Mayor bass plans to house homeless in hotels

It's a good idea to lease the units that are empty. Studies have proven the cost savings is dramatically reduced. Less costs to city and county facilities, ie; fire, police, first responders, medical clinics and hospitals.
I definitely want to stay at a hotel downtown with drug addicts and mentally ill people in the room next-door

I posit the upsurge in homelessness in the US is due to the decades of corporate profit outstripping increase in wages, resulting in more poverty. More poverty results in more drug abuse which exacerbates mental health issues, and if you will recall, the US basically got rid of our mental health system back in the 80's. So it is complicated. Putting them in hotels is definitely not the answer, but I dont have a better one.

Because it's a state issue. Most of those homeless aren't from LA.
In Ventura County where I live, the jail is on the Westend of the County. If you are picked up in Simi Valley, which is on the Eastend bordering LA County, the released with no home, no transportation, and no money end up on the streets vagrant far away from where they were originally.

In Ventura County where I live, the jail is on the Westend of the County. If you are picked up in Simi Valley, which is on the Eastend bordering LA County, the released with no home, no transportation, and no money end up on the streets vagrant far away from where they were originally.
Well, by definition you cannot take them home.

County jail has become the mental facility of first resort.

What would you suggest?
For the majority of homeless -- adopting decent values, working hard, and making something of themselves.

For those who are mentally ill, provide them treatment. The earlier the intervention, the better.

What would you suggest?

What do you suggest would help provide the proper incentive ...
A hotel room, hot meal and a shower?

No one is stopping you from going to the park and convincing a few that you really care.

In the past (and no longer) CJ would issue a bus/meal voucher upon release at 5am.
Right now, homeless are just ran from on jurisdiction to another, not solving the problem. I live in centeral indiana and every time we have a big event, cops run the homeless out of down town, lots more of them show up in the burbs for a few weeks, where the cops harasses them until they go back and the event is over. Seems like we need a better plan, or any plan. to me.

Forum List

Back