Manufactured Outrage of Rightwing Veteran Organizations: Remember Trump say about POW/MIA: "I like people who weren’t captured.”

Procrustes Stretched

This place is nothing without the membership.
Dec 1, 2008
Let's see exactly what was said:

Appearing on Saturday at the Family Leadership Summit in Ames, Iowa, the real estate mogul took his running feud with Arizona Sen. John McCain to a new level.

“He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”

The remarks, which came after days of back-and-forth between McCain and Trump, were met with scattered boos.

McCain, a former Navy pilot, spent roughly five-and-half years in a notorious North Vietnamese prison known as the “Hanoi Hilton,” where he was repeatedly tortured. He spent two of those years in solitary confinement.

At a press availability following his remarks, Trump denied saying that McCain isn’t a war hero and said, “If somebody’s a prisoner, I consider them a war hero.”

He also continued his attacks on the Arizona senator, saying, “I think John McCain’s done very little for the veterans. I’m very disappointed in John McCain.”

Trump said something that a little later he says he never said. Sound familiar? Do we get to pick and choose what we want to hear him having said? Of course Trump did say "If somebody’s a prisoner, I consider them a war hero.” but we know that is after he said “He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”

How can Trump claim to respect POW/MIA after that? But more importantly what about the m.o of rightwing Vet organizations (they do not speak for all vets)? "m.o.?" you ask. m.o. - manufactured outrage

Manufactured Outrage:
Organizations with agendas come out during election seasons. No, not average orgs, but vet orgs who do not speak for everyone, yet dare anyone to step into their lines of fire. They will assassinate your service (if any) your character, your family history, your patriotism...

Appearing on Saturday at the Family Leadership Summit in Ames, Iowa, the real estate mogul took his running feud with Arizona Sen. John McCain to a new level.

“He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”

The remarks, which came after days of back-and-forth between McCain and Trump, were met with scattered boos.

McCain, a former Navy pilot, spent roughly five-and-half years in a notorious North Vietnamese prison known as the “Hanoi Hilton,” where he was repeatedly tortured. He spent two of those years in solitary confinement.

At a press availability following his remarks, Trump denied saying that McCain isn’t a war hero and said, “If somebody’s a prisoner, I consider them a war hero.”

He also continued his attacks on the Arizona senator, saying, “I think John McCain’s done very little for the veterans. I’m very disappointed in John McCain.”

Trump said something that a little later he says he never said. Sound familiar? Do we get to pick and choose what we want to hear him having said? Of course Trump did say "If somebody’s a prisoner, I consider them a war hero.” but we know that is after he said “He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”

How can Trump claim to respect POW/MIA after that? But more importantly what about the m.o of rightwing Vet organizations (they do not speak for all vets)? "m.o.?" you ask. m.o. - manufactured outrage

Manufactured Outrage:
Organizations with agendas come out during election seasons. No, not average orgs, but vet orgs who do not speak for everyone, yet dare anyone to step into their lines of fire. They will assassinate your service (if any) your character, your family history, your patriotism...
McCain was a globalist scumbag and a traitor.

Manufactured Outrage:
Americans understand trump made a tasteless bad joke about McCain, v. Tampon Timmy’s stolen valor

It's when he said this and the flock cheered that I knew we were headed to cult territory.

I remember the freakin' moment.

I get sick every time I go by a POW/MIA flag on a Veterans org building. Especially when I am in Trump country, knowing many inside shit on that flag in order to apologize for Trump.

Americans understand trump made a tasteless bad joke about McCain, v. Tampon Timmy’s stolen valor
right

you sick apologist

trump pow mia.jpg

next

You support stolen valor, you have no shame

Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’​

The president has repeatedly disparaged the intelligence of service members, and asked that wounded veterans be kept out of military parades, multiple sources tell The Atlantic.

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery, near Paris, in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true.

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.

