Mafia Discussion Thread: Keep Your Torches and Pitchforks at Home!

As long as it's general, we can discuss Mafia theory. :)

When it comes to Mafia, much of it hinges on mindset, interpretation of tone, and evaluation.

Also, what this guy said:

In [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5801696#p5801696]post 14[/url] said:
Just question things that don't seem genuine to you.

Town hunt. Figure out who is town and use that to narrow down your list of scum suspects. I suppose figuring out who is town is another subject but it certainly seems easier to do that than to find scum.

So, I have a question. If the doc protects the bodyguard and then the bodyguard defends the doc, does the body guard still die if the doc is targeted?

Usually, in Mafia, players deliberately contort and manipulate their own behaviors in order to be effective in each different situation. Some advanced players are attempting to turn it into a science. In a broader sense I find Mafia to be a game of human dynamics. It's how Bob, Sarah, Jack, Amy, and Fred talk about which one of them should die, because one of them aren't who they say they are. Now, if I'm a generic monster from Supernatural, and I've eviscerated Fred and assumed his identity, I'm not going to make your job easy.

In general my gameplay is violently explosive and like a waterfall crashing down, especially as a VT. However, that's not always good if you're meaning to survive. As the monster wearing Fred's skin, I'm not going to make it easy for you. No, not at all. I will actively and subtly seek to put seeds of doubt and paranoia among you. This isn't a physical game, so I can't just transform into a Leviathan and maul everyone to death. No... it's a game of wit. I need—depend—on you all being divided in order for me to survive. I also need to blend in and, more importantly, have your trust and have some sort of influence on you. Nothing scares me more than a Town that's working together as a team.

I'll start by making a simple, harmless... joke. Who doesn't like jokes, or charm? Psychology probably says something about the effects of charm and humor on the psyche... too. Holding back to let others talk first, I'll quietly wait for some sort of an opening in which I can stick a claw or two in, while slowly pulling apart at the edges. Question Bob and Amy tactfully, and briefly, checking reactions and looking for new opportunities. If you can sow suspicion amongst them, go for it. Then after I have that little ember and smoke going, fan it a bit, and hope tension and division occurs. Then ask others about the situation, gauging their reactions, too. Then when Amy gets lynched, have a Bob-e-cue at Night, and... then... three left.

...well, you get the picture.

It's all about tactics.

Last edited:
Usually, in Mafia, players deliberately contort and manipulate their own behaviors in order to be effective in each different situation. Some advanced players are attempting to turn it into a science. In a broader sense I find Mafia to be a game of human dynamics. It's how Bob, Sarah, Jack, Amy, and Fred talk about which one of them should die, because one of them aren't who they say they are. Now, if I'm a generic monster from Supernatural, and I've eviscerated Fred and assumed his identity, I'm not going to make your job easy.

In general my gameplay is violently explosive and like a waterfall crashing down, especially as a VT. However, that's not always good if you're meaning to survive. As the monster wearing Fred's skin, I'm not going to make it easy for you. No, not at all. I will actively and subtly seek to put seeds of doubt and paranoia among you. This isn't a physical game, so I can't just transform into a Leviathan and maul everyone to death. No... it's a game of wit. I need—depend—on you all being divided in order for me to survive. I also need to blend in and, more importantly, have your trust and have some sort of influence on you. Nothing scares me more than a Town that's working together as a team.

I'll start by making a simple, harmless... joke. Who doesn't like jokes, or charm? Psychology probably says something about the effects of charm and humor on the psyche... too. Holding back to let others talk first, I'll quietly wait for some sort of an opening in which I can stick a claw or two in, while slowly pulling apart at the edges. Question Bob and Amy tactfully, and briefly, checking reactions and looking for new opportunities. If you can sow suspicion amongst them, go for it. Then after I have that little ember and smoke going, fan it a bit, and hope tension and division occurs. Then ask others about the situation, gauging their reactions, too. Then when Amy gets lynched, have a Bob-e-cue at Night, and... then... three left.

It's all about tactics.
Huh?...........:cuckoo:

Mafia is also known as Werewolf.

I'm outlining what I might do as Scum/Werewolf monster-thingy. :D

Mafia is also like any sort of situation where you're dealing with evil, hidden enemies.

Think The Thing (2011).

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKjErC2JLQc&feature=kp"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKjErC2JLQc&feature=kp[/ame]

It's all about tactics.

That the mushrooms were growing on a pile of cow poop should have been your first clue not to pick and eat them before posting :eusa_whistle:

Oh, hey now, I was speaking metaphorically. :D

It's all about tactics.

You go Wake! Let 'er rip with the metaphor and, in general, waxing poetic about games. I'm right there with ya'.

Let the naysayers naysay, I say. ;)

sam i honestly thought you were scum...sorry we lynched you so soon....

I wanted lynched. You will see why when the game is over at which point you will really hate me, but thanks :evil:

sam i am sorry we lynched a townie....you ...not so much....i still think you are a prick for the most part...

Heh....

Sameech, didn't you say you stopped playing in part because people always thought you were scum? Even though you never were?

For what it's worth, I think Sameech's frustration must have been similar to an experienced poker player playing with a bunch of new players who don't understand betting strategy. When you can't count on the other players to make rational decisions in their own interests, it's hard to predict anything and makes playing relatively random. Maybe he'll have a better time when we all become more familiar with the game.

I've been doing some major reading over at the main site.

We're a bunch of noobs. We know NOTHING.

These 2 games here are the special ed versions of Mafia.

No wonder he was frustrated.

For what it's worth, I think Sameech's frustration must have been similar to an experienced poker player playing with a bunch of new players who don't understand betting strategy. When you can't count on the other players to make rational decisions in their own interests, it's hard to predict anything and makes playing relatively random. Maybe he'll have a better time when we all become more familiar with the game.

Maybe if many of us stop being catty bitches and remember its a game, not a popularity contest with you're on line buds :eusa_whistle:

I have been looking at the site and I think it would benefit anyone else who wants to play to do so as well. I actually understand where Sameech is coming from and I think we need more players like him in the game. I like Sameech.

Forum List

Back