Majority of Americans wrongly believe US is in recession – and most blame Biden

Our leaders may be dumb, our people are dumber. Forget about whether you think the economy is good or bad, Americans are ignorant of the basic economic indicators. The Harris Organization did a poll for the Guardian and discovered American are massively uninformed.

Democracy has a an inherent requirement for a populous to be informed. Otherwise it can’t work.

• 55% believe the economy is shrinking, and 56% think the US is experiencing a recession, though the broadest measure of the economy, gross domestic product (GDP), has been growing.
  • 49% believe the S&P 500 stock market index is down for the year, though the index went up about 24% in 2023 and is up more than 12% this year.
  • 49% believe that unemployment is at a 50-year high, though the unemployment rate has been under 4%, a near 50-year low.
  • 72% think the rate of inflation is increasing. In reality, the rate of inflation has fallen sharply from its post-Covid peak of 9.1% and has been fluctuating between 3% and 4% a year.

Nothing more than the standard Marxist "mystification" trope in new Dem/Progressive clothes.

Our leaders may be dumb, our people are dumber. Forget about whether you think the economy is good or bad, Americans are ignorant of the basic economic indicators. The Harris Organization did a poll for the Guardian and discovered American are massively uninformed.

Democracy has a an inherent requirement for a populous to be informed. Otherwise it can’t work.

• 55% believe the economy is shrinking, and 56% think the US is experiencing a recession, though the broadest measure of the economy, gross domestic product (GDP), has been growing.
  • 49% believe the S&P 500 stock market index is down for the year, though the index went up about 24% in 2023 and is up more than 12% this year.
  • 49% believe that unemployment is at a 50-year high, though the unemployment rate has been under 4%, a near 50-year low.
  • 72% think the rate of inflation is increasing. In reality, the rate of inflation has fallen sharply from its post-Covid peak of 9.1% and has been fluctuating between 3% and 4% a year.

The majority of the electorate know more about sports and pop culture than they do about the basics of government, economics and voting.

One percenter citygator mocking low and middle class Americans AGAIN. But he/she just reflects the Democrat Regime's callus disregard for Americans struggling to feed their kids and put gas in the car.

Hmm. IMO they polled liberal college students.

Don’t believe the massive increases in food, gas, utilities, insurance, mortgage and rent, just look at Nancy Pelosi’s stock portfolio

Glad to know that everything is ok with the economy. I'll sleep better tonight. :)

P.S. Everything else is ok as well, so I can sleep late.

Political party's working hard to show the situation as one sided.
Don't buy the BS. There is a lot more going on than the price of chicken.
Anyone even thinking about a better future selection of candidates,
No MATER what party they joined up with?

Most people are going by how much they have after filling up their gas tanks and refrigerators every week.
They dont give a shit who has a job or not. Or how much money rich people are making on the stock market.
And for you hacks to tell them they are stupid and they are doing fine is a load of bullshit. Goddamn snobs.

No they aren't. They're going by what they're being told by RIGHT WING MEDIA, all of which is privately owned by billionaires who profit from Republican tax cuts and Republican economic crashes.

People are going by what they're being told by Republicans because they've been told by right wing media for the past 40 years that the economy is better when Republicans are in power, which it most definitely is not - not by any measure. In fact, the opposite has been true since the 1930's.

"Alternative facts" was a phrase used by U.S. Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway during a Meet the Press interview on January 22, 2017, in which she defended White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer's false statement about the attendance numbers of Donald Trump's inauguration as President of the United States.

Now you know why Trump and his team lie about everything big and small

Democracy is advanced citizenship. It has a requirement no other form of government requires: an educated and informed public.

Question: Can a democracy work when it’s populous is massively uninformed?

I am not suggesting people should like the economy but I am suggesting they are poorly equipped to diagnose the issue and decide which ideas will address the issues. That ignorance will result in suboptimal governance.

Maybe we need a dictator? Kidding on that point.

Most people are going by how much they have after filling up their gas tanks and refrigerators every week.
They dont give a shit who has a job or not. Or how much money rich people are making on the stock market.
And for you hacks to tell them they are stupid and they are doing fine is a load of bullshit. Goddamn snobs.
How can you diagnose the problem if you have no idea what is going on?

Democracy is advanced citizenship. It has a requirement no other form of government requires: an educated and informed public.

I am not suggesting people should like the economy but I am suggesting they are poorly equipped to diagnose the issue and decide which ideas will address the issues. That ignorance will result in suboptimal governance.

We have a tyrannical regime in place right now that you voted for. Why aren't you happy?

Its puzzling but perhaps it proves the powerr of right wing misinformation.It also illustrates
the stupidity of many American voters. Perhaps if they paid more attention to the economy and less to banning books and stringing up trannys they might have more informed opinions.

Anyway it looks like many of them are about to make an act of nationa lself harm.

So, what would be the state of the US economy if Traitor Joe, the Dems, and the Zionist Fascist RINOs were not running a

$4 trillion per year deficit???

Traitor Joe is bragging about an "economy" that is getting $4 trillion of "stimulus" for no goods or services produced....

To brag about borrowing and spending is to have no concern for the United States.

Winning the war against Russia would bring prosperity to all Americans.

And then being able to intimidate and conquer China economically would bring everlasting prosperity!

Yeah go with that libs... the American people are stupid... that will work... every time I go to the market prices are up for the same items I buy each week....
I think the poll speaks for itself. People are massively uniformed. I don’t care if people have different opinions but I do care if their opinions are based on misunderstanding. Shouldnt we ask people to understand basic information to honor their democratic responsibility?

They're just not paying attention. Financial stuff doesn't interest them, so they just pick stuff up here and there, most of it wrong. You should hear some of the things people have told me they've "heard", when I met with clients.

This stuff is its own language, and very few pick it up. Then, far worse, you get those who "learn" their "economics" from talk radio and YouTube gurus, and they're just depressing.

I maintain we should require half a year of personal economics and half a year of macroeconomics before people can graduate from high school.

Last edited:
I think the poll speaks for itself. People are massively uniformed. I don’t care if people have different opinions but I do care if their opinions are based on misunderstanding. Shouldnt we ask people to understand basic information to honor their democratic responsibility?
So your poll says people are too stupid to recognize when prices are too high?... and they can't save any money anymore... good send that to the DNC and tell them to run with it...

Glad to know that everything is ok with the economy. I'll sleep better tonight. :)

P.S. Everything else is ok as well, so I can sleep late.
Half the US think unemployment is an issue when the issue is lack of labor. Don’t you think policies should address the act of labor and not waste effort on crying about a 50 year low unemployment number?

Yea but what if the masses get taken over by a con man? What then? I believe this is why our founders put in the electoral votes. In case the masses tried to elect an idiot for whatever reason. But Republicans seem willing to go along if it means they get to keep their jobs. What better way to lock in job security than go along with a coup. Unless it's not going well then back out of going along like McCarthy and Mike Johnson did.

Or be a total sellout like Nikki Haley. A month ago she said no way Trump should be allowed anywhere near the White House ever again. He's dangerous! Today she says she's endorsing and voting for him. Good little puppy. I wonder if she had to s his d?

why dont need another explanation on why what we see with our own eyes and pocket books isnt real,,

why is it you go off of what youre told and not what you see and experience in your everyday lives like normal people??
Pick yourself up by the boot straps and get a job, you lazy good for nothing.

Forum List

Back