Maine adopts constitutional carry

Not necessarily.

Only allowing people eligible to join a militia to keep and bear arms, would disenfranchise ALL females, males under the age of 16, and over the age of 45.
(Standard requirements in most colonial militias)

Giving the right to the PEOPLE gives the right to everyone.

Now, now......you're "interpreting" what you wish to read into the Amendment.....Fully realizing that the writers never mentioned carrying a concealed weapon into a movie theatre to ward off some nut job with an automatic, they DID specifically state a MILITIA to defend against [presumably] an invader.

Not necessarily.

Only allowing people eligible to join a militia to keep and bear arms, would disenfranchise ALL females, males under the age of 16, and over the age of 45.

Now, now......you're "interpreting" what you wish to read into the Amendment.....Fully realizing that the writers never mentioned carrying a concealed weapon into a movie theatre to ward off some nut job with an automatic, they DID specifically state a MILITIA to defend against [presumably] an invader.
and they SPECIFICALLY gave the right to keep and bear arms to the people.

And from the Constitutional debates-

Thomas Jefferson said, "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Tench Coxe, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury (1789), said, "The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."

Noah Webster said, "The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."

In Federalist Paper No. 46, James Madison said the Constitution "preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached,. . . forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition. . . ."

Too bad the facts are no longer taught in institutes of what are supposed to be higher education.

it gives the Right to Keep and Bear Arms to the People, not the militia.

Direct citation:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Let others judge.

And from the Constitutional debates-

Thomas Jefferson said, "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Tench Coxe, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury (1789), said, "The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."

Noah Webster said, "The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."

In Federalist Paper No. 46, James Madison said the Constitution "preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached,. . . forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition. . . ."

Too bad the facts are no longer taught in institutes of what are supposed to be higher education.

I believe you left out some of the arguments against the gun-toting advocates which...eventually....prompted the writers to SPECIFICALLY mention the need for a militia.

Not necessarily.

They never mentioned aborting a child because you were too irresponsible to use/require use of birth control.

In these debates over what the Constitution (and Bill of Rights) states or "meant to state"....we should remember that the sacred document should be viewed as an "ever-growing" and even as an "ever-changing" document......Abolition of slavery, abortion, gay rights, voters-rights, re-districting, etc. were issues that had to be adjudicated in courts and the initial document was mostly a basis for good and fair governance....not the all-encompassing final word.

I stand corrected.....to some extent.....But,

.....just over half (51 percent) of the members of Congress that convenes next month have received funding from the National Rifle Association’s political action committee at some point in their political careers. And 47 percent received money from the NRA in the most recent race in which they ran. The numbers give insight into the depth and breadth of support that the nation’s most powerful gun lobby commands.

An organization completely unsupported by taxpayers, unlike Planned Parenthood and ACORN.

Of you're referring to the NRA, please bear in mind that the vast majority of their funding comes from gun-manufacturers and some of the biggest contributors are foreign ones.

I stand corrected.....to some extent.....But,

.....just over half (51 percent) of the members of Congress that convenes next month have received funding from the National Rifle Association’s political action committee at some point in their political careers. And 47 percent received money from the NRA in the most recent race in which they ran. The numbers give insight into the depth and breadth of support that the nation’s most powerful gun lobby commands.

Odd, I don't see the NRA on that list.

I did notice the Koch brothers at #48 on the list.

Indeed....the NRA likes to use extortion, like threatening candidates who won't play ball with them by opting to fund their opponents.

Indeed....the NRA likes to use extortion, like threatening candidates who won't play ball with them by opting to fund their opponents.

Like Soros, who only supports candidates that supports abortion?

or almost every other donor out there?

Forum List

Back