Marriage Matters: Consequences of Redefining Marriage

Could anyone please, in one post, clearly and succinctly, identify one bad consequence of giving same sex marriage equal status with opposite sex marriage,

and then explain why that consequence is sufficiently bad that it justifies the government opposing this?

Just ONE, please?

the children of queer marriages will be denied either their mother or their father....

this has the potential to cause both personal and societal problems...

Studies of the children of gay parents prove you wrong. Our children are at no disadvantage to yours.

Our children are never ever "oopsies"....that is a distinct advantage.

Could anyone please, in one post, clearly and succinctly, identify one bad consequence of giving same sex marriage equal status with opposite sex marriage,

and then explain why that consequence is sufficiently bad that it justifies the government opposing this?

Just ONE, please?

the children of queer marriages will be denied either their mother or their father....

By your argument, shouldn't we be banning divorce rather than gay marriage?

Tax-paying gay citizens have been paying out straight benefits all along. But what you want is to have your cake and not share. Figures.

I would be happy to oblige your discrimination arguement: Rather than excluding queers, we should dismantal the social security system for everyone as a result of increased costs associated with legal queer marriage.

By your argument, gays have been paying into our tax system for hundreds of years without being eligible for the benefits

If anything, we should be paying gays greater federal benefits to make up for what was lost

Reparations? To whom? Anyone that claims to be queer?

Suddenly I feel the urge to wear a feather boa and listen to show tunes.

Just ONE, please?

My 11 year old would say so. Yesterday she said she felt sorry for all her friends because their parents are divorced.

I would be happy to oblige your discrimination arguement: Rather than excluding queers, we should dismantal the social security system for everyone as a result of increased costs associated with legal queer marriage.

By your argument, gays have been paying into our tax system for hundreds of years without being eligible for the benefits

If anything, we should be paying gays greater federal benefits to make up for what was lost

You seem to want to deny them the benefits they have been paying in to

Just ONE, please?

Do you we really need to talk about everything that is LEGAL which has the POTENTIAL to cause personal and societal problems?

Every time there is a birth, there is the potential to cause personal and societal problems.

My 11 year old would say so. Yesterday she said she felt sorry for all her friends because their parents are divorced.

I know...a lot of my daughter's friends' parents are divorced. Another one's parents are splitting right now because the father found a young honey.

Just ONE, please?

Obviously the 14th Amendment is needed now as any time in our Nation’s history.

No...but I'll take the extra money I've been paying for my legal spouse's healthcare because of DOMA. We've been legally married four years now.

Ending the Gay Health Care Tax

You seem to want to deny them the benefits they have been paying in to

No, I'd be happy denying everyone surviving spousal benefits.

Not just queers, albinos, dwarves, or donkey-show enthusiasts.

The fact is that kids do not need a mother and a father. If they did, it would be illegal to be a single parent. Instead, single women have babies all the time, and no one bats an eye.

Without reading the rest of the responses, I assure you many eyes are batted.

Children born to single parent households are more likely to be economically disadvantaged than children born into two-parent households.

No...but I'll take the extra money I've been paying for my legal spouse's healthcare because of DOMA. We've been legally married four years now.

What? You feel you've been unfairly treated by the US Government!

:eek::eek::eek:

What a unique perspective.

The fact is that kids do not need a mother and a father. If they did, it would be illegal to be a single parent. Instead, single women have babies all the time, and no one bats an eye.

Without reading the rest of the responses, I assure you many eyes are batted.

Children born to single parent households are more likely to be economically disadvantaged than children born into two-parent households.

And what laws are being enacted to prevent that from happening?

I'm starting to get behind this "get government out of marriage" kick some conservatives are on...

Just think of the money saved! No more military married benefits, extra moving allowances, base housing, etc. We're talking Billions here! Not to mention all the revenue when married folk don't get tax breaks anymore...

Last edited:
I'm starting to get behind this "get government out of marriage" kick some conservatives are on...

Just think of the money saved! No more military married benefits, extra moving allowances, base housing, etc. we're talking Billions here! Not to mention all the revenue when married folk don't get tax breaks anymore...

Just think of the money that would have to go to food stamps for families whose earnings fell short of being able to afford to buy food for their children!

Yeah, Seawytch, throw the book at those greedy minimum wage parents!

Conservatism has its uses--like paying attention to the $5000 toilet seats line items, etc., which wreaks of kickbacks to a pol.

Just ONE, please?

Deep thoughts, Clayton.

But I'm pretty sure the Congress that Ratified the 14th in 1868 were not focusing their efforts so that anyone could claim to be queer, then become "married" so they could enjoy married privilages.

But now that the GLBT community has revealed horrible consequences of discrimination, we should no doubt eliminate all spousal benefits associated with marriage.

Wouldn't it be nice to get all that back money? Not gonna happen tho.

Deep thoughts, Clayton.

But I'm pretty sure the Congress that Ratified the 14th in 1868 were not focusing their efforts so that anyone could claim to be queer, then become "married" so they could enjoy married privilages.

But now that the GLBT community has revealed horrible consequences of discrimination, we should no doubt eliminate all spousal benefits associated with marriage.

The 14th is about equal protection under the law. The nice thing about it, is that it was written to NOT be limited to one thing only.

Deep thoughts, Clayton.

When Congress in 1868 ratified the 14th amendment they could have had it apply only to former slaves. They chose not to and used broader language

Prophetic

Just think of the money saved! No more military married benefits, extra moving allowances, base housing, etc. we're talking Billions here! Not to mention all the revenue when married folk don't get tax breaks anymore...

Just think of the money that would have to go to food stamps for families whose earnings fell short of being able to afford to buy food for their children!

Yeah, Seawytch, throw the book at those greedy minimum wage parents!

Conservatism has its uses--like paying attention to the $5000 toilet seats line items, etc., which wreaks of kickbacks to a pol.

What do those have to do with "getting government out of marriage"? Most of those "Welfare Queens" you derisively referred to are largely single working mothers. No marriage there. And forget Child Support...whose gonna enforce it? Not the gubmit...they're out of the biz in the Libertarian utopia espoused by a few here.

Forum List

Back