Marijuana abuse doubles in last 11 years

As I've been saying for years now, once you start down the road of legalization, you'll be seeing an increase of use.
Here in Oregon we've had "medical" marijuana for several years, and now add to that the legalization of recreational use, and you smell the addicts everywhere.
Kids will be getting the message that it's now okay, especially when you have adult morons with the continual "it's-not-as-bad-as-alcohol" drumbeat.

Marijuana Use and Disorders Have Doubled Since 2001

There were especially large increases among women, blacks, Hispanics, southerners and middle-aged and older people.(Photo: Getty Images)

As attitudes and laws in the U.S. have become more tolerant of marijuana, the proportion of adults using and abusing the substance at least doubled between 2001 and 2013, according to a new study.

Although marijuana dependence and abuse was found to be on the rise, that is largely due to the overall increase in new users, researchers note, while existing marijuana users experienced a 15 percent decline in pot-related disorders.

About 4 percent of adults between 2001 and 2002 reported having used marijuana in the past year, compared to about 10 percent between 2012 and 2013. Similarly, 1.5 percent had abuse or dependence problems - so-called marijuana use disorder - at the start of the 21st Century, compared to about 3 percent from 2012 to 2013.

“What was quite clear is the prevalence of use among adults had more than doubled,” said Deborah Hasin, the study’s lead author from Columbia University in New York.

Twenty-three U.S. states allow for medical marijuana use, and four also allow recreational use, the researchers write in JAMA Psychiatry. More Americans also favor marijuana legalization than before, and fewer see the substance as risky.

Yet, the researchers write, little was known about how the prevalence of marijuana use and disorders changed during the first decade of the century.
For the new study, they compared data from face-to-face interviews with over 43,000 U.S. adults between 2001 and 2002 to data from over 36,000 people collected between 2012 and 2013.

They found that reports of having used marijuana in the past year more than doubled between the two time periods with especially large increases among women, blacks, Hispanics, southerners and middle-aged and older people.
The data also included information on whether participants were experiencing abuse or dependence.

Aren't people free to abuse their own bodies?

Maybe if people had more to live for, they'd be less likely to do this.

More to live for? Like what more do people need?

Like a decent job.

I was unemployed and had low paying jobs when I was young. There were months of $200 for my wife and two kids and I didn't think a vice was a way out. You are looking for an excuse, not a reason.

No, I'm not. People are different. Just because you do something, doesn't mean EVERYONE does it.

As I've been saying for years now, once you start down the road of legalization, you'll be seeing an increase of use.
Here in Oregon we've had "medical" marijuana for several years, and now add to that the legalization of recreational use, and you smell the addicts everywhere.
Kids will be getting the message that it's now okay, especially when you have adult morons with the continual "it's-not-as-bad-as-alcohol" drumbeat.

There were especially large increases among women, blacks, Hispanics, southerners and middle-aged and older people.(Photo: Getty Images)

As attitudes and laws in the U.S. have become more tolerant of marijuana, the proportion of adults using and abusing the substance at least doubled between 2001 and 2013, according to a new study.

Although marijuana dependence and abuse was found to be on the rise, that is largely due to the overall increase in new users, researchers note, while existing marijuana users experienced a 15 percent decline in pot-related disorders.

About 4 percent of adults between 2001 and 2002 reported having used marijuana in the past year, compared to about 10 percent between 2012 and 2013. Similarly, 1.5 percent had abuse or dependence problems - so-called marijuana use disorder - at the start of the 21st Century, compared to about 3 percent from 2012 to 2013.

“What was quite clear is the prevalence of use among adults had more than doubled,” said Deborah Hasin, the study’s lead author from Columbia University in New York.

Twenty-three U.S. states allow for medical marijuana use, and four also allow recreational use, the researchers write in JAMA Psychiatry. More Americans also favor marijuana legalization than before, and fewer see the substance as risky.

Yet, the researchers write, little was known about how the prevalence of marijuana use and disorders changed during the first decade of the century.
For the new study, they compared data from face-to-face interviews with over 43,000 U.S. adults between 2001 and 2002 to data from over 36,000 people collected between 2012 and 2013.

