrence back then. Whales did not attack ships. This one though, got up a good head of steam and struck the ship headon, then it swam away only to repeat this and strike the ship again.

When I read Philbrick's book back when it came out my first thought was "why hasn't a movie been made about this". Well here it is. Again, the crew members did some very gruesome things along the way to survive. Incredible story. It was to the 1800s as Titanic was a story to the 1900s, everyone through the 1800s knew this story.

Highly recommend.

I did yes, the first mate on the Essex, Owen Chase, survived and wrote a first person account of what happened which is available in book form. A longer book by Nathaniel Philbrick came out in 2000 that goes into a lot of the background of the crew and goes into great detail of what happened. Some of the crew that survived drew pictures of what they saw, including the whale striking the ship.

It was a very very strange occurrence back then. Whales did not attack ships. This one though, got up a good head of steam and struck the ship headon, then it swam away only to repeat this and strike the ship again.

When I read Philbrick's book back when it came out my first thought was "why hasn't a movie been made about this". Well here it is. Again, the crew members did some very gruesome things along the way to survive. Incredible story. It was to the 1800s as Titanic was a story to the 1900s, everyone through the 1800s knew this story.

You didn't read the OP story or you would have known how they got fresh water. Telling a story about the 1800's isn't germaine to this one. Duh!

Highly recommend.

You didn't read the OP story or you would have known how they got fresh water. Telling a story about the 1800's isn't germaine to this one. Duh!

You're right I am detracting from the OP.

Highly recommend.

Incredible real true life story.

Highly recommend.

I sail from Key Biscayne, Fl to Caribbean island about 2 times every 4 years. Out there it's always raining. You can easily collect 55 gallons of water. I suspect that's what he did in order to survive.

Forum List

Back