Man Walking Dogs Beaten By Police for Taking Their Picture

I didn't see anything in the video that looked like the guy gave the cops a hard time.

If it's true that he was coming to the aid of a stopped motorist to tell him he would testify to what he witnessed, then the cops had no reason to try and arrest him to begin with.

I'm sure the fact that they dropped the charges means NOTHING, though :rolleyes:

The cops do not want people approaching them while on traffic stops, and for obvious reasons.

That being said, I would have tazed his ass if he didn't step away, I don't know why a cop ever throws a punch.

The guy would have to tell the motorist right then and there that he would help him, because you could easily assume that the motorist would probably just pay the ticket and not even contest it in court. The dude had to let the guy know that he had someone on his side and that it would be worth it to fight it in court.

So tell me in five obscenities or less...do you SEE police brutality in the video posted above?

Police charged Ashford with interference and resisting arrest. Hart says, the charges were later dropped because the officers violated Ashford's 4th amendment rights, "they had no reason to stop him, take his ID or detain him."

nice homework.

:rolleyes:

I read that, and I agree with it, but there is a mechanism in place to handle wrongful arrest.

Once he resisted physically, he went from being in the right to being in the wrong.

He should have allowed himself to be arrested and then sued for wrongful arrest.

yea. that's REAL BRAVE to say when he couldn't have known that there was another video being recorded and it's pretty clear that these cops didn't want video evidence to enter the fucking equation.

I didn't see anything in the video that looked like the guy gave the cops a hard time.

If it's true that he was coming to the aid of a stopped motorist to tell him he would testify to what he witnessed, then the cops had no reason to try and arrest him to begin with.

I'm sure the fact that they dropped the charges means NOTHING, though :rolleyes:

The cops do not want people approaching them while on traffic stops, and for obvious reasons.

That being said, I would have tazed his ass if he didn't step away, I don't know why a cop ever throws a punch.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE! MOVE ALONG! DON'T MIND US BLATANTLY LYING ABOUT A TRAFFIC STOP AND GETTING VIOLENT WHEN A WITNESS OFFERS TO PROVE OUR STORY WRONG!

This is bullshit.

During any incident, witnesses are an integral part of the investigation.

You're just looking at a simple traffic stop as though it's something different, when in fact it's still the same legal process.

It's no different than a traffic accident, where the police would welcome witnesses.

It's no different than a domestic dispute, where the incident can potentially be resolved via witnesses.

The cops can be pissed about the dude's intervention all they want, and they can choose to tell him to leave. But they have no leg to stand on when it comes to beating him up and arresting him. That's why the charges were dropped, and they're going to probably see a suspension, at BEST.

Last edited:

Police charged Ashford with interference and resisting arrest. Hart says, the charges were later dropped because the officers violated Ashford's 4th amendment rights, "they had no reason to stop him, take his ID or detain him."

nice homework.

I read that, and I agree with it, but there is a mechanism in place to handle wrongful arrest.

Once he resisted physically, he went from being in the right to being in the wrong.

He should have allowed himself to be arrested and then sued for wrongful arrest.

yea. that's REAL BRAVE to say when he couldn't have known that there was another video being recorded and it's pretty clear that these cops didn't want video evidence to enter the fucking equation.

Bravery is not the issue.

We cannot allow anyone who disputes their arrest to be entitled to resist the police.

Period.

We cannot allow anyone who disputes their arrest to be entitled to resist the police.

Period.

In this day and age where cameras are everywhere and constantly catching these chump cops doing stupid shit, I disagree.

People need to see that we're not a society that's just going to roll over and submit to the powers that be.

The cops are well suited to be able to handle resisters anyway. It does them some good to sometimes have to deal with one that's in the right. If nothing else, it puts them in their place.

Period.

Rogue cops, in this situation, will prove the gravity of allowing bystanders the liberty of their citizenship. Polish the turd all you need to; the fact remains that, were it not for the video above, those two cops would have gotten away with TWO instances of abusing their authority.

Period.

