Marsha Blackburn: "Save the Incandescent Lightbulb!"

Just for anyone who wants a good laugh

Save The Incandescent Light Bulb U.S. Congressman Marsha Blackburn

House Rep Marsha Blackburn (TN) is sponsoring a bill (HR 91) to save the incandescent lightbulb.....

Really, this is real. She believes Obama's energy standards are going to lead to the incandescent lightbulb disappearing and not being available to middle class Americans. She lists this as one of her top 7 priorities for her current term in Congress.

What's up for next year Marsha? "Save the Fax Machine"? "Save the Dial-up Modem"? "Save the Pay Phone"?
Anybody with half a brain KNOWS the new bulbs contain Mercury. So while saving energy they are toxic for land fills and life as we know it.

We did NOT have that problem with the old bulbs. So you are saving a penny a month and killing the planet. That makes YOU the fool.

Only the one that have mercury are the fluorescent ones, and despite the fact that their output is much higher than standard fluorescent bulbs, they use far less mercury, and last far longer. So the amount of mercury going into the environment is far less from these bulks than what we have been using for 75 years. But then, you republicunts have never cared about the environment before, so why now?
See, that's why no one takes you seriously. You say stupid stuff.

If it is so stupid, why haven't you rebutted it? All you could manage was an ad hominem? Yeah, most republicunts tend to have that problem. I hate that for you.

yep. I thought i had seen it all but a Rightie caring about the environment? Thats a new one. Must be some short-term political gain in it no doubt ;)
Conservatives actually care about the environment. Liberals claim they do and then adopt policies that do the opposite. Recall that ethanol was a liberal cause.

Ethanol is mostly produced in red states.

So what ?

So read the thread. The other poster claimed ethanol is some sort of evil liberal scheme.

Where it is produced has what kind of connection to who started it ?

Ethanol was started by somebody (not liberals...there is no such thing) for some reason. Where it is produced...means what ?

What do you want, like, some sort of biofuel mandate that would prove some politicians legislated ethanol production?

Okay, Bush signed such a bill in 2007.

House Rep Marsha Blackburn (TN) is sponsoring a bill (HR 91) to save the incandescent lightbulb.....

Really, this is real. She believes Obama's energy standards are going to lead to the incandescent lightbulb disappearing and not being available to middle class Americans. She lists this as one of her top 7 priorities for her current term in Congress.

What's up for next year Marsha? "Save the Fax Machine"? "Save the Dial-up Modem"? "Save the Pay Phone"?

IF the CFL was the only alternative, I would support her. CFL is a shit source of light that exists mostly to move the light bulb manufacturing out of the USA and over to China. Obama's butt buddy Jeffery Immelt virtually admitted as much.

But, LED is a superior form of lighting, so no real need. CFL will die a quick death, and hopefully will damage GE deeply.

which bulbs are those? LEDs? high-efficiency halogens?
or are you worried about the CFL, the ones that save much more than a penny a month, are recyclable, and only contain about 5mg of Hg?

You're so full of shit, Comrade.

LED is significantly more efficient than CFL, is not hazardous, lasts 20 to 30 times longer (officially 6 to 8, but CFL lies*) and are now about $10 a bulb, so cheaper to deploy.

Standard Disclaimer: I said CFL lies. The claims that a CFL will last 10,000 hours is a lie - sort of. If you turn on a CFL and leave it on, you will indeed get about 10,000 hours out of it. But CFL is florescent, and like ALL florescent uses a ballast. You can turn the bulb on about 400 times before the ballast fails, In normal use, 800 to 1000 hours is all you get from a CFL - which is actually LESS than incandescent.

or are you worried about the CFL, the ones that save much more than a penny a month, are recyclable, and only contain about 5mg of Hg?

LED is significantly more efficient than CFL, is not hazardous, lasts 20 to 30 times longer (officially 6 to 8, but CFL lies*) and are now about $10 a bulb, so cheaper to deploy.

Standard Disclaimer: I said CFL lies. The claims that a CFL will last 10,000 hours is a lie - sort of. If you turn on a CFL and leave it on, you will indeed get about 10,000 hours out of it. But CFL is florescent, and like ALL florescent uses a ballast. You can turn the bulb on about 400 times before the ballast fails, In normal use, 800 to 1000 hours is all you get from a CFL - which is actually LESS than incandescent.

That's a lie because I know the new bulbs last a very long time I've been using them for many many many many years.

That's absolutely fine. I would fully support making LED the standard lightbulb in the country.

This thread isn't about how awesome CFL's are....it's about how stupid Marsha Blackburn's bill is.

