Louisiana justice of the peace denied marriage license to interracial couple

§ 1981. Equal rights under the law

(a) Statement of equal rights
All persons within the jurisdiction of the United States shall have the same right in every State and Territory to make and enforce contracts, to sue, be parties, give evidence, and to the full and equal benefit of all laws and proceedings for the security of persons and property as is enjoyed by white citizens, and shall be subject to like punishment, pains, penalties, taxes, licenses, and exactions of every kind, and to no other.

(b) “Make and enforce contracts” defined
For purposes of this section, the term “make and enforce contracts” includes the making, performance, modification, and termination of contracts, and the enjoyment of all benefits, privileges, terms, and conditions of the contractual relationship.

(c) Protection against impairment
The rights protected by this section are protected against impairment by nongovernmental discrimination and impairment under color of State law.

That place is pretty close to Slidell where all the dumbass pipeliners at Keesler who have only known each other for a week but want to get off base during tech school get married.

All persons within the jurisdiction of the United States shall have the same right in every State and Territory to make and enforce contracts, to sue, be parties, give evidence, and to the full and equal benefit of all laws and proceedings for the security of persons and property as is enjoyed by white citizens, and shall be subject to like punishment, pains, penalties, taxes, licenses, and exactions of every kind, and to no other.

For purposes of this section, the term “make and enforce contracts” includes the making, performance, modification, and termination of contracts, and the enjoyment of all benefits, privileges, terms, and conditions of the contractual relationship.

The rights protected by this section are protected against impairment by nongovernmental discrimination and impairment under color of State law.

There is no law that REQUIRES the Justice of the Peace to Marry anyone. It is his choice.

There is no law that REQUIRES the Justice of the Peace to Marry anyone. It is his choice.

It is his JOB! And while doing his job, he discriminated against someone based on their race. Period. He looses his job. Gone. Done. End of story.

The Justice can be fired, period. He has no tenure. He acted as if he were living in 1845, which is more than enough to disqualify him. I fire folks all the time for mean or even just dumb errors. His was a mean and dumb error. Send him packing, and send his kids to child protective services.

Originally posted by RetiredGySgt
Lying piece of filth, you are a racist retard and don't give a rat's fuck about whites or blacks.

How about taking a good look in the mirror, Sarge?

You're not racist in AMERICA because in PALESTINE you put any KKK Grand Wizzard to shame!!

I oppose interracial marriages, but at least I don't advocate herding the entire white, black or asian population in the US into Florida, surrounding the state with barbed wire and electric fences patrolled by soldiers with orders to shoot to kill any "trespasser".

You know... like Palestinians in Gaza.

Last edited:
At the end of the article the guy said:

"I've been a justice of the peace for 34 years and I don't think I've mistreated anybody," Bardwell said. "I've made some mistakes, but you have too. I didn't tell this couple they couldn't get married. I just told them I wouldn't do it."

So if the guy doesn't want to marry them.

I don't believe he should be forced to marry them.

The couple just needs to go somewhere else.

Always defending the nazis, huh? He's a sick old fuck who needs to loose his job - at the least.
Where in the article does it say he is a Nazi ??

Gysgt....the responses here are so typical of the left in this country anymore. They don't give a damn that the fact of the matter is this man has the RIGHT to refuse to marry anyone. There is nothing that says he must marry everyone that walks in his door. He DID in fact refer them to another JOP that he knew would marry them so it's not like they weren't able to get married. It's better to just overlook the lunatic fringe when they get off on their little rants like this. They would much rather see the entire country walking lockstep and being forced to do things ONE way regardless of their rights and beliefs. That is until THEIR rights are stepped on in some way.

When SCOTUS passed the ruling that JOP's could perform same sex marriages in the states that allowed it they also made it very clear that they also could NOT be penalized for NOT performing these marriages. The same would apply in this situation. The are under NO LAW that says they have to do something they do not believe in. What you're seeing in these responses is pure emotion......not actual knowledge of how things REALLY are.

Gysgt....the responses here are so typical of the left in this country anymore. They don't give a damn that the fact of the matter is this man has the RIGHT to refuse to marry anyone.

he has the right to decline to marry people for no reason or any reason at all...

but not for DISCRIMINATORY reasons.

In case no one told you, Loving v VA outlawed anti-miscegenation laws.

And why you'd defend racist trash is beyond me.

oh wait... never mind.....

He's an elected official - if he survives until the next election, it will be interesting to see how his constituents react.

USA Today

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadlin...arriage-license-for-interracial-couples-.html

Today's Wake-up Call: JP won't sign license for interracial couples

A Louisiana justice of the peace who refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple last week says he's no racist but has drawn a sharp rebuke from civil rights organizations in the state, The Daily Star of Hammond reports.

The couple say they plan to consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.

Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, defends his actions by saying that it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long, The Star says.

“I’m not a racist,” Bardwell says. “I do ceremonies for black couples right here in my house. My main concern is for the children.”

Beth Humphrey, 30, and her boyfriend, Terence McKay, 32, both of Hammond, said they tried to get a marriage license last week but were told the JP will not sign licenses for interracial marriages.

“I simply can’t believe he can do that. That’s blatant discrimination,” Humphrey says, according to the newspaper.

Louisiana ACLU Executive Director Marjorie R. Esman called Bardwell's move both “tragic and illegal," the newspaper says.

Pat Morris, local NAACP president, says she was shocked to hear that the choice of a spouse is still an issue in the parish.

Bardwell, who has been a JP for 34 years, says the state attorney general told him years ago that he would eventually get into trouble for not performing interracial marriages, The Star says.

“I told him if I do, I’ll resign,” Bardwell says. “I have rights too. I’m not obligated to do that just because I’m a justice of the peace.”

Last edited:
USA Today

A Louisiana justice of the peace who refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple last week says he's no racist but has drawn a sharp rebuke from civil rights organizations in the state, The Daily Star of Hammond reports.

The couple say they plan to consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.

Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, defends his actions by saying that it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long, The Star says.

“I’m not a racist,” Bardwell says. “I do ceremonies for black couples right here in my house. My main concern is for the children.”

Beth Humphrey, 30, and her boyfriend, Terence McKay, 32, both of Hammond, said they tried to get a marriage license last week but were told the JP will not sign licenses for interracial marriages.

“I simply can’t believe he can do that. That’s blatant discrimination,” Humphrey says, according to the newspaper.

Louisiana ACLU Executive Director Marjorie R. Esman called Bardwell's move both “tragic and illegal," the newspaper says.

Pat Morris, local NAACP president, says she was shocked to hear that the choice of a spouse is still an issue in the parish.

Bardwell, who has been a JP for 34 years, says the state attorney general told him years ago that he would eventually get into trouble for not performing interracial marriages, The Star says.

“I told him if I do, I’ll resign,” Bardwell says. “I have rights too. I’m not obligated to do that just because I’m a justice of the peace.”[/QUOTE]

Um, yeah, I think you are obligated.

Unless theres a law against Bi-racial couples on the books.

USA Today

“I told him if I do, I’ll resign,” Bardwell says. “I have rights too. I’m not obligated to do that just because I’m a justice of the peace.”

Sounds like He will resign. End of problem.

She said the couple -- who received their marriage license October 9 from another justice of the peace in the same parish -- have reached out to an attorney to determine their next step
I don't know what they're gonna' sue for, "He made us go to another judge!". Not certain what damages they could get.

According to this, Louisianas' anti-miscegenation law was repealed. That means the law against interracial marriages was re-instated.

Anti-miscegenation laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can anyone find where it was repealed again? Not defending the JPs' actions, just pointing out he may be within the law.

Forum List

Back