Mafia Discussion Thread: Keep Your Torches and Pitchforks at Home!

I wanted lynched. You will see why when the game is over at which point you will really hate me, but thanks :evil:

sam i am sorry we lynched a townie....you ...not so much....i still think you are a prick for the most part...

Heh....

Sameech, didn't you say you stopped playing in part because people always thought you were scum? Even though you never were?

I did say people always thought I was scum, but that really wasn't so much why I stopped playing--it was why I was changing my playing style some. I can run some pretty odd gambits. People I used to play with found them always annoying and sometimes brilliant (but still annoying). I usually drop a string of clues early on that I can go back to if I get to to L-1 and really need to be spared. My favorite one is to claim to be a PR in a way that makes it look like I am fake claiming as a VT to draw the NK when I really am a PR--it works better in closed set ups though since nobody knows for certain what is real or what is not outside their role PM.

I stopped playing for several reasons: the mod kept designing these increasingly complex set ups that were so broken that the themes were a hindrance to play and sometimes screwed the games completely up; there was one player who was in every game who was so needy he would always position himself so that the win or loss rested only on his shoulders alone and he was obnoxious 24/7; real life stuff made it an effort to play and it just wasn't worth the frustration compared to anything I was getting out of it in the way of challenge/entertainment.

I had considered switching to being a mod in games, but I ended up walking away from the board before I ever designed any for other reasons than anything having to do with mafia. I became very distrustful of the site when I started noticing a pattern of experiences among other posters that were scattered among the thousands of posts a week that made me think either one of the mods could have been up to no good or there were members there up to no good.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I think Sameech's frustration must have been similar to an experienced poker player playing with a bunch of new players who don't understand betting strategy. When you can't count on the other players to make rational decisions in their own interests, it's hard to predict anything and makes playing relatively random. Maybe he'll have a better time when we all become more familiar with the game.

Maybe if many of us stop being catty bitches and remember its a game, not a popularity contest with you're on line buds :eusa_whistle:

I don't know how many of you have played roleplaying games, but mafia is a roleplaying game in the purest sense of the word. All players, town and scum alike, are playing characters and not expressing their r/l personalities. That's what Wake was trying to emphasize by adding the 'color roles' this time around. The personalities we portray in the game might, or might not, have similarities to our real personalities, but nothing we're saying in the game carries any weight outside the game thread.

For what it's worth, I think Sameech's frustration must have been similar to an experienced poker player playing with a bunch of new players who don't understand betting strategy. When you can't count on the other players to make rational decisions in their own interests, it's hard to predict anything and makes playing relatively random. Maybe he'll have a better time when we all become more familiar with the game.

Maybe if many of us stop being catty bitches and remember its a game, not a popularity contest with you're on line buds :eusa_whistle:

I don't know how many of you have played roleplaying games, but mafia is a roleplaying game in the purest sense of the word. All players, town and scum alike, are playing characters and not expressing their r/l personalities. That's what Wake was trying to emphasize by adding the 'color roles' this time around. The personalities we portray in the game might, or might not, have similarities to our real personalities, but nothing we're saying in the game carries any weight outside the game thread.

In a way that's true. You don't have to actually behave like a Doctor or whatever if you're given that role, but it's appreciated if you do. :D

The reason being is that in some themed games it's difficult if not impossible to play to the personality of our flavor roles. If you're an ewok, or Jaws, or Oogie-Boogie, it'd be tough to morph into that.

...I'd probably pull off being a good Wookie, or a Yeti. :lol:

I've been doing some major reading over at the main site.

We're a bunch of noobs. We know NOTHING.

These 2 games here are the special ed versions of Mafia.

No wonder he was frustrated.

It gets deep over there.

I tend to tinker with different psychological/behavioral strategies. They let members have one main account and nearly unlimited alternate accounts, so you can do a lot of practice with virtual anonymity.

Everyone who has oft played role playing games gets upset with n00bs - even the most experienced players trip over n00bs who get underfoot.

Anyone who sez different is Scum.

Regards from Rosie

Mafia is...​

• ...a game of shadows. Deceit. How well you lie as Town or Scum will be tested.
  • ...a game of personalities. What are the strengths and weaknesses of your character?
  • ...a game of discernment. You will need to analyze and read players to survive.
  • ...a game of influence. Is your spirit strong enough to sway players to your cause?
  • ...a game of patience. Calmness and chaos play major roles in this game of wit.

I always said that if I ever had to play scum, I would read my role PM twice, bookmark the night talk link, delete the PM and spend my days playing as if I were the cop.

It blew my mind that people were voting for others in their very first post! The threads still went into a hundred or more pages per day, but everyone was accusing others and defending themselves right off the bat. Very aggressive. Kinda cool.

I saw how things are done there and I learned a fair bit. I'll tell you guys right now no matter what role I get I'll be playing the game differently.

It blew my mind that people were voting for others in their very first post! The threads still went into a hundred or more pages per day, but everyone was accusing others and defending themselves right off the bat. Very aggressive. Kinda cool.

I saw how things are done there and I learned a fair bit. I'll tell you guys right now no matter what role I get I'll be playing the game differently.

Well sure, the first day nobody but Scum knows who everybody is. Too bad new players then assume that because you voted for your own, you must be Scum.....:eek: Hard to change their mind after that....must take a lot of games to get really good.....

Mafia is a game that, with practice, you will get better without limit. Subtlety is valuable, as well as focused tenacity on things that don't quite sound genuine.

People here are way too sensitive for that kind of gameplay IMO, especially with so many women who are not used to trash talk the way most guys are. I played a game where a player killed another player as soon as the game started before that player spoke their first word.

People here are way too sensitive for that kind of gameplay IMO, especially with so many women who are not used to trash talk the way most guys are. I played a game where a player killed another player as soon as the game started before that player spoke their first word.

UberNinja achievement DB: What did I do?
Unlocked by getting killed before making a single post.

One of my favorite roles is being a 1-shot Day-Vig. :D

One of my favorite roles is being a 1-shot Day-Vig. :D

I hope you don't play it like those pansies who have to belabor it and seek town's approval and vote before they use it. I say if you have it, it is yours--kill somebody and let the crap rain down where it may. Outing yourself as a vig before you take the shot seldom plays out well for the vig.

Forum List

Back