The life of a CFL is significantly shorter if it is turned on and off frequently. In the case of a 5-minute on/off cycle the lifespan of some CFLs may be reduced to that of incandescent light bulbs. The U.S. Energy Star program suggests that fluorescent lamps be left on when leaving a room for less than 15 minutes to mitigate this problem.[20]

I guess in the one in a million scenario you're doing that, you might be right. lol

That's absolutely fine. I would fully support making LED the standard lightbulb in the country.

This thread isn't about how awesome CFL's are....it's about how stupid Marsha Blackburn's bill is.

What you don't grasp, because you're an assclown, is the market has once again taken care of the issue without need for the government to be involved. The ban of incandescent was to boost Jeffery Immelt in his move of American jobs to China. It never made any sense, CFL is shit technology, which is why America wouldn't buy it until forced to by the federal government.

LED is superior technology, no one needs to force anyone to use it, the benefits are obvious.

The cool thing is that CFL is essentially dead. I hope GE goes broke on the capital employed in China for their CFL scam. I hope Obama, Reid, and Pelosi all lose millions with the failure of their corrupt scheme - because you KNOW they have millions invested, which is why they made the law.

The life of a CFL is significantly shorter if it is turned on and off frequently. In the case of a 5-minute on/off cycle the lifespan of some CFLs may be reduced to that of incandescent light bulbs. The U.S. Energy Star program suggests that fluorescent lamps be left on when leaving a room for less than 15 minutes to mitigate this problem.[20]

I guess in the one in a million scenario you're doing that, you might be right. lol

Give it a rest, you mindless hack.

CFL's are shit, and EVERYONE knows it - even you.

Anybody with half a brain KNOWS the new bulbs contain Mercury. So while saving energy they are toxic for land fills and life as we know it.

We did NOT have that problem with the old bulbs. So you are saving a penny a month and killing the planet. That makes YOU the fool.

Only the one that have mercury are the fluorescent ones, and despite the fact that their output is much higher than standard fluorescent bulbs, they use far less mercury, and last far longer. So the amount of mercury going into the environment is far less from these bulks than what we have been using for 75 years. But then, you republicunts have never cared about the environment before, so why now?

You need to follow a gov't hazmat protocol if you drop a fluorescent bulb and break it.

Not true.

You don't with incandescents. Cfl bulbs are shit, the light they give off is extremely glaring and painful to those with light sensitivity, they hum constantly, they are not dimmable.

Every fixture in my apartment contains one of the new bulbs, and I've never heard a single one of them hum. You must be thinking of standard fluorescent bulbs. They last four times as long at an incandescent bulb, and though they cost more to purchase, saves you more in energy costs than the purchase cost. So you are saving money by purchasing one.

If they are so great people would have been buying them up and the incandescent bulbs would have gone by the wayside. Gov't (this mandate started under Bush btw) needn't have done a damn thing.

Europe stopped using incandescent bulbs long before we did. I don't see them complaining much, but then, they have always had to pay more for their energy than we have.

The bulbs work here perfectly. I have had some now for 9 years and still don't need to replace them. My electricity costs have gone down.

Marsha is a crazy lady who feeds bullshit to her constituents, knowing what she says is untrue. She's not the only one on the Right doing this.

Oh my, the Right is concerned with pollution.
Well gee whiz junky it was Nixon who signed the FIRST clean water and air acts. It was gun owners who started MANY programs to save wildlife like Ducks Unlimited. So yeah we are and have been for sometime.

As to your stupidity on this subject it's really simple. As to the death of the fax machine well tech improved. The bulb? No new tech just democratic mandate without thought or concern for people or for that matter the earth.

Replacing something SAFE with something DEADLY and mercury IS deadly is a fine example of short sighted regulation based thinking.

Cleaning Up a Broken CFL Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs CFLs US EPA

Before Cleanup
  • Have people and pets leave the room.
  • Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
  • Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
  • Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb:
    • stiff paper or cardboard;
    • sticky tape;
    • damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces); and
    • a glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.

During Cleanup

• DO NOT VACUUM. Vacuuming is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. Vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor.
  • Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder. Scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag. See the detailed cleanup instructions for more information, and for differences in cleaning up hard surfaces versus carpeting or rugs.
  • Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.

After Cleanup

• Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
  • Next, check with your local government about disposal requirements in your area, because some localities require fluorescent bulbs (broken or unbroken) be taken to a local recycling center. If there is no such requirement in your area, you can dispose of the materials with your household trash.
  • If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.
Yup, one bulb can make your home a toxic waste dump. And government calls that an improvement?