They found that reports of having used marijuana in the past year more than doubled between the two time periods with especially large increases among women, blacks, Hispanics, southerners and middle-aged and older people.
The data also included information on whether participants were experiencing abuse or dependence.

If they are to be truly free to abuse their bodies, stop complaining about overdose deaths and close the useless rehab centers.

Why not tax Marijuana and then use this tax money to pay for such things?

Legalize all drugs and tax the hell out of it. You would get less contaminated drugs and take the tax money for rehab facilities.

Thank you for repeating what I just said in a different way.

If they are to be truly free to abuse their bodies, stop complaining about overdose deaths and close the useless rehab centers.

Legalize all drugs and tax the hell out of it. You would get less contaminated drugs and take the tax money for rehab facilities.
Yeah, that's what we need, an entire society infected with Munchausen Syndrome. Facilitate people's decline into drug abuse and then take care of them.

Ah, make marijuana legal and everyone will do it.

Caffeine is legal, I don't do caffeine.
Alcohol is legal, I don't do caffeine.
Tobacco is legal, I don't do tobacco.

What makes you think I'd do marijuana?

Yeah, that's what we need, an entire society infected with Munchausen Syndrome. Facilitate people's decline into drug abuse and then take care of them.

Who said everyone will do it?

Only if you're ignorant if the risks of pot, which most pot advocates are.
Time to get beyond the 1960's.
What do you believe ARE the risks of pot?
Anxiety disorder and depression. Both of which are crippling and can be life sentences.
people with those problems should not be doing any drugs let alone pot.....
Geez, you're stupid. The pot caused the disorders and the conditions are mostly permanent. You are a posterchild for the damaging effects of pot on intellect.
hey dumbass .....anything you are trying for the first time can do anything from causing a reaction to killing you.....you are supposed to be smart enough to know that going in.....so whats your excuse?....
Hey dumber-ass, I'm telling you -- warning you -- about the risks of pot that you and your fellow moronic pot addicts continue to deny so don't lecture me about warnings, hypocrite.

You said marijuana, I expanded it to all drugs and you think that is the same? Maybe you should stop using all those drugs.

People are going to get it no matter what. Why not have the government control it, less deaths and ER visits because of some dealer cutting drugs with deadly ingredients. This way pharmacy would control it and know who is using and abusing. Then we can use tax money from the sale of drugs to put into rehab centers and let people get real treatment and real solutions to recover from their addictions. All we do today is sweep the addiction to the back and demonize the abusers. Alcoholism didn't destroy the country when it went legal. We need solutions and the current way isn't working. Too many are self medicating and they need help.

Please tell me how keeping drugs illegal stops anything. The reason we have so many heroin users die because they can't afford prescription opiates.

How is your way better?

Oh, make marijuana legal and everyone will do it.

You should, maybe your sphincter wouldn't be so tight.

Pot is a dangerous drug for some people.[...]
Some people can die from eating one peanut. Some people can die from one bee sting. And there are many other things that "some people" cannot biologically tolerate.

I've been around for a long time. I know and have known many people who use and have used marijuana on a regular basis, none of whom have been harmed in any way by it.

So do yourself a big favor and don't allow Reefer Madness propaganda to close your mind to the fact that very few individuals are allergic to cannabis and the vast majority of those who appear to be harmed by it are actually using other substances or have yet unidentified medical problems.

LOL. JUST THEIR BRAIN CELLS AND THEIR AMBITION AND THEIR JOBLESSNESS.

LOL. JUST THEIR BRAIN CELLS AND THEIR AMBITION AND THEIR JOBLESSNESS.
Marijuana causes white women to seek to have sex with Blacks:ack-1:
quote-there-are-100-000-total-marijuana-smokers-in-the-us-and-most-are-negroes-hispanics-filipinos-harry-j-anslinger-66-63-90.jpg

Hemp_anslinger_video_BA31792B-5056-8D7B-05A21CD8B6ABAAA4.png

Who said everyone will do it?

"an entire society infected with Munchausen Syndrome."

You did.

You said marijuana, I expanded it to all drugs and you think that is the same? Maybe you should stop using all those drugs.

Maybe you should stop being so fucking aggressive.

Oh, make marijuana legal and everyone will do it.