There were lots of war heroes in Vietnam and most are forgotten today. Randy "Duke" Cunningham was a skilled fighter pilot who shot down the enemy ace of aces in an epic dog fight. His skills helped to create what's known as "Top Gun" school. When he was accused of taking gifts from lobbyists as a republican congressman the radicals in the democrat party didn't rest until he went to prison. The only reason McCain got a break for doing the same thing in the Keating Five was that the other four were democrats. Before y'all lefties start lecturing republicans about respect for Veterans you should remember what you did to Cunningham.

Songbird was flying an unauthorized mission at the wrong altitude practically begging to be shot down.

Using that premise, Trump was exactly right (like he usually is)... Songbird lost a $50 million dollar plane by hotdogging, and I'm trying to remember... was that before or after he killed 134 sailors and injured 161 on the USS Forrestal? Well, I guess it had to be after.

dims pick strange bedfellows... AWOL deserter TamponTimmy being the latest. Stolen Valor to the highest degree and the only thing distracting from that is his proclivity for doing unspeakable things with farm animals...

enjoy a democrat rodeo...

McCain was a globalist scumbag and a traitor.
While Donald Trump loves to portray himself as a patriot who deeply loves the United States military, his appalling disrespect for service members has actually been a running theme throughout his political career.

trump wounded vet text.png

The latest example comes from a profile of General Mark Milley, who served as the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the final 16 months of Trump’s presidency. Jeffrey Goldberg reports in The Atlantic that Milley came to feel Trump’s attitude toward service members was “superficial, callous, and, at the deepest human level, repugnant.” Milley’s misgivings started during his first day on the job in 2019 when Trump reportedly told him “no one wants to see” wounded soldiers after he met Luis Avila, a severely injured Army captain:

While Donald Trump loves to portray himself as a patriot who deeply loves the United States military, his appalling disrespect for service members has actually been a running theme throughout his political career.

View attachment 993268
The latest example comes from a profile of General Mark Milley, who served as the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the final 16 months of Trump’s presidency. Jeffrey Goldberg reports in The Atlantic that Milley came to feel Trump’s attitude toward service members was “superficial, callous, and, at the deepest human level, repugnant.” Milley’s misgivings started during his first day on the job in 2019 when Trump reportedly told him “no one wants to see” wounded soldiers after he met Luis Avila, a severely injured Army captain:
You are perpetuating another lie. Next.

There were lots of war heroes in Vietnam and most are forgotten today. Randy "Duke" Cunningham was a skilled fighter pilot who shot down the enemy ace of aces in an epic dog fight. His skills helped to create what's known as "Top Gun" school. When he was accused of taking gifts from lobbyists as a republican congressman the radicals in the democrat party didn't rest until he went to prison. The only reason McCain got a break for doing the same thing in the Keating Five was that the other four were democrats. Before y'all lefties start lecturing republicans about respect for Veterans you should remember what you did to Cunningham.
Lots of heroes in Vietnam. Right. Like this guy:

My Lai

Meet the Participants​

From the Collection: Vietnam War

Warrant Officer Hugh Thompson
As the ground operation commenced and American troops opened fire, Thompson marked the positions of various wounded civilians around the village of Son My with smoke grenades and radio calls for medical assistance. After one refueling trip, however, Thompson and his crew observed that the civilians he had marked with smoke had now been shot dead. Hovering above another wounded woman on the ground, Thompson watched as a soldier approached, prodded the woman with his foot, and shot her in the head.

Shocked by this illegal behavior, Thompson came across another group of civilians guarded by a soldier. In an unprecedented and unauthorized move, he landed his helicopter and appealed to a soldier to help the civilians. The soldier responded that he was "putting them out of their misery," and shot the group down moments after Thompson's departure. Landing his helicopter a second time, Thompson ordered Andreotta and Colburn to train their guns on the members of Charlie Company who were in pursuit a group of 12 to 15 Vietnamese women, children, and elderly men. Calling in assistance from other nearby choppers, Thompson and his men brought the group to safety four miles away.

Many people associate being captured with surrendering to the enemy and see nothing heroic about it.
But in John McCain's case he didn't voluntarily surrender.
So yes, Trump should have chosen his words better.
........................................................................................................................................

Forum List

Back