In this day and age where cameras are everywhere and constantly catching these chump cops doing stupid shit, I disagree.

People need to see that we're not a society that's just going to roll over and submit to the powers that be.

The cops are well suited to be able to handle resisters anyway. It does them some good to sometimes have to deal with one that's in the right. If nothing else, it puts them in their place.

well, you know, a guy walking his dog is kinda like a terrorist.... you know.. dangerous!

The cops knew they had no reason to try and arrest the dude, but proceeded to do so anyway and then even proceeded to beat dude up over it because their pride had been hurt.

The point here is that they KNEW they were making a bullshit move, and that's why I defend the dude's choice to resist.

Period.

Resisting arrest is not the answer. Neither is rolling over and submitting.

The answer IMO is to require police to video all their interaction will the public.
SAN JOSE, Calif., Dec. 19 (UPI) -- Some patrol officers in San Jose, Calif., will be wearing head-mounted cameras to record their interactions with the public, their chief says.

San Jose Police Chief Rob Davis said 18 officers will be wearing the head cameras while on patrol in a pilot project following allegations of police violence against city residents, the San Jose Mercury News reported Saturday.

This solution protects the public from bad cops and the good officers from false accusations.

Last edited:
The cops knew they had no reason to try and arrest the dude, but proceeded to do so anyway and then even proceeded to beat dude up over it because their pride had been hurt.

The point here is that they KNEW they were making a bullshit move, and that's why I defend the dude's choice to resist.

That slope is just too slippery for me...it sets a precedent that will get good officers hurt or killed.

That slope is just too slippery for me...it sets a precedent that will get good officers hurt or killed.

The slope is just as slippery from your POV.

Offenders who actually committed a crime and that resist arrest are going to do so regardless. It's always been an issue and always will.

I have to defend a citizen's right to protect himself from unwarranted police abuse. I'd rather err on that side, than on the side of even more unmitigated police authority. They've been given ENOUGH authority in the last few decades.

That video doesn't show anything other than two cops beating the crap out of some guy for no apparent reason.

That video doesn't show anything other than two cops beating the crap out of some guy for no apparent reason.

He was told to move along and he didn't so they ask him for ID he refused, they attempted to place handcuffs on him, which is standard procedure, he resisted, they used neccesary force to get the man to comply.

Shit like that happens all the time, it's no big deal.

Offenders who actually committed a crime and that resist arrest are going to do so regardless. It's always been an issue and always will.

I have to defend a citizen's right to protect himself from unwarranted police abuse. I'd rather err on that side, than on the side of even more unmitigated police authority. They've been given ENOUGH authority in the last few decades.

I would agree with you IF there was not a system of redress already established to remedy this exact situation.

6. Don’t resist arrest. Above all, do not push the police or try to swat their hands away. That would be assaulting an officer and any slight injury to them will turn your minor misdemeanor arrest into a felony. A petty shoplifter can wind up going to state prison that way. Resisting arrest (such as pulling away) is merely a misdemeanor and often the police do not even charge that offense. Obviously, striking an officer can result in serious injury to you as well.

I would agree with you IF there was not a system of redress already established to remedy this exact situation.

6. Don’t resist arrest. Above all, do not push the police or try to swat their hands away. That would be assaulting an officer and any slight injury to them will turn your minor misdemeanor arrest into a felony. A petty shoplifter can wind up going to state prison that way. Resisting arrest (such as pulling away) is merely a misdemeanor and often the police do not even charge that offense. Obviously, striking an officer can result in serious injury to you as well.

Well let's be clear, I don't advocate getting physical with the cops.

Pulling your hands away and taking the misdemeanor that will be thrown out anyway is well within justification in my book.

If they want to beat the shit out of you over it, so be it.

That man who just tried to help a motorist out in a situation he witnessed is now going to not only remain a free man, but potentially even win a lawsuit that in my book is definitely justified. And a couple of asshole cops might even lose their jobs in the process.

Dude wins, cops lose. I say :thup:

Forum List

Back