You should, maybe your sphincter wouldn't be so tight.

And what makes you think I'm uptight then? Because I showed that you're talking crap and you wanted to attack me to save face?

People are going to get it no matter what. Why not have the government control it, less deaths and ER visits because of some dealer cutting drugs with deadly ingredients. This way pharmacy would control it and know who is using and abusing. Then we can use tax money from the sale of drugs to put into rehab centers and let people get real treatment and real solutions to recover from their addictions. All we do today is sweep the addiction to the back and demonize the abusers. Alcoholism didn't destroy the country when it went legal. We need solutions and the current way isn't working. Too many are self medicating and they need help.

Please tell me how keeping drugs illegal stops anything. The reason we have so many heroin users die because they can't afford prescription opiates.

How is your way better?
There's no easy answer to drugs, but giving up is not the answer. Donald Trump's wall will do a lot to keep them from getting here to begin with, bringing the total amount on the street to manageable levels. Then we work to get help for addicts and lock up poisoners for life, no parole. That's how we do it. Everyone talks about illegal immigration, but nobody talks about the rivers of drugs smuggled through our porous borders. Fix this problem and we'll be halfway there to fixing the rest.

Maybe you should stop being so fucking aggressive.

Maybe you shouldn't be such a asshole.

How is your way better?
There's no easy answer to drugs, but giving up is not the answer. Donald Trump's wall will do a lot to keep them from getting here to begin with, bringing the total amount on the street to manageable levels. Then we work to get help for addicts and lock up poisoners for life, no parole. That's how we do it. Everyone talks about illegal immigration, but nobody talks about the rivers of drugs smuggled through our porous borders. Fix this problem and we'll be halfway there to fixing the rest.

It's not giving up, it is a solution to sending people to prison and punishing them for self medicating. Sending an addict to prison for life isn't going to help anyone. Sending a dealer to prison is a good idea, not the addict. We need to solve the issue of how to help people who self medicate. Closing the borders won't stop meth, won't stop opiates, won't stop ecstasy and other synthetic drugs which are now flooding the market and made here in the US. Did you know drinking a cup of coca tea will help an addict stay clean, yet it is tough to find in this country and expensive when found.

You are correct there is no easy answer but bringing it into the open might be a start, then we can work to educate people on how to deal with issues and not using drugs. We have lost the war on drugs and we have lost it badly. The number one addiction now is opiates, created by our own doctors. Those sworn to save the lives of patients now have created our worse nightmare. Prescription Drug Overdose Data | Prescription Drug Overdose | CDC Injury Center

I am against people using drugs, of all kinds. They are not a solution to any problem and prescription drugs for the most part just mask symptoms instead of solving the real issue.

Stop taking care of them. Let them go. Wouldn't you like to see legal krokodil?

Smoke is harmful to lung health. Whether from burning wood, tobacco or marijuana, toxins and carcinogens are released from the combustion of materials. Smoke from marijuana combustion has been shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants and carcinogens as tobacco smoke.4-7

Marijuana and Lung Health

Pothead websites dismissed with prejudice. Real, accurate info from trusted sources to combat the pothead myths.

The number one source is the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Dismissed as prejudice.

20 Medical Studies That Show Cannabis Can Be A Potential Cure For Cancer

Smoke is harmful to lung health. Whether from burning wood, tobacco or marijuana, toxins and carcinogens are released from the combustion of materials. Smoke from marijuana combustion has been shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants and carcinogens as tobacco smoke.4-7

Marijuana and Lung Health

Pothead websites dismissed with prejudice. Real, accurate info from trusted sources to combat the pothead myths.

The number one source is the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Dismissed as prejudice.

20 Medical Studies That Show Cannabis Can Be A Potential Cure For Cancer

I agree, ingesting it will help, however smoking it increases the risk because of the carcinogens released when exposed to high heat. Inhaling smoke into your lungs, no matter the smoke is a health risk.

Good post. Here comes the potheads now.

9-celebrity-zombie-cameos-hidden-amongst-the-horde-590656.jpg
How many disorders have they helped? Pot was legalized for medicinal purposes and has been used in that manner for thousands of years.

Forum List

Back