You need to follow a gov't hazmat protocol if you drop a fluorescent bulb and break it.

Not true.

You don't with incandescents. Cfl bulbs are shit, the light they give off is extremely glaring and painful to those with light sensitivity, they hum constantly, they are not dimmable.

Every fixture in my apartment contains one of the new bulbs, and I've never heard a single one of them hum. You must be thinking of standard fluorescent bulbs. They last four times as long at an incandescent bulb, and though they cost more to purchase, saves you more in energy costs than the purchase cost. So you are saving money by purchasing one.

If they are so great people would have been buying them up and the incandescent bulbs would have gone by the wayside. Gov't (this mandate started under Bush btw) needn't have done a damn thing.

Europe stopped using incandescent bulbs long before we did. I don't see them complaining much, but then, they have always had to pay more for their energy than we have.

The bulbs work here perfectly. I have had some now for 9 years and still don't need to replace them. My electricity costs have gone down.
Nice to hear you SUPPORT toxins in your home. And on the earth. For OTHER people to clean up.

^Plus. There are recycle stations. And the people too stupid to know how to find them were accounted for in statistics. (that's you OP ;) )

Why do we need recycle stations for light bulbs?

Well gee whiz junky it was Nixon who signed the FIRST clean water and air acts. It was gun owners who started MANY programs to save wildlife like Ducks Unlimited. So yeah we are and have been for sometime.

As to your stupidity on this subject it's really simple. As to the death of the fax machine well tech improved. The bulb? No new tech just democratic mandate without thought or concern for people or for that matter the earth.

Replacing something SAFE with something DEADLY and mercury IS deadly is a fine example of short sighted regulation based thinking.

Before Cleanup
  • Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
  • Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
    • sticky tape;

During Cleanup

• DO NOT VACUUM. Vacuuming is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. Vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor.
  • Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder. Scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag. See the detailed cleanup instructions for more information, and for differences in cleaning up hard surfaces versus carpeting or rugs.

After Cleanup

• Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials, including vacuum cleaner bags, outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
  • Next, check with your local government about disposal requirements in your area, because some localities require fluorescent bulbs (broken or unbroken) be taken to a local recycling center. If there is no such requirement in your area, you can dispose of the materials with your household trash.
  • If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.
Yup, one bulb can make your home a toxic waste dump. And government calls that an improvement?

These clowns could fuckup a wetdream.

Before Cleanup
    • sticky tape;

During Cleanup

After Cleanup

Two milligrams of mercury oxide does not a toxic waste dump make.

^Plus. There are recycle stations. And the people too stupid to know how to find them were accounted for in statistics. (that's you OP ;) )

Before the changeover, there were recycle stations where you could drop off your fluorescent bulbs. How is today any different? I really think the problem here is you people somehow believe you have a God-given right to waste finite energy resources. You don't.

Not true.

Yes, you are suppose to follow a certain protocol when cleaning up a broken cfl.

Before Cleanup
    • sticky tape;

During Cleanup

After Cleanup

All that because a light bulb shattered on the floor. No thanks.

The light they give off is harsh and annoying, yes they do hum I hear them humming in stores quite frequently. LEDs are better and the price on them will continue to drop, cfls will be history. None of that is the point, though. The point is that if newer technology is better then people will use it, no need for government to once again butt in and mandate anything.

Not true.

Yes, you are suppose to follow a certain protocol when cleaning up a broken cfl.

Before Cleanup
    • sticky tape;

During Cleanup

After Cleanup

All that because a light bulb shattered on the floor. No thanks.

The light they give off is harsh and annoying, yes they do hum I hear them humming in stores quite frequently. LEDs are better and the price on them will continue to drop, cfls will be history. None of that is the point, though. The point is that if newer technology is better then people will use it, no need for government to once again butt in and mandate anything.

You hear overhead standard fluorescent bulbs humming in the store. The high output bulbs do not hum. I have them in every fixture in my apartment except one. Not a hum out of any of them, though the overhead standard fluorescent bulbs in my kitchen do hum, and yes are very annoying. The newer technology is better in every way. Incandescent light bulbs waste far too much energy to be allowed anymore. Sorry if energy efficiency hurts your feelings. Too bad. Interesting that the EPA created energy efficiency standards for computers (i.e., Energy Star), and no one complained.

Before the changeover, there were recycle stations where you could drop off your fluorescent bulbs. How is today any different? I really think the problem here is you people somehow believe you have a God-given right to waste finite energy resources. You don't.

I have the God given right to use as much energy that I'm willing to pay for.

You say energy is finite? Prove it!

Forum List

Back